Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

1 gal of water a day is too much???!!???

I recently was talking to a very knowledgable person i know... They teach biology at a skewl and really know a lot about the human body. So anyways, they were telling me the otehr day that 1 galon of water is really too much... She goes on to say that you will lose way to many vitamons and minerals. She said it is a real problem with marathon runners too, as they need so much water that many die from overdrinking. I told her i lift weights regularly (which she already knows) and that I have heard 1 gallon is a standard when it comes to water intake for somone in my positiion... She shook her head.

Me and her didnt really get to finish the combersation as i had to leave and i will probably finish it with her someday soon but I was wondering what you guys think about this.... Is 1gallon of water too much?

Official Toad Kicker garbage cutters's Avatar
    garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50) garbage cutters will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    most of us dont run marathons, we lift weights

Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Crunchbar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by garbage cutters View Post
    most of us dont run marathons, we lift weights
    I kknow that.... did u read the whole post???? She was just telling me how over drinking water can be a problem when she mentioned the runners

MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Eh.. I bet she just read that somewhere from a textbook and decided to agree with that fact.

There are many many people who lift weights over here that drink a gallon + a day, even for myself. Yes, it sux to have to piss every 20 minutes but w/e... As long as my piss is clear I'm fine with that.
    -King Six-

Originally Posted by MisterBrian06 View Post
    Eh.. I bet she just read that somewhere from a textbook and decided to agree with that fact.

There are many many people who lift weights over here that drink a gallon + a day, even for myself. Yes, it sux to have to piss every 20 minutes but w/e... As long as my piss is clear I'm fine with that.
    She is incredibly intelligent tho, one of the brightest people i know, i doubt she would just "pull" somthign out of a textbook.....

bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigdane55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drinking a gallon of water isn't bad for you and it takes many gallons to die from overhydration

MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MisterBrian06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Crunchbar View Post
    She is incredibly intelligent tho, one of the brightest people i know, i doubt she would just "pull" somthign out of a textbook.....
    the next time you get a chance to speak with her about it, please inform us here. i'd like to know what she says about it. thx
    -King Six-

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yes water can lead to death. If someone does very strenuos excerise (i.e. pro athletes) and they drink a lot of water in one go it floods their cells, dilutes their electrolytes and the kidneys shut down because they cannot efficiently filter out the excess water in time to restore the electrolyte balance. This leads to water intoxication and hyponatremia (loss of too much sodium). It happens because the person is dehydrated and has already lost a lot of electrolytes. THis is why athletes generally don't drink plain water, they have gatorade, etc...to rehydrate their bodies but at the same time to replace their electrolytes. If you do workout but drink water at a steady pace throughout the day but not all in one go then no you're not going to have side-effects because your kidneys can filter efficiently and the foods you eat can help re-balance your electrolytes.
    "Success comes before work...only in the dictionary"

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=936089

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460&highlight=ozigal

Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Theres no need to drink that much water during the winter months as you're not perspirating that much. You only need to drink as much as your body needs. There is no need to force yourself to drink 1 gallon of water a day.

You also have to take into account the water content of the foods you eat (fish, rice, fruits, vegetables, etc).

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your friend may be confident but that doesn't mean she knows her facts.

Originally Posted by Crunchbar
    Me and her didnt really get to finish the combersation as i had to leave and i will probably finish it with her someday soon but I was wondering what you guys think about this.... Is 1gallon of water too much?
    here are the results of a simple search on bodybuilding.com. I encourage you to have a read through some of the articles and form your own opinion.

~ Chris

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mtguy8787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Make sure you are getting enough salt. IF your salt levels are depleted, you will be dehydrated most of the time, no matter how much you drink.

You don't sweat that much lifting weights as compared to hard cardio. I doubt you would need 1 whole gallon every day, but it won't hurt as long as you take bits of salt regularly.

That person doesn't sound like s/he is very knowledgeable.

There might be 1 marathon runner every year, max, in the whole world that drank too much water and died. Drinking a fatal amount of water would be very, very hard to do.

StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) StandTall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This topic has been bought up before and debated. I belive their is some truth to it as humans are incredibly ineffcient in getting rid of water without also passing many vitamins and minerals compared to other animals.
    It aint just how much you lift but how you lift it

Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demosthenes1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I try to get at least that per day, but when I was in basic training there was a kid who drank so much water he was sick. They said that he washed out the electrolytes out of his system. So I guess it possible you can get sick from too much water.

varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) varter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's true that too much water is bad for you. In fact, too much of anything is bad for you. We all know and accept this. The problem is where we define "too much," and in most people's humble opinion, 1 gallon is NOT "too much." It's when you start drinking 3-4gals/day that you're swimming in dangerous waters (BAD PUN!).

I could be totally wrong, but two arguments come to mind if I were going to seriously debate this issue.

1. This is why we take multivitamins and eat food, to replenish those vitamin and mineral stores.

2. Vitamins are used by the body, they don't just stick around waiting to be "washed out." I feel as if the only vitamins and minerals being washed out would be the ones your body wouldn't use anyway.

Even if I'm wrong, I say 1-2 gallons is fine and even optimal for athletes like us.
    Kick a nice dog often enough and eventually you have a mean dog on your hands.

Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cinderfella is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ozigal View Post
    yes water can lead to death. If someone does very strenuos excerise (i.e. pro athletes) and they drink a lot of water in one go it floods their cells, dilutes their electrolytes and the kidneys shut down because they cannot efficiently filter out the excess water in time to restore the electrolyte balance. This leads to water intoxication and hyponatremia (loss of too much sodium). It happens because the person is dehydrated and has already lost a lot of electrolytes. THis is why athletes generally don't drink plain water, they have gatorade, etc...to rehydrate their bodies but at the same time to replace their electrolytes. If you do workout but drink water at a steady pace throughout the day but not all in one go then no you're not going to have side-effects because your kidneys can filter efficiently and the foods you eat can help re-balance your electrolytes.
    Good advice.

Yeah like someone else said it is possible to die from drinking too much water but its very very rare. Only like a handful of people a year. You also have to be doing a lot of strenuous exercise to die from it too. Just try to spread it out over the day and you'll be fine.

DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000) DriverDan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Next time you talk to her have her cite her sources. If she can't provide research to backup what she's saying she's full of you know what.
    Owner of SupplementGiveaway.com
    Win free supplements at http://supplementgiveaway.com
    Here Be Dragons: An Introduction To Critical Thinking http://herebedragonsmovie.com/
    WATCH THIS MOVIE BEFORE LISTENING TO THE BROS

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    i would say that she is wrong in the case of someone who is doing heavy resistance training.

you DO sweat more out then most people.

you also consume a LOT of protein as well and NEED the extra water to keep flushing your kidneys out.

the reason why everyone stresses proper multivitamins and a diverse diet is to make up for the stuff that is washed out of your system PLUS the fact that in the effort of growing muscle and the trauma of heavy resistance training you NEED the extra minerals, vitamins and so on.

A "normal" (close to USRDA) diet, yeah i would say that 1 gallon a day is a bit much....but when you start eating 200-500 grams of protein a day ask her how that will effect your body if you do not keep it well hydrated.

I will quote one great source that I am rehashing, it is "Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Dr. Michael Colgan. It is 500 pages of nutritional information written by a guy who has not only a medical degree but also has spent his life feeding athletes and olympians.

DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DAVO17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Water intoxication (hyponatremia) can be lethal...but a gallon of water spread throughout the day is not going to hurt anyone who is healthy.
    Dont chug it all at once, and keep track of the color of your urine and how often you have to urinate.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.”
    -Mahatma Ghandi

Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sam C has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    there has only been 1 reported case of overhydration, followed by death, 1! I do not believe one gallon is too much...it's not enough! I drink at LEAST 2 gallons a day.
    "Tryin' to minimize the issue, but I'm keeping it large
    I love the place that I live, but I hate the people in charge" -IT

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by StandTall View Post
    This topic has been bought up before and debated. I belive their is some truth to it as humans are incredibly ineffcient in getting rid of water without also passing many vitamins and minerals compared to other animals.
    Not totally true.

Vitamins? Nah!

Minerals? yes, but only one: sodium.

The problem compared to "other animals" has to do more with other factors such as being able to excrete very dry feces, not sweating, protein catabolism, etc. I.E issues relating to water conservation that are not related to the way in which animals "flush" stuff off their systems.

Humans are very good at conserving water in their kidneys. But we loose a lot of water in our sweat, lungs, etc.....
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)
    -Not a Dr. in Nutrition or any other Human Biology Field-
    Fish Scientist / Computer Geek / Gymaholic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Ovolactate Pescaterian and scientist.

reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50) reefpicker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Demonsbane View Post
    Theres no need to drink that much water during the winter months as you're not perspirating that much. You only need to drink as much as your body needs. There is no need to force yourself to drink 1 gallon of water a day.

You also have to take into account the water content of the foods you eat (fish, rice, fruits, vegetables, etc).
    Why???

I am not sure I understand your reasoning here.. Do you mean that people sweat less b/c they spend less time outside? b/c of temperature?

I excercise in a gym. What difference would it make?

Furthermore, cold is a diuretic. We get cold and we need to pee... At least I DO!

IDK Just wanted to know what you where getting at (???)
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Registered User The Brotherhood's Avatar
    The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Brotherhood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol a gallon? thats like the bare minimum.

It would take alot of gallons to overyhydrate the normal person. I get 2-2.2 gallons/day, and I know people who go till 3.5. Were all alive and kicking.
    Miscer

Smile

I recently was talking to a very knowledgable person i know... They teach biology at a skewl and really know a lot about the human body. So anyways, they were telling me the otehr day that 1 galon of water is really too much... She goes on to say that you will lose way to many vitamons and minerals. She said it is a real problem with marathon runners too, as they need so much water that many die from overdrinking. I told her i lift weights regularly (which she already knows) and that I have heard 1 gallon is a standard when it comes to water intake for somone in my positiion... She shook her head.

First of all, I think your friend sounds to me like a very knowledgable person. Not many biology students know that overhydration is deadly.

I think she probably tried to give you a quick explanation of the mechanism and she made it sound to you like vitamins are lost by excesive urination, and this is not true.

I would love to explain this but its really late, but anyway the short version is that the concentration of water in the urine is mostly determined by two factors: urea and sodium.

I also want to say that there is one reason that marathon runners are in danger of overhydration: they are sweating a lot!

The body has a very interesting quirck: it can control the amount of sodium in the urine but not in the sweat. Thus, sweating will cause electrolyte and water depletion.

Here is the thing then: you have a runner, loosing both water and sodium, then he drinks water, and now he has less sodium in his blood but more water!!! hyponatremia! boom! the person may feel dizzy, arrythmic, etc.

Now, back to the gallon question. Your friend is saying this b/c a gallon sounds like a lot of water. However, it is only twice the recommended amount for an average adult. An athlete, marathon runner or swimmer or what not, will always loose water by two mechanisms: sweating and panting (respiration). Even the swimmer So, an athlete will need MORE water than the average adult (like her, she probably consumes about half a gallon of water a day)....

Factor in all the supplements, vitamins, etc and you create a need for more water. More water is needed to store that creatine you ingest. More water is needed to build muscle tissue. Water is also needed to temporarily absorb the 40g of protein you digested in your high protein meal. Water ingestion is increased for a body builder.

I am not sure about the whole, 2 gallon thing, but I am pretty sure that 1 gallon of water is healthy and risk-free.

Hope this helps!
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are suffering from serious medical concerns please be sure to check with your doctor.

My name is Mark.

Originally Posted by DAVO17 View Post
    Water intoxication (hyponatremia) can be lethal...but a gallon of water spread throughout the day is not going to hurt anyone who is healthy.
    Dont chug it all at once, and keep track of the color of your urine and how often you have to urinate.

what color should your pee be and what does the difference about your urine color meen as regards to your water intake.

Also when u say spread it out throughout the day, is it alright that i get a lot of water when i wake up and a ton during workout and the rest of the day i just drink like so-so?

By the way, i didnt think 1 galon of water would lead to death, but I am curious if it will have ANY negative side effects. Anyone know?

Also anyone have any sources i can site to help me win this debate?

Also anyone have any sources i can site to help me win this debate?
    lol

check my posting and read it to her. It will make sense if she is indeed a biologist. She will understand. The basic explanation does not need a "source", only knowledge of biology and physiology.

Let me sum it up for you like this, so you can "win" if you so desire:

a) the example of the marathon runner can not be applied to a normal adult: the problem with marathon runners is that they sweat profusely and drink tons of water. They loose sodium and water but only replace water.

b) Athletes eat lots of protein. Protein digestion increases the amino acids in blood. amino acids in blood increase the ONCOTIC pressure. This causes a need for water.

c) Creatine supplementation is common among athletes.. Creatine is stored in the muscle. It is a solute. It increases osmotic pressure. Cells need more water to store it.

d) Also if she says that vitamins are lost in the urine, tell her to get a text book on physiology and read about the way in which water is excreted. Urea and sodium are used in the renal tubules to excrete water passively.

Ant now I am going to bed......... Hope you "win" your argument. (is she that annoying or are you the one annoying her? LOL JK)
    c)
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Originally Posted by Forge3 View Post
    From that article:

Drink 1.5 gallons of water per day! This is so important and so overlooked. Since you will have less glycogen in your cells, you will also lose some fluid out of the cells. .

I really think this explanation needs an explanation

Anyone here understand this? I am too tired now.. going to bed... but this just sounds right now to me like saying an orange is orange bc its orange lol

Sorry that this comes from a reputable sight, but gosh, saying YOU NEED 1.5 G of water is just not responsible... Some people here weight 100 pounds and some are like 300 pounds... Some are 5% bf and some are 30 %bf.... Its impossibe that everyone will need 1.5 gallons...
    Dr. ReefPicker (PhD)

Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
    i would say that she is wrong in the case of someone who is doing heavy resistance training.

you DO sweat more out then most people.

you also consume a LOT of protein as well and NEED the extra water to keep flushing your kidneys out.

the reason why everyone stresses proper multivitamins and a diverse diet is to make up for the stuff that is washed out of your system PLUS the fact that in the effort of growing muscle and the trauma of heavy resistance training you NEED the extra minerals, vitamins and so on.

A "normal" (close to USRDA) diet, yeah i would say that 1 gallon a day is a bit much....but when you start eating 200-500 grams of protein a day ask her how that will effect your body if you do not keep it well hydrated.

I will quote one great source that I am rehashing, it is "Optimum Sports Nutrition" by Dr. Michael Colgan. It is 500 pages of nutritional information written by a guy who has not only a medical degree but also has spent his life feeding athletes and olympians.
    Then she is goin to start by saying how eating so much grams of protein per day is dangerous to your health.. ^_^
    -King Six-

JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JUGERNAUT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by The Brotherhood View Post
    lol a gallon? thats like the bare minimum.

It would take alot of gallons to overyhydrate the normal person. I get 2-2.2 gallons/day, and I know people who go till 3.5. Were all alive and kicking.

I agree. To die from over hydration you would have to consume like thirty gallons.

jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordaro2002 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Interesting take on drinking water. I agree that drinking a gallon of water is overkill.