youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

will close grip bench increase your bench?

wasn't sure how many people add close grip into their routines and if there were any benefits to it relating to regular bench?

also.....should you be able to close grip more or less?

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by youngnemi View Post
    wasn't sure how many people add close grip into their routines and if there were any benefits to it relating to regular bench?

Yes, CGBP will help you bench...just like any other pressing activity. That being said, I have found other tricep exercises to be more effective.

You should be able to CGBP less than you normally bench.

youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngnemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    Yes, CGBP will help you bench...just like any other pressing activity. That being said, I have found other tricep exercises to be more effective.

You should be able to CGBP less than you normally bench.
    I also bring this up because my cheap ass bench doesn't allow me to grip at a true shoulder width....maybe 2 inches in on both sides, thus blowing my tri's up every session...I was thinking this might be a negative when trying to increase my bench....but I'm hoping you're right and me being able to bench x amount of weight with a closer grip means my actual bench is higher....still yet to 1rm

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I perform Smith CGBP during my chest workout. It's an outstanding movement, IMO. I flare my elbows slightly to increase chest activation.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

how significant is the 1 RM difference between close grip and flat bench?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    how significant is the 1 RM difference between close grip and flat bench?
    Depends on the development of your chest and tris.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Depends on the development of your chest and tris.
    I'd say for the most part my tri's are a bit stonger than most benching a similar weight for the simple fact that I unknowingly incorporate the close grip into my chest routine because of my workout bench.....in long the long run I'd expect a closer gap because of it....

t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, think of it as a math equation sort of. If you using primarly 2 muscles, you should move less weight. If your using primarly 4 muscles, you should move more weight. I know its not a 100% because your not using the same amount of tri's with a wider grip. But, the gap should be pretty noticable IMO.
    I Rep Back.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=671123731#post671123731

^Try to make it happen^

Originally Posted by t_rave View Post
    Well, think of it as a math equation sort of. If you using primarly 2 muscles, you should move less weight. If your using primarly 4 muscles, you should move more weight. I know its not a 100% because your not using the same amount of tri's with a wider grip. But, the gap should be pretty noticable IMO.

I only bring this up because the end of this month marks a year into bodybuilding for me, and one of my milestones I wanted to accomplish was that 300lbs bench mark....now I've never maxed out....I've always calculated what I could lift 5 times....so if my math is right I've reached my milestone well ahead of schedule and thats also while lifting what most would consider at close grip....so I'm hoping once I get my ass to a gym instead of my basement I'd reach that mark rather easily with a shoulder width grip....

ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100) ekbviz is not very well liked. (-100)

well that depends, are you weaker at the chest or triceps? if youre weaker in the triceps then yes close grip benches will help, because they hit your triceps hard not so much your chest

Originally Posted by ekbviz View Post
    well that depends, are you weaker at the chest or triceps? if youre weaker in the triceps then yes close grip benches will help, because they hit your triceps hard not so much your chest

you can see in my pic that after a year my chest isn't maybe as developed as I would like....but for the most part, that's because like I mentioned before, my bench forces me inside shoulder width...it's just a lil weird because my progress hasn't slowed down at all, which I expected because of a closer grip....

HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HITman91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also bring this up because my cheap ass bench doesn't allow me to grip at a true shoulder width....maybe 2 inches in on both sides, thus blowing my tri's up every session...I was thinking this might be a negative when trying to increase my bench....but I'm hoping you're right and me being able to bench x amount of weight with a closer grip means my actual bench is higher....still yet to 1rm
    I had the same problem before I got a gym membership. What I did was that I would do benches with a close grip and then follow them up with benches with a wide grip. That way, I would work the triceps, pecs, and front deltoids to varying degrees, thereby hopefully improving my normal grip bench press.
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137093183&p=731668963#post731668963

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    So by increasing your tricep strength, you are worried your bench press will decrease?

Am I missing something here?

It's a good lift to have and it defiantly can't hurt your bench.
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sleeeeeeeeeep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are using the powerlifting style of the bench press then yes CGBP will increase you bench and will be very benificial.

BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The closegrip bench is a great exercise it has helped me increase my bench some in the past. The only thing that I dont like about the closegrip bench is that you will likely be using less weight on the closegrip and therefore I do not believe you will stimulate your body to learn to control heavier weights than your normal bench. For this reason I would suggest doing closegrip bench one week, then doing partial closegrip bench the next week, on the partial week you should add extra weight perform the top half of the repetition with a trustworthy spotter to assist you if needed. Increase your weights slowly when doing this however. Furthermore I think heavy dips have helped my bench press more than the closegrip bench press. And do not forget how important having a strong back and forearm muscles can be to benching because of the stability aspect. goodluck

dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10) dramed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well, your chest isnt moving the weights, its your arms so tricep would help as with shoulders?