Rustys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginners should focus on muscular endurance, strength, or hypertrophy?

Thankyou for reading this.

I'm a beginner to the gym and my primary goal is to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass. I'm currently planning to get down below 10 % BF and then focus on building up muscle. But i also understand for beginners to an extent you can have fat loss and muscle building simultaneously but i don't know how long this will last.

My workout primary focus on compound workout

Deadlift, Squarts, Shoulder press, Bench Press, Leg Press, Leg Extension and few isolation for Bi and Tri ..
    Coupled with Push ups , Pull Ups and Dips for warm ups... ( I'm doing a workout split into 3 days ( Push Muscles / Pull Muscles / Lower body and abs ) Do i do my warm ups on every day or do i have to have a recovery time and should stick to specific warm ups for specific muscle groups?

What i'm worried about here is the sets and reps. How many sets and reps should i be doing? I'm confused what I should focus on initially muscular endurance, strength, or hypertrophy? ( How many sets and reps )

Also, When do I begin taking supplements? I have started using Intrapro ( Protein Isolate ) as my after workout shake. Someone told me as a beginner i shouldn't be using this as my body will get adapted to it and down the line it will be difficult for me to build muscles.

Would like some views on comments on this. thankyou for your time

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Anything between 5 and 12 reps is going to give you a fair share of strength and hypertrophy. Just pick a routine and progress on it.

This is a good place to start: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rustys View Post
    Also, When do I begin taking supplements? I have started using Intrapro ( Protein Isolate ) as my after workout shake. Someone told me as a beginner i shouldn't be using this as my body will get adapted to it and down the line it will be difficult for me to build muscles.
    Get as much of your daily nutrition from real food as possible. Most people need only a good multi-vitamin and fish oil, perhaps protein supp if not hitting your target via regular diet. The protein "advice" about your body "getting adapted" is 100% incorrect. Protein is protein. It is used to build muscles. There would be no logic to avoid eating steak as a beginner because "your body might get adapted to it" and stop growing muscle. Same w/ avoiding eggs, cheese or your protein isolate.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm a beginner to the gym and my primary goal is to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass. I'm currently planning to get down below 10 % BF and then focus on building up muscle. But i also understand for beginners to an extent you can have fat loss and muscle building simultaneously but i don't know how long this will last.
    It's pretty difficult to get to single digit body fat, and is probably much lower than you realize it is. What is your current BF%?

Your primary goal cannot be to reduce body fat AND increase muscle mass. One has to be primary, and the other secondary.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    Get as much of your daily nutrition from real food as possible. Most people need only a good multi-vitamin and fish oil, perhaps protein supp if not hitting your target via regular diet. The protein "advice" about your body "getting adapted" is 100% incorrect. Protein is protein. It is used to build muscles. There would be no logic to avoid eating steak as a beginner because "your body might get adapted to it" and stop growing muscle. Same w/ avoiding eggs, cheese or your protein isolate.
    I'm sorry, i think i din't really place my sentence correctly. The person in the Gym told me not to consume supplements as i'm a beginner but to take real food, This is somethiing which i have read a lot here on this forum as well, why do people insist on sticking to real food than supplement ?

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    It's pretty difficult to get to single digit body fat, and is probably much lower than you realize it is. What is your current BF%?

Your primary goal cannot be to reduce body fat AND increase muscle mass. One has to be primary, and the other secondary.
    My current BF is 28 % My primary goal now is to cut down my BF to single digit but at the same time make sure i don't have much of muscle loss when i'm burning fat. I understand that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time as one need a calorie deficit and another needs a calorie surplussed.

But then I have read in this forum and many places that a beginner can enjoy the benifits of both Fat loss and Muscle building for a while. But i'm not quite sure how long this will last for and how much a beginner can gain muscle and at the same time lose fat until he hits a plateau then focus on one and keep the other as secondary.

Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    Anything between 5 and 12 reps is going to give you a fair share of strength and hypertrophy. Just pick a routine and progress on it.
    thankyou for your response
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret

Your body hears everything your mind says

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm sorry, i think i din't really place my sentence correctly. The person in the Gym told me not to consume supplements as i'm a beginner but to take real food, This is somethiing which i have read a lot here on this forum as well, why do people insist on sticking to real food than supplement ?
    A well-balanced diet provides fiber and micro-nutrients that can be missed by excessively relying on supplements. Supplements are overly expensive but they do offer some convenience. A protein supplement is fine if it's difficult to meet your daily protein needs. Where beginners often go wrong is thinking that supplements offer a "magic" growth secret that can't be obtained w/ a normal diet. Quite a few supplements (beyond protein) have been shown to be ineffective. Or, even if useful, they're produced in our own bodies or found in real food in enough quantity that additional supplementation really isn't necessary. Supp companies would like people to believe that real food is only for filling holes in your medicine cabinet.

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    A well-balanced diet provides fiber and micro-nutrients that can be missed by excessively relying on supplements. Supplements are overly expensive but they do offer some convenience. A protein supplement is fine if it's difficult to meet your daily protein needs. Where beginners often go wrong is thinking that supplements offer a "magic" growth secret that can't be obtained w/ a normal diet. Quite a few supplements (beyond protein) have been shown to be ineffective. Or, even if useful, they're produced in our own bodies or found in real food in enough quantity that additional supplementation really isn't necessary. Supp companies would like people to believe that real food is only for filling holes in your medicine cabinet.
    thankyou so much for your valuable inputs.. repped.. !!
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret

Your body hears everything your mind says

TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TobyVanBaast is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    As a beginner whose primary goal is to cut fat and gain size..
    I would say so far you are on a pretty good track with your split.
    Lift the maximum weight you can with very good form, Try have 5 set for your major workouts, 15(warm up) 12,10,8,6. I wouldn't worry about going down to 4 rep sets just yet..
    Depending on your protein intake, increase weights weekly, to biweekly, This will improve strength, since I imagine you plan on working out with moderate to heavy weights.
    Have a pretty good variety of isolation workouts, this will also help burn fat by targeting the muscles and using more energy on a selected area.(The idea, I believe is that if you focus on many specific areas with more intensity, you will burn more cals.)
    Try to keep your diet in the 2500 range if possible, I wouldn't recommend exceeding 3000, unless you have a pretty clean diet.
    If you have any questions on increases strength weekly or biweekly, just ask. I have a method that doesn't necessarily require a very high cal or protein intake