mattgorman21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I take whey protein in the morning?

I'm trying to add a little muscle onto my body after losing a significant amount of fat and dropping down to 10% BF.

My question is: Should I take a whey protein shake in the morning? (6:00 AM) (gold standard double chocolate, if it matters)

I have trouble eating in the morning, as I usually have no appetite. I workout usually at 3:00 PM, and try to eat protein throughout the day. I eat peanut butter jelly sandwiches on wheat bread 2x a day, trail mix (for peanuts and nuts), an apple or banana or two, 10 baby carrots, and I usually come home to putting some chicken on a single slice of wheat bread. Later in the day for my last meal I might have some dried fruit or peanuts (more trailmix) in addition to some grass fed beef.

I don't know if I'm eating enough, which is why I asked my question. I think it might help me reach my goal of 1G of protein per pound I weigh (163), but then again, I don't really know anything, so this hypothesis may have some negative effects I don't know about.

Workout routine: 4 times a week, run for about 10-20 minutes a day, then lift for about 45.

Input? Thanks for reading through this.

*I am currently taking no additional supplements to an occasional protein shake after lifting.

typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) typicals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best times to drink whey protein is in the morning and after workout. So it's safe to safe you can drink it in the morning, however, eating in the morning is the most important meal of the day. So I do however prefer actual foods than whey protein in the morning.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by typicals View Post
    The best times to drink whey protein is in the morning and after workout. So it's safe to safe you can drink it in the morning, however, eating in the morning is the most important meal of the day. So I do however prefer actual foods than whey protein in the morning.
    Is it? Why
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Is there no adverse effect of consuming a shake in the morning? Also, why are the best times in the morning and after workouts?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^ Ugh, no.

OP: You can consume a protein shake whenever your want to or not at all. It's total daily energy intake and micro/macronutrient sufficiency that govern the outcome of your diet.

TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I make a 600 calorie or so shake the night before and put it on my nightstand so when I wake up I can drink it first thing. This buys me some time to take a shower, and wake up properly allowing my appetite to build up and then I eat breakfast. Puts me into building mode immediately upon waking.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TrailRated6 View Post
    I make a 600 calorie or so shake the night before and put it on my nightstand so when I wake up I can drink it first thing. This buys me some time to take a shower, and wake up properly allowing my appetite to build up and then I eat breakfast. Puts me into building mode immediately upon waking.
    Surely you're joking, right?

nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000) nobrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    So you consume 600 calories to allow your appetite to build up? And what kind of time are you buying? Will taking a shower really make so much of a difference that you have to down a shake immediately upon waking?

*boggle*

Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xfaxtor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not sure if incredibly funny or incredibly stupid.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Sooo, what's the answer?

Originally Posted by mattgorman21 View Post
    Sooo, what's the answer?
    See post #6.

yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Listen.. look at Whey protein like any other food.. The plus points are that it is low in calories and high in protein content and hence help people meet their daily protein requirements especially when cutting. Whey protein shake is also easy and quick to make, easy to carry around when travelling etc.

End of the day what matters is if you hit your daily calorie goals and macros..

Yes, whey protein can be had in the morning or whenever you want. If you have hard time eating in the morning then make your own shake by adding whey protein, banana(or other fruits), peanut butter, dry fruits, milk, oats etc.
    AMC

The only real natty bodybuilder that I know for sure is me! :)

Rebelling in my psychosis thegymbum's Avatar
    thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000) thegymbum is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol, seriously? why don't you just go to bed 3 minutes earlier instead of making the shake at night, and get up 3 minutes earlier and make the shake in the morning? I wouldn't want to drink something that's been sitting out all night but hey, to each his own.

yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000) yaz_rulz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thegymbum View Post
    lol, seriously? why don't you just go to bed 3 minutes earlier instead of making the shake at night, and get up 3 minutes earlier and make the shake in the morning? I wouldn't want to drink something that's been sitting out all night but hey, to each his own.
    This! I think whey starts smelling if you keep it after mixing for long..
    AMC

The only real natty bodybuilder that I know for sure is me! :)

TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TrailRated6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It fits my macros bro

u mad?

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    trolololololol

Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kahldris is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Use your protein shake to hit your macros whenever you need to throughout the day, as long as you hit your macros over the course of the day its not going to make a difference.

What part about having 600 calories in you after you wake up being a positive thing don't you understand?

What part about having 600 calories in you after you wake up being a positive thing don't you understand?
    Are you saying your prior post (#7) was a serious post and not just a sarcastic attempt at humor?

You're above me.

Did I make your day?

u mad?

BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000) BBqChicken1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rellizate View Post
    No adverse effects as long as your shake meets your macros no.. Because in the morning you've just come out of a 8hour+ fast so your body will want some protein fast to prevent catabolism. Also post workout because you've just damaged the muscle fibres during your training so you'll want some fast absorbing protein to go and replace all those microtears you've created..
    Catabolism takes longer than 8 hours, it is estimated to be around 48-72h of fasting. Or could you post any relevant studies that say otherwise?

Nope.

Originally Posted by Kahldris View Post
    trolololololol
    Yesterday I've read something better. A guy was going to do Intermittent Fasting like diet, and he said he will do 'cutting for 16h, bulking for 8h'.

Having 600 calories in the morning or late at night would make no difference in terms of body composition. U mad?

DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanyPell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I still don't fully get it when people say this.

If I'm able to get my 3500 calories in one sitting, it will be fine then? As good as spread throughout the day with 3-7 meals?

Or if I eat my 3500 calories in 3 hours, is it as good as if it's again spread over the day?

Of course I pretty much doubt it, a sort of "timing" comes into place, naturally.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    ^ Ugh, no.

OP: You can consume a protein shake whenever your want to or not at all. It's total daily energy intake and micro/macronutrient sufficiency that govern the outcome of your diet.
    Last edited by DanyPell; 08-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DanyPell View Post
    I still don't fully get it when people say this.

If I'm able to get my 3500 calories in one sitting, it will be fine then? As good as spread throughout the day with 3-7 meals?

Or if I eat my 3500 calories in 3 hours, is it as good as if it's again spread over the day?
    Meal timing should reflect individual appetite, energy levels and how it makes you feel, as far as the direct results on body composition, there is not enough data to determine what is optimal yet even in the field of sports nutrition as far as muscle gains go, however there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference as far as meal timing goes that the difference is meaningful enough to measure currently, so it isn't particularly meaningful. Some people here get great success on 10 meals a day, others only 2 meals eaten just a few hours apart. It isn't anywhere near as important as overall intake.

nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50) nfassben will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP, 2 things: If you want to lose fat, eat less calories than maintenance, if you want to gain weight, eat more than maintenance. Hit your macros, read the stickies.

Also, no offense, and maybe its a bad picture, but looking at your avatar pic I don't think you are anywhere near 8% body fat.

starinthesky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As long as I am calorific deficit overall but positive in the protein macro (ie more than 1.8g per kg of weight) ... will I be able to build muscle and lose fat at the same time?