ThailerDurden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question amino acids VS protein powder

I don't understand amino acid supplements. If amino acids are used to make protein, why not just take protein? Amino acids seem like Ikea protein to me, you gotta put em together yourself.

Am I wrong? What's the point of taking amino acids? I don't get it.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ballbags1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're looking for aminos you gotta look at the essential aminos...there are several studies which show the benefit of taking essential amino acids:
    Here’s a recent study that showed that you only need 6g of essential amino acids to increase anabolism & muscle protein synthesis. The researchers concluded “that ingestion of 6g of EAA [essential amino acids] alone without addition of carbohydrate effectively stimulated muscle protein synthesis after resistance exercise”:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=12217881

In this 2000 study, researchers found that when they compared essential amino acids to 40g whey protein, that essential amino acids more efficiently entered systemic circulation and were incorporated into protein, as opposed to being catabolized: “in contrast, urea production increased significantly when 40 g of whey protein were ingested according to a protocol similar to the one used in this study…”
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=10658002
    Last edited by ballbags1; 12-08-2004 at 10:18 AM.

sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) sculli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ThailerDurden
    I don't understand amino acid supplements. If amino acids are used to make protein, why not just take protein? Amino acids seem like Ikea protein to me, you gotta put em together yourself.

For the most part you can just take protein. But if a particular amino does something that you're looking for you can take that seperately. For instance, a lot of people like Arginine and AKG b/c it increases the pump (still not necessary though). Or maybe you take it b/c it's a good antioxident etc.

MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MurphMan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use both. Whey and liver tabs.
    murphy240@hushmail.com

CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CaptainCode has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Basically you need to break down the proteins into usable forms that your body can process. While amino acids are already broken down for use in building muscle/whatever.
    Don't be an economic girly man.

Registered User BulgariaFitness's Avatar
    BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BulgariaFitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i have protein powder
    with vitamins,amino acids and salts in it
    just very good after workout
    Stay Fit : )

40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000) 40-Yard Dash_2 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BulgariaFitness View Post
    i have protein powder
    with vitamins,amino acids and salts in it
    just very good after workout
    I bathe in free form amino acids, whey, vitamins, and bath salts

Just very good after workout

supermankelly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You got it backwards. Protein produces/contains Aminos acids which repair damaged tissue. Is kind of like asking what is better, fruit or vitamin pills. vitamin pills is a quick solution if need vitamins, so protein powder is the a fruit drink with vitamins. Actually eating a good diet with protein is the actual fruit. Although for body building I have yet seen a answer to what is better, say a liquid amino or protein powder. Lately I have been having liquid aminos drink pre workout, so is in my system working once I start tearing the muscle tissue at the gym. If I got time I tend to blend a protein powder shake. So one or other a lot comes down to convenience.

Originally Posted by ThailerDurden View Post

cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cjwav34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Strong four year bump. I'm sure OP has been waiting eight years for your enlightened response.

edit: also stong thread views to actual post ratio.

anjanjanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anjanjanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anjanjanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anjanjanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anjanjanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anjanjanja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cjwav34 View Post
    Strong four year bump. I'm sure OP has been waiting eight years for your enlightened response.

edit: also stong thread views to actual post ratio.

I just googled protein powder vs amino acids and this thread came up at the top of the search results.

So even if Supermankelly's response wasn't helpful to the person that started the thread I am sure that it has helped me and many others.

STEP YOUR FUNDS UP Neopragmatist's Avatar
    Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Neopragmatist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 40-Yard Dash_2 View Post

lol, i miss you
    i take it for granted that no hearer of mine will misinterpret what I have to say as the language of cynicism

jcardenas003 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink amino acid v Protein

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. In the body, Protein that is ingested needs to be catabolized (broken down) into it's monomer amino acids. ONLY after that is done, will the body undergo anabolism to build Protein from it's smaller components (amino acids). Respectively, catabolism and anabolism take place via Hydrolysis and Dehydration reactions (both of these reactions are simply the removal and/or addition of a H20 molecule to either form a bond or break one. ATP is required for each and every single one of those reactions. The theory (as opposed to a hypothesis, check your dictionaries) is that amino acids are more readily available to and the anabolic portion of muscle synthesis receives a nice jump.
    Someone jokingly called amino acids "ikea proteins" b/c you have to build them yourself. That's a really really really good thing, when you consider the alternative is buying furniture that you have to deconstruct to transport home, and then rebuild it at home...that takes too much energy (ATP) which you probably want to save for your workout.

jakkerbal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good answer jcardenas, thanks, but it doesn't quite explain why amino acids have a noticeable effect for me compared to protein.
    I have found that taking amino acids after a real strenuous workout like doing deadlifts or sprinting for the first time in a few months reduce DOMS significantly. BCAA's or Whey etc doesn't seem to do anything for that.

SteveBalto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SteveBalto has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by jcardenas003 View Post
    Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. In the body, Protein that is ingested needs to be catabolized (broken down) into it's monomer amino acids. ONLY after that is done, will the body undergo anabolism to build Protein from it's smaller components (amino acids). Respectively, catabolism and anabolism take place via Hydrolysis and Dehydration reactions (both of these reactions are simply the removal and/or addition of a H20 molecule to either form a bond or break one. ATP is required for each and every single one of those reactions. The theory (as opposed to a hypothesis, check your dictionaries) is that amino acids are more readily available to and the anabolic portion of muscle synthesis receives a nice jump.
    Someone jokingly called amino acids "ikea proteins" b/c you have to build them yourself. That's a really really really good thing, when you consider the alternative is buying furniture that you have to deconstruct to transport home, and then rebuild it at home...that takes too much energy (ATP) which you probably want to save for your workout.
    Really good answer men, but give me a Conclusion, Is it aminos or Protein powder??

kevinbirulin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is coming from a bio major student. Amino acids are the "building blocks" to proteins. Chemically, a protein is made up of three, we'll say groups, plus an "R" group. This "R" group allows for the differently classified proteins. So, taking amino acids I assume can be beneficial in addition to protein. This is because it could allow the "R" group to form a necessary protein your body may need. However, I would recommend caution in taking ANYTHING that your body regularly makes because of the bodys reaction. Once your body understands there is an external source of any given vitamin, protein, lipid, etc., the natural production stops. This is particularly why it is recommended to cycle when taking supplements such as Creatine. ... have fun guys ! :P

Location: london, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) intro87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Originally Posted by jakkerbal View Post
    Good answer jcardenas, thanks, but it doesn't quite explain why amino acids have a noticeable effect for me compared to protein.
    I have found that taking amino acids after a real strenuous workout like doing deadlifts or sprinting for the first time in a few months reduce DOMS significantly. BCAA's or Whey etc doesn't seem to do anything for that.

Protein using shakes is ingested broken down into amino acids

So insteadd of waiting for your body to breakndown the protein into amino acids why not just take amino acids to deliver the recovery process faster?

Protein foods - best option
    Protein shakes - kinda convenient
    Amino acids - the best tablets and liquid ever made!!!!
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. — Walter Gagehot

BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BULLED has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by intro87 View Post
    Protein using shakes is ingested broken down into amino acids

So insteadd of waiting for your body to breakndown the protein into amino acids why not just take amino acids to deliver the recovery process faster?

Protein foods - best option
    Protein shakes - kinda convenient
    Amino acids - the best tablets and liquid ever made!!!!
    Fuack science! Show me what you can do under the bar. That's where it's at

- Dave Tate

Sorry, I am not young enough to know everything...