thename1000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

For p90x, dumbells or powerblock?

It looks like it'll cost me about ~$110 at walmart to get 3 sets of dumbbells(10,20,30). When I move up, I figure I'll have to buy another 3 sets for a total of ~$290-$300. (Set of 6 dumbbells, 10,15,20,25,30,45 or so)

The powerblock 45lb costs ~$330 on amazon.

So I don't see a reason to buy the powerblock. I can spend a little less and can space it out into two payments.

What am I missing here?

rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10) rosshmusic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used adjustable dumbbells for P90X... They worked well as you don't dove that quickly from movement to movement. The perks for me was they saved a lot of space and were cheaper then buying individual dumbells for me.

It was the right decision at the time but if I had to do it over again I would buy individuals as they are generally more durable and no need to worry about adjusting the weights quickly between moves as you progress beyond P90X. If space is one of the bigger concerns I'd just bite the bullet and get the Powermaster adjustables (or the Ironmasters). I still don't have much space for storage and if I need more dumbells it will likely be the Ironmasters. I'd rather save room for a BB and oly weights.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can get cheap spinlocks or http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/ultimo45/ and buy additional standard plates. P90X has frequent and annoying weight switches to help sell bowflex dumbbells. You want to aim for dumbbells that can get to 100-150 lbs. With some powerblock models that gets expensive. The quick switching feature isn't crucial when you start dealing with heavier weights.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, at first I disregarded the Bowflex SelectTech's because I heard one or two bad things about them..

But they are $300, and thats about the same price as traditional dumbells. (And cheaper than the powerblock)

They also go up to 52, pounds, vs the 45 pounds for the powerblock.

It now looks like I might just get the bowflex. Unless you guys have a reason not to get them?

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thename1000 View Post
    It looks like it'll cost me about ~$110 at walmart to get 3 sets of dumbbells(10,20,30). When I move up, I figure I'll have to buy another 3 sets for a total of ~$290-$300. (Set of 6 dumbbells, 10,15,20,25,30,45 or so)

The powerblock 45lb costs ~$330 on amazon.

So I don't see a reason to buy the powerblock. I can spend a little less and can space it out into two payments.

What am I missing here?

I think that's a reasonable question. I bought my Powerblock U-50s and Ironmaster 120s at significantly less than their retail price by buying used on Craigslist. At retail price, you are still saving if you compare the price of the Powerblock to buying all of the weights that they cover. You've skipped some weights that I use regularly... and don't go above 45. That wouldn't work for me.

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    (1) You're missing 35, 40, and 50...

(2) and on some sets you're missing the micro loading increments 12.5, 17.5, 22.5, 27.5, 32.5, 37.5, 42.5 and 47.5

(3) and on some sets you're missing the upgrades to 120lbs and all the increments below.

(4) and you're missing the space saving design.

If you want to save money, the cheapest option is used pancake plates and spinlock dumbbell handles --as others have mentioned.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bowflex are plastic and break easily, plus they are huge and awkward. I have powerblocks and ironmasters and they are both quality. Ironmasters are more bulletproof, Powerblocks are plenty durable if you don't toss them down after sets. I also have P90X vids. The ironmasters won't really work for the P90X b/c they take a little bit too long to change, but are fantastic dumbbells. Powerblocks work very nicely for P90X, and are upgradeable later. Just don't drop them.

If you want to go cheap, spinlocks are probably the easiest, grab 4-6 handles for quick change and have them pre-set up at regularly used weights, and buy more standard pancake plates as you need them.

Play it again sports is great for grabbing additional plates and handles on the cheap. I think they sometimes carry powerblocks in the 250 range also.

If you buy the powerblocks make sure to buy the model that is expandable up to 90 pounds later, as you may not be doing dropsets forever and will most likely get strong enough to handle the bigger weights.

Other option is that if you look around on craigslist sometimes people will sell 5-50 pounds dumbbell pairs and a rack in the $300-$400 range, if you have the space and patience that would get you a whole set for about the same price. Stay away from bowflex, reebok, rockets, or any other adjustable than the ones previously mentioned. Their inner parts are plastic that is prone to cracking.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thename1000 View Post
    It now looks like I might just get the bowflex. Unless you guys have a reason not to get them?
    Read the sticky that says "***READ THIS FIRST***". Bowflex is garbage. Some of them have even been recalled.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50) wannagoheavy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Danger Will Robinson Danger.....Bowflex are crapola.

I had the 90 lbs boxflex and the weights would randomly fall off the handle when OUTSIDE the cradle. I bought the u-90 powerblocks and really like them fast to change but a little bulky, tried the Ironmasters they seem well built.
    This forum is great! Wish I found it years ago.....

TY for your help guys.

Ok no bowflex, I'm going to go the powerblock way unless I can understand this 'spinlock' thing. Is there a guide somewhere for them? Where do I get the handles from? Are they safe? If I have several of them pre set up with weights, wont that be expensive?

My other question is about the powerblocks upgrade-ability. My local play it again sports has the Sport 5.5 PowerBlock (up to 55lbs) for $330, which is the same price on amazon for the 45lb 'classic' version. Is the sport version just as good? Does anyone know if its upgradeable? It seems like even if it is, you pay $150 for another 20lbs...

scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10) scottofio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    check out powerblocks website, they list their different models. ou are looking for the U-90 set, if you like the weights to be made out of rubber, the sports series you want the sport 9.0, b/c the others aren't expandable, or the elite series 50, which is expandable too. the sport and classic are $300 for 50 pounds, the U-90 set goes for $379.

When you upgrade, you aren't paying for an extra 20 pounds at $X per pound. When you go up from 50- 70 you are in effect buying two 55 pound db's, two 60 pound db's, two 65 pound db's and two 70 pound db's for $150. Price that out at academy and see how it compares price-wise.

The spinlocks can be picked up for 4 dollars a handle at play it again, they have handle with the ends threaded that you slip the weights over, and use a collar that spins on tight to hold the weight. I only said get more than 2 handles b/c if you get a bunch of plates, the handles can be set up for what you need before hand. My wife likes to have them for lighter weights, 15 pounds and a 10 pound and then I have two solid 5 pounds and 8 pounds for her that she can just grab. The handles I think way 4 pounds a piece, so a 15-ish pounder is two 5 pounds plates and the handle, etc.

spinlocks

spinlocks pictured here
    Attached Images