Closed Thread
    prasithg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is Rice Milk Good for Post Workout?

Hi,

I am very new to bodybuilding and especially nutrition but I have been going strong for the past 3 months on a good diet (minus some cheat days) and sticking to my workout routine.

My question is about the post-workout shake. I know the optimum is to get a good Whey Isolate and then mix with a High GI sugar such as Maltodextrin.

However I don't have easy access to Maltodextrin and I really enjoy the taste of a shake that is mixed in Milk. I know regular milk is bad for post-workout shakes but I was wondering if anyone has used Rice Milk.

Here is my reasoning on the benefits and please school me if I am wrong.

1) I like the taste of Rice Milk.
    2) No Fat, little protein, mostly carbs.
    3) It is mostly made up of rice so all the carbs are quickly absorbing.
    4) It mixes well with protein powders and you can also vary the flavoring quite a bit.
    5) Organic and not too processed

So is this seems to be a good alternative and tasty to me. Has anybody tried this?

Does this make sense nutritionally?

Thanks.

prasithg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok,

I think I found the answer to this.

A university study points out that Rice milk is actually fairly high in complex carbs.

http://www.msu.edu/course/lbs/145/lu...asticfour.html

So it might be a good Low GI milk substitute but not suitable for a post workout shake.

Anyone know of any good milk like mixes for a PWO shake. I really hate just mixing in water.

Thanks

randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by prasithg View Post
    Hi,

I am very new to bodybuilding and especially nutrition but I have been going strong for the past 3 months on a good diet (minus some cheat days) and sticking to my workout routine.

My question is about the post-workout shake. I know the optimum is to get a good Whey Isolate and then mix with a High GI sugar such as Maltodextrin.

However I don't have easy access to Maltodextrin and I really enjoy the taste of a shake that is mixed in Milk. I know regular milk is bad for post-workout shakes but I was wondering if anyone has used Rice Milk.

4) It mixes well with protein powders and you can also vary the flavoring quite a bit.

So is this seems to be a good alternative and tasty to me. Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.
    it's all good man! just get in those PWO carbs and you'll be good to go. try almond milk also! it's delicious! add in some cinnamon and a scoop of whey and you've got yourself a delicious PWO shake! try adding some honey in there also!

people say dextrose, maltodextrin, etc... as long as you eat, it'll be fine. like i keep saying over and over... PWO is important, but even more so are meals 1,2,3,4, etc...

me, i just prefer to stuff myself with fruit. feels like a treat and it's so much more satisfying. if i'm bulking, then i'll go home and have some sweet potatoes or rice.

slgalberth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Which brand Almond Milk do you like? Thanks!

randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10) randomality is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    usually, i just walk into whole foods, and pick up whatever's available

oh!

check this out!

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondmilk.html

that's how to make your own almond milk!

Gangster of Medieval War swordsmanzenn's Avatar
    swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swordsmanzenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

did you know yogurt is a living culture? bet u didnt.

Originally Posted by swordsmanzenn View Post
    did you know yogurt is a living culture? bet u didnt.
    yeah i did... i think most people know that, especially considering they use bacterial cultures to create it...

Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by prasithg View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Former Mr. O, Lee Haney, drank Rice Milk. Can't be all that bad. . .
    Idiotic and inconsequential people are still idiotic and inconsequential.

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Npeart View Post
    Former Mr. O, Lee Haney, drank Rice Milk. Can't be all that bad. . .
    I once read that rice milk is supposed to be the best "milk". Its less alergenic than real milk, does not have any controversial issues such as soy milk, and is less expensive than almond milk.

I have had it and its not bad. Come to think about it, maybe I can get it just for my PreW shakes to give them a different flavor... I shall buy it next time....
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so is it a good colmplex carb for pre workout? as aposed to fruit?
    “You never won’t know what you can’t achieve until you don’t achieve it.”

slgalberth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by randomality View Post
    usually, i just walk into whole foods, and pick up whatever's available

oh!

check this out!

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondmilk.html

that's how to make your own almond milk!
    Thank you! I might have to try that recipe.

pvcjunglist is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rice Milk

Years later... Rice milk is a fantastic mixer for a a protein scoop! 6oz of rice milk/one scoop of favored protein!!! Doesn’t give you that bloated feeling of 2% or even skim, and it costs less than almond or skim. I keep 2 half gallons of it every week. Pre AND post.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by pvcjunglist View Post
    Years later... Rice milk is a fantastic mixer for a a protein scoop! 6oz of rice milk/one scoop of favored protein!!! Doesn’t give you that bloated feeling of 2% or even skim, and it costs less than almond or skim. I keep 2 half gallons of it every week. Pre AND post.
    Or just use water. It's not like carbs are necessary post workout.