Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    24772433 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How did you all get started into bodybuilding

Hi all just wondered how you all started getting into body building/weight training. I am finding that in my area not many Women are into it and starting tomorrow with a room full of men is going to be a little intimidating. How did you all get the knowledge? Did you get lots of help from your gym or did you self teach yourselves? I start my local gym tomorrow so I'm hoping the trainers give me advice. I'm doing lots of research but it's so difficult to know where to start. I want to lose about 3 stone and tone up so I have a long way to go and being 41 yrs old doesn't help as i struggle with my knees at moment with arthritis so i'm hoping this will make my body stronger but I am determined. So your journeys would be great help.
    Thanks Lindsey.
    Last edited by 24772433; 05-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 24772433 View Post
    Hi all just wondered how you all started getting into body building. How did you all get the knowledge about size weight to lift , reps and eating. Did you get lots help from your gym or did you self teach yourselves. I read your posts and I haven't got clue what some of you are on about. I start my local gym tomorrow so I'm hoping the trainers give me advice. I'm doing lots research but it's so difficult to know where to start.
    Read the stickies. Go to other legitimate sites and read their stickies. Ask questions. Evaluate the answers you get. Try different things until you find what works for you with the 1 caveat being that you give things enough time to work. Don't be a plan jumper. Most of it is trial and error bc we are all different. There are tried and true methods but even they need to be adjusted to the individual.

And just a rule of thumb, if the gym trianer is not a certified nutrionist they usually don't know squat about diet planning (pun intended )

I want to lose about 3 stone and tone up so I have a long way to go and being 41 yrs old doesn't help, but I am determined. So your journeys would be great.
    Thanks Lindsey.
    I don't know what that is suppose to mean but I frankly find it off putting. It's like you're using your age as an excuse to fail before you even start. If you don't believe you can turn your goals into realities then they won't ever become realities but it will have nothing to do with your age..said the 47 year old who is making it happen for herself.

All the best and have fun tomorrow!
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kjake55 View Post
    Read the stickies. Go to other legitimate sites and read their stickies. Ask questions. Evaluate the answers you get. Try different things until you find what works for you with the 1 caveat being that you give things enough time to work. Don't be a plan jumper. Most of it is trial and error bc we are all different. There are tried and true methods but even they need to be adjusted to the individual.

And just a rule of thumb, if the gym trianer is not a certified nutrionist they usually don't know squat about diet planning (pun intended )

I don't know what that is suppose to mean but I frankly find it off putting. It's like you're using your age as an excuse to fail before you even start. If you don't believe you can turn your goals into realities then they won't ever become realities but it will have nothing to do with your age..said the 47 year old who is making it happen for herself.

All the best and have fun tomorrow!
    I don't think she was trying to be off putting...notice her edit The hardest step is the first one...I personally have a long way to go myself, but I get better every day. OP, practically everything I have learned, I learned here. Like she said, find what works for you. And don't give up...it doesn't help that I'm as overweight as I am, but if we focus on where we are now, we'll get nowhere. Get it in your mind what you want to achieve and GO GET IT
    "Do not give away to others what you have not first given away at home." unknown
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." George Eliot, pen name of Mary Ann Evans

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mrshester View Post
    I don't think she was trying to be off putting...notice her edit The hardest step is the first one...I personally have a long way to go myself, but I get better every day. OP, practically everything I have learned, I learned here. Like she said, find what works for you. And don't give up...it doesn't help that I'm as overweight as I am, but if we focus on where we are now, we'll get nowhere. Get it in your mind what you want to achieve and GO GET IT
    Ahh, I posted *before* the edit...my apologies.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

Thank you mrsester I am not trying to be off putting, it is hardto get into as not many women do it, I've been thinking about it for couple yrs but not had the confidence to start. Has I have slowly got more over weight and starting to hate myself now is the time to do it. Once I start something I always finish it, it's just the thought of all men and only couple ladies doing it. But I have to look at the bigger picture, six months from now I should start to see results, have the knowledge to help others and be a lot more heathy.

Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my body building inspiration actually came from a strongman...derek poundstone is an absolute monster strength and aesthetics
    Last edited by Kemo1990; 05-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.

mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000) mrshester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you mrsester I am not trying to be off putting, it is hardto get into as not many women do it, I've been thinking about it for couple yrs but not had the confidence to start. Has I have slowly got more over weight and starting to hate myself now is the time to do it. Once I start something I always finish it, it's just the thought of all men and only couple ladies doing it. But I have to look at the bigger picture, six months from now I should start to see results, have the knowledge to help others and be a lot more heathy.
    Just keep in mind...most of us ladies are by ourselves in our own gyms I have never seen another woman use the power rack in my gym.
    "Do not give away to others what you have not first given away at home." unknown
    "It's never too late to be who you might have been." George Eliot, pen name of Mary Ann Evans

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

Just keep in mind...most of us ladies are by ourselves in our own gyms I have never seen another woman use the power rack in my gym.
    You know what they said first time for everything lol x

Originally Posted by Kemo1990 View Post
    my body building inspiration actually came from a strongman...derek poundstone is an absolute monster strength and aesthetics
    Veeery nice!

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

You know what they said first time for everything lol x
    Exactly!

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lynore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Wink

24772433, I am 65 years (young) and train four times a week. I did have help in my gym at first and do have an "on line" coach to help me reach my goals. Often I look around my gym and I am the only woman in the weight area. And yes, the guys do stare at me!! My solution is listening to my Ipod and ignoring anything going on around me.

As you mentioned, everyone has a first day in the gym and yes, it can be scary. Read and learn everything you can. This forum is a wealth of information. Don't be surprised if the trainers offer to help you out as soon as they see how determined you are.

Lot's of luck to you.

bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bysam has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My boyfriend is teaching me all the machines to use. I get it its really intimidating to go into a gym full of weight machines and not a single clue how to use them. Luckily I have him to help me and once you learn with your train the machine will get you excited because you'll know how to use them and what they're for. Good luck.

CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was an athlete in high school. I slacked off during college. I started again. I'm not sure if I can call myself a bodybuilder. I'm not motivated or interested in competing. In college, I took a weightlifting class that taught me the basics. An ex-boyfriend of mine was an amateur bodybuilder and got me into it. I used to struggle with body image and on a brink of an ED. I used to think hours of cardio was the way to go and used to be caught up in cycles of fad dieting. I got no results. With weightlifting and discovering bb, I learned to not focus on my size but rather on my overall health, performance and in the end it's not about my dress size or weight but rather how much I can deadlift, how fast I can run, how healthy, strong and fit I am. What is the point of being a size 2 or whatever size but you are unhealthy, unfit and weak?

I love how good it makes me feel. I feel alone and the girls on this site are the only women I know. Recently, I ran into an old college friend who was also a closet bb but she lives far away. It's hard to find women into this and I get tired of having to explain to women that lifting heavy wont make me look like a dude. Other women are into trend cardio and fad diets like the latest hcg diet.

Most of the time, I'm outnumbered. That will be a reality. Occasionally I see another lady lifting heavy which makes me happy. As for the men, dont worry about what they think. They honestly dont critique or judge others. Usually they are too busy admiring their own muscles to notice you. Sometimes when I notice a person in the gym, I may be seeing what workouts they are doing but its not a big deal. All I can say is focus on my own workout and forget about what others think. It's about ME and what I want to do and what I like.

I wasnt too intimidated by the men probably because I grew up with many boy cousins and familiar with "guy talk"

From my experience, I have never gotten an attitude or a look like I dont belong there. Some guys are pretty friendly and encouraging. I see the regulars all the time. I had a guy say, "good job" or another time at the drinking fountain, "I see you workout hard everday and I can tell you enjoy it" and this guy can lift way heavier than me.

It takes time. See it as a journey. For me, it took me a while to understand dieting. It took me about a year to get it right. Learn from your mistakes. When I started my squat form was wrong and I had a PT correct me on that.

All I can say is keep going!

CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CrazyWarrior has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Age is no excuse. This lady is 44 yrs old and can do 35 pull ups. I'm 28 and can't even do one unassisted. She can beat most of us young uns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcbuuBO4DI

Originally Posted by CrazyWarrior View Post
    Age is no excuse. This lady is 44 yrs old and can do 35 pull ups. I'm 28 and can't even do one unassisted. She can beat most of us young uns.

I've seen one incredible lady recently...76 years young and in much better shape than most I know that are half (or more) her age...Ernestine Shepherd.

Proud wife and mommy.

Every saint has a past.

Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by CrazyWarrior View Post

was expecting crossfit...glad i didnt have to neg you

Thanks everyone for feed back and wll done on all your incredible journeys to getting fit and heathy, can't wait to join you all x
    Lindsey.

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to swim laps at a place that had both a pool and a gym. The gym was having some special price on memberships so I thought I would give it a go and am so glad I did!

Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Blacksmith80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

>> I don't play against a particular team. I play against the idea of losing. ~ Éric Daniel Pierre Cantona <<

Originally Posted by euco09 View Post
    I used to swim laps at a place that had both a pool and a gym. The gym was having some special price on memberships so I thought I would give it a go and am so glad I did!
    Yes our gym does have swimming pools, I was thinking of going for a swim after my workouts. Officially start today, ad induction yesterday got few names of trainers who are knowledgable with weight training, so they are going to earn their wages lol.

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Swimming is awesome and so refreshing!

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I started doing this with my son when he was in high school football. He wanted to start lifting to add some muscle so we figured this out together. He is off to college now and mom is still trying to figure this out

zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000) zipitlisten is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was tired of what I saw in the mirror and wanted to have a hobby. I signed up at my local gym and of course only did cardio.
    So fast forward a couple of months I saw an older lady squatting heavy and was really impressed, the rest is history
    When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.