BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000)

Still can't decide on plate loaded vs stack lat/low row

I'm down to picking the last piece of gear and I'm stuck. I can't decide whether to opt for a plate loaded lat/low row or a selectorized version. Cost isn't really a concern but space is.

Pros of selectorized:
    ease of use
    possibly smoothness
    stability of the machine
    300lb stack

Pros of plate loaded:
    easier to place and move if needed
    more flexible weith selections (though the stack unit can have platementes, etc for incremental additions)

The selectorized units I'm looking at:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135445751

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn....s/P00495-2.jpg

Plate loaded I'm looking at:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/fatb...d=105&pid=1216

which I believe is the same as this:
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=729
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtZGpc-jpMA

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by BAVE; 11-23-2012 at 09:01 AM.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Definately the selectorized version with a heavy stack (300lb preferably if you are strong) for the low rows. Get the stacks with 10lb plate increments and pick up Ader rubber coated 5lb and 2 1/2lb add on weights. The Sorinex may be awesome but I think you would be happier having the seat for low rows on the Legend. "Darkfact" did an excellent review on the Legend by the way.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 11-23-2012 at 09:32 AM.

BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000) BAVE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    Definately the selectorized version with a heavy stack (300lb preferably if you are strong) for the low rows. Get the stacks with 10lb plate increments and pick up Ader rubber coated 5lb and 2 1/2lb add on weights. The Sorinex may be awesome but I think you would be happier having the seat for low rows on the Legend.
    My gut also tells me the legend. Im not 100% sure but it looks like the bench can be kept detached to free up space when not in use. They ship it standing up with it detached so that leads me to believe it may be ok.

A plus for the Sorinex is its compactness and possibly the location of the low pulley. Its also more expensive.
    Last edited by BAVE; 11-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have the Legend, but have them as two seperate pieces (1 pulldown and 1 low row). I don't think that you would want to remove the seat every time that you used it. If space is a big issue then go with a different model that has you seated on the floor.

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    I have the Legend, but have them as two seperate pieces (1 pulldown and 1 low row). I don't think that you would want to remove the seat every time that you used it. If space is a big issue then go with a different model that has you seated on the floor.
    I was thinking of keeping it stored next to the unit and using it without physically attaching if possible

817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 817boy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would go w/ plate loaded

This one could be an option for you (only down side is i hear there shipping can be high depending on where you live). They are based out of San Antonio Texas.

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/latpulllowrow.html
    It surprises me how many people refuse to buy equipment from Elitefts because its too expensive but they will buy equipment from their competitors, then continue to go on EFS website to educate themselves for FREE

Originally Posted by 817boy View Post
    I would go w/ plate loaded

This one could be an option for you (only down side is i hear there shipping can be high depending on where you live). They are based out of San Antonio Texas.

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/latpulllowrow.html

I forgot about his one! I live approx. 3 hours from them so if I opt for plate loaded its a good option.

I'm waiting on a quote for this one from Total Strenth & Speed. It has a 300 stack and I believe it is made by William's Strength, who makes the stuff for EliteFTS. Looks pretty solid, compact and is probably the same price as the Legend. Legend also has a lat low row without the bench but it has legs that come out appros 5 feet to the sides so its not so compact: http://www.legendfitness.com/Uploads/images/3228p4.jpg
    Attached Images

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Plate loaded are fine if you already have a bunch of plates and are trying to save money, but given the choice, I'd opt for a stack machine...as long as it has at least a 275-300lb stack.

I own a Body Solid plate-loaded lat/low row machine, and really have no complaints. I picked it up dirt cheap and it suits my needs for the time being, but it would be so much nicer to just pull a pin to change weights instead of loading/unloading weight horns.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm a bit of a noob on the forum but have been training and reading this forum for the last three year, here's my opinion for what it's worth.

I personally own a plate loaded lat pull down machine (it's not quite in the same league as the options you're considering however).

I went for a plate loaded option over a stack option because of the following:

I believed it would be easier to move around.
    I believed it would be easier to change my existing weight plates rather than use a stack.
    I wanted to be able to make 1kg adjustments opposed to say 2.5kg - 5kg as a stack.

Boy was I wrong! Point 3 is the only plus but it's not much of one to be honest.

I find changing the plates on and off (epecially for low rows to tricep pull downs due to the large weight differences) a PITA.

I'm using 10kg plates so if you had 20kg plates this would be much easier but still a PITA.

Yes the item can be moved around easily but all of the plates still need to be removed, moved with the machine and refitted.

A plate stack machine will more than likely have a removable stack, probably be smoother as it's designed as a complete package.

The first link in your post (Legend) iirc as per someone elses post earlier in the week looks like a fantastic unit...

Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    I'm a bit of a noob on the forum but have been training and reading this forum for the last three year, here's my opinion for what it's worth.

I personally own a plate loaded lat pull down machine (it's not quite in the same league as the options you're considering however).

I went for a plate loaded option over a stack option because of the following:

I believed it would be easier to move around.
    I believed it would be easier to change my existing weight plates rather than use a stack.
    I wanted to be able to make 1kg adjustments opposed to say 2.5kg - 5kg as a stack.

Boy was I wrong! Point 3 is the only plus but it's not much of one to be honest.

I find changing the plates on and off (epecially for low rows to tricep pull downs due to the large weight differences) a PITA.

I'm using 10kg plates so if you had 20kg plates this would be much easier but still a PITA.

Yes the item can be moved around easily but all of the plates still need to be removed, moved with the machine and refitted.

A plate stack machine will more than likely have a removable stack, probably be smoother as it's designed as a complete package.

The first link in your post (Legend) iirc as per someone elses post earlier in the week looks like a fantastic unit...
    You make a good argument for going with a 300lb stacked lat. I've always used an older Nautilus universal with 200lb stack and just strapped on plates. It was a beast for nearly 10 years but was damaged in a flood. I'm having a hard time seeing myself happy with plate loading or a small stack unit.

The Legend, William's and Sorinex 300 lb stack units really look like the only options that make sense.
    Last edited by BAVE; 11-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Promaxima out of Houston or Pro-fitness out of Phoenix may have something. You could also investigate and see if Bodymasters out of Louisiana are back to producing equipment again.http://www.promaxima.com/(X(1)S(5k25...th+Low+Row.htmhttp://www.promaxima.com/default.asp...+Cable+Row.htmhttp://www.pro-fitness.com/lat_pulldown_low_row.htmhttp://quantumfitness.com/index.php?...sk=view&id=198http://quantumfitness.com/index.php?...sk=view&id=233
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 11-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BAVE View Post
    You make a good argument for going with a 300lb stacked lat. I've always used an older Nautilus universal with 200lb stack and just strapped on plates. It was a beast for nearly 10 years but was damaged in a flood. I'm having a hard time seeing myself happy with plate loading or a small stack unit.

The Legend, William's and Sorinex 300 lb stack units really look like the only options that make sense.
    If it was my money I would go for the 300lb stack, you're pretty much future proofed that way.

At the end of the day, say you keep the machine for 10 years minimum it's fair cost effective.

$2000 /10 = $200 a year, that's less that $17 a month, bargain...

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BAVE View Post
    I'm waiting on a quote for this one from Total Strenth & Speed. It has a 300 stack and I believe it is made by William's Strength, who makes the stuff for EliteFTS. Looks pretty solid, compact and is probably the same price as the Legend. Legend also has a lat low row without the bench but it has legs that come out appros 5 feet to the sides so its not so compact: http://www.legendfitness.com/Uploads/images/3228p4.jpg
    Anything Legend will be cheapest to buy directly from them. I'm under the impression you going through someone else.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post
    Anything Legend will be cheapest to buy directly from them. I'm under the impression you going through someone else.
    I'm getting quotes direct from Legend. It's definitely cheaper.

Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The belt squat add on looks awesome.

Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    If it was my money I would go for the 300lb stack, you're pretty much future proofed that way.

At the end of the day, say you keep the machine for 10 years minimum it's fair cost effective.

$2000 /10 = $200 a year, that's less that $17 a month, bargain...

The Legend's around $2500 shipped and the Sorinex is listed as $3k. The Williams is around $2k shipped. If I can use the legend without bolting down the bench to it I'm going that route.