Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

shoulder pain after doing pull-ups

I get a sharp pain near my clavicle/right shoulder after doing regular pull-ups. The pain doesn't occur when I do wide grip pull-ups though. The pain is present after I do a set of pull-ups and hunch my shoulders forward to grab water or write in the training log.

I also feel it after benching sometimes but I don't really have any more specifics. I also have somewhat an imbalance of chest to back where my chest is a lot more developed, which I got from neglecting my back when I first started working out.

Does anyone know what this could be?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deadikated View Post
    I get a sharp pain near my clavicle/right shoulder after doing regular pull-ups. The pain doesn't occur when I do wide grip pull-ups though. The pain is present after I do a set of pull-ups and hunch my shoulders forward to grab water or write in the training log.

I also feel it after benching sometimes but I don't really have any more specifics. I also have somewhat an imbalance of chest to back where my chest is a lot more developed, which I got from neglecting my back when I first started working out.

Does anyone know what this could be?
    First guess is AC joint, but there's a lot of "stuff" in that area. Do you have any shoulder pain associated with curls? Does it hurt if you bring you arm in front of you, across your chest? Does it hurt specifically on either internal or external rotation?

Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadikated is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's what I am thinking. I don't get the pain from curls at all. I'm doing pull-ups today so I will report more specifically about the pain after.

Thanks so far!

powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's what I am thinking. I don't get the pain from curls at all. I'm doing pull-ups today so I will report more specifically about the pain after.

Thanks so far!
    could be just muscle/tendon strain. how long do feel the pain?
    Fitness Means Power!

Originally Posted by powerpressure View Post
    could be just muscle/tendon strain. how long do feel the pain?
    It goes away after about a minute. I only feel anything if I lower my arms to pick something up or bend over.

powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow

It goes away after about a minute. I only feel anything if I lower my arms to pick something up or bend over.
    Stop all exercises that cause the pain for 1-2 weeks. Take joint supp with about 1.5 g of glucosamine, 1.2 g chondroitin, MSM 700-800 mg and hyaluronic acid 3.3 mg daily. In about 1-2 weeks you should be feeling much better.
    Fitness Means Power!

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get some tissue work done on pec minor. If you are imbalanced as you say, your pec is shortening while your back muscles are lengthening (weakening). A slight imbalance here can cause the humeral head to move forward and cause an impingement situation.

I'd incorporate some scapular retraction and depression in there to offset all the pressing work. In other words, row.

Taking 1-2 weeks off on the aggravating movements would also be a good idea. Think of it as a deload period.

KY

Originally Posted by powerpressure View Post
    Stop all exercises that cause the pain for 1-2 weeks. Take joint supp with about 1.5 g of glucosamine, 1.2 g chondroitin, MSM 700-800 mg and hyaluronic acid 3.3 mg daily. In about 1-2 weeks you should be feeling much better.
    Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
    Get some tissue work done on pec minor. If you are imbalanced as you say, your pec is shortening while your back muscles are lengthening (weakening). A slight imbalance here can cause the humeral head to move forward and cause an impingement situation.

I'd incorporate some scapular retraction and depression in there to offset all the pressing work. In other words, row.

Taking 1-2 weeks off on the aggravating movements would also be a good idea. Think of it as a deload period.

KY
    I appreciate it guys! Repped.