Registered User iandawsonmackay's Avatar
    iandawsonmackay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When to add weight to a exercise?

what do you think about when to add weight to a workout?

Say you are working for three sets for ten reps. You want to get big muscles.

Should you be able to do ALL the reps in say 3x10 then up the weight OR do the first set and you can do all reps, up the weight and so on until you finish the sets or fail before your total reps (or a particular number e.g. you can 8 reps so you up the weight next time), so you may do 3x10, the 3x10 an then 3x6 but each time with a heavier weight then the guy who does 3x10 and keeps the weight the same?

I'm having an argument with someone. He goes for hytro and says I am not working out hard enough or challenging myself if I can do that and he only adds weight when all 30 are ok. I think I am right as I keep upping the weight to challenge myself and only stop adding weight when I can't lift the full reps or a range like 8-10 reps.

Which would you side more with?

Hope that waffle makes sense. Cheer!!

tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100)
    for example, the goal for your workout is 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Once you can complete all 4 sets within that 8-10 rep range, increase the weight by 3% the next workout. If you can nail that again, which you should if diet and supplementation is right on target, keep making consistent gains for the next 4-5 workouts, then it's time to change your program by varying width, degree of incline, completely different exercise, etc. just apply the kaizen principle, slow and steady progress leading to big gains in the long run!
    PICP Level I Strength and Conditioning Coach-Awaiting practical in march, any questions on program design, nutrition, supplementation don't hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by tjwessksu View Post
    for example, the goal for your workout is 4 sets of 8-10 repetitions. Once you can complete all 4 sets within that 8-10 rep range, increase the weight by 3% the next workout. If you can nail that again, which you should if diet and supplementation is right on target, keep making consistent gains for the next 4-5 workouts, then it's time to change your program by varying width, degree of incline, completely different exercise, etc. just apply the kaizen principle, slow and steady progress leading to big gains in the long run!
    Thanks man. I add weight till its a real challenge or I can't lift the required reps. My friend does it all with the same weight. I think I am doing it right with progressive overload as if I pick a weight and can do the full reps, then I should add weight even in that exercise range of sets to make it tougher for me. I don''t want to wait a full week simply to add a bit more weight. Surely its better to add 3% of weight or whatever on the next set to overload the muscles?

So for instance my first set will be the same weight as the 3rd set I finished at the last time, my next set will be the weight I could lift on the last set and then if I can I'l add weight for the next set and if possible the weight after that.

I see quicker advances in weight I can lift compared to my friend so doesn't that mean its ok?
    Last edited by iandawsonmackay; 01-26-2013 at 09:58 AM.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I should be able to add 3% every workout? ok thanks. BRB deadlifting 3000lbs.

Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    I should be able to add 3% every workout? ok thanks. BRB deadlifting 3000lbs.
    Now that's some beast mode lifting!

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by iandawsonmackay View Post
    Now that's some beast mode lifting!
    its all thanks to the 3% rule.

I find working in the 3-7 range for compounds and 8-15 for isolations works best for me. Find what works best for you.

tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100) tjwessksu is not very well liked. (-100)
    obviously you will experience the law of diminishing returns, if you read my post in its entirety i said to stick to the same workout for 6 workouts then change. You won't keep progressing which is why you vary your workouts. Where do you get your training advice from? Flex magazine?
    PICP Level I Strength and Conditioning Coach-Awaiting practical in march, any questions on program design, nutrition, supplementation don't hesitate to ask.

write out what supplements your taking, and you absolutely should gain strength every single workout, unless your doing super accumulation for a week lifting every single day, then backing off.

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You gotta find out what works best for you. For me, on bb lifts, I'll usually pick a weight I can do 3x8. Once I hit 3x9, I up the weight by 5 lbs. I may only hit something like 8, 8, 7, then work up to 3x9 again and up the weight by another 5 lbs. For stuff like db lifts that you have to up by 10 lbs. at a time, I start with a weight I can hit for about 3x8 but don't up the weight until I can his 3x10, at which point, I'll probably hit something like 8, 8, 7 then work up to 3x10 again. Deadlifts are different since the numbers are so high, I tend to move up in 10 lb. increments each week, starting with what I can do for 3x8 and not stopping until I reach the weight I can do for 3x5. At this point, I'll usually reset to my new 3x8 weight. Again, this will vary according to the individual, but you get the idea.

obviously you will experience the law of diminishing returns, if you read my post in its entirety i said to stick to the same workout for 6 workouts then change. You won't keep progressing which is why you vary your workouts. Where do you get your training advice from? Flex magazine?
    so switch my workout when im add 3% everytime? that is solid advice.

BTW I am pretty close to PMing you, Im just not ready to see results yet.

SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000) SexyBack1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Should you be able to do ALL the reps in say 3x10 then up the weight OR do the first set and you can do all reps, up the weight and so on until you finish the sets or fail before your total reps (or a particular number e.g. you can 8 reps so you up the weight next time), so you may do 3x10, the 3x10 an then 3x6 but each time with a heavier weight then the guy who does 3x10 and keeps the weight the same?

I'm having an argument with someone. He goes for hytro and says I am not working out hard enough or challenging myself if I can do that and he only adds weight when all 30 are ok. I think I am right as I keep upping the weight to challenge myself and only stop adding weight when I can't lift the full reps or a range like 8-10 reps.

Just widen ur range abit example 8-12 keep adding few reps everyworkout once u get to 12 add weight and start from 8 again / thread.
    MUST READ about back development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151735043

MUST READ about shoulders development : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151861353

Detoxify estrogen from your body and maybe your upper tricep will finally show. You're pretty argumentative from your first post in the thread. Troll on.
    Last edited by tjwessksu; 01-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    so switch my workout when im add 3% everytime? that is solid advice.
    You also didn't answer my question about supplements and where you get your workout advice from. And that first sentence doesn't make any sentence.

You also didn't answer my question about supplements and where you get your workout advice from. And that first sentence doesn't make any sentence.
    Im sorry, I didnt know you were talking to me. The only thing I take is protien. When did I say I take advice? What sentence are you having problems understanding? maybe I can help you.

Pretty dumb you don't take advice from someone that's had proven success, the whole "i do things this way because it worked for me", is what's keeping sites like this from moving forward. The whole point of this thread is for help, and I don't enjoy getting into internet pissing contests, so I'm done.

Pretty dumb you don't take advice from someone that's had proven success, the whole "i do things this way because it worked for me", is what's keeping sites like this from moving forward. The whole point of this thread is for help, and I don't enjoy getting into internet pissing contests, so I'm done.
    I do take advice from people who have had success, If you were hoping I was going to take advice from you then im sorry.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For me, it's when I reach a specified repetition target.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EML84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

You don't have to, and shouldn't, go toward failure on everything. If you've set yourself up for 3x10, do 3x10. And when it's no longer a challenge, add more load to the lift. It's not rocket science, really.

But don't shoot for a number, and then purposely work toward not achieving said number. The 3x10 would ideally be done for some volume/'pump.' Each set doesn't have to be a grinder. You'll still benefit even keeping the weight stable once you've mastered it for a while. Basically, I'm just saying there's no need to overthink things. You don't have to absolutely up the weight. You have a whole host of options. You can up the final set reps. You can up the weight and/or reps in all three sets. You can up the weight in the first set, next workout first two sets, next workout all three. You can drop set. You can pyramid. You can do lots of things.
    My E-Pharm Pump Spray/Prototype Nutrition UR Spray Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151019423

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are working on strict sets and reps (a good idea for many people, especially newbies), I recommend a rep range instead. So, if it's 5-8 (f'rex), start with sets of 5, and as soon as you can do however many sets of 8 (might be 3, say), up the weight a bit and drop back down to 5 reps. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum (well, until n00b gains are exhausted, lol).

That's my preferred method. YMMV.

And actually, 5-8 is a pretty solid choice, for the big lifts (squats, bench, whatever).

boardroom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally like to train pyramid style, but the rep ranges work fine too. Do what works for you.

RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RustedIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In all honesty it is a personal preference and how your body responds. i respond best to high volume so my rule is I start a weight at 3X15 when i can complete 3X20 FULLY i go up in wight by 5lb. Just remember, bodybuilding is like the tortoise. Slow and steady wins the race.