Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Neck Injury after Dumbell Shoulder Press

I lifted the weights to do shoulder press (67lb dumbells) and pulled a muscle on my neck. Its been 4 days and still the neck is stiff. I have been using bengay rub but still no luck. Any recommendations?

This is where the pain is:
    -Misc Cologne Crew-

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Skyline89 View Post
    I lifted the weights to do shoulder press (67lb dumbells) and pulled a muscle on my neck. Its been 4 days and still the neck is stiff. I have been using bengay rub but still no luck. Any recommendations?
    For a mild muscle strain it will take 1-2 weeks to go away. Do some slow and light head rolls and assisted passive stretching (very gentle - don't crank away at it). I'd have someone look at it if things aren't pretty much back to normal after 14 days. Sometimes things that appear to be muscular can be more complicated (e.g., vertebral).

BenGay and all of that might help alleviate or distract you from the discomfort but it won't cure anything. Try some ice or ice/heat combos for swelling & muscle; actually after 4 days, I'd probably just use a heating pad.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    For a mild muscle strain it will take 1-2 weeks to go away. Do some slow and light head rolls and assisted passive stretching (very gentle - don't crank away at it). I'd have someone look at it if things aren't pretty much back to normal after 14 days. Sometimes things that appear to be muscular can be more complicated (e.g., vertebral).

BenGay and all of that might help alleviate or distract you from the discomfort but it won't cure anything. Try some ice or ice/heat combos for swelling & muscle; actually after 4 days, I'd probably just use a heating pad.
    Thanks. I cant wait 14 days! I want to get back to the gym asap lol.. but ye I will try heating pads and etc. Reps on recharge.
    -Misc Cologne Crew-

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Skyline89 View Post
    Thanks. I cant wait 14 days! I want to get back to the gym asap lol.. but ye I will try heating pads and etc. Reps on recharge.
    I've strained my neck a dozen times or more. More times than not I just ran a reduced intensity or volume routine because I couldn't get it through my thick head that a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. What I'm saying is I know exactly how you feel, but with the benefit of hindsight I can assure you that going easy for a week won't negatively affect you.

On a side note, I have degenerative disease of the cervical vertebra and it is no fun. Stiff and painful neck and it has affected my shoulder (just had surgery). I doubt the neck strains I've had in the past were significant contributors but you never know. Take care of yourself.

Try SCE to AUX

I've strained my neck a dozen times or more. More times than not I just ran a reduced intensity or volume routine because I couldn't get it through my thick head that a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. What I'm saying is I know exactly how you feel, but with the benefit of hindsight I can assure you that going easy for a week won't negatively affect you.

On a side note, I have degenerative disease of the cervical vertebra and it is no fun. Stiff and painful neck and it has affected my shoulder (just had surgery). I doubt the neck strains I've had in the past were significant contributors but you never know. Take care of yourself.
    Thanks. I hope its nothing severe like yours. I remember having these pains in the exact same area after the same workout before. It sucks man but what can you do..
    -Misc Cologne Crew-

kebbun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hey buddy I strained my neck doing shoulder press a few to many and I'm worried if it slowly weakens my cervical disk. I dont care about the neck muscle as strains can always heal, but I would like to know what excersizes lead to neck injuries? I don't need another bad disc because I have one already in my back.

Originally Posted by kebbun View Post
    hey buddy I strained my neck doing shoulder press a few to many and I'm worried if it slowly weakens my cervical disk. I dont care about the neck muscle as strains can always heal, but I would like to know what excersizes lead to neck injuries? I don't need another bad disc because I have one already in my back.
    I wouldn't attribute any specific exercise to neck strains. I think there are factors that can increase the chance of injuring the neck. These have been the biggest contributors:

1) Failure to maintain a symmetric posture throughout a lift. For example, turning or twist head during bench, especially incline. That is, any sort of twisting trying to eek out the last inch of the movement or looking over to the pegs to rack.
    2) Extreme angles between head and shoulders. For example, throwing the head back too far during military or DB presses during an explosive movement. Extreme loads (dynamic) on the shoulders are transmitted up to the neck because of how the shoulder blades hang off the trap muscles.
    3) Pushing back against the bench with head while performing lift. I'm especially bad about this on bench press.
    4) Exaggerated upward head angle during hard pulls such as deadlift and even squats, but deadlifts are the worst. Do not exaggerate the head angle.

These are strictly based on my own experience and opinion.
    Last edited by mslman71; 06-26-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Try SCE to AUX

kebbun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't attribute any specific exercise to neck strains. I think there are factors that can increase the chance of injuring the neck. These have been the biggest contributors:

1) Failure to maintain a symmetric posture throughout a lift. For example, turning or twist head during bench, especially incline. That is, any sort of twisting trying to eek out the last inch of the movement or looking over to the pegs to rack.
    2) Extreme angles between head and shoulders. For example, throwing the head back too far during military or DB presses during an explosive movement. Extreme loads (dynamic) on the shoulders are transmitted up to the neck because of how the shoulder blades hang off the trap muscles.
    3) Pushing back against the bench with head while performing lift. I'm especially bad about this on bench press.
    4) Exaggerated upward head angle during hard pulls such as deadlift and even squats, but deadlifts are the worst. Do not exaggerate the head angle.

These are strictly based on my own experience and opinion.
    I think that just might be it, pushing my head against the bench too much on seated db shoulder press jacked up my neck a bit. It feels like the disc this time not the muscle much deeper, nothing too serious tho. The above info helps much respect. I'll be buying a head harness to strengthen my neck as I hate to do neck bridges.

My pain is goin on and off.. but I am happy its not as bad as before.
    -Misc Cologne Crew-

mcircelli has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kebbun View Post
    I think that just might be it, pushing my head against the bench too much on seated db shoulder press jacked up my neck a bit. It feels like the disc this time not the muscle much deeper, nothing too serious tho. The above info helps much respect. I'll be buying a head harness to strengthen my neck as I hate to do neck bridges.
    I'm getting the same thing right now! i feel like the pain is in the actual spine and not the muscle.

JimSartre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Take a nice muscle relaxant and take it before you sleep. Take the day ooff from the gym tomorrow and take two muscle relacan't one after breakfast and one after dinner.

You should be 100% ok day after.

Happy gym ming!

killthehustle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All you need is a deep massage. I had the same problem couldent move my head. My girlfriend massaged the mess out of it for a half an hr. It was painful but after that it was game over.