eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

How many sets/exercises should I perform per Chest part...?

Alo there, I have a questiong just after 2years of training and preventing overtraining.. I do 15 sets for the chest muscle group. The total sets are 15. (lower,mid,upper)

So, how many sets should I perform for lower chest exercises, mid chest exercises and upper chest exercises?

And also how many exercises for each chest part (lower,mid,upper)?

Thanks alot, I'll appreciate the answers.

Thanks,
    Edy

kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kbouw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You will get this same answer from any CPT.

It Depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish as to how many sets, reps, and exercises you will do for each muscle group. There is no "generic" structure for any workout, it depends upon what you are wanting to accomplish.
    Kristian
    founder @ thryv.com

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by eduardojgg0 View Post
    Alo there, I have a questiong just after 2years of training and preventing overtraining.. I do 15 sets for the chest muscle group. The total sets are 15. (lower,mid,upper)

So, how many sets should I perform for lower chest exercises, mid chest exercises and upper chest exercises?

And also how many exercises for each chest part (lower,mid,upper)?

Thanks alot, I'll appreciate the answers.

Thanks,
    Edy
    that's a lot of sets for your chest.

How much weight do you use, how many reps, and are the sets to failure, 90% or less?
    What are you training for? Size? Strength? Endurance?

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eduardojgg0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Well I mean this..

I perform 10 sets por my mid chest, 3 sets for my upper chest, and 2 sets for my lower chest.. Of course I use diferent exercises on my mid chest sets, they are about 3 or 4 diferent exercises for my mid chest. Is that to much for mid chest?

My goal is get not so much size, but get strenght is much more important for me. And I dont train until failure, I guess at most I train 90% failure per exercise..

What do you think?

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    I perform 10 sets por my mid chest, 3 sets for my upper chest, and 2 sets for my lower chest.. Of course I use diferent exercises on my mid chest sets, they are about 3 or 4 diferent exercises for my mid chest. Is that to much for mid chest?

My goal is get not so much size, but get strenght is much more important for me. And I dont train until failure, I guess at most I train 90% failure per exercise..

What do you think?
    I have one more question ...
    You say your training for strength, why? for what? I still need to know how many reps per set?

If you're training for strength, go to failure and then do another rep. Drop sets and assisted reps are great for gaining strength, they were a huge help for me...but not with that many sets.

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

Well the thing is..

I train for strenght and also some size.. my rep range is 10-12rep per exercise... I like to perform that range but I wonder if the 10 sets for my mid chest is too much, the total rep in those 10 sets are about 90..

Also, how many exercises you think is correct for mid chest, lower chest and upper chest?

Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    id go 4 flat, 4 incline, 4 decline and 3 fly. Simple and hits the whole chest. 6-8 on presses, 8-12 on flyes

So..

So you perform 4 exercises for mid chest, 4 for lower chest and 4 for upper chest? 12 exercises in total?

I wonder if I'm Overtrained performing 3 exercises for mid chest, 1 for lower and 1 for upper...

Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So you perform 4 exercises for mid chest, 4 for lower chest and 4 for upper chest? 12 exercises in total?

I wonder if I'm Overtrained performing 3 exercises for mid chest, 1 for lower and 1 for upper...

No, 1 exercise of 4 sets for EACH press. no need to do more than 15 sets total, in my opinion kind of overkill

You think that performing 4 exercises of 3sets and 12rep is too much for my MID CHEST..? And do you think I might increase number of exercises on my lower and upper chest? I perform just 1 for lower and 1 for upper..
    Last edited by eduardojgg0; 11-01-2009 at 01:04 PM.

You think that performing 4 exercises of 3sets and 12rep is too much for my MID CHEST..? And do you think I might increase number of exercises on my lower and upper chest? I perform just 1 for lower and 1 for upper..

Flat, Incline, Decline is plenty. Flyes will help a bit. Keep in mind it isnt like you dont hit mid chest when doing incline or decline and vice versa.

If you are doing 4 exercises for JUST mid chest, then doing other chest exercises after you are overtraining. Keep in mind if you are doing that much chest work, you need to keep the rest of your body up to pace, or you will be completely out of proportion and more importantly out of balance.

Smile

Sorry, you might get piss off because my posts but... After this what do you recommend me?
    I wonder how many exercises I must do for lower, mid and upper chest.. And the total sets for those 3 parts of my chest.. ?What do you mean with "Flyes will help a bit"...?

Thanks alot..!!

Sorry, you might get piss off because my posts but... After this what do you recommend me?
    I wonder how many exercises I must do for lower, mid and upper chest.. And the total sets for those 3 parts of my chest.. ?What do you mean with "Flyes will help a bit"...?

Thanks alot..!!

Do one exercise each 4 sets 8 reps. Flyes will add some lateral definition but are not necessary

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nevermind this upper, lower, middle, blah, blah, blah...

There are 2 components to the chest muscle. You have the pectoralis major and the pectoralis minor. The pecs major lies on top of the rib cage and the pecs minor lies under the pecs major.

I will normally pick 3 to 4 exercises and do 4 sets each. There is no point in doing the same chest workout every week. Switch up the exercises to keep the muscle guessing and keep workouts fresh.

Example:

Flat BB bench
    Incline DB flys
    Cable crossover
    Weighted pushups

Next time:

Hammer strength incline bench
    Flat bench DB flys
    Pec dec
    Weighted dips

You get the idea...

Here's some exercises to choose from:

BB, DB or hammer strength flat bench
    BB, DB or hammer strength incline bench
    Flat bench DB flys
    Incline Bench DB flys
    DB pullovers (works lats too, but hits chest as secondary)
    Pec dec
    Cable crossover (low, med, high)
    Weighted Pushups
    Weighted Dips (lean forward to hit chest)
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)