Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

17 Just joined the Gym - BF Estimate? Pics - Help with workout?

Hey guys, so i just joined the gym and have been going for about a week now. My main goal is to get toned up , focusing mainly on chest whilst also having nice arms shoulders etc... Note: I do not want to be a large bodybuilder with insane muscles.

Here is currently what i do at the gym in correct order:

Run 1KM on the treadmill
    Run 1KM on the Elliptical trainer
    Row 1000M (Rowing machine - Maximum wind resistance or w/e makes it harest i put it up to 10/10 apologiesfor sounding like a complete idiot ...)

And then i pretty much just head over to the machines / dumbbels and just about do everything as much as possible.

I do feel as if i should have a planned workout and i may be doing something wrong so i thought you guys would be able to help me out.
    Also if you could give me an estimate of my BF% that would really help too ( I am 6ft , not sure how much i weigh though), as i am currently dieting (Eating salads with mayonaise/chicken for lunch/dinner + not drinking sodas)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

(My camera phone is absolute ****, sorry for the bad quality , hope it still helps though :/)

EDIT:

Added a new photo, also it feels as if my muscles are undeveloped, at 17 years old and being left handed i have absolutely no muscle it seems )
    Attached Images

MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey just a few quick questions... What are your end goals (I know you said bigger chest, arms etc)? Why are you dieting?

If you want bigger muscles, eat a lot more (don't try and watch calories with salads), you won't build muscle with a massive calorific deficiency. I'd advise you to stop doing so much cardio if you want to put on more muscle and to do the starting strength program or a similar type of thing (and eat **** loads). To me you look skinny-fat, and I'm not great at bf% estimates but i'd go for maybe 13-15%, but don't quote me.

If you clear up a couple of things regarding your goals then we can help you out a hell of a lot better as I'm not sure as to why you're dieting or what your end goals are. Good luck brah.
    Always pick 7 Crew.

epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10) epsilonjr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MattD777 View Post
    Hey just a few quick questions... What are your end goals (I know you said bigger chest, arms etc)? Why are you dieting?

If you want bigger muscles, eat a lot more (don't try and watch calories with salads), you won't build muscle with a massive calorific deficiency. I'd advise you to stop doing so much cardio if you want to put on more muscle and to do the starting strength program or a similar type of thing (and eat **** loads). To me you look skinny-fat, and I'm not great at bf% estimates but i'd go for maybe 13-15%, but don't quote me.

If you clear up a couple of things regarding your goals then we can help you out a hell of a lot better as I'm not sure as to why you're dieting or what your end goals are. Good luck brah.
    I have no specific weight etc.. for my end goals , really just to be toned and have a nice set of abs, i haven't planned out any certain goals or weight that i want to get to? also, i thought that i need to do the cardio / diet to get rid of my skinny-fat?

Registered User NxtGenAesthetic's Avatar
    NxtGenAesthetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NxtGenAesthetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NxtGenAesthetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NxtGenAesthetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NxtGenAesthetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NxtGenAesthetic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would skip the cardio focus on compound movements and eat big

MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MattD777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hmm, any people you could say who you want to look like? Models, BB'ers, actors etc.
    Always pick 7 Crew.

Originally Posted by NxtGenAesthetic View Post
    i would skip the cardio focus on compound movements and eat big
    Even the rowing? i only spend a little time on the cardio, about 10-15 minutes, and i usually spend a whole 2hours+ at the gym. Also, when you say eat big, do you literally mean raid the fridge/cupboards and eat anything i see, or just try to eat bigger lunch / dinners?

Hmm, any people you could say who you want to look like? Models, BB'ers, actors etc.
    Ok , i'm not to sure of any actors or bodybuilders that i want to look like, but i did a quick google search and would like to have this kind of build:

ayushveda.com/dietfitness/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/skinybodybuilding.jpg

smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smittywhey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah you're already so small don't do cardio and build some muscle if you want to get "toned" up

Yeah well then I would ditch the cardio, maybe do it twice a week if you want want to stay 'fit' but don't overdo it. In order for you to achieve a body similar to the guy that you posted you are going to have to bulk. That means you will have to exceed your calorific maintenance level, eat very big and you can choose whether to eat healthy (clean bulk) or normally/junk food (dirty bulk). I would strongly suggest a clean bulk but search the forum for nutritional advice, just know that you have to bulk.

You need to lift heavy and as you're a beginner you will see some good gains, but I also strongly suggest you use the Starting Strength program for mass and obviously, strength. You'll also need to make sure that you get 8 hours minimum sleep per night if you want the best gains.

Oh and maybe also try some weight gainer shakes. You should also aim for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight to feed those muscles. If you read the stickies in this forum they will enlighten you. Good luck.

Annnnnnd when you've finally bulked and got to a big enough size, then you can cut and start to do cardio etc. (research bulk and cut)
    Always pick 7 Crew.

Yeah well then I would ditch the cardio, maybe do it twice a week if you want want to stay 'fit' but don't overdo it. In order for you to achieve a body similar to the guy that you posted you are going to have to bulk. That means you will have to exceed your calorific maintenance level, eat very big and you can choose whether to eat healthy (clean bulk) or normally/junk food (dirty bulk). I would strongly suggest a clean bulk but search the forum for nutritional advice, just know that you have to bulk.

You need to lift heavy and as you're a beginner you will see some good gains, but I also strongly suggest you use the Starting Strength program for mass and obviously, strength. You'll also need to make sure that you get 8 hours minimum sleep per night if you want the best gains.

Oh and maybe also try some weight gainer shakes. You should also aim for 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight to feed those muscles. If you read the stickies in this forum they will enlighten you. Good luck.

Annnnnnd when you've finally bulked and got to a big enough size, then you can cut and start to do cardio etc. (research bulk and cut)
    Just one question, it may seem stupid but, if i bulk from now will i not just get fat? i don't want to overbulk and end up fat as opposed to larger with more muscle

johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    id say get your diet in check and be eating at a calorie surplus.
    try to limit cardio to 1 - 2 times per week and keep it short.

how often do you train per week? stick to main compound lifts - bench / squat / deadlift / rows

iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bf around 13% I guess.
    Although its good your doing Cardio, i personally think you should do it only once a week or do it just for warmups. Start lifting, make a proper gym schedule, make splits for workouts (like monday-arms tuesday-legs blah blah). You really need to bulk so have A LOT more, i repeat A LOT MORE THAN WHAT YOU ARE HAVING! I'd recommend you to get Mass gainers (as it shows your 21).

Please read all the stickys you can. Do not ignore them. There is loads of usefull info in those boring looking bastards. It will really really help you to have an idea on how to do the things ive adviced you.
    Hope it helps.

Originally Posted by johnb92 View Post
    id say get your diet in check and be eating at a calorie surplus.
    try to limit cardio to 1 - 2 times per week and keep it short.

how often do you train per week? stick to main compound lifts - bench / squat / deadlift / rows
    Training 3-5 times a week, also, the gym i go to has two parts, an upstairs part with cardio and then machines for abs shoulders etc.. with dumbells in the corner, and a downstairs part (where all the big guys go) where you can benchpress etc... thing is you don't see many people down there that aren't already fairly muscular, should i be doing something with dumbells or the machines instead of going into the free weights part (downstairs)

iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iBotze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by epsilonjr View Post
    thing is you don't see many people down there that aren't already fairly muscular, should i be doing something with dumbbells or the machines instead of going into the free weights part (downstairs)
    Lol why give a **** about others? Your working out for yourself. You should start with machines for a week or two till your used to the exercise and pick up the Right form(VERY IMP). When your doing the free weights ,you should worry about is weather you have a spotter with you or not. If you have a trainer your sorted.

AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AdamabA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Originally Posted by iBotze View Post
    Lol why give a **** about others? Your working out for yourself. You should start with machines for a week or two till your used to the exercise and pick up the Right form(VERY IMP). When your doing the free weights ,you should worry about is weather you have a spotter with you or not. If you have a trainer your sorted.
    Hmm, ok thanks for the advice, i go to the gym with a friend so we can spot each other, however, when using the machines should i literally just do everything? what i do at the moment is i start with lets say pectorals, then when i'm tired i go to abs, then shoulders etc.. then i repeat all of them again, and then i head over to dumbbels. Is this ok? Or am i focusing on too much?

johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johnb92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i would start using the dumbells and barbells more than machines.
    machines dont train stabilizer muscles and most of them limit your range of motion.

start your lifting routine with compound exercises, then move onto the isolation. so for example.

chest
    barbell bench
    DB incline
    Dips
    Cable Crossovers

also read stickies and create a diet plan.

good luck

Please read the stickies about which exercise and making your own routine. really imp and loads of info. Do not reply. GO. READ. STICKIES.

Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000) Jericoe is just really nice. (+1000)

Thats not what a clean bulk or a dirty bulk is. A clean bulk is when you eat less then 500 calories over maintenance and a dirty bulk is when you eat more then 500 calories over maintenance. Also OP, do babylovers SS and start eating alot.

ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If I was you I would lower the cardio and start working with the weights. Search the threads for a weight training split, incorporate a "bulk" diet (research about this), and as for bf I would say under 15.

Thanks for all the help guys, but just one last thing.

If i am to bulk, does that not mean that my BF% will increase and i will not get the 6pack abs by summer? i am kinda hoping to have at least some ab definition by summer, is this possible? i am completely commited to go 3+ times a week for 2hours+

bump

wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get on a routine by reading the stickies in the workout section.

Get on a diet by reading the stickies in the nutrition section.

Just read up, learn and do it.

Best of luck

wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000) wwe101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by epsilonjr View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys, but just one last thing.

If i am to bulk, does that not mean that my BF% will increase and i will not get the 6pack abs by summer? i am kinda hoping to have at least some ab definition by summer, is this possible? i am completely commited to go 3+ times a week for 2hours+
    You either lose fat and don't build muscle.

Or build muscle and gain a little fat.

Also, don't train for 2+ hours a day.

Odjuret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Skip the cardio and focus on lifting. Eat alot and get your sleep.

That's enough to get to your goals I'd say. And I don't think you'll stop after you have managed to get mass, you'll continue if you like to train

Good luck!

BROGreg69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So you say you want to get toned, and you need muscle to achieve that. The toned look comes from lean muscle with a low body fat percentage. What you want to start doing is hitting the weights by doing compound exercises. These exercises will produce the highest amount of anabolic hormones which are required for skinny guys (ectomorphs) like yourself to grow. Examples of these exercises include squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc... But to build this muscle you are probably going to need to dramatically change your diet. You need to make sure you are taking in an excess of calories so your muscles have fuel to grow, which is why you should refrain from cardio during these times. The more cardio you do the more you have to eat, which isn't the easiest thing in the world. If you can find a healthy diet you can keep the fat gains minimal while growing muscle at the same time. For more information you can search these forums or just google ectomorph body building. Good luck!

JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeCHC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lift as heavy as possible 6 reps everything and anything and eat like a motherphucker srssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000) E77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Cut the treadmill and elliptical trainer - your goals are to put on some size (and therefore be 'toned') NOT to lose weight.

Everyone is probably going to tell you that you need to eat heaps and that you want to put on fat etc in order to gain muscle. Ignore that and just eat big meals. Don't focus on your weight (don't use any scales), but rather focus on your image. I've been doing it for 2 years and have not gained weight for over a year while getting much, much bigger.
    "... and at some point you have to know that the very thing you've been taught to be afraid of, you've now grown into" - Kai Greene

Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lanceippolito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just eat and stick to the basics bf is prob from 10-12%
    -NPC Men's Physique Competitor
    -PM me anytime! I am glad to answer ANY question and share advice!
    -Check out my videos Youtube.com/user/lanceippolito

jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jqrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Abs on a skinny kid don't count bro, bulk up a little