Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500)

How do you increase my Push up reps?

how would someone gain endurance and strength specifically for reaching higher reps in push ups ?

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lots of reps over time, but never to failure in any set.

To figure out where you are now, do a max set to failure (weekly "tests" are the only time you go that far). Also note the point where you start getting tired and slowing down - that is the number you should do on a regular basis. Randomly throughout the day, on commercial breaks watching for favorite TV show, every 15 minutes while surfing the web, whatever.

Then each week or two, check your progress and adjust accordingly.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i am presently trying to do the same. about a year ago, i could bang out maybe 90 or a bit less....then came shoulder surgery, and i lost interest, and started coming back about 2 weeks ago. at that time, i entered into a bet with a kid that i teach, that by xmas i could do more pushups than him. and then he got down and cranked out 130! so i am training to at least get around that number so as to not embarass myself.

i am trying perfect pushups. i've been playing around with weights my whole life and have never find a better gadget. give it a try.

2 weeks ago i could do 15 or them. 3 days ago i did 45, and probably could have gotten another 5. my goal is to go as agressively on them for awhile before i even test myself at regular pushups...the perfect pushups are the best tricep exercise i've seen in awhile, and i find all the auxillary muscles being developed...which will help me for my regular pushup max.

i figure in about a month i should be in the area of 70 perfect pushups...and that should equate to 100-110 regular pushups.

good luck.

Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500) Majjb is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by nutsy54 View Post
    Lots of reps over time, but never to failure in any set.

To figure out where you are now, do a max set to failure (weekly "tests" are the only time you go that far). Also note the point where you start getting tired and slowing down - that is the number you should do on a regular basis. Randomly throughout the day, on commercial breaks watching for favorite TV show, every 15 minutes while surfing the web, whatever.

Then each week or two, check your progress and adjust accordingly.
    yeah im trying to get a high push up rep to get to armed forces standard for the marines or navy and to build endurance...by any chance do you know how to gain running endurance ?

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How about trying to simply perform more pushups? Like any other motor skill, the more often you practise the faster you will learn. Running endurance is the same, if you wan't to run for longer then you should be attempting to run for longer, and you should be attempting it as often as possible.

[QUOTE=boathead;233747561]i am presently trying to do the same. about a year ago, i could bang out maybe 90 or a bit less....then came shoulder surgery, and i lost interest, and started coming back about 2 weeks ago. at that time, i entered into a bet with a kid that i teach, that by xmas i could do more pushups than him. and then he got down and cranked out 130! so i am training to at least get around that number so as to not embarass myself.

i am trying perfect pushups. i've been playing around with weights my whole life and have never find a better gadget. give it a try.

2 weeks ago i could do 15 or them. 3 days ago i did 45, and probably could have gotten another 5. my goal is to go as agressively on them for awhile before i even test myself at regular pushups...the perfect pushups are the best tricep exercise i've seen in awhile, and i find all the auxillary muscles being developed...which will help me for my regular pushup max.

i figure in about a month i should be in the area of 70 perfect pushups...and that should equate to 100-110 regular pushups.

good luck.[/

wow thats alot of push ups :O im not sure how many i can do but i can do 52 in a minute so im trying to increase that now for armed forces standard thanx alot

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Majjb View Post
    yeah im trying to get a high push up rep to get to armed forces standard for the marines or navy and to build endurance...by any chance do you know how to gain running endurance ?
    By running. . .

A little more serious: Interval Training is one of the best ways. For example, on a regular oval track, sprint the straight sections, then walk the curves. Repeat. Add another lap every week or two or whatever you can handle.

If you don't have a track, any easily measured standard will do. You can use light poles, a number of houses along your street, even just a stopwatch timer for fixed intervals.

N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    By running. . .

A little more serious: Interval Training is one of the best ways. For example, on a regular oval track, sprint the straight sections, then walk the curves. Repeat. Add another lap every week or two or whatever you can handle.

If you don't have a track, any easily measured standard will do. You can use light poles, a number of houses along your street, even just a stopwatch timer for fixed intervals.

From one crusty sailor to another, this is true! You have to run run run and also train your pushups with stuff like dive bombers, pullups, situps, people say situps? Yes situps. Pushups are a core exercise and because of this it helps dramatically when everything from your chest, to your abs, to your lower back are STRONG. Your like a bridge, youve got to have a strong foundation while performing your pushups right? Also, another great exercise involves you sitting in the lean and rest, but instead of using your hands, your resting on your forearms. It requires you to tighten the entire core for maximum stability. These routines shot my pushup count thru the roof from where it was. I can do 60 perfect pushups, not bad for an ******* with orangutan arms ha! Keep training your whole body man, pushups need to be worked almost everyday!

this forum is brilliant thanx to all the guys who are helping me get stronger and bigger

this forum is brilliant thanx to all the guys who are helping me get stronger and bigger
    And don't just do pushups - At least balance out with pullups, if not a full-body weight routine.

yeah thanx for the advice ive got pull ups on my back workout now

will 10x10 pull ups build strength and endurance ?

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    And don't just do pushups - At least balance out with pullups, if not a full-body weight routine.
    my weird routine which needs help!

Six months ago I could do 2 pull ups now I do 10 (very hard)
    then I pop down (i say this because I am so short I lillterally pop on the ground)

do 25 pushups
    then fenagle my way up again for maybe 6 is all I can push out
    pop down probably 15 pushups
    again 5 or 2 pull ups is all I can do
    try as hard in my last set for at least 10-12 pushups then I'm done.

I really want to change the sporadic crap and work my upper body power more equally.

N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10) N.S.T.C.DAVE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ToraAdams View Post
    my weird routine which needs help!

Six months ago I could do 2 pull ups now I do 10 (very hard)
    then I pop down (i say this because I am so short I lillterally pop on the ground)

do 25 pushups
    then fenagle my way up again for maybe 6 is all I can push out
    pop down probably 15 pushups
    again 5 or 2 pull ups is all I can do
    try as hard in my last set for at least 10-12 pushups then I'm done.

I really want to change the sporadic crap and work my upper body power more equally.
    If you want to do that, try something like this

20 Pushups
    6 pullups
    20 situps
    50 flutter kicks
    10 dips

Repeat that 5-10 times, pretty soon youll be able to do 20 sets of that!

will 10x10 pull ups build strength and endurance ?
    I wouldnt stick with just a pullup program. Look at the short routine I posted below and your pullups WILL increase. Instead of doing regular pullups, use 2 towels, grasp them in your hands and do them that way. Or use 2 pieces of rope. These are much harder and work your grip alot while also hitting those lats.

ah cool thanx alot i saw the wrestler The Rock doing those and hes got big lats What kind of Pull ups work lats more

a) Wide Grip Palms Away
    or..
    b)Close Grip Palms Facing you

?

Dont think the positioning has anything to do with it. If you have them farther apart they will hit your outer back more

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ah cool thanx alot i saw the wrestler The Rock doing those and hes got big lats What kind of Pull ups work lats more

a) Wide Grip Palms Away
    or..
    b)Close Grip Palms Facing you

?
    close grip facing you hits your lower lats the best. arnold swore by them. but in any event, if you are talking about 10 sets, clearly you can spend a few sets on ALL the different grips. they all hit something a bit differently.

Originally Posted by N.S.T.C.DAVE View Post
    Dont think the positioning has anything to do with it. If you have them farther apart they will hit your outer back more
    rule of thumb: inner hits outter...outter hits inner. you have it backwards.

great thanx alot just what i need anybody know which kind of dips work triceps and whic hit chest: wider or narrower ?

Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    rule of thumb: inner hits outter...outter hits inner. you have it backwards.
    Uhhhhhhhhhh no, youre wrong my friend. The farther apart you have your hands the more it will hit your "lats" aka wings, whatever you wanna call them

well ill try them both ill do 5 sets of close and 5 sets of wide

anybody know which kind of dips work triceps and whic hit chest: wider or narrower ?

PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well ill try them both ill do 5 sets of close and 5 sets of wide

anybody know which kind of dips work triceps and whic hit chest: wider or narrower ?
    lwith a straight grip,leaning foward hits the lower outer chest more, while standing upright works the triceps the hardest

There he is PUMP the legend

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I just got back from the gym THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

instead of going at it so hard I slowed the whole thing down and was able to pump out 4 set of mostly 10's for pull ups

i also included weighted abs plus dips which I have been weak at. 6-10

slowed down my pushups and was able to pump out 3 sets of 20 every time.

I'm pretty proud. I'm going to be working on these every chance I can get until I hit 20

I do pull ups maybe 3x weekly but I'm going to up it more . Quesiton is it bad to do pull ups everytime you go to the gym?

what are flutters
    Last edited by ToraAdams; 10-18-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: i forgot something

flutters are when you lie down on your back and raise your legs slightly then kick your feet rapidly while keeping your legs straigtht