azfitmommyof4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pre-Workout Meal before 6 am? Yuck

I am having trouble eating something before I work out. I wake up between 530 and 6, have my coffee, then workout. This is my ONLY time to get a workout in, I work full time, go to school and am a single mother of 4 small children so my only option is to workout at home and first thing. My question is, is it really ok to workout on an empty stomach then have my post workout shake immediately after, then "breakfast" a bit later? Or should I be eating something first and pushing things back a bit? Thanks!

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by azfitmommyof4 View Post
    I am having trouble eating something before I work out. I wake up between 530 and 6, have my coffee, then workout. This is my ONLY time to get a workout in, I work full time, go to school and am a single mother of 4 small children so my only option is to workout at home and first thing. My question is, is it really ok to workout on an empty stomach then have my post workout shake immediately after, then "breakfast" a bit later? Or should I be eating something first and pushing things back a bit? Thanks!
    It really depends on how you feel. Are your work outs productive? If so then don't worry it's fine. If your feeling queasy or feel that your not getting enough out of your workout due to lack of fuel then maybe try something light. I work out early on Saturday mornings and only have a protein shake and coffee before hand. There's not any steadfast rules, when it comes down to it it's an indivual choice.

Kuddos for getting a workout in at all! Most people would use your bust schedule as their excuse not to work out.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

Thank you I normally feel ok, but this morning was a bit light headed and that usually isn't the case. I think I am afraid too of eating too much then REALLY feeling like crap during my workout!! Ha Thanks again!

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some people regularly train fasted in the mornings. In order to do so with energy, you may benefit from making sure you eat something later in the evening to fuel that early am workout.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I had exactly the same issue. The only time I can work out is 4:30-6. So I started taking BCAA's (i get them plain in the Vitamine shoppe and add packet of stevia) and a cup of coffee. It works great - I have lots of energy and I never have to worry about what to eat so early I am also doing IF so I don't eat until 12:30-1.

I have BCAA's in my cupboard, time to open the bottle! I will try that tomorrow with my coffee and see how i feel. I could just suck it up, but I am pretty sure passing out would be a bad idea Thank you!

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have BCAA's in my cupboard, time to open the bottle! I will try that tomorrow with my coffee and see how i feel. I could just suck it up, but I am pretty sure passing out would be a bad idea Thank you!
    I take 10 mg 10-15 min before workout, 10 mg during and 10 mg after per Martin's IF guide.

ladybug164 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If I'm feeling like I need to eat something before a morning workout or eaten light the night before I have a banana or fruit, plain greek yogurt, or a few almonds. If its a longer/strenuous workout I split whatever I'm planning for breakfast that day for before/after. Working out that early is great especially if you are super busy!

JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I usually start my workout around 5 am, having gotten up between 4:30 and 4:50. Unless I feel really famished or weak, I don't eat. I like to have a nice sized breakfast, so I don't want to "waste" the calories pre-workout if I don't need to. If I feel really sluggish, I'll have a glass of skim milk first. I don't know that I've ever lifted after a meal, but I know that when I've done a cardio class in the evenings after dinner, sometimes I feel nasty. I usually get up, workout, shower, wake-up daughter #1, get dressed, then make breakfast and eat it all while rangling daughter #2 (who is 3) and making sure we're all ready to head out the door when my husband gets home from the gym.

dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dawnr1101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't like eating that early in the morning. I do the same thing as you except when I wake up and feel like I need something small I will have 1 tablespoon of protein powder with glutamine before my workout.
    www.bareitallfitness.com
    @dawnro1101