gbrand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Most effective piece of cardio equipment?

If you only had one piece of cardio equipment to choose for the rest of your life, what would it be? Treadmill? Elliptical?? Maybe the exercise bike, or even somethng else... Please explain why, as I'm not partial to any of them -- I am trying to make the most of my time at the gym by using the best method of doing cardio.

Thanks, guys!!!!

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would pick the rowing machine, but I hate cardio, especially indoors.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gbrand View Post
    If you only had one piece of cardio equipment to choose for the rest of your life, what would it be? Treadmill? Elliptical?? Maybe the exercise bike, or even somethng else... Please explain why, as I'm not partial to any of them -- I am trying to make the most of my time at the gym by using the best method of doing cardio.

Thanks, guys!!!!
    I have heard that the stairmaster is gonna kick your ass the most. I can't really explain why, but I was told by a reputable person. It's probably common sense that running up stairs is gonna really get your heart pumping, though.

FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FGCUCody is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think the stairmaster works me the best... i don't like the elliptical, doesnt work very well for me. I also like the treadmill set going uphill, with a pretty good pace.

nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nvhladek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Swimming is the best cardio, if you ask me. But you can't carry around a pool your whole life...
    Nick Hladek
    Healthy Body - Healthy Soul - Healthy Spirit
    "I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." - 1 Cor 9:27

Bigger is Better. EarlyBirdHustle's Avatar
    EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50) EarlyBirdHustle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    stairmaster is pretty hardcore. (I always think about Ronnie Coleman sweating bullets on it in his home gym) but you just can't go wrong w/ treadmill IMO. sprint, long distance, uphill, light running... gives you many options.

Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pizbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Use a bicycle. Ride to the grocery store and wherever else you need to go.

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i like the tred..the one at my gym has a interval adjustment on it..so it makes HIIT very easy

other then that..stationary bike kicks my ass 2nd to HIIT on the tred
    IG = @ Bmur18 - Follow me and message for reps

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marthby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Intense boxing training no doubt. If you get your whole body moving and throw some hard and fast punches it's like the best cardio ever, IMO.

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sled.
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Epilerik is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Swimming, bicycling, jump rope, boxing, shuttle runs, stairmasters, sprints, and sled pulling are all good choices. Also just carrying heavy sh*t over distances.

joshio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    karate, and bicycle. who cares what type of bike, I got a little bmx..keeps those quads strong.

HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm gonna hook a big wheel to the wall in my gym.... kinda like a hamster wheel.
    it'll be awesome...

concept II rower

then prowler or sled

carry heavy stuff around

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks, guys!!!!
    I dont think theres a *best* method of cardio.. so unless ure looking to become the next champion or whatever, hit the tread or the bike and youll get your 'effective' cardio..

but for me,
    A pair of shoes is all I need...
    *runs towards the hills*

Gettin My Swole On microrahsheen's Avatar
    microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50) microrahsheen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nvhladek View Post
    Swimming is the best cardio, if you ask me. But you can't carry around a pool your whole life...
    The pool definitely makes my heart feel like it's going to pop out of my chest, but I don't think it's very good for burning fat. Just depends on your goals, though.

Speaking of which...I better take advantage of the pool before they close this biatch down for winter...

gbrand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Thanks, people... I guess I was referring to burning fat as opposed to high-heartrate cardio. I guess what really got me thinking in the first place was a question that occured to me on the stationary bike yesterday.

If your heartrate is at 140 for 30 min, does it matter if it's on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical? Help!!!!

pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pchopper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whatever form of cardio you enjoy is the best; if you don't like it you probably won't stick with it and it will stop being effective A lot is made of adaptation, but there are so many ways to vary your workout doing the same type of cardio, I don't think it's a huge issue. I love riding my bike (at lunch during work), it doesn't even feel like working out, and I've been doing it for a little more than a year, and have been steadily losing weight (also been lifting hard and eating clean).

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Them cardio rowers will get your heart up really fast.

Swimming too, but swimming is different because it requires you to gain a ton of skill before you can actually call it "cardio".

Punching bag is also good, and probably the most fun to do of them all.

Then there's good old running, meh.

And jumping rope, which happens to also be great for calves.

It's really down to personal preference and whichever fits your schedule better.

ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ColdHardMetal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Pizbo View Post
    Use a bicycle. Ride to the grocery store and wherever else you need to go.
    My bicycle is my answer as well.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vroompac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think stairclimber, dont touch the handrails, can be the hardest. This thing will make you sweat.

Rowing machine is awesome too. I usually do this when I dont run. 30 mins going hard and youll be wiped out. I change up my grip every 30 seconds to keep it from getting boring and to work my arms and back.

For example
    30 secs rowing normal
    30 secs underhand grip
    30 secs normal
    30 secs pulling high, almost like im doing upright rows where the bar comes to my forehead.

I just made this workout up but like I said it keeps it interesting and work various angles.

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I can only have one its my mountain bike. If I can have two, I'd also choose my rower.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you only had one piece of cardio equipment to choose for the rest of your life, what would it be?

http://newyorkbarbells.com/0410.html
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

DigiBitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

:)

Thanks, guys!!!!
    The most "effective" piece of cardio equipment? Well I'd have to 2nd the rowing machine for sure. I recently bought a new Concept2 Rower - and Wow! Works every large muscle group and because of that, you burn more fat! It's intense and has settings for beginners to professional rowers. You can burn what you'd burn in an hour in almost half the time if you kick butt during your workout!

It's like gliding on water, the motion is totally fluid and smooth -- BUT, the only downside is, the C2 rowers are big $money$

You can read about muscles used here:
    http://www.concept2.com/us/training/...usclesused.asp

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    stairclimber.. it is my cardio god
    im not talking those little stepper **** things, i mean the big 10ft high half tonne stair machines
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    A treadmill with a very high incline that can handle much more than my weight so I can wear a vest or carry dumbbells and stuff.

staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) staven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Buy a mountain bike, you can take it slow for an aerobic exercise. Ride like hell uphill until your legs are dying. If you lower the seat it really works the hams and glutes, raise it and it kills the quads. It is also functional as you can use it for transportation. Most importantly it gets me the hell out of the house and away from my woman for the day.