Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1277
    Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    Wow, how did I miss this? I find that I must stay in God's Word to keep my focus . . . how else do you know what to focus on (Php 4:8). It's kinda like the WWJD trend several years ago. Sadly, so many of those wearing those bracelets didn't know WHAT Jesus did, so how did they know what He WOULD do?
    Amen to that. I've had to reintroduce the words "authentic" and "genuine" to many members of my church.

Yes, and you're starting with a solid complex, too. I don't know if there would be any reason to keep the volume of the pull-ups approximately equal to the other exercises, but you might consider trying 6 pull-ups immediately followed by 6 negative pull-ups (use a chair/stool to get above the bar and slowly lower yourself down then repeat) . . . unless you think that would be too much for your CNS(?).
    Much appreciated. I don't think it would be too much for my CNS to add the negatives. Not a bad idea. I pretty much did half the number of pull-ups as the other exercises because I haven't done twelve pull-ups since I got out of the Corps! It's worth trying out.
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That workout looked rough man. Did you get dizzy running in a 10 yard circle?

Cani request more bloopers in the video?
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Had to stay home with a kid who has an eye that is a little pink this morning, so instead of going to church I will post in your journal this fine Sunday morning .

After watching the vid, I have three observations:

1. The Oly lifts impress me every time I see you do them. You and I have talked about it before, but man... what I wouldn't give for your lower back strength.

2. Your choice of training music is very similar to mine. Great minds and all...

3. Great job on the 325 dead lift. As easy as that went up, you obviously have quite a bit more in you.

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    That workout looked rough man. Did you get dizzy running in a 10 yard circle?
    Cani request more bloopers in the video?
    Not too dizzy... just a brief break from the Swings.
    As for the bloopers... I'm sure that I'll continue to fail some lifts and all the failures get put up.

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Had to stay home with a kid who has an eye that is a little pink this morning, so instead of going to church I will post in your journal this fine Sunday morning .

After watching the vid, I have three observations:

1. The Oly lifts impress me every time I see you do them. You and I have talked about it before, but man... what I wouldn't give for your lower back strength.
    Thanks so much!

2. Your choice of training music is very similar to mine. Great minds and all...
    Classic Rock FTW!

3. Great job on the 325 dead lift. As easy as that went up, you obviously have quite a bit more in you.
    Thanks again. The Deadlift has really come along. I never did them before last April, when I started doing them as part of my return to strength training. I've always had some back concerns, but so far, so good!
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Very well done of late brother. Great job, all around. Awesome work with teh deadz too and, yep, you got far more in the tank brother. Onwards and upwards.

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry it's been a few days since I stopped by, John. See by your WEEK…. IN…. REVIEW!!!! vid that you're really getting after it. Personally ignored the bad & ugly cause if it had been me at even 1/2 those weights I'd failed and probably been on my back pinned under the bar.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    Very well done of late brother. Great job, all around. Awesome work with teh deadz too and, yep, you got far more in the tank brother. Onwards and upwards.
    Ooh Rah! Thanks my brother!

Originally Posted by HoustonTXMuscle View Post
    Sorry it's been a few days since I stopped by, John. See by your WEEK…. IN…. REVIEW!!!! vid that you're really getting after it. Personally ignored the bad & ugly cause if it had been me at even 1/2 those weights I'd failed and probably been on my back pinned under the bar.
    Thanks Bob! I definitely am trying to get after it, as you said! I just need to keep on keeping on, especially through the set-backs and/or the let downs!

Speaking of let-downs... posting today's training in a minute...

[Jesus] took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” And he looked up and said, “I see men, but they look like trees walking.” Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored and he saw everything clearly! (Mark 8:23-25 ESV)

I’m posting late, but I hope that everyone is doing great! And by now, those who are interested have already seen my highlight video. Interestingly enough, I was chastised about the video by a fellow poster. She was one of the ones who first helped me out with my Olympic lifts, so she’s seen them from the beginning. After I posted the vid, she pointed out that I have improved considerably in the lifts and I need to quit being so hard on myself.

I struck me that the difference between my comments and hers revolved around a question of perception. I was focused on where I want to be. She was pointing out where I had come from. And while I cannot and should not let go of my vision of where I want to end up, it would be wrong of me to discount the improvements from my earlier lifts. And in thinking about this, I felt led to the above passage.

This is one of the strangest healings in the Bible, if only because we read it and think: why didn’t Jesus heal the man completely the first time? There are many thoughts by many wise men on the reasoning behind it, but today this passage spoke to me in an unusual way. If you think about it, had Jesus “only” healed the man’s vision enough so that people looked like walking trees, then the man would still have benefited. Better to see poorly than to see nothing at all. But Jesus, after demonstrating that the man had vision, then clarified that vision so that he saw perfectly. The man’s vision wasn’t perfect, but it was improved and he was in a better state than at the start. The joy is that Jesus wasn’t done with him yet, and would bring further healing! It is the same way in our Christian walks. None of us is flawless, and all too often we don’t have clear spiritual vision. But, if we are in Christ, we at least have some spiritual vision rather than the blindness of those caught in sin. And moreover… Christ isn’t finished with us! Abide with him, and just wait… he will continue to heal your vision until you can see clearly!

Today was not the best start to the week I could have had. Things started out fine, but not exceptional. And I quickly felt that something was “off” with my back. It wasn’t injured, and I didn’t pull a muscle or anything like that. Quite frankly, I can’t put my finger on what was going on, just a feeling that something was not entirely right. Oh, and the day that my back has this feeling: Squat day! Oh boy.

April 30, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x4
    95x1x2
    105x1
    115x1
    125x1
    130x1
    135x1
    140xPS
    I don’t think I felt “explosive” at any point in today’s training, but I did feel reasonably strong and my technique generally seemed on point for these. I caught the 130 a shade higher than I would have liked, and really overpulled the 140 into a Power Snatch, but other than that I feel these were pretty solid.

Clean and Jerk
    Bar x4
    135x1x2
    155x1
    165x1
    170x1
    Technically, these went fine today. My Jerk at 165 was a bit sloppy, but nothing terribly bad. However, while doing these is where my back started feeling strange. Since I still had Squats coming up, I called an early end to the Clean & Jerk today.

Squats-ATG
    155x3 (Warm-up Set)
    195x3
    225x3 [PAW: 220x3]
    250x3
    These were very disappointing today. Technically, all that was required of me was to hit 250x3. That said, I really wanted to hit my planned progress of an additional 270x2 and 280x1. Unfortunately that just wasn’t going to happen. My back didn’t go out on me or anything like that, but I felt weak and didn’t want to risk putting myself in a position where the back would become a problem and injury might occur.
    Technically, I should have been on Deload this week anyway, and I know that not every training session is going to be a good one, but I still feel like I wimped out. But I’m trying to tell myself that discretion is the better part of valor and hoping that I’m just not trying to excuse a lack of effort.

Snatch-Grip Deadlift
    195x3x5
    A wiser man than me might have thought that if the back was feeling odd, these should be called off. I’m not that wise. Luckily, these went fine despite whatever was going on with my back. I’ll move the weight up next week by five pounds. Oh yeah, I also supersetted these with…

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    145x5x4
    No weird back issues doing these, but with this light weight I wouldn’t have expected any anyway.

Now normally, I would be signing off for the day at this point. However, as I mentioned on Saturday, I’m starting up some conditioning work. I don’t trust my ability to recover from doing conditioning on my off-days. I just feel that if I lift on MWF and do conditioning on TTS, then my WF training will be affected. Sooooooooo….. I thought maybe I will keep TTSS as rest days, and instead do:

PM Conditioning!

I pretty much followed the same pattern as Saturday, thought will a little more work added here and there.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12
    As much as I liked Payton’s suggestion about adding in six negative Pull-ups to bring those up to the same number as the other bodyweight work, I figured I’ll add those in next week after I’ve gotten a little more used to this!

Kettlebell Swings
    Training Time: 12 Minutes
    Swings x40 / 4 Loops (x3)
    Swings x30 / 3 Loops (x4)
    Swings x20 /2 Loops (x Remaining Time [which honestly was not that much, maybe one round?])
    I tried to increase the number of larger sets and reduce the number of small ones. When I first started thinking about KB, I honestly considered starting out with a 24 kg rather than the 16 kg/35 lb. I’m glad that I was humble enough to start with the smaller of the two. Call me smoked!

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

KB Clean & Press
    Not Timed
    C&P x(1+2+3)x2
    These were done with each arm. No actual rest between stages of the ladders, but rather that’s when I switched arms. So one C&P with the left, then one with the right. Two C&P with the left, then two with the right. Etc. I did briefly rest between ladders. My technique is improving.

KB Snatch
    Not Timed
    Snatch x(1+2+3)x2
    Done the same way as the C&P. With one exceptionally poor pull, my technique on these wasn’t half bad.

KB Turkish Get-ups
    Training Time: 5 minutes
    KBx3 (x3)
    KBx1 (x Remaining Time, again, there wasn’t a lot of time remaining…)
    No rest on these, but as with the C&P after the set of three with the left, then a set of three with the right. That’s one KBx3. Repeated that three times, then went to alternating arms one each Get-up.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

Heart-rate up, breathing labored, body screaming, mission accomplished. Now the day is done!

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Were you posting late or getting this one in early? Lots of work. Good job. It sounds like you and I are having similar struggles, looking ahead at what we feel should be and in the process failing to see what has been. You have come a long way. Keep up the great work, AND GET SOME SLEEP.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post
    None of us is flawless, and all too often we don’t have clear spiritual vision. But, if we are in Christ, we at least have some spiritual vision rather than the blindness of those caught in sin.
    John, I came to Christ late in life. While I had been to a few church services before that, I used to bristle when the sermons mentioned sin, because I knew (thought!) that I was a "good person." After trusting Christ and reading His Word, I now know that I am what John Newton called a "wretch." Paul's words in Romans 7 are somewhat of a comfort to me to know that the great apostle Paul had struggles, too. I suppose these are struggles that we'll keep with us until we draw our last breath here on earth.

Awesome workout. This was no 20 minute in/out, either!

And, of course, I'm loving the complexes.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These were very disappointing today. Technically, all that was required of me was to hit 250x3. That said, I really wanted to hit my planned progress of an additional 270x2 and 280x1. Unfortunately that just wasn’t going to happen. My back didn’t go out on me or anything like that, but I felt weak and didn’t want to risk putting myself in a position where the back would become a problem and injury might occur.
    Is just a bump in the road on the journey of a thousand miles.

Technically, I should have been on Deload this week anyway, and I know that not every training session is going to be a good one, but I still feel like I wimped out. But I’m trying to tell myself that discretion is the better part of valor and hoping that I’m just not trying to excuse a lack of effort.
    Why did you not deload as scheduled? Just curious. Deloads are lots of fun for us because we get to post pink dumbbells in your journal.

Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome, strong work today brother (well done with those squats too) and excellent devotional. In fact, this devotional was spot-on with my own journal this evening and, as He knew, was something I needed to read right now.

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Were you posting late or getting this one in early? Lots of work. Good job. It sounds like you and I are having similar struggles, looking ahead at what we feel should be and in the process failing to see what has been. You have come a long way. Keep up the great work, AND GET SOME SLEEP.
    Unfortunately, that was posting late! Yesterday was one of those days. But I noticed the parallels with your own Squat frustrations as well. Looks like we are in this together! And yes... tonight's goal is to get some good sleep!

John, I came to Christ late in life. While I had been to a few church services before that, I used to bristle when the sermons mentioned sin, because I knew (thought!) that I was a "good person." After trusting Christ and reading His Word, I now know that I am what John Newton called a "wretch." Paul's words in Romans 7 are somewhat of a comfort to me to know that the great apostle Paul had struggles, too. I suppose these are struggles that we'll keep with us until we draw our last breath here on earth.

Awesome workout. This was no 20 minute in/out, either!

And, of course, I'm loving the complexes.
    Good word there Payton! And thanks for the props. The complexes are nice active recovery work. If my endurance adapts even a little this week, then adding the negative pull-ups next week should be no problem.

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Is just a bump in the road on the journey of a thousand miles.

Why did you not deload as scheduled? Just curious. Deloads are lots of fun for us because we get to post pink dumbbells in your journal.

LOL... well, it wasn't for fear of pink dumbbells! I decided not to deload since I didn't feel like my nervous system (or muscular for that point) really needed it. Maybe I was wrong based on Monday's performance. We'll see how things go tomorrow. Worst case scenario and I'll simply do the 3x3 without any of the added singles or progressions and use that as a "working deload."

Awesome, strong work today brother (well done with those squats too) and excellent devotional. In fact, this devotional was spot-on with my own journal this evening and, as He knew, was something I needed to read right now.
    Thank you brother. It is always cool when He works that way, isn't it?

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations! (Psalm 67:1-2 ESV)

There have been an number of threads that have popped up at one time or another here on bb.com that basically talked about motivation. Usually, these boil down to whether our motivation for lifting comes internally (desire, personal goals, etc.) or externally (acclimation, sex appeal, etc.). Now, I usually don’t get involved in these threads, but I do have to say this: I think that this is a false division – or at least, in my opinion, it should be!

This is what I mean. Obviously, we should have and do need that inner drive to succeed. But I feel that there should be some purpose outside of ourselves to do what we do. A very simple example is family. Whether our family directly supports our efforts or not, I know that if I exercise, I am healthier. If I am healthier, I will likely live longer and can do more with my kids than otherwise. Yes, I have an inner drive… but I also want my personal drive to result in external benefits beyond myself.

In many ways, this is what the Psalmist is singing. He desires blessing, and which of us doesn’t? But what makes the song worth singing is that he doesn’t desire blessing for himself alone. His desire is that he can use the blessings that God gives in order to demonstrate the Glory of God to all of the earth. He desires something personal, but he never forgets the rest of the world. Neither should we.

Today’s training… ugh. The word of the day is “Meh.”
    It seems that all three of the kids are getting their spring allergies. Now Abby and Elijah have learned to handle their allergies with no real problem. Unfortunately, it looks like Gabe is also going to have them and he was up – screaming – every 45 minutes to an hour last night. It definitely precluded any quality sleep.

So… sleepless and groggy, I still made my way into Ye Olde Garage this morning. Perhaps I should have taken the day off, but I figured I could still get in there and move some iron. As it turns out, I probably should have taken the day off after all.

May 2, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x4
    95x1x2
    115x1x2
    135x1x2
    140xFx2
    Forget TNT… I didn’t even qualify as a cap-gun today. These went surprisingly well considering how I felt. The first 135 was pretty ugly, but I think still passable. The 140s both failed due to a complete lack of pull-under.

Clean and Jerk
    Bar x4
    135x1x2
    155x1x2
    175xFx2
    A complete waste of time. Not only was I tired physically, I was completely unfocused mentally. The two attempts at 175 were glorified dynamic-effort deadlifts more than actual legitimate attempts. (Sigh.) Well, with no mental presence, time to move on…

Bench Press
    135x3 (Warm-up Set)
    185x3 [PAW: 175x3]
    200x3
    225x3
    245x2
    The hoped progression was to do one additional single at 255, but I really had to grind out the second rep at 245. I felt pretty tapped out.

Behind-Neck Snatch-Grip Press
    105x5x3
    Eh. These weren’t bad, but nothing spectacular. Took the bar to the base of the skull as usual. We’ll maintain this weight again next week.

And because I’m either a fool or a glutton for punishment, the BNSGP was supersetted with…

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    145x5x3
    Nothing to report on these; they were done as required.

So there it is. Olympic training lacked focus; strength training lacked strength. Hopefully I’ve had enough to eat and enough rest today to get me through tonight’s PM Conditioning…

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations! (Psalm 67:1-2 ESV)
    This is not one that I readily know, but as I study it, I see it as a complement to Ps 33:12.

Bench Press
    225x3
    245x2
    You stud Lookin' good, John.

This is not one that I readily know, but as I study it, I see it as a complement to Ps 33:12.
    Very good correlation Payton; I hadn't consciously connected them, though it does indeed fit. Ironically enough, I am also using Ps. 33:12 tomorrow for our county National Day of Prayer service!

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Oly force is strong with this one.

Mirin the depth of your squats on both lifts. Are you working with Mezzie?
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    The Oly force is strong with this one.

Mirin the depth of your squats on both lifts. Are you working with Mezzie?
    Yes and no. The basic program set-up is my own, but Mezzie has been giving me coaching advice and critique. If I do something smart, it's usually Mezzie's fault. Something stupid is all my own.

PM Conditioning!

Tonight was a somewhat pleasant surprise. I made it through all the planned work despite last night’s lack of sleep and this morning’s strength training.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

Kettlebell Swings
    Swings x40 / 4 Loops (x5)
    Swings x37
    Doing the math, I lost some volume on these. Still… I kept all of the sets at 40 until time ran out, so I don’t think I can complain too terribly much.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

KB Clean & Press
    Not Timed
    C&P x(1+2+3)x3
    Did these Ladders just as I have been, but added a set. Not bad, not bad at all…

KB Snatch
    Not Timed
    Snatch x(1+2+3)x3
    Again, did these as I have been but with an additional set. Except for one rep where the KB hit the low basement ceiling, these all went very well.

KB Turkish Get-ups
    KBx3 each Arm (x3)
    KBx1 each Arm
    These ended up being about the same as Monday, with maybe one or two less sets of one. I should have done better, but all things considered I’ll take it.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

The good news (aside from the fact that I didn’t have to cut this short) is that I seem to be adapting to the workload and developing some added endurance. Which is, after all, the point!

John,

If you're just embarking on a conditioning program, you might want to start checking your resting heartrate. I find that to be a valid measure of my cardio fitness. Although it can fluctuate, I check it first thing in the morning (haven't done it in quite a while, though) . . . and when I mean "resting," I mean RESTING. Before I even get out of bed, I'll look at my alarm clock and count beats for one full minute. As your fitness level improves, your resting heartrate should drop.

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    PM Conditioning!

The good news (aside from the fact that I didn’t have to cut this short) is that I seem to be adapting to the workload and developing some added endurance. Which is, after all, the point!
    The workouts are looking good - solid benchin'; ^^^this was nice to read, too!
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

If you're just embarking on a conditioning program, you might want to start checking your resting heartrate.
    That's an idea. I hadn't really stressed about it since I'm not really tracking those numbers and am doing the conditioning more for the CV benefits and some weight-loss. That said, maybe I should track my conditioning numbers better. After all, the more benchmarks I can track the better I can see improvements...

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    The workouts are looking good - solid benchin'; ^^^this was nice to read, too!
    Thank you very much sir. I don't always pull it off, but I really am trying to keep proper perspective on things.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I hadn't really stressed about it since I'm not really tracking those numbers and am doing the conditioning more for the CV benefits and some weight-loss.
    Something else not to stress over is once you start taking your resting heart rate, don't expect it to slow down within the first couple of weeks of increasing your conditioning work. For some reason, it takes your body a while to adjust to it. That really bothered my during the first couple of months I increased my cardio.

Now my resting heart rate averages 56 BPM.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    PM Conditioning!

Tonight was a somewhat pleasant surprise. I made it through all the planned work despite last night’s lack of sleep and this morning’s strength training.

Bodyweight Complex

Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

Kettlebell Swings
    Swings x40 / 4 Loops (x5)
    Swings x37
    Doing the math, I lost some volume on these. Still… I kept all of the sets at 40 until time ran out, so I don’t think I can complain too terribly much.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

KB Clean & Press
    Not Timed
    C&P x(1+2+3)x3
    Did these Ladders just as I have been, but added a set. Not bad, not bad at all…

KB Snatch
    Not Timed
    Snatch x(1+2+3)x3
    Again, did these as I have been but with an additional set. Except for one rep where the KB hit the low basement ceiling, these all went very well.

KB Turkish Get-ups
    KBx3 each Arm (x3)
    KBx1 each Arm
    These ended up being about the same as Monday, with maybe one or two less sets of one. I should have done better, but all things considered I’ll take it.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

I would like to incorporate something similar to this into my program at least a day or 2 a week.
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

All my PRs are history HoustonTXMuscle's Avatar
    HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) HoustonTXMuscle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Incorporation of the PM Conditioning into your workouts looks good, John. Really can't add much to what Bo and Payton have already said except that over the last couple of years mine has dropped and currently stays around 53-55.
    Inactivity Kills!!!

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140991491 Age is NOT an acceptable excuse.

Played with dinosaurs as a child. Back then everyone was thin; it was a matter of out-running the raptors or being one of their meals.

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Something else not to stress over is once you start taking your resting heart rate, don't expect it to slow down within the first couple of weeks of increasing your conditioning work. For some reason, it takes your body a while to adjust to it. That really bothered my during the first couple of months I increased my cardio.
    Now my resting heart rate averages 56 BPM.
    Originally Posted by HoustonTXMuscle View Post
    Incorporation of the PM Conditioning into your workouts looks good, John. Really can't add much to what Bo and Payton have already said except that over the last couple of years mine has dropped and currently stays around 53-55.
    This is good stuff. With my family history of heart disease, it definitely won't hurt - that's for sure! I had a physical for life insurance this week and my BP averaged around 115/68 over three readings, so the conditioning is definitely helping already!

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    I would like to incorporate something similar to this into my program at least a day or 2 a week.
    Since you plan on switching to some more weight work and less running after tomorrow (good luck my friend!), I think you would enjoy it. It's conditioning/cardio, but it is not boring and it builds strength as a corollary to the primary purpose. I figure that's a good way to go.

And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost!” (Luke 19:9-10 ESV)

This has been an incredibly stressful week for me on a number of counts. The lack of focus I have had in Ye Olde Garage is only one part of an overall lack of focus that I’ve been struggling with in every aspect of my life. But I do know this… if focus is lacking, it’s time to simplify. So today, I want to share a video that I’ve always found very meaningful since I first saw it three or four years ago:

Simple, but all the more powerful because of it.

Speaking of power, I once again felt a distinct lack of it on Friday. Olympic lifts were universally bad. I made my minimum on the Deadlift, but not my goal pull. Front Squats were done, but they were uuuuuuggggly. (Sigh) Looks like I should have taken that deload this week after all.

May 4, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x4
    95x1x2
    115x1x2
    135xPS
    135xF
    The numbers speak for themselves. Power Snatched the first 135, then just junked the second. Even if I didn’t need to deload from the strength training (which I obviously do), I do need to take a brief break from the O-lifts. If you don’t believe me based on the Snatch, wait till you see my …

Clean and Jerk
    Bar x4
    135x1x2
    155xPC
    I pulled that Power Clean on 155 and knew that this was a futile effort. Moving on.

Deadlift
    185x3 (Warm-up Set)
    225x3
    255x3
    295x3 [PAW: 290x3]
    315x1
    The goal was to pull two at 315 and one at 335; however, my wife noticed that my lower back seemed inflamed. It felt fine, but I did promise her I’d take it easy in Ye Olde Garage, so I cut them out.

Front Squat
    145x3
    165x3
    185x3
    205x3
    215x3
    These were acceptable. A five pound increase from last week on the top set which was, by the way, ugly! I think that was more to general fatigue than lack of strength.

As before, I went ahead and supersetted the Fronts with…

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    145x5x4

That was the morning training. Later…

PM Conditioning!

I did ok on the conditioning, but I feel like I may have paced myself a bit too well. I just didn’t hit the volume on the timed portions that I would have liked.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

Kettlebell Swings
    Swings x40 / 4 Loops (x6)
    Swings x6-ish (Time Up)
    Slight increase in volume from Wednesday, but not as much as I would have liked. That said, since I can hit 40x6 in twelve minutes, I’ll probably try to hit 45x6 next time, then 50x6, etc.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

KB Clean & Press
    Not Timed
    C&P x(1+2+3)x4
    Added a set on the ladders. My technique seemed pretty good on most of these, though I caught the ‘bell a bit forward on one or two of them.

KB Snatch
    Not Timed
    Snatch x(1+2+3)x4
    Additional set here as well. No ceiling hits this time, but two came close.

KB Turkish Get-ups
    KBx4 each Arm
    KBx3 each Arm (x2)
    KBx1 each Arm (Time Up)
    I’m probably going to work these up to x4 each arm for three sets, then x5, etc.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

I was tired, but not as wasted as I have been. I’m taking that as a sign of improved endurance.

So the plan for next week:
    I’m going to continue to hit my conditioning work on MWF; I don’t feel that I can take a break from it yet. Too new to my routine and I both want and need to reinforce its continuation.

I’m going to hold off on the Olympic Lifts, probably all week. I just feel like I really need to reset/reboot. We’ll see though. If things are going smoothly, I may hit them on Friday. Definitely taking MW off though.

I’m going to skip Monday’s training as a one-day deload type thing and resume strength training on Wednesday. Also, while I progress on Wendler, I seem to progress both faster and better with other methods, so I’m going to switch to a 5432111 program on the big four lifts and see how that goes. I am optimistic, since it really isn’t that much removed from the modifications that I’ve put on 531 for my routine anyway.

So that’s the plan for the future. And, since it’s that time of the week, a brief look at the past…

Brother, truly great work and attention going on in here. Awesome job my friend.

Brother, truly great work and attention going on in here. Awesome job my friend.
    Thanks so much. I am trying to keep focus and progress to victory. Semper Fi, right?

Ok, time for a quick update...

Per my earlier posting, I took Monday off from the heavy lifting and the OL. That said, I just didn't feel right not doing anything, so in the morning I took the "non-training" time and went out to hit the bag in Ye Olde Garage. Mostly just boxing, but I did work in a few other upper body strikes - predominantly elbows - for fun. No kicks/knees/lower body attacks. It was fun.

Ye Olde Punching Bag
    Three Rounds of 5 minutes; 1 minute rest between Rounds.

And later on Monday:
    PM Conditioning

I just didn't feel like doing this on Monday, but forced myself anyway. Things went pretty well overall.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12
    I was supposed to add in six Negative Pull-ups to bring the Pull-up portion of the Complex to the same number as the other, but quite frankly I just forgot to do so. I still feel it was a nice complex.

Kettlebell Swings
    Swings x45 / 4 Loops (x5)
    Swings x45 / 1 Loop (Time Up)
    I feel pretty good about these. I hit the planned goal of six intervals of 45 Swings, even though I didn't get that final portion of the active recovery jog finished.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

KB Clean & Press
    Not Timed
    C&P x(1+2+3)x5
    Nice! Added one final set to bring it to five Ladders. From here, I'll progress to Ladders of 1+2+3+4.

KB Snatch
    Not Timed
    Snatch x(1+2+3)x5
    Same increase and plan as for the C&P. I'm feeling pretty good about this!

KB Turkish Get-ups
    KBx4 each Arm (x3)
    KBx1 Left Arm (Time Up)
    Mission accomplished with these as well.

Bodyweight Complex
    Prisoner Squats x12
    Pull-ups x6
    Leg Raises x12
    Push-ups x12

My Conditioning is proceeding nicely.

I will lift tomorrow (Wednesday), and may go ahead and add in the OLs. I'm feeling ready to hit the iron again! I will be following a new format for the Strength Training, and am interested in seeing how it goes as well.