Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

wrestling vs. bodybuilding

would it make sense do follow a bodybuilding routine for wrestling since you want to be all-around strong. im really not sure how a wrestler trains so i was j/w what you guys do to be conditioned and strong in between seasons
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

Im a wrestler, not a bodybuilder.

Dont make fun of me for being 130, make fun of me for being short

Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wrestlers train for conditioning and strength without trying to gain weight and size.

Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Pakman52 View Post
    Wrestlers train for conditioning and strength without trying to gain weight and size.
    That.
    You want a good strength to size ratio.
    .:MiscMarioBrahs:.
    S&P

stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50) stnicka will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ya for wrestling all you want is full body conditioning and endurance

past that technique is all that matters
    i rep back if you do

Festival Director: [translating] That's an endangered species at most. What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?
    Steve Zissou: Revenge.

Steve Zissou: Son of a bitch, I'm sick of these dolphins.

= Anxiety Crew =
    ~Stylin On U Crew~
    **The Irish KRUW**

Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50) Normot will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Err, you want to get strong. Getting strong doesn't mean bodybuilding though.

Personal Trainer lilmanthatcould's Avatar
    lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is an old philosophy out there that is basically states

" To build wrestling muscle you need do only one simple thing..........wrestle "

Basically through wrestling you will build and develop the muscles necessary for the sport. All those double legs you hit? they are all building strength in the muscles you will use for double legs

Kill two birds with one stone and improve your wrestling strength and technique at the same time.

Other then that though, ive always had limited success with actually weightlifting , sure it can get you strong but there is a difference between weightlifting strength and functional strength. Ive always been a strong guy and can out muscle most... but there is that occasional guy that doesn't look strong at all that can straight bend me into a pretzel and its cause they have functional strength, and that can sometimes be hard to build in a conventional gym

I've recently found more success in doing more body weight exercises and high intensity circuit training as these also help improve my muscle endurance more then doing 5-10reps on bench press would

watch this vid of the training montage in Rocky 4 ( yes I know its a movie but it helps my point )

Compare Rocky vs Drago

Drago is in the gym doing a bunch of weight lifting ( which will make you strong )

But Rocky is doing a bunch of things that require functional strength , and I believe those exercises translate better to a sport that requires full body strength and and muscular endurance

If you are going to do weight lifting though be sure to get your olympic lifts in and to work you supporting muscle groups. Keep reps around 20 , you may not see your lifts go up but it will help endurance wise in wrestling
    Last edited by lilmanthatcould; 12-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.

JTL21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i wouldnt listen to most of these replys....look at any college wrestler, they are absolutely jacked...I would say work on core strength and leg streghth the most...you need to have good endurance and streghth but weigh as little as possible...Once the season is over I would do a three month powerlifting program, then switch to an endurace program for the next 3 months...make sure to get your protein intake up so you benifit from your lifting

LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) LILpainLILgain is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    sorry let me rephrase. do a bodybuilding split (arm, chest, shoulder/trap, back, leg) but without the isolations and less rep for less size
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LILpainLILgain View Post
    sorry let me rephrase. do a bodybuilding split (arm, chest, shoulder/trap, back, leg) but without the isolations and less rep for less size
    The purpose of bodybuilding is to increase muscle mass without emphasis on actual strength.

In wrestling, your goal is to increase strength without increasing size.

Surely you can see how these two goals are completely contradictory?

You want good, heavy compound lifts in low rep ranges. Cleans, squats, weighted dips, pull-ups, rows, bench, etc.
    PR's:
    Bench: 300 lbs
    Back Squat: 380 lbs
    Clean and Jerk: 130 kg (286 lbs)
    Snatch: 100 kg (220 lbs)
    Deadlift: 5 x 345 lbs

-iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -iLift- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    An athlete should never do a BBing split, period.

You shouldn't be worrying about what you should do in between seasons when this seasons has barely started.

ok so if a bb split wont work can one of you wrestlers post your routine
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wrestling work out - wrestling practice then sleep
    Wrestling diet - starvation

Originally Posted by paulpker121 View Post
    ive gained weight during wrestling season...
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BostonKnight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Get in touch with a college and ask them for a lifting routine. You arent a bodybuilder your a wrestler.

I e-mailed a member of team USA and former Iowa State wrestler/ NCAA Champion (TP1) and he gave me the ISU off season weight lifting routine and a endurance workout from the Olympic Center.
    189, 215

ALL IN, ALL THE TIME.

I win for the love of myself succeeding and for the people around me who have helped me to be where I am in that moment, where all eyes are looking to me. I know I won't let anyone else and more importantly Myself down.

Originally Posted by BostonKnight View Post
    Get in touch with a college and ask them for a lifting routine. You arent a bodybuilder your a wrestler.

I e-mailed a member of team USA and former Iowa State wrestler/ NCAA Champion (TP1) and he gave me the ISU off season weight lifting routine and a endurance workout from the Olympic Center.
    wow thats a good idea. thanks for the help. why couldnt you be this helpful on my other thread
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 56kninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    would it make sense do follow a bodybuilding routine for wrestling since you want to be all-around strong. im really not sure how a wrestler trains so i was j/w what you guys do to be conditioned and strong in between seasons
    Had tons of friends that were wrestlers in high school.. I think they were required to weight train in the school gym at least twice a week.

paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000) paulpker121 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BostonKnight View Post

LOL that's awesome, Iowa State and wrestling is win.

Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000) Gyle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by paulpker121 View Post
    haha pretty much sums it up, lift like 3 days a week if you have any energy just for some tone. Unless you don't have to cut weight, then you can bodybuild during wrestling

Originally Posted by 56kninja View Post
    Had tons of friends that were wrestlers in high school.. I think they were required to weight train in the school gym at least twice a week.
    our coach is a great wrestler and everything but he is really old fashioned. he doesnt know how to lift, he just makes us listen to the captain but he would have no problem with me doing my own thing since he doesnt really know a solid wrestling workout anyways. i lift 2-3 times a week in my strength and conditoning class and lift 2 times on my own. im still training like a bodybuilder tho and we workout in wrestling like once every week and a half
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    like some people above said.. find a college wrestler to give you some advice.

my strength & conditioning coach doesn't believe in "sport-specific" exercises because if you lift (not purely isolation exercises obviously, but compound/olympic lifts) and do sport-specific training such as practice/drilling, you should be fine. but yes, you can get stronger/quicker without gaining weight, you already know that type of lifting as olympic lifts such as cleans & push presses. and like stated above again, wrestling is so much legs/posterior chain & then pulling muscles.

but back to the topic.. no a BB routine wouldn't be optimal for a wrestler as opposed to a more compound exercise routine that incorporates plyometrics and olympic lifts.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Harloe View Post
    That.
    You want a good strength to size ratio.
    Yup ... non functional mass (hypertrophy) won't do much because you want to be pound for pound the strongest you can be at the top of the class or at your most athletic weight.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

alright so has anyone ever emailed a college wrestler? if so can one of you post the routine he gave u
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goldengopher91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bench
    squat
    deadlift
    bent rows
    pull ups
    dips
    hang clean push press
    military press
    power cleans
    ?????

when you think about it you really dont need a strong chest for wrestling unless your bench pressing the guy when he is pinning you. but in general just do lifts that make you a better wrestler.

Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000) Harloe is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by goldengopher91 View Post
    Bench
    squat
    deadlift
    bent rows
    pull ups
    dips
    hang clean push press
    military press
    power cleans
    ?????

when you think about it you really dont need a strong chest for wrestling unless your bench pressing the guy when he is pinning you. but in general just do lifts that make you a better wrestler.
    That would get you pinned, unless you benched him with one shoulder up lol.
    .:MiscMarioBrahs:.
    S&P

HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HydroStorm is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    alright so has anyone ever emailed a college wrestler? if so can one of you post the routine he gave u
    i wrestle in college and here's basically a sample..

Warm up:
    With 2 10 lb plates in each hand..
    high pulls
    squat + push press
    bent over rows
    SLDL
    squat jumps
    plank for 30 seconds
    repeat once

Lift:
    day 1
    hang cleans 3x5
    inverted situps 3x12-20

weighted pullups/chinups 3x8
    front box squat 3x8

alternating db/kb shoulder press 2x8
    kb single leg DL 2x8
    wrist roller 2x
    YMLT - a rotator cuff exercise where you just hold a light plate while laying on your stomach on a bench- you form a Y with your arms (arms straight) and raise it as high as possible, then with other variations to target different parts of the deltoid.

day 2
    push press or single arm db snatch 3x5
    reverse situps 3x12-20

bench press 3x8
    hex bar DL 3x5

kb rows 3x8
    single leg step up 2x8
    grip work 2x
    __________________________________________________ ________

That's the gist of it. I usually cool down with a foam roller so i'm not as sore the next day, hopefully. it's a 2 day lifting routine. we do have percentages written on the board.. but if you're lifting at 97% that might as well be 100% right?

Originally Posted by HydroStorm View Post

Warm up:
    With 2 10 lb plates in each hand..
    high pulls
    squat + push press
    bent over rows
    SLDL
    squat jumps
    plank for 30 seconds
    repeat once

Lift:
    day 1
    hang cleans 3x5
    inverted situps 3x12-20

weighted pullups/chinups 3x8
    front box squat 3x8

alternating db/kb shoulder press 2x8
    kb single leg DL 2x8
    wrist roller 2x
    YMLT - a rotator cuff exercise where you just hold a light plate while laying on your stomach on a bench- you form a Y with your arms (arms straight) and raise it as high as possible, then with other variations to target different parts of the deltoid.

day 2
    push press or single arm db snatch 3x5
    reverse situps 3x12-20

bench press 3x8
    hex bar DL 3x5

kb rows 3x8
    single leg step up 2x8
    grip work 2x
    __________________________________________________ ________

That's the gist of it. I usually cool down with a foam roller so i'm not as sore the next day, hopefully. it's a 2 day lifting routine. we do have percentages written on the board.. but if you're lifting at 97% that might as well be 100% right?
    but this way i can only lift like 3 days a week
    180 Bench
    290 Squat
    300 Deadlift
    160 Clean

Personal Trainer lilmanthatcould's Avatar
    lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by HydroStorm View Post
    Where you wrestle at brah?

but this way i can only lift like 3 days a week
    you only need to lift 2-3 days in-season

Originally Posted by lilmanthatcould View Post
    Where you wrestle at brah?
    drexel, you?

ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10) ALLNECK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i knew a lot of wrestlers in school. they were beast, but not bodybuilders.