Closed Thread
    Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Whey Protein (acid reflux @ night)

Never used to have this happen, but whenever I have a nice 2 or 3 scoop Whey Protein shake before going to bed I wake up within an hour or so with major acid reflux and heart burn. This never used to happen to me. It has been 4 or 5 years ago since I have been back in the gym. It bums me out because I know I get extra muscle growth at night with a gut full of quality protein.

I guess my question is does this happen to anyone else here and does anyone know what other forms of protein I could try that might sit better as I sleep ?

I guess I don't digest stuff as well as I used to and I'm only 41
    The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.

WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did you switch brands or what brand are you using? With milk or water?
    Non Smoker since August 1, 2007

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. ~ Frank A. Clark

Onomatopoeia == good buzz bhaputi's Avatar
    bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No idea on the reflux, but why not do something a little longer lasting like Cottace Cheese instead?

mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfsteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Now that I think about it, I've been having a meal replacement shake before bed instead of a whey shake and I haven't been waking up with heartburn for a while. Hmm... my whey product has cholesterol but the MRP doesn't. Wonder if that's it. This is pure speculation of course and I still have a glass of baking soda and water on the night-stand just in case.

Something to try maybe.

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eat a pickle before going to bed - I haven't had acid reflux since I started doing so whenever I have a late snack/meal.

btw - it's the vinegar that does the trick, not the pickle - it's just the pickle makes the vinegar palitable.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A simple solution would be to ingest a quality meal before bed and to utilize supplemental nutrition earlier in the day.

If you choose to continue with the before-bed shakes, just systematically eliminate any variables (sodium, different acids, etc.) in different protein products. Employing the elimination method, you'll soon find your culprit.

Good luck. Acid reflux is no fun.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You may find that if you have your protein shake about an hour before going to bed, that you may alleviate the symptoms.

If you are prone to acid reflux, you should not lie down immediately after ingesting something.

Another thing: what are you mixing the whey with? If you are using milk or yogurt, that adds to the materials that must be digested, and this will increase the amount of acid in your stomach. If you have a hiatus hernia, that extra acid spills over when lie down, giving the reflux and heartburn.

I suffer from this stuff too. Good luck.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Usually, I take a tablespoon or so of Apple Vinegar. It puts more acid in my stomach.

I remember after Thanksgiving lunch several years ago I had acid reflux so bad I thought I might have to go the emergency room. Seriously, my body was reacting very strange and scary. I went into the kitchen pantry and drank about 1/4 cup of Apple Vinegar, a real taste thriller. I ddn't get immediate relief, but after about 20 minutes my reflux was gone, and I could taste the Vinegar for hours afterward. Yuk!

Dairy products create a type of food in your stomach called chyme. I've never seen it, but I'd guess it's like a ball of milk stuff. It might be compared to cottage cheese in consistency, but more firmly packed. Chyme takes more acid to break down into basic components the way I understand it. I understand that the combination of stomach acids and dairy products actually combined create the Chyme. Then it would appear your stomach doesn't have enough acid left over to properly digest the rest of what you have eaten.

Acid reflux is basically treated just the opposite of how you would think. You don't need anti-acid to cure reflux, you need more acid.

I've known many bodybuilder friends who have suffered some darn serious acid reflux. My opinion of course, after you're taking smaller meals more often during the day your body adjusts by producing less stomach acids to aid in digestion. Then if you do overeat (more than usual) you will have acid reflux, and it it can be tough.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    Usually, I take a tablespoon or so of Apple Vinegar. It puts more acid in my stomach.

I remember after Thanksgiving lunch several years ago I had acid reflux so bad I thought I might have to go the emergency room. Seriously, my body was reacting very strange and scary. I went into the kitchen pantry and drank about 1/4 cup of Apple Vinegar, a real taste thriller. I ddn't get immediate relief, but after about 20 minutes my reflux was gone, and I could taste the Vinegar for hours afterward. Yuk!

Dairy products create a type of food in your stomach called chyme. I've never seen it, but I'd guess it's like a ball of milk stuff. It might be compared to cottage cheese in consistency, but more firmly packed. Chyme takes more acid to break down into basic components the way I understand it. I understand that the combination of stomach acids and dairy products actually combined create the Chyme. Then it would appear your stomach doesn't have enough acid left over to properly digest the rest of what you have eaten.

Acid reflux is basically treated just the opposite of how you would think. You don't need anti-acid to cure reflux, you need more acid.

I've known many bodybuilder friends who have suffered some darn serious acid reflux. My opinion of course, after you're taking smaller meals more often during the day your body adjusts by producing less stomach acids to aid in digestion. Then if you do overeat (more than usual) you will have acid reflux, and it it can be tough.
    Hence the vinegar. The way my doctor put it, the ph of the stomach acid is too high (less acidic) in some individuals so the body creates an excess amount of it. By increasing the acidity (lowering the ph) inside of the stomach (w/ vinegar, etc) - the body doesn't need to produce as much stomach acid, ergo the instances of acid reflux goes down.

However, eating pickles is much better than drinking vinegar; granted though it probably isn't as effective - but it still works.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is it chocolate? Chocolate can relax the esophogeal sphincter and for people with the GERD is a food to be avoided.

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black Sunday View Post
    Is it chocolate? Chocolate can relax the esophogeal sphincter and for people with the GERD is a food to be avoided.
    I love chocolate, that's why I know it won't work for me. Everything that works for me has to taste like...

What was it the aborigine said in Crocodile Dundee said... "It takes like S**t"

Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000) Black Sunday is just really nice. (+1000)
    I love chocolate, that's why I know it won't work for me. Everything that works for me has to taste like...

What was it the aborigine said in Crocodile Dundee said... "It takes like S**t"
    I think maybe you misunderstood. Chocolate can cause acid reflux. When the sphincer muscle relaxes acid can back up into the eso****us. Lying down might make it easier for the acid to back up, not sure about that, just seems reasonable.

Spent Christmas morning in the hospital. Did a little drinking the night before and ended up throwing up blood. I had reflux for a couple of hours while lying down, Good chance it was the chocolate bar I had while filling up at the gas station.

If you suffer from acid reflux chocolate should be avoided.

cheers

steve

Serious issues and chocolate aggravated that... Whew!

I love semi-sweet chocolate covered almonds. I eat 10 or 12 a day.

Plain almonds are great as well, but sometimes I got have the chocolate.

I've got a friend that hits the chocolate often during the day. Something about falling apart and needing to pull it together * B.S. of course. LOL

Serious issues and chocolate aggravated that... Whew!

I love semi-sweet chocolate covered almonds. I eat 10 or 12 a day.

Plain almonds are great as well, but sometimes I got have the chocolate.

I've got a friend that hits the chocolate often during the day. Something about falling apart and needing to pull it together * B.S. of course. LOL
    I've had my share of alcohol over the past 37 years. My drinking has run the gamut from weekend to daily to almost non existent. You're never to old to learn and I learned the hard way that an empty stomach, booze and a chocolate bar is not a good combo.

I'm not supposed to have sugar or booze for that matter, because of my bout with cancer. I've been pretty succesful in cutting way down on both. I do enjoy some chocolate from time to time. Doctors be damned, no one can tell me how long i have left, so i aim to enjoy whatever time i have left.

BlackSunday

Cool.

BB should be real help for fighting cancer, especially if you are healthy enough to effectively train.

BB requires very disciplined lifestyle, eating all the right stuff is critical.

Eating clean/right and exercise are very viable components for developing your body, so they should be viable for fighting cancer as well.
    Last edited by domineaux; 06-29-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Bringing back farmer tans Scott_32's Avatar
    Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scott_32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can't eat or drink anything including water within an hour of going to sleep, or I get horrible heartburn/reflux. Been like that for years, and I'm only 26. Some people are just cursed with it. Protein shakes give me reflux sometimes in teh middle of the day. Just learn to deal with it I guess. But I've found charcoal pills(cheap as hell from a pharmacy) work the best to prevent it.
    -Your anger is a gift-

Originally Posted by Scott_32 View Post
    I can't eat or drink anything including water within an hour of going to sleep, or I get horrible heartburn/reflux. Been like that for years, and I'm only 26. Some people are just cursed with it. Protein shakes give me reflux sometimes in teh middle of the day. Just learn to deal with it I guess. But I've found charcoal pills(cheap as hell from a pharmacy) work the best to prevent it.
    Stress can be a big contributor to reflux as well.

Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ronboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the input!!!!
    Sorry I have not been able to post sooner with some info. I went to shopping and found this Isopure drink (grape) which I've been drinking after nightly WO's and am happy to report I have not had any acid reflux while using it.
    I also got a hold of some papaya chewable pills that have some sort on enzeme in them that taste great and aid digestion (cheap).

Here is a photo of the stuff I took tonight if anyone has never heard of it.
    40 grams of Whey protein with no carbs...pretty cool, and taste ok

Last edited by Ronboski; 07-02-2007 at 09:23 PM.
    The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.

amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Aside from not eating anything within an hour of going to bed (not even water), you can also try elevating the head of your bed a few inches. A couple 2x4s should do the trick. This will help keep the stomach acid from draining into your throat. My doctor suggested this and it does seem to help a bit.