PinkFloyd4me has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinkFloyd4me has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinkFloyd4me has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinkFloyd4me has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is sushi fattening?

Is sushi fattening? would u eat it if you wanted to lose 40 lbs? thanks

bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it would depend on what you get on the menu. i know there is some mayo in some of those rolls, and some of the stuff is fried too

PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50) PROTOSSterone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    as long as it fits into your macros....... for the 10000th time on here.

Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50) Synima will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Remember to look at the ingridients as most pre-packaged sushi has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. Which is not something I'd reccomend for anyone trying to lose weight.

I know they are now making Brown Rice Sushi Rolls, I'd go for those over the White Rice Versions.

mthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would think as long as yuo werent gettign any taht were fried or made with mayo, you should be ok.. most sushi is made with a decent white rice and then they use a oil (right now i cant remember which kind it was, not sure if it was OO or a VegO) that is added to help make the rice more "sticky" so it can be compacted and i dont think there is anything bad with seaweed.. so ifyou were doing more of the raw fishy types like tuna/eal/salmon etc. should be ok..

could always to a look up of the sushi making material (that is if you are eating this at a restaraunt and not pre packaged) as most of them will make it about the same way and check it out for yourself to see the nutritional falue of it..

my log says taht for 1 piece of "sushi, with vegetables, rolled in seaweed" is 30cal Cal from fat1 Fat 0g, Sodium 25mg potassium 17mg Carb7g protein 1g, and then has low viatims and some other stuff..
    So add some fish and jsut goes up a lil the one that says w/ veg and fish (doestn mention seaweed) is pretty much the same just 6 more cals some cholesterol more sodim and potass and lil more on teh vitamins and other %s... thats what mine shows

Kermy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PinkFloyd4me View Post
    Is sushi fattening? would u eat it if you wanted to lose 40 lbs? thanks
    Copy and paste of my reply in the Nutrition forum:

Depends on what roll and when you eat it. If you're talking about california rolls then that's a cheat unless it's PWO, but even then that's iffy. Think about what goes into a California roll.

California Roll Ingredients:
    White Rice (Sushi rice combined with sugar and rice vinegar)
    Crab (Usually imitation crab meat consisting of pollock [fish], sugar and other artificial ingredients)
    Avocado
    Cucumber
    And depending on the recipe there might even be mayonaise.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sushi but only as a cheat meal. No ifs and/or buts. I love my shrimp tempura (deep fried), soba noodles (carb heaven), chicken teriyaki (chicken thighs smothered in sugar rich sauce), soft shell crab rolls (see California roll but replace imitation crab with deep fried crab), and all the soy sauce (sodium!).

However, because I only like the rolls and not the sashimi it's a cheat meal to ME. If you only eat sashimi then it's not a cheat meal.

End.

If I were to make sushi for myself I'd replace the rice with brown rice (without the sugar and rice vinegar), replace the imitation crab with tuna, salmon, or chicken breast and replace the soy sauce with low sodium soy sauce.
    2/1/06 - Approximately 275 lbs
    7/14/06 - 236 lbs
    7/21/06 - 229.75 lbs
    8/3/06 - 224 lbs
    9/14/06 - 208 lbs
    11/9/06 - 199.5 lbs
    Goal - 200 lbs by 11/24/06. Reached!
    New Goal - 190 by New Years.
    12/7/06 - 195 lbs
    12/14/06 - 192.3 lbs
    12/21/06 - 193.6 lbs <--- FOCK!!!! Damn chocolate!

TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000) TheNewestGuy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would definitely not count it as a cheat meal, unless I was eating 5 rolls.

Most sushi is not fattening. There are a few that are.

Most of them include white rice, fish, some vegetables and maybe seaweed. The crappier ones have mayo or sugar or other garbage. You'll know by seeing it.

The best bet is to go sashimi, which is usually just white rice and sushi-grade fish. You get a bunch of protein and some good fats, and the rice is the worst part of it. I can deal with a little white rice without calling it a cheat meal.

bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bear82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The best bet is to go sashimi, which is usually just white rice and sushi-grade fish. You get a bunch of protein and some good fats, and the rice is the worst part of it. I can deal with a little white rice without calling it a cheat meal.
    What he means is eat the actual sushi, not hand rolls. The sashimi is just the slice of fish with no rice. I like tuna and salmon sushi slices, but only from a good sushi place. If they don't know how to slice the fish it can be funky. The rice carbs can really add up with both rolls and sushi. Usually I get an order of steamed chicken w/ veggies and get an order of tuna sushi. Or, u can get the sashimi and put it on brown rice with the other food. Asian food is extremely healthy if you can avoid the sodium.
    TRY doesn't exist...
    what you CAN do doesn't matter...
    only your accomplishments prove who you are

The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10) exhibita is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not alot I can ad..but this.

The sugar in sushi rice is a non concern. There's about 2 tablespoons of suger per 3 cups of -dry- rice...or 6 cups of cooked. That's -alot- of sushi rice.

Each piece of sushi contains approx. 11 to 15g of carbs. So it really comes down to how much space you have in your macros for the day.

The upside? Fish. Fresh fish at that. Fresh -raw- fish..which means more of the real good stuff is intact.

Personally, I think there's alot worse fast foods you could eat.

Just stay away from the fake (the fake crab meat), and stuff covered with sugary sauces (eel) and stuff with lots of mayo.. (spicy tuna). Oh yea..and lay off the wasabi...

Like anything, you have to read a little. Take a look at the menu and look at whats in the piece you want to order.
    Chris

Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Random907 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tempura Maki...........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and Dynamite rolls..... ooooh.

Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rice = Carbohydrate
    Current Weight 178lbs
    Personal Records
    Olympic Back Squat ( To the floor) 150kg.
    Front Squat 127.5kg ( Dec 2010)
    Clean and Jerk 92.5kg (12/15/2010)
    Rack Jerk 95kg ( Dec 2010)
    Power Clean 100kg ( Dec 2010)
    Snatch 67.5kg (12/15/2010)
    Power Snatch 70kg ( Dec 2010)
    Bench 300lb x 3 ( I don't bench anymore. Doing Olympic lifting now)
    Parallel Squat: 405lb
    Deadlift: 465lb x 1
    Closed Heavy Grip 200# for reps....I need to get the 250

aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aznAnimal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    order sashami
    its sushi w/o the rice
    or brown rice but only some places offer those

but generally sushi is alot better than other stuff liek burgers sandwhichs etc

BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000) BNR is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm cutting and I love sushi, but lately I've just been ordering sashimi

bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hurri View Post
    as long as it fits into your macros....... for the 10000th time on here.
    dude, macros aren't everything. just because you stay within your macros doesnt mean you are eating a proper diet. if you dont like answering these questions, stop answering them

flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexedbiceps is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sushi would be fine. Just look to see what is in them first.
    Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.

Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The fundamentals of Sushi are Japanese Rice, Rice Vinegar and Seaweed. Typical ingedients are veggies and fish/meat/poultry. Typical garnishments are fish eggs or Sesame Seeds.

At this point the highest calorie ingredient is the sushi rice.

Of course there is sushi with japanese mayo, tempura (dipped in an egg/flour batter and fried) etc.

If you want the lowest calorie sushi I suggest:

1. Sashimi which are pieces of raw fish. The fish is very fresh so the texture is firm and crisp. Its not what you will find in a grocery store fish market! How its cut also enhances texture. They usually prepare sashimi with rice vinegar too.

2. Ask for Cucumber to be substituted for Sushi Rice. They will wrap the roll in these thin, long slices of cucumber that taste good. The downside is that people tend to use more soy sauce with cucumber rolls because there is no rice vinegar used.

Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack Bauer FL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is from CalorieKing.com's Calorie counter book:

Sushi Rolls per each piece: (with either salmon, shrimp, tuna, yellow tail, eel or crab + creamcheese or veggies)

Small 1 1/8 size = 25 cals .5g fat 3.5g carbs
    Medium 1 3/4 size = 50 cals 1g fat 7g carbs
    Large 2 1/4 size = 60 cals 1.5g fat 9g carbs

A Handroll (where they give you a cone shape wrap) is 120 cals 2g fat 18g carbs

Sashimi averages 105 cals for Squid to 165 cals for Yellowtail. Each serving of Sashimi is 4 oz

Miso Soup averages 85 cals, traditional miso soup is 650 cals

Sake Wine is 115 cals per 3oz serving.

Check out the Calorie King Calorie, Fat and Carb Counter book for other sushi counts, this book is the most extensive i have seen, has all the fast foods and name brands, is full color and even has details on cooking oils, fiber, iron, protein, cholesteral etc. I use both their software and their book.

In short, you can have 4 oz of Sashi for 165 calories or a small sushi roll for about the same calorie count.