Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mao1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Getting ripped at home with just a chin-up bar and one dumbbell ?

Hi guys, I bought this iron-gym-extreme bar like six months back and using it but although I see improvement I feel kinda stuck.
    Obviously I use it wrong. So I have a few questions for experienced guy who can give some advice.

I train to failure and I kinda feel exhausted after a set so I take long irregular recovery times between sets. Is that bad?

Since I feel my muscles kinda sore the next few days, I usually let like 3 days rest between workouts, sometimes 4 when I get lazy. Is that bad?
    (I was figuring that my body needs longer. Especially that my nutrition is bad)

In one workout I do like full body training. That consist in chin-ups for start, then push-ups, then ab-exercises, then squats.. and at the end I go out running for like 50 minutes.

Also my eating habit is bad since I don't know and don't like to cook(except basic things like omelet and fried meat).
    I drink a lot of coffee with milk (like 3 big(250ml) cups a day) and this masks my hungry sensation so I tend to eat at very irregular hours.
    Plus when I eat I don't think I always cover the required proteins & carbs. But the good part is that I take protein shakes like 2/3 times a day.(In the training day I definitely drink 3 shakes of protein, two regular whey and one "all-in-one" type of shake, right after the workout).

I think the form of my chin ups was not very good. But since last time I trained I forced myself to stay still and move slower, focusing on form. (while struggle with the pain haha). Plus at the end, I start doing negative chin-ups to failure, to tress the muscle bad enough and trigger growth.(I really felt the difference the following days).

I also have an adjustable dumbbell of max 20kg, which I can transform in two smaller dumbbells as I have the extra shaft. For example I could do two of 11kg each, or lighter.
    Any tips on how to use them and when to use them would be appreciated.
    I mean should I play with the dumbbells at the end of the body-weight workout? I think if I'd do it prior, it will affect my chins and pushups. So probably it's better at the end, and respect the order of the exercises all the time. (like for example always chins, followed by pushups, then train the abs, and then the squats. and after squats start the dumbbell play. always respecting the order so I can track the improvement? )

Regarding vitamins, I just take regular multivitamins from the pharmacy, as I did all my life. Is that sufficient?

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is great. You workout with 20kg dumbbells and a chin up bar and you're worried about your vitamins. Classic.

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    This is great. You workout with 20kg dumbbells and a chin up bar and you're worried about your vitamins. Classic.
    I think he pretty much answered his own questions.
    not enough training
    poor routine
    poor diet

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Since when is 250 mL a big cup of coffee? That's really what concerns me the most.

Everything else you already know. You don't have enough equipment, your nutrition sucks, and your routine is whatever.

The important thing to remember though is that at least you're doing something. Keep at it and start thinking about your nutrition and how it relates to your goals. Do you want to bulk up or lose weight? Eventually you'll want to get a bench and a barbell too, or join a gym. There's just no way you can get very far with a 20 kg dumbell. Once you start thinking about things more seriously, get on a good routine and start lifting.

I would really appreciate a word-by-word tutorial that I should follow to get ripped using the tools I have, on both training & nutrition.

speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50) speedjason will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mao1 View Post
    I would really appreciate a word-by-word tutorial that I should follow to get ripped using the tools I have, on both training & nutrition.
    join a gym and lift heavy
    eat
    sleep
    repeat

MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMAbrah23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You'd look retarded with no legs. Would take forever also.

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well then you are going to have to provide a word for word account on your current routine, your goals, your height and weight, and what you eat in a typical day. For all I know you're 400 lbs and eat "fried meat" all day.

You CAN get a decent workout using body weight exercises, but it will only get you so far.

Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fbomb1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    put plainly you're not gonna have any results doing what you're doing. if you take 4 days off that means you are working out one day a week. you need to increase the frequency of your workouts, get your diet in order, and create an entirely different routine. honestly tho, it sounds like with what you're doing you're probably gonna stop all together in about a month if you don't get a little more dedicated.

EDIT: you're 32! you should know how to cook by now. Before anything I think this is clearly something you need to improve. not only for a healthy lifestyle, but an overall lifestyle.

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Fbomb1990 View Post
    put plainly you're not gonna have any results doing what you're doing. if you take 4 days off that means you are working out one day a week. you need to increase the frequency of your workouts, get your diet in order, and create an entirely different routine. honestly tho, it sounds like with what you're doing you're probably gonna stop all together in about a month if you don't get a little more dedicated.

EDIT: you're 32! you should know how to cook by now. Before anything I think this is clearly something you need to improve. not only for a healthy lifestyle, but an overall lifestyle.
    Very much this, you don't know how to cook because you haven't yet bothered putting the effort in. Workout more, eat better and do all of that in a regular pattern. At 32 you should either have the discipline to do it yourself or the money to afford a personal trainer who can put you on the right track
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

word by word on nutrition: nutrition forum, stickies

word by word on training: this forum, stickies, and workout programs forum, stickies
    Stern Crew

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squat rack + bench + barbell + plates = win.

Alternatively, join a gym that has all that (and then some, no doubt).

Continue to do pullups throughout the day, every day at home as well, because frankly, pullups are awesome.

About two yrs back I was at gym for like to months. No results!
    But being a total newbie and without a personal trainer I'm sure I trained wrong.
    Plus I was hating to cook back then as much as I hate it now
    That's why I bough 7kg of whey to drink enough shakes to be able to get at least 100g of protein a day.

Personal trainer I can' afford. And the info on the internet is just too much. and often times the experts contradict to eachother, you don't know who to believe first.

That is why I was hoping that maybe someone would guide me with specific instructions. Like "dude, once you wake up mix 4 egg-whites with tuna and a protein shake." and "start chinups exercise with wide grip to failure, rest 30 seconds, repeat. then narrow grip, repeat two times with a 30 seconds rest. at the end kill the muscle with negatives to failure two times with a 30 seconds rest --- wait 2 minutes and go into pushups. 3 sets to failure with a 60 seconds rests in between --- then do 5 different abdominal exercises --- now three sets of squats holding the 20kg dumbbell, make sure your back is perfectly straight and squat all the way down, 3 times to failure with a 60 seconds rest in between --- then get out in the street and do the jogging for at least half hour --- when you're back have a protein shake and get into the shower touch yourself and then rest"
    I was hoping to hear something like this from an expert, so I'd know I'm doing the right stuff. Kind of an online coaching.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dude, once you wake up mix 4 egg-whites with tuna and a protein shake

You'll be ripped in no time.

Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayzor84 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Purchase the book Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews. Enjoy your gains.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    In that case, you should probably hire this guy:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post995460153

He seems to like "tutorials."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    In that case, you should probably hire this guy:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post995460153

He seems to like "tutorials."
    lol "frequently overlooked exercises"

*Lists every exercises known to man*

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP, I would like to be a formula 1 race car driver but only have a bike. Can you help? also I dont like to go fast and I dont have a drivers licence. is this bad? I would really appreciate a word-by-word tutorial that I should follow to win using the tools I have.

Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    OP, I would like to be a formula 1 race car driver but only have a bike. Can you help? also I dont like to go fast and I dont have a drivers licence. is this bad? I would really appreciate a word-by-word tutorial that I should follow to win using the tools I have.
    love this!

bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10) bemack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    been a member for over a year and asking a question like this? if your not trolling, you can do any of those get ripped videos like p90x and get in awesome shape with a decent diet. just don't be lazy and don't give up (especially on your food). things like don't eat Twinkies and McDonald's and simple stuff like that. I'm in the best shape of my life when i stop lifting heavy to get into fight shape.

Here's a pic of me.

I think I really must figure out how to solve the nutrition issue.
    Bcz the chin-ups really give me sore muscles. So it's good enough for now. If I could only work my way up to say 50 chin ups, then I'll look pretty nice. But I don't seem to progress(I do, but very slow. I can now do 10 wide-grip chins in row). I'm sure it's the diet.

Once I'll fix my diet and get good with chins, I'll then consider going to gym.

I'm just very lazy and not organized at all. The main challenge for me would be to start cooking and eating regulary!

Anyways, to clear some things up. My goal is not to become a bodybuilder. I'd much rather aim for a fighter body (say Georges St-Pierre for example).
    Also, I don't want to invest too much of my time in training, that's why I was hoping I could train at home like two times a week.
    Attached Images

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm just very lazy and not organized at all. The main challenge for me would be to start cooking and eating regulary!

Also, I don't want to invest too much of my time in training, that's why I was hoping I could train at home like two times a week.
    You wouldn't be trolling, would you brah?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by speedjason View Post
    join a gym and lift heavy
    eat
    sleep
    repeat
    >140 lbs
    >giving out info on getting swole
    >tempted to neg

Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Celtic8Laoch is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sweet jebus is this real life?
    One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life.

My journey from 358lbs started January of 2012.

1. Trust yourself 2. Break some rules 3. Don't be afraid to fail 4. Ignore the naysayers 5. Work like hell 6. Give something back |

Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    >140 lbs
    >giving out info on getting swole
    >tempted to neg
    its not where you start is how you progress.

bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500)
    I didn't even read the whole thing. Sounds like if you got the exact same response from everyone they're probably right. When you're a beginner (been doing this less than 3 years, I dont care how "right" your doing it, if your a teenager you are almost deffinitely a beginner), its best to focus on the basics. Bench, squat, deadlift, some pulling movement (row or pullup), and maybe throw in some olympic lifts.

Having said that... I've been in jail before so I can give you some weight free routines (LOL):

for fat loss, heres an hiit routine (you said "get shredded" and just a pullup bar and a dumbell):

1 min burpees
    30 sec rest
    1 min mountain climbers
    30 sec rest
    1 min v-ups (like a crunch)
    30 sec rest
    1 min burpees
    30 sec rest
    1 min mt climbers
    30 sec rest
    1 min v ups
    30 sec rest
    1 min burpees
    30 sec rest
    1 min mt climbers
    30 sec rest
    1 min crunches
    30 sec rest
    1 min burpees
    30 sec rest
    1 min mt climbers
    30 seconds rest

10 minute jog

^^Theres your in-home fat loss routine. The burpees and mt climbers will fry your pecs and triceps enough to atleast maintain them, and will strengthen them, depending how weak you are starting out.

bulgarian split squats for legs without weight can be a decent (not ideal but decent) leg workout
    GHR if u have a partner to hold ur legs
    pullups are one of, if not the best upper body exercise. Do every grip width and hand placement.
    handstand pushups, superset with lateral raises with various hand orientations (suppinated, pronated, neutral) if they are light enough. If they are too heavy for this then forget hand stand pushups, u can probably do overhead press.
    Dragonflag negatives for abs

Unfortunately, to this day, I have never been able to figure out a decent way to work out deadlifting muscles without heavy ass weight. Those muscles just would have to go (low back, and traps mostly.... the YOKE)

Originally Posted by bevans100fitnes View Post
    I didn't even read the whole thing.
    That's obvious.

But just keep on typing out 5000-word replies to trolls; it'll do wonders for your credibility.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500) bevans100fitnes is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    That's obvious.

But just keep on typing out 5000-word replies to trolls; it'll do wonders for your credibility.
    Hahahha... i'm not familiar with the whole "forum" game anymore.... but when I do start reading responses and every one is a flame or a joke I usually just cut to the bottom and respond to the OP.

Not sure though if he was a "troll" (which i believe means someone just trying to cause trouble) or a lazy person who doesn't know what they're doing. I thought it sounded more like #2.

The benefit of this website is it is so lively and never dead, the negative aspect of it is being BODYBUILDING.com, it is the first place someone who has no idea what they're doing, would probably end up (for about 1 day) when they were trying to research bodybuilding.

If I remember correctly from back when I used to use forums, the usual response to these people should be "read stickies" use the "search" function

bevans100fitnes, many thanks for your consistent reply!!

to the rest of the guys, thanks as well for sharing your opinions.

cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cory2731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    not gonna happen