RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What diet and how much training to

What diet and how much training to go from 190lbs and some fat to 200lbs on the lean side? I've been in decent shape in the past. The last time I was in the gym on the regular was in 2000. I used mostly supplements and meal replacements. I don't want to do that again.

I'm trying to get back in the gym, but I don't want to get huge. In 2002 I got up to 204lbs.

This is me at 28.(1998) Not the greatest pic b/c its a still from a video.

This is me at age 32.(2002)
    And this is the ideal size for me.

This is me at age 34. I am 185lbs here. I am at 191lbs and that is b/c of some fat in my stomach area. Nothing really noticeble. I am an IT professional, so I sit most of the day. Only real time I can work out is after work. I would like to know what I need to buy from the grocery store, so I eat the right stuff.
    Last edited by RoganR; 12-28-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, you're still in good condition - and you have the advantage of muscle memory, which means it will be easier to build back up to that size again than if you'd never been there.

I'm guessing by looking at you that your diet is not far off, and with a little attention and some more regular workouts, you will probably see good results.

As for diet, these are the standard ingredients for clean eating:

oatmeal
    eggs
    plain yogurt
    fat free cottage cheese
    applesauce
    fresh fruit of all kinds
    broccoli
    green beans
    sweet potatoes
    peanut butter
    almonds
    greens (lettuce, spinach, mustard greens, collards, kale)
    skinless chicken breast
    ground buffalo/buffalo burgers
    lean steaks (such as filet, and a well-trimmed NY strip)
    turkey breast
    ground turkey
    turkey bacon
    salmon
    tuna

Eat often - every 3 hours. Have a higher carb meal about 1-2 hours before you work out, and have a dex/whey (or other simple carb with whey) shake as soon as possible after working out.

dbflgirl has a great general post that might be too basic for you (it's aimed at newbies) but may help... let me see if I can find it.

Here is a link to fantastic info re: pre and post workout meals:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

As for working out - I think that you will get almost as many answers as there are people on the forum - but one thing they will have in common is consistency, and change. That is, you need to work out consistently, but you need to change it (reps, weights) nearly every workout - and chance workouts every 8 weeks or so.

Last edited by empresscat; 12-28-2006 at 09:28 PM.

empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)

the basics - from dbflgirl

First off, you need to find your maintenance calories – this is the number of calories you need to stay at your current weight.

Step 1 – Find your BMR

Katch-McArdle formula (if you know your bodyfat %): BMR = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Harris Benedict (if you don’t): http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Step 2 – Multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor. This will give you your maintenance calories. To lose, eat 15%-20% less.

•Little or no exercise: 1.2
    •Light exercise/sports 1-3 days a week: 1.375
    •Moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days a week: 1.55
    •Hard exercises/sports 6-7 days a week: 1.725
    •Extra active – training 2x per day, extremely physical job etc. :1.9

Food Guidelines:

- Eat every 2-3 hours -- this will result in 6-7 meals per day
    - Keep each meal roughly the same size
    - Eat lean protein, starchy or fibrous carbs and healthy fats at every meal (exceptions below)
    - Eat as close to nature as possible -- no processed foods, no sugar, no white flour
    - Get between 1 - 1.5 g protein per pound of body weight, evenly split across your meals
    - Get between .3 - .4 g fat per pound of bodyweight, evenly split across your meals (except post workout)
    - Fill in with complex carbs to reach your desired calorie level
    - Cluster starchy carbs at breakfast, preworkout and postworkout
    - Have whey protein shakes postworkout only
    - Make your last meal of the day protein + fat only
    - EAT YOUR VEGGIES
    - Supplement with multi-vitamin, multi-mineral and EFAs

Lean proteins: Boneless, skinless chicken or turkey; egg whites; tofu; protein powder; ostrich; buffalo; top round beef (aka London Broil); canned tuna; fish and shellfish (including fatty fish like salmon, catfish and mackerel); cottage cheese; yogurt

Starchy carbs: Oats; brown rice; quinoa; sweet potato; beans (kidney, black, pinto, northern, white, etc.); legumes (lentils); Ezekiel/sprouted bread; whole wheat pasta; whole grain bread (in moderation - very processed)

Fibrous carbs: Pretty much any vegetable, especially green ones. Broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, artichokes, escarole, kale, green beans, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuces

Healthy fats: Seeds (esp. ground flax), extra virgin olive oil, salmon and other fatty fish, nuts and nut butters (walnuts and almonds are great), avocado, coconut oil

Fruits: Strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, apples, pears

Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000) Storm442 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Another excellent post, Empress!
    Can't add anything to your advice, you've covered it all.

RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10) RoganR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The diet list will help me a lot. Thanks a million.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Storm442 View Post
    Another excellent post, Empress!
    Can't add anything to your advice, you've covered it all.
    LOL!!!!

Well I *tried* to give credit!

Rogan - be sure to keep us updated on your progress.
    Consider starting a journal thread.
    Last edited by empresscat; 12-29-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Lance1Woods has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Check the dolce diet
    Lance Woods
    Personal Trainer
    Dynamic Strength Coach
    XeLance Fitness Solutions

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Lance1Woods View Post
    Check the dolce diet
    You're bumping a thread from 2006.

Hopefully the OP has figured it out by now.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)