AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000)

How long does it take to enter a catabolic state? (1k reps)

Okay so I got sucked into the whole Muscle & Fitness nutrition guide where they say to take a casein shake before bed and take a whey protein shake upon waking. I've been doing that for the past few years and things have been good.

But does your body really enter a catabolic state within 8 hours of not eating? My dinner during a cut is usually 2 chicken breasts and a large side of vegetables.

How many of you do the same (ie casein before bed, whey upon waking)?

Thanks guys.

1k reps for answers.
    PM me if I forget to rep you.

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AndrewChan View Post
    But does your body really enter a catabolic state within 8 hours of not eating?
    No.
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bretthobbs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay so I got sucked into the whole Muscle & Fitness nutrition guide where they say to take a casein shake before bed and take a whey protein shake upon waking. I've been doing that for the past few years and things have been good.

But does your body really enter a catabolic state within 8 hours of not eating? My dinner during a cut is usually 2 chicken breasts and a large side of vegetables.

Thanks guys.

1k reps for answers.
    Nope! Our bodies have adapted to long periods of famine in our species infancy. If our bodies really did breakdown after just 8 hours our species would be long extinct

anonymous
    Can't tell you how long until your body goes into a "catabolic" state, but there are several factors you need to consider. One of the most careful considerations is nitrogen balance. If you train intensely, your nitrogen balance can drop after only 2.5 hours without protein. Shortly after that you will go from an anabolic state, into a catabolic state, wasting muscle through several mechanisms, one being gluconeogenesis.

Another factor you should consider is the time between meals. Or how long you go without food. Going without food for long periods of time can make you more insulin sensitive, meaning that the calories you ingest are more likely to be converted to fat as a long term energy reserve than anything else. This is how a body typically responds to periods of time without nourishment via macronutrients.

Everyone is different, and everyone has different eating habits. Our bodies are extremely adaptive and so we get used to our regular eating schedules.

This regularity is disrupted when we stray from normal eating patterns, and our body sees this as times of hardship. A time when food is not available.

In short, IMO, you're not doing significant harm by missing a few meals on occasions, but you should try to eat regularly.

Hope this helps OP.

dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    No.
    I disagree to an extent. I know what was meant was "muscle catabolism", and in this case I agree with you.

After how long will muscle catabolism occur? Depends on your body, but definitely far longer than 8 hours.

AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000) AndrewChan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ErickStevens View Post
    No.
    ok...care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by bretthobbs2008 View Post
    Nope! Our bodies have adapted to long periods of famine in our species infancy. If our bodies really did breakdown after just 8 hours our species would be long extinct
    sorry, i meant "muscle catabolism" as another poster noted. i know we won't start to die if we go 12 hrs without food (ie sleeping for half a day), i meant would our muscle really break down overnight?

Originally Posted by bigaznjeff View Post
    Can't tell you how long until your body goes into a "catabolic" state, but there are several factors you need to consider. One of the most careful considerations is nitrogen balance. If you train intensely, your nitrogen balance can drop after only 2.5 hours without protein. Shortly after that you will go from an anabolic state, into a catabolic state, wasting muscle through several mechanisms, one being gluconeogenesis.

Another factor you should consider is the time between meals. Or how long you go without food. Going without food for long periods of time can make you more insulin sensitive, meaning that the calories you ingest are more likely to be converted to fat as a long term energy reserve than anything else. This is how a body typically responds to periods of time without nourishment via macronutrients.

Everyone is different, and everyone has different eating habits. Our bodies are extremely adaptive and so we get used to our regular eating schedules.

This regularity is disrupted when we stray from normal eating patterns, and our body sees this as times of hardship. A time when food is not available.

In short, IMO, you're not doing significant harm by missing a few meals on occasions, but you should try to eat regularly.

Hope this helps OP.
    thanks, i was wondering if we do harm by not taking in casein before bed and whey upon waking

Originally Posted by dat View Post
    I disagree to an extent. I know what was meant was "muscle catabolism", and in this case I agree with you.

After how long will muscle catabolism occur? Depends on your body, but definitely far longer than 8 hours.
    ok thanks!

dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also, you must remember that food does not digest immediately after you swallow...

barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10) barbellina is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    honestly I have no idea how long it takes for our bodies to go "catabolic" but I DO know many people have had great sucess on the Warrior diet and since their "eating window" is only 4-8 hours they must be going 16+ hours w/o food so I assume it takes longer then that. I play it safe and have my whey (usually with something fatty) before bed and whey (with or without something) upon waking

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by barbellina View Post
    honestly I have no idea how long it takes for our bodies to go "catabolic" but I DO know many people have had great sucess on the Warrior diet and since their "eating window" is only 4-8 hours they must be going 16+ hours w/o food so I assume it takes longer then that. I play it safe and have my whey (usually with something fatty) before bed and whey (with or without something) upon waking
    I think your body DOES go catabolic, but you obviously can't notice it since catabolism is offset by later anabolism. And at the end of the day, it's the net result that matters and not specific catabolic/anabolic stages.
    "In all things there is a poison and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not." ~ Paracelsus

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    your body is almost constantly entering and leaving a "catabolic state" although such a thing does not really exist. Your body is constantly participating in catabolism in order to maintain steady blood sugar.

Catabolism and muscle breakdown are not the same thing. Muscle catabolism is not the preferred route for energy needs.
    Last edited by Opies; 01-04-2010 at 01:26 AM.

ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100) ScronnyJonny is not very well liked. (-100)
    Catobilism happens, a lot more frequent than youd think. Okay try to think of it like this. Your body uses food for energy. Energy can't be made with out it. Your body also uses food for repairing your muscle after an intense work out (via protein, threw protein synthisis). But many people over look that your muscles consume calories at rest. Yes, your muscle need to be fueled to just exists!
    without enough fuel in the tank your body will start to take your hard earnd muscle and break it down into aminos to give your body energy inorder to keep your organs functioning.
    Think of this, your body doesn't care about how big your muscles are, or how long it took you to get where you are. It just cares about functioning properly and with out enough food for some reason it finds breaking down muscle for fuel is the easiest way for it to do so. going with out food for even 3hours can put your body into a state of catoblism, this doesn't mean you'll shrink to skin and bones within these few hours but it means your body needs fuel and it will do what it needs to in order to get it.
    So keeping a steady flow of amino acids in your blood stream threw the day, and night. Is the Most effective way of keeping your body out of a catabolised state.
    Hope this helps add a few more prices to your netrution puzzle. Peace

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ScronnyJonny View Post
    Catobilism happens, a lot more frequent than youd think. Okay try to think of it like this. Your body uses food for energy. Energy can't be made with out it. Your body also uses food for repairing your muscle after an intense work out (via protein, threw protein synthisis). But many people over look that your muscles consume calories at rest. Yes, your muscle need to be fueled to just exists!
    without enough fuel in the tank your body will start to take your hard earnd muscle and break it down into aminos to give your body energy inorder to keep your organs functioning.
    Think of this, your body doesn't care about how big your muscles are, or how long it took you to get where you are. It just cares about functioning properly and with out enough food for some reason it finds breaking down muscle for fuel is the easiest way for it to do so. going with out food for even 3hours can put your body into a state of catoblism, this doesn't mean you'll shrink to skin and bones within these few hours but it means your body needs fuel and it will do what it needs to in order to get it.
    So keeping a steady flow of amino acids in your blood stream threw the day, and night. Is the Most effective way of keeping your body out of a catabolised state.
    Hope this helps add a few more prices to your netrution puzzle. Peace

OP has surely gone catabolic waiting 3 years for your response.
    No gains for him
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just made you go catabrolic
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    I just made you go catabrolic
    Was curious.
    Scrolled up...
    ...*RED*

LULed.
    Nice work.
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

▬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) ▬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No, your body does not go catabolic within 8 hours of not eating it's moreso closer to the 60hr mark from what I've read.

KJwahl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One thing to I was always told to remember is that your body will produce the most anabolic hormones when you are in deep sleep. So it should be a good idea to use a slow digesting protein like casien before bed, that way your body uses all that growth hormone and testosterone to put that protein where you want it, right?

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This thread went catabolic 8 years ago.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Old thread but apparently keeps coming up.

Luc Van loon has done studies where they have measured muscle protein balance overnight. They found that during the night muscle protein balance did go negative. This means small amounts of muscle were lost. So yeah under normal circumstances you'll go catabolic within ~12 hours. This isn't necessarily a problem because you can still have positive muscle protein balance over 24h.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Thanks guys.

1k reps for answers.
    Much ado about nothing, opie.

And I don't care if it's been EIGHT YEARS; where's my reps?

PM sent.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733