Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Shoulder pain when elbow goes above the sholder level (up or down)

I started feeling it 2 days ago, and didn't feel anything when exercising, like nothing snapped or torn, or twisted, etc.

I started to feel some electric like pain in my left elbow while doing lift DB curls so stopped after 2 sets. Then when I came home, I started feeling it in my elbow, on and off. Not alot of pain, nor sharp. Kind of like shooting pain. Then a couple hours later, it's gone. So I tried moving my arms in many ways to see if it's still there, but I felt nothing.

Next day after I woke up, later in the day, I realized the pain moved onto my left shoulder area. Don't know if it's the same pain but it wasn't much just in certain positions. It was a little tender but so is my right shoulder because of mild DOM. I iced it, used a lot of glucosamine, MSM, cissus before sleeping.

Now today it's a little worse. I don't feel anything in neutral position but if I lift my arm up, as my elbow clears the shoulder level, I feel pain, same as on the way down. Certain poses, stretch like positions also makes me feel the pain. I don't think it's the muscle or the bone but something inside on the lateral/rear side.

Also if I bring my shoulder in front of my body, kind of like shrugged, I sometimes feel some pain on the left side of my neck. Mild electric like pain. I can't reproduce it all the time but I felt it 2 times.

Anyone knows what could be the issue? What should I do? I will see a doctor if it doesn't heal in a week. I will use this week to rest.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lachdanan; 03-19-2012 at 05:17 PM.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Can you be more specific about the location of the pain in the elbow and shoulder? For the shoulder, does it feel like it's in the shoulder proper or does it feel like it's outside the shoulder?

I find it interesting that the pain "moved". This suggests that it might be referred pain from somewhere else.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Lachdanan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi KBKB, thanks for replying.

I painted over this image where it shows the pain:

I feel it in certain poses like if I slowly raise my hand, I can pinpoint when it starts to happen. So it's not all the way across the movement.

It doesn't seem like it's deep inside the shoulder but like it's coming from the rear/lateral delt. I iced it but didn't see any relief. Maybe I should ice left side of my neck because some websites were suggesting neck can also cause shoulder pain, not sure though.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yeah, it could be the neck...

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook lists the following muscles to look at for back of shoulder pain:

Scalenes
    Levator Scapulae
    Posterior Deltoid
    Supraspinatus
    Teres Major
    Teres Minor
    Subscapularis
    Serratus Posterior Superior
    Latissimus Dorsi
    Triceps
    Trapezius
    Superficial Spinal Muscles

They're listed in order of likelihood to cause problems. The Scalenes are the first listed and they're in the neck.

However, the elbow pain you experienced might be a clue too.

For outer elbow pain, it lists:

Extensors
    Triceps
    Brachioradialis
    Supinator
    Supraspinatus
    Anconeus

And for inner elbow pain, it lists:

Triceps
    Flexor Carpi Ulnaris
    Pectoralis Major
    Pectoralis Minor
    Serratus Anterior
    Serratus Posterior Superior

I was thinking that if you intersect the muscles which affect the rear shoulder area with muscles from the area of the elbow where you were feeling pain, that might be a good place to start. (E.g. maybe triceps and serratus posterior superior.)

For trigger point therapy, you need to a very localized massage. Basically, if you probe a muscle with a massage tool and when you feel a tender spot, you work that spot several times before moving on. (Well, that's what I do. Folks that know more about this more than I can explain the techniques that they use.) For the Scalenes, if that's where it is, you use your fingers. I can't say that I've had much success with working on my scalenes. To work on the anterior scalenes, you need to move the sternocleidomastoid muscle out of the way. I've tried, but am not sure I'm doing it right - or it may just be that I don't have any serious trigger points in that area.

The surprising thing about trigger point therapy is that it sometimes provides almost immediate results. E.g. I had a pain in my knee about two weeks ago. I looked up inner knee pain and the vastus medialus was first on the list. I went to the section on the vastus medialus; it showed trigger point locations and pain referral patterns. It matched the area where I was feeling pain exactly. I massaged along the vastus medialus and found two tender spots; the lower one is the one that refers pain to the knee. I massaged that area hard for a few moments and when I was done, the pain was gone from my knee. I've been working that area daily, however, as the knot still persists. It's improving though; it no longer hurts quite so much to massage that area.

Thanks man, never heard about this stuff but will try it. Hope it helps.

Would rep but you are on spread.

Originally Posted by Lachdanan View Post
    Thanks man, never heard about this stuff but will try it. Hope it helps.
    I was skeptical about it at first, but I was suffering from plantar fasciitis really bad last year. Couldn't stand on my right foot after getting up in the morning without being in intense pain. Tried a bunch of stuff; nothing helped until I bought that book I mentioned earlier and started trigger point therapy. I talk more about it in the Thera Cane / Body Back Buddy Comparison thread. Anyway, I'm now able to stand up pain free in the morning and can even hike ten miles without limping. I shattered the heel of the foot in question nearly twenty years ago. My foot feels better now than it has at any time since that injury.

That's good to hear man. Sometimes it's hard to find a solution but if you find something that works, then it makes sense to continue it.

Also found this thread where the OP has the exact same problem:
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...any-ideas.html

Originally Posted by Lachdanan View Post
    That's good to hear man. Sometimes it's hard to find a solution but if you find something that works, then it makes sense to continue it.

Also found this thread where the OP has the exact same problem:
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...any-ideas.html
    It does sound similar, though that poster mentions the pain being localized to the front of the shoulder. But the bit about a certain range of motion causing the pain is just like your issue though.

FWIW, I've had shoulder issues too. I let it go on way to long before getting help for it. I was having trouble sleeping at night due to shoulder pain. I had difficulty lifting my right arm to adjust the rear view mirror in my vehicles. I ended up getting physical therapy for it. Didn't really help much at first. Finally, after a number of weeks, the physical therapist used a technique called ASTYM on my shoulder. He took a hard glassy looking instrument and used it to give a hard massage to various parts of my shoulder. Immediately afterwards, I did the shoulder exercises prescribed for me. Looking back on it now, I think it was another form of myofascial release. He may even have released trigger points that were responsible for my shoulder pain.

I remember it well, I went in on a Friday and got the ASTYM treatment. That weekend, my shoulder felt better than it had in quite a long time. After that, I continued to improve rapidly and they discharged me from PT a few weeks later. I continue to do the PT prescribed exercises twice a week though. I was told that if I didn't continue them, my shoulder(s) would hurt again.

Here's a link to Clair Davies' story about his shoulder pain and how he conquered it. (Davies is the author of The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.)

http://www.triggerpointbook.com/chaptone.htm

Thanks man, hate injuries (:

jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakdboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man i feel ya, I had almost crippling shoulder pain that prevented me from doing a lot of exercises. I pretty much changed my shoulder workout to more high rep-low weight exercises and became extremly deliberate and careful with my shoulder workouts. I did this for almost a month and and the pain is gone and I can slowly get up to the weights I was lifting before. My point is injuries suck but if you give it time it should recover