electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How do you know if you are overtraining?

Monday evening I intended to do my weight training routine. Monday morning I ran on the treadmill right out of bed to help take off some fat that has is around my midsection. The rest of the day I felt tired. So when the evening came, I did not do my weight training. Also, I ate more than usual.
    My question is how do you know if you are overtraining? I would think that if I feel tired, and hungry then my body is telling me to cool it. But its hard because I like to work out very much, and when I dont work out, I am left with a feeling that something has been left undone. Can someone please advise me?
    I am new to the forum. I was 275 lbs and now I weigh 186lbs. I am 5-11, and I am 40 years old. This happens to be my first post. And by the way, I love this forum. Great information, and a lot of knowledgeable people here!
    Thank you.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Overtraining

Welcome to the forum! Without knowing your training history, or seeing you train, I can only give you some symptoms of overtraining. Here's a few:
    Inability to get to sleep, even when you're tired.
    Elevated resting heart rate before getting out of bed.
    Irritability.
    Inability to meet or exceed reps/weight of last few workouts.
    General feeling fatigue.
    Loss of appetite.
    Lack of interest in training.
    Recurring colds or flue.
    I'm sure there are others, but this is all I can think of right now. If you just kind of feel tired, that's not an excuse to blow-off a workout. Like many other factors in bodybuilding, this is something you'll have to figure out for yourself. Remember that being consistent in your training and nutrition is one of the most important factors in making steady progress. Hope this helps. Good luck, and stay with it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gneal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How long have you been working out? Most people give it 8 to 12 weeks and take a week off. Personally I have found that after the 8 week mark I'm tired and my body just needs the rest. Remember, it's great to want to work out but your body gets bigger when you are resting, not while you are working out in the gym.

Good luck,
    Greg

electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10) electronjockey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the responses so far. I have been training for approximately 12 weeks with weights, and I have seen some dramatic results. Before the weight training, I was running/jogging for a few years. I was more tired than usual. I have felt tired before a workout many times before, but last night was more than normal. I have been eating 5 meals per day, and one gallon of water per day. Hope this helps. - Thanks

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ej, are you eating enough? What are your stats- height and weight? Most new trainees just don't eat enough to sustain weight training.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsharp9000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by electronjockey View Post
    Monday evening I intended to do my weight training routine. Monday morning I ran on the treadmill right out of bed to help take off some fat that has is around my midsection. The rest of the day I felt tired. So when the evening came, I did not do my weight training. Also, I ate more than usual.
    My question is how do you know if you are overtraining? I would think that if I feel tired, and hungry then my body is telling me to cool it. But its hard because I like to work out very much, and when I dont work out, I am left with a feeling that something has been left undone. Can someone please advise me?
    I am new to the forum. I was 275 lbs and now I weigh 186lbs. I am 5-11, and I am 40 years old. This happens to be my first post. And by the way, I love this forum. Great information, and a lot of knowledgeable people here!
    Thank you.
    This may not be overtraining; you maybe just feeling tired from a workout. Overtraining sets in over a long period of time; its not something that happens over night; but over a period of weeks or even months and can take weeks or even months to recover from... however, it sounds like you just did a good workout in the morning that maybe left you feeling tired --- maybe you did to much for this workout or maybe your just starting so the workout is stressing your body differently than usual -- which is a good thing; but it takes time for your body to adapt; and when it does it gets stronger.

You have to careful not to confuse overtraining with the normal fatigue that might occur from a workout especially if you are just starting. You also have to be careful if you are just starting not pushing beyond what you can mentally handle as if you workouts become to grinding; sometimes you can loose the mental motivation to do the workouts even though you are not
    overtraining.

One other general comment is that you ran on the treadmill right out of bed; usually running right out of bed and without eating anything may bring your energy levels down (some people dont recommend cardio in morning on empty stomarch).

One thing i a curious is how long you ran on the treadmill in the morning, how long you have been workingout and what workout you are following... you may get more and better advice if you post your complete workout and experience.

bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bulldog71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One thing that I have noticed, over time, is that 85% of the time, questions like this or not being able to make gains, are usually due to FOOD! I see it a lot more among peoploe who used to be overweight, and now they've lost the weight, added weight training to their routine, and are "afraid" to eat enough to support the new training demands! I'm going to bet that your calories are too low for the work you are expecting your body to do!
    My Beast Sports Nutrition 2Shredded Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156177641#post156177641

I know if I don't have my "special underwear", my workout is shot!!:) -- Hikemike

6 packs are for lightweights and underachievers! I've got the whole keg!

I eat 5 meals per day. Sample day:
    breakfast- 1 cup egg beaters, 2 slices weight watchers bread, diced tomato on top, cup of coffee
    10 am- protein shake(24 g protien) and banana
    12:30pm- 4oz chicken breast, with broccoli and carrots - one fruit
    3pm- protein shake (24 g protein)
    5pm- Weight training
    6pm- cream of rice with protien powder added, with 1 tsp l-glutemine chicken 4oz chicken breast broccoli and carrots (steamed) Bananna
    8pm- protein shake with 1 tsp l-glutamine
    bed
    I am 40 years old, 5-10, 190lbs male
    Any advice is appreciated

I was apprhensive about asking a question on this forum due to the experienced fitness people here. Now I am glad I did, and plan to do it more often.

ej, I don't think you're eating nearly enough. At 190 lbs., the 20-calorie per pound rule-of-thumb would dictate you to eat 3500-3800 calories a day, every day. From your post I'm not seeing half that. I'd suggest you add carbs at all your pre-workout meals, at least to start. Eat an additional piece of fruit, with your first 4 meals; that'll give you an extra 4-500 cals. See if that helps. Also, I'd suggest a cup of fat- free cottage cheese before bed, instead of the protein shake, if the shake is whey protein. The cottage cheese digests much more slowly, and will provide aminos for hours, while you sleep; whey digests really quickly, and is gone out of the blood stream quickly.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you.
    You definately have to listen to your body. Good advice above. May or may not be over-training, but lack of good calories and protein.

I don't really call what I get as over-training, but for me it is more like CNS Stress. My arms and legs start to shake when I lift and I am weaker than normal. I know that it is time to de-load and/or take a closer look at my diet and protein intake.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ej, are you eating enough? What are your stats- height and weight? Most new trainees just don't eat enough to sustain weight training.
    I tend to agree... but I know where you are coming from. I lost 50 lb. over about 8 months in 2005. After that I wanted to put on some lean mass, but was so very afraid of gaining all the fat back. So, I was eating very poorly for quite a while, and am still dealing with that. Still struggling with how many calories to eat versus how much to work out. (and right now I am struggling with getting time to work out consistently, inherited a big job taking care of an Uncle...)

Anyway, I think I spent some time over-training for the amount of food I was eating. Sounds like you might be in that same boat. Just be careful with the type of carbs you are eating for energy. Eat the good stuff... there are experts here who will guide you with that. Keep in mind that weight training four or five times a week along with your cardio will most likely protect you from major fat gain... That is, if you are eating reasonably "clean". Remember, larger muscles burn more energy, so feed them (burn the fat, feed the muscle). Just spread out the calories over the day, like you are doing (five/six meals), and keep from stuffing yourself to keep your stomach small... the idea is to fool your body into thinking it has enough fat stored already, because there is a ready source of energy available. Of course, you already know that!

Dan
    Last edited by Hey-Iwas51; 04-15-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaskicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I notice that I am not gaining strength and a lack of motivation to lift along with an elevated morning heart rate. I take a week off and come back feeling great.
    If it feels good its good for you.

m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50) m1k3g0rd will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How do you know if you are overtraining?

Your muscles get too big??

:-)
    John McCain:
    "You know, I think you may have noticed that Senator Obama's supporters have been saying some pretty nasty things about Western Pennsylvania lately. And you know, I couldn't agree with them more. I couldn't disagree with you. I couldn't agree with you more than the fact that Western Pennsylvania is the most patriotic, most god-loving, most, most patriotic part of America, and this is a great part of the country."

Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500) Taichichuan is not very helpful. (-500)

My one and only factor

Thank you.
    If I can't do at least five to ten sit ups before I get out of bed then I know that I've been over-training! Especially upon arising, if I plop right back on the pillow!