RealDeal01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I Gain Muscle By Doing Only Push Ups??

I just had to sell my favorite weight Bench with most of the weights.I needed to sell it because I am moving into someone's house.I have not done push ups in over 10-15 years.I have not lifted weights for about 3 weeks now.I know high reps while doing anything is not a good thing to do for gaining Muscle Mass.I was thinking of doing 5 sets of Push Ups every other day just to stay in shape.Is there any type of Push Upthat would give me the resistance to focus more on Muscle Mass rather then Conditioning?? Thanks

bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Plyo, decline, weighted, one armed, etc.

Not gonna get jacked but good to maintain strength.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You will need additional resistance to progress in due time.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by bethtwenty4 View Post

Wear a backpack and put in a lot of things. Like textbooks. Or buy a 40lb bag or rice and put it in the backpack. Than do push ups with them. I think an avg backpack can fit a 20lb rice bag easy. Idk bout 40 though i never actually tried fitting a 40lb, i only know bout the 20lb.

And do decline push ups put ur feet on something higher and do push ups like that.

as for one armed push ups.... they are hard as fackkkkk
    if u wanna try em spread ur legs out instead of putting ur feet together.
    I can't even do 1, 1 arm push up... U have to be insanely strong and like flex everything in ur upper body to keep ur balance.

Yea bruh good luck , that sucks so much that u had to sell it!
    Also yea what she said. But i mean if ur chest is already big. If ya do push ups there prob gonna get a lil bigger and very defined.

idk bout the whole sets thing. i would just do as many till failure. Rest than go till failure again. and again. and again. Till you can't even do 1.

Why don't ya join a gym? rec centers should be cheap. Real gyms prob a lot more. But i mean rec centers are gonn have the basic ****s. Like the box and bench.

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    and why haven't you been doing pushups for the past 10-15 years?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kimj66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Jack_Lupino View Post
    and why haven't you been doing pushups for the past 10-15 years?
    who the hell does push ups when u have a bench press???

Originally Posted by kimj66 View Post
    Wear a backpack and put in a lot of things. Like textbooks. Or buy a 40lb bag or rice and put it in the backpack. Than do push ups with them. I think an avg backpack can fit a 20lb rice bag easy. Idk bout 40 though i never actually tried fitting a 40lb, i only know bout the 20lb.

And do decline push ups put ur feet on something higher and do push ups like that.

as for one armed push ups.... they are hard as fackkkkk
    if u wanna try em spread ur legs out instead of putting ur feet together.
    I can't even do 1, 1 arm push up... U have to be insanely strong and like flex everything in ur upper body to keep ur balance.

Yea bruh good luck , that sucks so much that u had to sell it!
    Also yea what she said. But i mean if ur chest is already big. If ya do push ups there prob gonna get a lil bigger and very defined.

idk bout the whole sets thing. i would just do as many till failure. Rest than go till failure again. and again. and again. Till you can't even do 1.

Why don't ya join a gym? rec centers should be cheap. Real gyms prob a lot more. But i mean rec centers are gonn have the basic ****s. Like the box and bench.
    Yeah I can do Decline Push Ups because I have a Body Solid adjustable Crunch style Ab Bench.I can put it up real high.I don't have any Backpacks buts thats a good idea I never thought of.Ive been lifting since I was 14 or 15 so my chest is easy for me to maintain.When I move I am going to have to joina good Gym.Thanks for all the tips.I cannot do one handed push ups and even when i was Benching 320lbs many years ago I still couldn't do one arm push ups.Maybe it has to do with technique with doing those.

forreal
    its like all balance and ****
    haha **** it
    u don't need to learn how to do that, what a waste of time

ye get back to ur benching bro. Good luk wit maintaining ur strength in the meantime!

I don't have a Bench Press Bench right now.

Originally Posted by RealDeal01 View Post
    I don't have a Bench Press Bench right now.
    haha i know
    i was telling the dude

he said why haven;t u been doing push ups in the past w.e. years

and i said cuz u had a bench.

lol i know u don't have a bench why u think i posted in the 1st place about push ups lol

haha i know
    i was telling the dude

he said why haven;t u been doing push ups in the past w.e. years

and i said cuz u had a bench.

lol i know u don't have a bench why u think i posted in the 1st place about push ups lol
    Yeah I miss the Bench Press and actually I think regular Push Ups are harder to do then doing heavy weights on the Bench Press.One bad thing about Push Ups when I use to do themis that every time I did them when i had my bench press Rack i always lost strength on the Bench Press.This was noy 1,2 or 3 times.It was every single time!! Doing 20 to 25 Reps made my Bench press weaker without a doubt.I guess doing them now is ok because Im not using Heavy weights and 4 -8 reps.

Yeah I miss the Bench Press and actually I think regular Push Ups are harder to do then doing heavy weights on the Bench Press.One bad thing about Push Ups when I use to do themis that every time I did them when i had my bench press Rack i always lost strength on the Bench Press.This was noy 1,2 or 3 times.It was every single time!! Doing 20 to 25 Reps made my Bench press weaker without a doubt.I guess doing them now is ok because Im not using Heavy weights and 4 -8 reps.
    yea lol i wouldn't do that many. i might do 10 to warm up or sometin. Than start benching heavy. And maybe shoulder cuff warm ups with like 2.5/5lb plates.

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bethtwenty4 View Post

I like this post because it has a sexy avi.

Nuff' said.
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    me?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

Originally Posted by JontheAtheist View Post
    I like this post because it has a sexy avi.

Nuff' said.
    Although a Backpack with weights in it should be allright for a while.I have like 4 25 lb plates.

Originally Posted by Jack_Lupino View Post
    me?
    haha im not being sassy
    lol im jus sayin

but ye i don't see the point in push ups if u can bench...
    and if ya bench ya probably lift and have back days... soooo push ups are GONE. and u gotta get on the floor and bleh. and do a lot of reps and ****. fook it.

Although a Backpack with weights in it should be allright for a while.I have like 4 25 lb plates.
    hmm yea stuff those in there. Add in rocks ontop of em. Or like textbooks. LOL just find heavy ****. sounds like a plan!

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    You will need additional resistance to progress in due time.
    ^this

Eventually you will plateau and need to add weight.

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    ^this

Eventually you will plateau and need to add weight.
    I noticed this especially when I hit age 37 or 38.I was always able to Bench 225lbs 10 to 12 Reps but since then its more like 205lbs for 8 Reps at 41.I must say that I have not been eating as good in the past 4 years.I don't like Gyms especially overcrowded gyms.I did go to a Golds Gym in PA. that I really liked alot.LA Fitness I don't like because I just don't like those rubber weights.It just has a different feel that I don't like.Maybe I'll go looking for another Home Bench.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP,

Along with the weighted back pack, incline your feet on a bench and do sets with hands in both a wide and narrow position. This will be more challenging and give your chest, tris, and shoulders a more varied dynamic workout.

Experiment with the amount of weight on your back in combination with reps/sets. I try stay in the 6-15 rep range. If you can afford it, a weight vest is the way to go. Balancing weight on your back using a back pack can be very awkward, but it still gives excellent results if you handle it properly.

T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000) T-mac is just really nice. (+1000)
    Start doing planche pushups, It will be a long time before you body adapts to the resistance.
    The only things that should be small in this world are bills and panty sizes

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've found one-leg push-ups and decline and wide and decline wide variants of one-leg push-ups helpful.

sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000) sabrosoed18 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    very good replies in this thread

when i began working out 1 year before i got a gym membership my only chest workout consisted of doing bunch of pushups, and YES you will gain muscle but you'll plateau and will have to do more and/or add resistance (weight plates on back, elevate feet, etc) you don't want to be doing 300 pushups once a week every week like i did..oh the motivation to do that

i also recommend having you'r arms wider than shoulder length to make it more difficult.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    but ye i don't see the point in push ups if u can bench...
    If I said "Open chain" and "closed chain" to you, would it mean anything?

Pushups are a great exercise, but if you are comparing them to a bench press you have already missed the point. This is a little like saying a lunge isn't a squat, I would agree with you, but it doesn't make a lunge less valuable.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George Costanza has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    *facepalm*

overtrain7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes you can. I gained 10 pounds pure muscle doing only push ups, but it's how you do them that matters. You have to progressive train. I was doing only one set, but doing them to exhaustion. Then on my next training day, I would try to add 2 more to my set, and so on, so the number of push ups kept increasing. You can do more than one set too as long as each of your sets is done to exhaustion, till you can't do no more. And they have to be done correct form, like in this video /watch?v=Eh00_rniF8E on youtube or else you won't see much results, and there's should be no breaks when you doing them like in the military test
    Last edited by overtrain7; 12-01-2014 at 12:50 PM.