Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayjoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

amino acid vs. whey protien

I usually drink lots of casein and whey.
    I just got a new product from ON called Amino Energy.
    It has amino acids which I understand to be the parts of protein.
    So if I can get the amino acids for cheaper, tastier and less calories, why do I need whey?
    And a general chemistry question, what is difference between protein and amino acids?

let me know

Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) Watcher will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    proteins are made of amino acid chains and other complex structures..many, many amino acids joined together.

So before your body gets amino acids it needs for recovery,growth etc it has to break down protein.

Thats why when you have amino acids added to protein powder, its beneficial.

Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajk_Lpool is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jayjoe View Post
    I usually drink lots of casein and whey.
    It has amino acids which I understand to be the parts of protein.
    So if I can get the amino acids for cheaper, tastier and less calories, why do I need whey?
    And a general chemistry question, what is difference between protein and amino acids?

let me know
    To keep it simple; amino acids are the building blocks that make protein.

Do you need them to supplement with them individually? No. Providing your protein intake is adequate, they're practically useless. Some people will argue the anabolic effects of BCAA's that contain leucine. However, if you eat food high in leucine which you undoubtedly will if you're a bodybuilder, this also eliminates the need to supplement with them.

Still a bit of debate going on around the use of amino's, but my personal opinion is that money can be spent far more efficiently elsewhere.

Further reading: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bcaa.htm

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ajk_Lpool View Post
    To keep it simple; amino acids are the building blocks that make protein.

Do you need them to supplement with them individually? No. Providing your protein intake is adequate, they're practically useless. Some people will argue the anabolic effects of BCAA's that contain leucine. However, if you eat food high in leucine which you undoubtedly will if you're a bodybuilder, this also eliminates the need to supplement with them.

Still a bit of debate going on around the use of amino's, but my personal opinion is that money can be spent far more efficiently elsewhere.

Further reading: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bcaa.htm

I would mostly agree with this, the focus is of course to get your required protein intake. This covers your bases. Amino acid intake should only be done if and when you fully understand why you're doing so and the benefits you hope to achieve from them are clear. Otherwise the money is likely not being well spent.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

bradstadler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Amino acids are the basic building blocks of enzymes, hormones, proteins, and body tissues.

There are 23 or so amino acids are the molecular building blocks of proteins. Nine of these 23 amino acids are termed indispensable amino acids (IAA, sometimes called essential), meaning that they must be supplied from some food or supplement source. The others, are classified as dispensable amino acids (DAA) or conditionally indispensable, can be synthesized from other amino acids or protein.
    Are you using your muscle supplement to its full potential? To get insights and tips on how to optimize your muscle supplement usage then visit the following blog:

http://www.musclesupplementblog.com

Protein Professionals SwissMuscle's Avatar
    SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwissMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Lightbulb

amino acid vs. whey protein
    It's not cheaper. For starters, two scoops of Amino Energy (9 grams of product, 5g of free-form amino acids) would not remotely provide you with the amount of amino acids you would acquire from a 25 gram serving of whole proteins. A 25g serving of whey protein depending on the brand roughly breaks down to:

(mg scale)
    Tryptophan 405
    Valine 1422
    Threonine 1654
    Isoleucine 1573
    Leucine 2531
    Lysine 2233
    Phenylalanine 748
    Methionine 492
    Arginine 505
    Cystine 494
    Tyrosine 703
    Histidine 423
    Proline 1509
    Glutamine & Precursors 4082
    Aspartic Acid 2508
    Serine 1126
    Glycine 412
    Alanine 1180

So you can see, you get MUCH MUCH more building blocks for your body to produce actin and myosin muscle protein by consuming whole proteins. If you were to use the product amino energy to acquire the same amount of amino acids as you would from a scoop of whey you would need to ingest 45 grams of amino energy leaving you with about 6 servings per bottle. This is simply not logical when you consider you would be spending 3$ per serving vs .60 cents per serving you would get from a 5lb tub of whey.

Free form amino acids are NOT a replacement for protein shakes but they have their uses INTRA (during workout) which is why some forum member consume products such as Xtend. The benefit there is that the amino acids do not need to be split thus allow for rapid absorption. (drinking a protein shake during workout is not an option for most people because it can cause nausea and it doesn't make sense to stress the stomach with the digestive process when muscle tissue is saturated with blood)

The only free form amino acid supplement that interests me is Leucine (The chief of BCAAs). Below a write up I did on Leucine.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post553552053

Also one wonders where and how some of these free-form amino acids are manufactured. I have heard some interesting stories regarding sourcing which frankly have disgusted me.

Polypeptide with over 50-100 bonded amino acids gets the classification of protein. Digestion removes the peptide bonds and frees the amino acids to be absorbed into the blood stream. Your body can only absorb free amino acids (1 amino), dipeptides (2 bonded aminos) and tripeptides (3 bonded aminos) which is why the body needs to break the peptides down.

PM me if you have anymore questions

Cheers
    Last edited by SwissMuscle; 12-11-2010 at 11:51 PM.
    Compone Accomoda Supera (Improvise, Adapt and Overcome)

eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50) eddiemaz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    agreed that aminos prob arent worth the money (unless you have a strong understanding of your diet and need specific supplementation)
    not to mention whey protein is one of the most supported supplements around, i stick w/ whats more researched
    as for the calories, remember the FDA doesnt require cals from individual aminos to be listed on the label, although they do have caloric value. im sure it would be of minimal impact to your diet, but if your going through a serious cut every cal counts