Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jkimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many times a week should i hit the gym?

i have VERY LITTLE to do all week, apart from work on my pretty pathetic physique.
    At the moment i'm thinking of hitting the gym 9 times a week...
    Morning and night on monday tuesday, thursday friday and once on wednesday... using the weekend as rest...

the split looks like this...

i spend about thirty minutes in the gym each session

Mon
    Day - Back and Tri's
    Night - Legs and abs

Tues
    Day - Chest and Bi's
    Night - Shoulders and Abs

Wed - Forearms, Neck, Calves

Thurs Same as Mon

Fri Same as Tue

My diet is pretty good, i don't eat ANY crap, drink a lot of milk, protein before and after each workout, for lunch i usually have tuna, and dinner is usually chicken or steak. Breakfast is always eggs.

Supplements i have N-large2 protein powder, Creatine and L-Glutamine (combo of the last two is insane in repairing muscles and cutting down time to repair muscles...)
    I also take multivitamin tablets...

As you may see, i have A LOT of free time, and i do nothing strenuous and no cardio during the week.

Is this overkill or can i continue expecting good gains if i have good form and lift well?
    Last edited by jkimber; 08-06-2007 at 03:29 PM.

BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffMedic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Being young I would recommend 2 or 3 on and 1 off. Give the body some down time. Maybe a little cardio on your off day to help burn some of the fat from you diet.
    Start Everyday As If It Were On Purpose. B.U.F.F.

Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jkimber View Post
    i have VERY LITTLE to do all week, apart from work on my pretty pathetic physique.
    At the moment i'm thinking of hitting the gym 9 times a week...
    Morning and night on monday tuesday, thursday friday and once on wednesday... using the weekend as rest...

the split looks like this...

i spend about thirty minutes in the gym each session

Mon
    Day - Back and Tri's
    Night - Legs and abs

Tues
    Day - Chest and Bi's
    Night - Shoulders and Abs

Wed - Forearms, Neck, Calves

Thurs Same as Mon

Fri Same as Tue

My diet is pretty good, i don't eat ANY crap, drink a lot of milk, protein before and after each workout, for lunch i usually have tuna, and dinner is usually chicken or steak. Breakfast is always eggs.

Supplements i have N-large2 protein powder, Creatine and L-Glutamine (combo of the last two is insane in repairing muscles and cutting down time to repair muscles...)
    I also take multivitamin tablets...

As you may see, i have A LOT of free time, and i do nothing strenuous and no cardio during the week.

Is this overkill or can i continue expecting good gains if i have good form and lift well?
    High-Frequency FTW.

Before you go taking that as an ok- it isn't. Do your research on HF training first, because you don't just start off 9x a week. My sig has a mild explanation on it.

i'll admit i'm young, but i've been hitting the gym half heartedly for the past 3 years... I've found i benefit from splits rather than full body workouts.
    i'm looking to bulk hardore, gain 15 kg by the end of the year, which i am well on track to doing... so cardio is out of the question

Originally Posted by Shoo Head View Post
    High-Frequency FTW.

Before you go taking that as an ok- it isn't. Do your research on HF training first, because you don't just start off 9x a week. My sig has a mild explanation on it.
    not exactly just starting out... but point taken

cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'll admit i'm young, but i've been hitting the gym half heartedly for the past 3 years... I've found i benefit from splits rather than full body workouts.
    i'm looking to bulk hardore, gain 15 kg by the end of the year, which i am well on track to doing... so cardio is out of the question
    over half that will be fat.
    Start: 5'11" 145 (Nov 2006)
    Now: 6'0" 175
    Bench: 200x7
    Squat: 205x6 (knee injury ~2 months)
    Dead: 255x8

"The vision of a champion is someone bent over, drenched in sweat, to a point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching."

100+

Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shoo Head will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    not exactly just starting out... but point taken
    Than how long have you been utilizing HF training? I don't care if you've been on a 3-day split for 10 years, if you don't have experience in HF training- you don't just start off working out 9x a week.

If you've built yourself up to it, fine- but if you haven't, refer to the last sentence in the preceding paragraph.

Originally Posted by cmmulla View Post
    probably... i've come to peace with that...

Than how long have you been utilizing HF training? I don't care if you've been on a 3-day split for 10 years, if you don't have experience in HF training- you don't just start off working out 9x a week.

If you've built yourself up to it, fine- but if you haven't, refer to the last sentence in the preceding paragraph.
    did 3 times a week for two years...
    then did 5 times a week all this year...
    i haven't actually started the 9 times a week... i'm researching and looking to start next monday...

ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Full body 3 times a week 4 days off eat sleep grow

And I'm assuming you've read the famed T-Nation article, and took it as the word of God like most "knowledgeable" people on here

cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50) cmmulla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    did 3 times a week for two years...
    then did 5 times a week all this year...
    i haven't actually started the 9 times a week... i'm researching and looking to start next monday...
    just out of curiosity what are your stats?

"The vision of a champion is someone bent over, drenched in sweat, to a point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching."

100+

HF is what i've been doing, short explosive workouts that don't leave me physically drained, but i can feel the work i've done.

if you don't think i should do it. say why, and offer an alternative.

i honestly don't think overtraining will be a problem considering i spend 15 minutes on each body part... and take creatine glutamine and get 10 hours of sleep a night.

And I'm assuming you've read the famed T-Nation article, and took it as the word of God like most "knowledgeable" people on here
    You assumed wrong. I don't know what article you're talking about but i know that ~35 pounds of LBM in 5 months is pretty much impossible.

100+

just out of curiosity what are your stats?
    192cm
    70kg = around 155lbs...
    32 waist

dunno anything else...

haven't tried to max out squats deadlifts and presses.

ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ThatArmyKid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You assumed wrong. I don't know what article you're talking about but i know that ~35 pounds of LBM in 5 months is pretty much impossible.
    that would be hard even for a noob!

i'm looking for 20-25.. which is possible... i know i'll lose some of it when i cut, but i lose weight REALLY easily...

192cm
    70kg = around 155lbs...
    32 waist

dunno anything else...

haven't tried to max out squats deadlifts and presses.
    how much do you rep on them then?

haha not much

70lbs on bench and squat

80 on deadlift...

i have chicken legs

slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50) slick1235676 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I say 3-5 times a week.

Again... WHY!? shouldn't i do it

and what should i do as an alternative...

please be more specific than
    'i say 3-5 times a week'

bulking for 18 months gotallanswers's Avatar
    gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gotallanswers has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i think that is to mouch 9 times

Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nooma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

haha not much

70lbs on bench and squat

80 on deadlift...

i have chicken legs
    You have been lifting for 3 years and your stats are that? You need to recheck your diet. From your first post, it looks like you are not eating enough.

Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500) Uhtred is not very helpful. (-500)
    probably... i've come to peace with that...
    /goodbye abs!

but seriously why would you gain fat and then cut? whats the point, except taking twice the time?

you should just have a clean bulk while working out and putting on lean mass. you probably have a low bf% now, and if you get it high it will be a bitch to get back down, so dont waste that advantage

SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hit the gym around 4-5 times a week...and only go once a day...u need to get used to it first, if you decide to compete, only then go to the gym more than 7 times a week...and remember rest is an invaluable part to muscle growth
    KING OF THE "O"

SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SexyAsianPrince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    haha not much

70lbs on bench and squat

80 on deadlift...

i have chicken legs
    70lbs on bench at your age is kinda pathetic...you should be doing around 70kg
    KING OF THE "O"

0Universal0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The reason you must work out at least 3-4 times a week is that muscles need time to recover from the workout. Give the worked muscle at least 48 hours to regenerate the muscular tissue and enhance muscle growth. Working out 9 times a week wont do you any good, you will just eat the muscle you have now and/or cause yourself some unwanted injury. Good luck and remember to take it serious but safe.

phrenology has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    um.. I know this is off topic but I really want to get this point across.
    Ok, instead of working chest/ bi's, and back/ tri's, you should really consider doing back/bi's, and chest/tri's. Why? Well its actually very simple, your chest and triceps are each your pushing muscles, and your back and biceps are each your pulling muscles. Think about it, when you bench you you use your triceps, and when you work your back you use your biceps (lat pulldowns and rows especially). Even though im not a big kid, in the last few months i've sure gotten bigger then I was a few months back. Also, I'm not the one who makes this stuff up, my reference is Arnold Swarchenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, so don't take my word, take his.

i'm looking for 20-25.. which is possible... i know i'll lose some of it when i cut, but i lose weight REALLY easily...
    Stick with that, that's waaay more reasonable.

haha not much

70lbs on bench and squat

80 on deadlift...

i have chicken legs
    That's pretty bad for 3 years- even if it was only half-heartedly. What have you been doing? ( serious, no insult )

Originally Posted by slick1235676 View Post
    I say 3-5 times a week.
    Why? Really, why? Do you have a reason for saying this, or did you just quote that from every other thread on this site?

Again... WHY!? shouldn't i do it

and what should i do as an alternative...

please be more specific than
    'i say 3-5 times a week'
    There's only a few people on this site who *actually* known why they suggest, what they suggest.

Originally Posted by gotallanswers View Post
    i think that is to mouch 9 times
    It isn't. Just starting HF- it is.

Originally Posted by Nooma View Post
    You have been lifting for 3 years and your stats are that? You need to recheck your diet. From your first post, it looks like you are not eating enough.
    Yep.

Originally Posted by Uhtred View Post
    /goodbye abs!

but seriously why would you gain fat and then cut? whats the point, except taking twice the time?

you should just have a clean bulk while working out and putting on lean mass. you probably have a low bf% now, and if you get it high it will be a bitch to get back down, so dont waste that advantage
    No, I honestly doubt it will be that hard.

You say don't waste that advantage- why waste the advantage that we all have by cutting needlessly in our teen years? We are at the perfect time to bulk- don't waste it.

Originally Posted by SexyAsianPrince View Post
    Hit the gym around 4-5 times a week...and only go once a day...u need to get used to it first, if you decide to compete, only then go to the gym more than 7 times a week...and remember rest is an invaluable part to muscle growth
    Lol. That's all- Lol.

Originally Posted by 0Universal0 View Post
    The reason you must work out at least 3-4 times a week is that muscles need time to recover from the workout. Give the worked muscle at least 48 hours to regenerate the muscular tissue and enhance muscle growth. Working out 9 times a week wont do you any good, you will just eat the muscle you have now and/or cause yourself some unwanted injury. Good luck and remember to take it serious but safe.
    So, working out 9 times a week won't do you any good? Somebody knows what they're talking about. Do your research.

I'll retrieve a post for you in a minute.

Here it is, explanation- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=108
    Last edited by Shoo Head; 08-06-2007 at 04:32 PM.