Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey Amp, yes, I've read the book and although I don't recall the details of the program but I recall thinking that it was a sounds, well designed approach.

Originally Posted by Amplifiedxx View Post
    Are you familiar with Jim Wendlers 5/3/1. If so, can you give me your thoughts/opinions on the program?
    Charles Staley
    Staley Performance Institute
    Seek It. Learn It. Live It
    O: (602) 453-5567
    http://www.StaleyPerformance.com

staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) staley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have to idea what that program is but if you'd like to explain the details I'd be happy to comment on it. In either case you shouldn't be eating carbs

Originally Posted by samarik View Post
    I weigh 300lbs...5'10. I've finally got some motivation to start slimming down...I did workouts before and went from 270-240 in 3 months but than stopped and never did it again. So now... I'm thinking about following Kris gethin program to slim down, what are your thoughts? Is it the right program for me? Any hints/tips for loosing more efficiently?
    Can't paste link too new... but if you type Kris gethin on this website u can find it
    Charles Staley

I'd do something along the lines of Starting Strength, or anything that resembles that

Originally Posted by wh2o View Post
    what program should i use?
    ok so i'm 16 worked out for 4 months in the gym, gained 10lb,(gained very little fat, barely noticeable).
    i made a thread in here about a week ago and got some good pretty helpfull comments but i still lack some info.. (was told to do all pro's without the DL)

i don't deadlift at all and prefer not to do any sets with less than 8 reps...

will wait for your first comment and than probably continue with questions about your answer..
    if you need any more info that might help you reach a better decision than ask.
    thanks!

(btw goal is to gain equally strength and size)
    Charles Staley

As much as I'd like to help, I literally know NOTHING about you, other than that you wanna be fast in May. Can you understand how it might be difficult to respond intelligently to your request here?

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon5 View Post
    Staley,

I need to make sure that my track and field times/distances are at their best during the month of may (starting next year), I am so lost on how to do so.
    Charles Staley

samarik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by staley View Post
    I have to idea what that program is but if you'd like to explain the details I'd be happy to comment on it. In either case you shouldn't be eating carbs
    Its basically an intense 12 wks workout. 2 x cardio 20 mins daily and work on each body part a week. Nutrition is not part of that plan... I would have to get my nutrition from somewhere else.. but my basic idea is alot of protein and less carbs & fat.

Thanks,
    Sameer

Sameer, sorry to be tough on you, but this still tells me nothing.

First of all, no workout takes 12 weeks/ I've never heard of a workout that lasts 12 hours, no less 12 weeks!

Second, "Cardio" is a very vague term- it can mean almost anything. This tells me nothing.

Third, you have more than 7 bodyparts, so how do you work one "part" per day, and what does a "part" mean exactly?

Fourth, even if I know what you meant above, I still don't know what exercises you're using, what intensities, what set/rep brackets, etc.

All f the above aside, nutrition is going to be a huge component for you. I'd investigate no-carb and/or paleo strategies.

Originally Posted by samarik View Post
    Its basically an intense 12 wks workout. 2 x cardio 20 mins daily and work on each body part a week. Nutrition is not part of that plan... I would have to get my nutrition from somewhere else.. but my basic idea is alot of protein and less carbs & fat.

Thanks,
    Sameer
    Charles Staley

Kamisei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamisei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamisei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Staley,

I'm looking for a way to train with the most hypertrophy as possible.
    Right now i'm doing german volume training, the 'Poliquin way'. I can't give any long-term results about it, since it's my second week now. The way the program is designed, is doing 3 workouts of chest + back, legs + abs, shoulders + arms. Take 2 exercises, 1 for each muscle group, and superset them.

So monday I do decline dumbell bench presses with a supinated grip, supersetted into chinups, with a 90 second rest after both exercises.
    I do a weight that I can maintain for a maximum of 20 reps, but i stick to 10 reps and do 10 sets.
    After the first exercises, I do supplementary work: 3 supersets with 60 seconds rest, 10 - 12 reps. Incline dumbell flyes and one-arm dumbell rows.

Then tuesday and thursday I do my legs + abs, respectively shoulders + arms. Now, I don't have to go in detail there I think, but they're solid exercises for muscle growth.

My question is basically this:
    Is this the best program I could do, or should i go for a program where I periodize in sets, reps and weight, (like this research journal found out is the best for muscle growth: http:/ /journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2009/12000/Comparison_Between_Linear_and_Daily_Undulating.3.a spx )

And if so, what's the best amount of reps/sets for hypertrophy?
    By that I also want to know the amount of exercises and muscle groups. As you say there are 7 muscle groups, but for muscular hypertrophy, will it be best to stick to the big 4? quads, chest, back and hamstrings, and do mostly compound movements?

As for time, I'm a student but I can be in the gym for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, that'd be fine. I just want to do the optimal thing for hypertrophy.

I know that everybody is unique etc, so there is no optimal program, but right now I can't even distinguish what is bad, what is good, and what should be the programs i should pick from.

So far I've tried HIT training of 1 set to failure, as dorian yates advocates, with the exercises and RM percentages he implies with the amount of reps you should do on his program, and a more conventional approach of a full body workout 3 times a week, periodising in the sets.

It's a pretty long question so i'll summarize a bit:
    I would like to know if i should be looking at programs that are full-body, split, what kind of split if so, and the amount of sets and reps and RM percentages I should be aiming at.

I hope my question is clear that way, and if not I can always reply for clarification if you have a question about it.

Btw Samarik meant a program where he mentioned workout. As in a program of different workouts all together, to be seen as something you can execute. And i removed a space in the link I supplied, because otherwise I can't link it on this forum.

Regards.

SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedDemon5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As much as I'd like to help, I literally know NOTHING about you, other than that you wanna be fast in May. Can you understand how it might be difficult to respond intelligently to your request here?
    OK, can you just help me better understand periodization?

There's a lot to your question, but I do understand it. Correct— there's no best way, just methods and principles that work. If you hired me to put as much muscle on you as humanly possible, I'd have you training 3-4 days a week, using 3-4 exercises per session, and the exercises would feature the following movements:

• Back Squats andor Front Squats
    • Deadlifts
    • Bench Press and/or DB Bench
    • Chins and/or Pullups
    • Barbell Presses and/or Push Presses
    • Some type of horizontal Row

These are the best movements for functional strength and hypertrophy IMO>

Set/rep brackets could range anywhere from 3 sets of 12 to 10 sets of 3, and everything in-between. I do believe in maximal strength training performed concurrently with hypertrophy training

I like narrow pyramids followed by 1-3 back-off sets. For example:

Back Squat

45x5, 905x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315 (3x3), 265x8, 115x12

Exact sets, reps etc., are determined "on the fly" based on how things are going at the moment. I prefer maximum variety within the bounds of the above parameters.

I use little to no direct arm, ab, or calf training assuming that you're not a competitive bodybuilder. Even if you were, I'm not sure if I'd go there

Hope this helps to give you a sense of my approach, but feel free to pose follow up questions if you'd like.

Originally Posted by Kamisei View Post
    Hey Staley,

I'm looking for a way to train with the most hypertrophy as possible.
    Right now i'm doing german volume training, the 'Poliquin way'. I can't give any long-term results about it, since it's my second week now. The way the program is designed, is doing 3 workouts of chest + back, legs + abs, shoulders + arms. Take 2 exercises, 1 for each muscle group, and superset them.

So monday I do decline dumbell bench presses with a supinated grip, supersetted into chinups, with a 90 second rest after both exercises.
    I do a weight that I can maintain for a maximum of 20 reps, but i stick to 10 reps and do 10 sets.
    After the first exercises, I do supplementary work: 3 supersets with 60 seconds rest, 10 - 12 reps. Incline dumbell flyes and one-arm dumbell rows.

Then tuesday and thursday I do my legs + abs, respectively shoulders + arms. Now, I don't have to go in detail there I think, but they're solid exercises for muscle growth.

My question is basically this:
    Is this the best program I could do, or should i go for a program where I periodize in sets, reps and weight, (like this research journal found out is the best for muscle growth: http:/ /journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2009/12000/Comparison_Between_Linear_and_Daily_Undulating.3.a spx )

And if so, what's the best amount of reps/sets for hypertrophy?
    By that I also want to know the amount of exercises and muscle groups. As you say there are 7 muscle groups, but for muscular hypertrophy, will it be best to stick to the big 4? quads, chest, back and hamstrings, and do mostly compound movements?

As for time, I'm a student but I can be in the gym for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week, that'd be fine. I just want to do the optimal thing for hypertrophy.

I know that everybody is unique etc, so there is no optimal program, but right now I can't even distinguish what is bad, what is good, and what should be the programs i should pick from.

So far I've tried HIT training of 1 set to failure, as dorian yates advocates, with the exercises and RM percentages he implies with the amount of reps you should do on his program, and a more conventional approach of a full body workout 3 times a week, periodising in the sets.

It's a pretty long question so i'll summarize a bit:
    I would like to know if i should be looking at programs that are full-body, split, what kind of split if so, and the amount of sets and reps and RM percentages I should be aiming at.

I hope my question is clear that way, and if not I can always reply for clarification if you have a question about it.

Btw Samarik meant a program where he mentioned workout. As in a program of different workouts all together, to be seen as something you can execute. And i removed a space in the link I supplied, because otherwise I can't link it on this forum.

Regards.
    Charles Staley

Kamisei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamisei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kamisei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello,

Just a short and fast reply: thanks for the answer.
    I think the starting strength program from mr. Rippetoe is best suited for me then, while switching to a variation of it, including periodisation in sets and reps after the linear strength progression comes to a halt for an extended period of time, when i've grown into a more intermediate training age.

Your feedback is congruent with what my available scientific research tells me.
    Thanks a lot, your feedback will save me months, if not years of time, where i'd otherwise be testing different researched hypertrophy-specific training methods.

Regards

There's a lot to your question, but I do understand it. Correct— there's no best way, just methods and principles that work. If you hired me to put as much muscle on you as humanly possible, I'd have you training 3-4 days a week, using 3-4 exercises per session, and the exercises would feature the following movements:

• Back Squats andor Front Squats
    • Deadlifts
    • Bench Press and/or DB Bench
    • Chins and/or Pullups
    • Barbell Presses and/or Push Presses
    • Some type of horizontal Row

These are the best movements for functional strength and hypertrophy IMO>

Set/rep brackets could range anywhere from 3 sets of 12 to 10 sets of 3, and everything in-between. I do believe in maximal strength training performed concurrently with hypertrophy training

I like narrow pyramids followed by 1-3 back-off sets. For example:

Back Squat

45x5, 905x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315 (3x3), 265x8, 115x12

Exact sets, reps etc., are determined "on the fly" based on how things are going at the moment. I prefer maximum variety within the bounds of the above parameters.

I use little to no direct arm, ab, or calf training assuming that you're not a competitive bodybuilder. Even if you were, I'm not sure if I'd go there

Hope this helps to give you a sense of my approach, but feel free to pose follow up questions if you'd like.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Personally I think bodypart splits are terribly inefficient
    Personally "the pump" is meaningless to me— it's "exerciser" thinking, placing pain before performance (my personal boas is reflected in the title of this column FYI)
    We use full-body exclusively. Much more efficient/functional. Train movements, not muscles
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why do people who don't give a sh*t about bodybuilding answer questions related to bodybuilding?

Exactly what this section doesn't need.
    Who was this love of yours?

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I use little to no direct arm, ab, or calf training assuming that you're not a competitive bodybuilder. Even if you were, I'm not sure if I'd go there.
    I'm not sure I understand how this makes sense from a bodybuilding perspective. Bodybuilding, after all, is about developing all muscles to a desired size & proportion. Using only a few compound lifts isn't going to lead to a competitive physique.

From what I've read, your advice seems more in line with recommendations for a strength athlete, and not necessarily a bodybuilder.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    there is clearly good information and knowledge to be had from this thread, but it is in the wrong section imo. the advice given, especially about direct work for arms, abs, and calves is terrible for bodybuilding purposes.
    i'm hungry

CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    Why do people who don't give a sh*t about bodybuilding answer questions related to bodybuilding?

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how this makes sense from a bodybuilding perspective. Bodybuilding, after all, is about developing all muscles to a desired size & proportion. Using only a few compound lifts isn't going to lead to a competitive physique.

From what I've read, your advice seems more in line with recommendations for a strength athlete, and not necessarily a bodybuilder.
    Originally Posted by unity View Post
    there is clearly good information and knowledge to be had from this thread, but it is in the wrong section imo. the advice given, especially about direct work for arms, abs, and calves is terrible for bodybuilding purposes.

Every workout program doesn't have to be about bodybuilding to be in the WP section.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CYTX View Post
    Every workout program doesn't have to be about bodybuilding to be in the WP section.
    I don't think we'll have to worry about that happening anytime soon.

I don't know sh*t about olympic lifting. if someone asked me about it, i'd refer them to someone else who does, not give terrible advice that shows a lack of understanding of that style of training.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

With that said, on any given exercise, if your performance doesn't diminish within 10 sets, your load is probably too light.
    Hey mister Staley!
    I have a specific question: how does strength when doing AGVT not only doesn't decrease towards set number 10, but actually gets better and batter after a slight decline somewhere in the middle? Bench, row, squat, you name it. I've noticed that with me, and quite a few more people. I seriously need an answer to that.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Perhaps not, but I'm trying to clarify what it is about.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CYTX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't think we'll have to worry about that happening anytime soon.

I don't know sh*t about olympic lifting. if someone asked me about it, i'd refer them to someone else who does, not give terrible advice that shows a lack of understanding of that style of training.
    Not knowing about a technical form of lifting when you are a lifting for hobby is totally different that being a well known strength coach whose job is lifting and performance training.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i like strength training.

but a lot of young people come on here looking for advice for bodybuilding and get confused because they receive advice about strength training. there needs some kind of clarification.
    i'm hungry

Not knowing about a technical form of lifting when you are a lifting for hobby is totally different that being a well known strength coach whose job is lifting and performance training.
    What does that have to do with anything?

Strength and performance coaches should stick to answering strength and performance questions.

Do you disagree with that?

i like strength training.

but a lot of young people come on here looking for advice for bodybuilding and get confused because they receive advice about strength training. there needs some kind of clarification.
    So it should be the OPs job to dumb down the topic for idiots that are too stupid to know the difference. I think the level of discussion will do just fine weeding those people out. Seems common sense not to ask about arms/calves in threads discussing periodization and programming.

How about "hey this guy got stickied maybe I should google who he is before asking stupid questions".

What does that have to do with anything?

Strength and performance coaches should stick to answering strength and performance questions.

Do you disagree with that?
    To a point yes. Hypertrophy is a subject that is studied and learned as part of different programming. Every coach is going to know the subject matter much better the lay person. It might not be their area of expertise and desired training program but that doesn't mean they shouldn't speak on the subject matter.

Now I don't think they should discredit as pointless or a waste of time. Different people have different goals. You can say I don't believe in that or whatever but to discredit it all together is wrong.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Exclamation

"hey this guy got stickied maybe I should google who he is before asking stupid questions".
    I googled Vox. Came up with squat.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

I gave my advice only because I was asked for it

Charles Staley

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

The name of this sticky is Staley On Performance
    Someone asked Mr Staley for his opinion on bodybuilding and he gave it.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    The name of this sticky is Staley On Performance
    Someone asked Mr Staley for his opinion on bodybuilding and he gave it.
    Then like I and the rest implied, it's in the wrong section. (Not his fault)

The section is already bad enough with performance guys fielding bodybuilding questions.

It's littered with 'train the movement, not the muscle' types.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    good job, mr. staley. question about master's track. it's been on my bucket list to try a meet, shorter sprints.

have you an opinion on weight training? what were the sprinters doing when you competed?

could sure use a short list of the exercises deemed important for the masters athlete. presently i'm doing the usual stuff:

m overhead press, bench light, rows
    w deadlift, romanian deadlift, chins
    f or sat back squat, leg press, leg ext, leg curl, bench, overhead press light

mostly though, i am curious about incorporating sprints into this....should i do my track work/hill work first? and then hit the gym? or do the running on days that i don't hit the gym? i only hit the track 2x per week, once for speed training, and once for speed endurance.

thanks my man!
    Last edited by boathead; 05-19-2011 at 02:39 PM.

syntx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On topic: I haven't seen many beginner programs that introduce people to the oly lifts. I have done Starting Strength and one of Bill Starr's programs on and off for about a year and have made great gains (although not as good as it could have been), but want to gain more explosiveness and speed. Is there something you would recommend or am I simply uninformed? If you need more information I can post it.

Edit: As I mentioned I ran Bill Starr's 5x5, I was able to do this for 14 straight weeks. I believe I've overtrained my CNS as I've stalled on my Bench and Back Squat, how long do most people deload for before starting back up again? Or if that's not the right question, how can I tell that I've completely recovered from any fatigue?

Edit 2: If you were to do a bodybuilding routine, would you still stick to compound barbell lifts and simply increase reps?
    Last edited by syntx; 05-20-2011 at 08:27 AM.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post
    Then like I and the rest implied, it's in the wrong section. (Not his fault)

The section is already bad enough with performance guys fielding bodybuilding questions.

It's littered with 'train the movement, not the muscle' types.
    It isn't in the wrong section. The name of this section is work out programs. That would be any and all work out programs.