Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Confused with advices from PT

Hi

It’s been a while since my last post but I didn’t stop training and I ran my way through a few programs. I did 5/3/1 and then Simply Shredded and then BGB. At this point nothing was moving so much (and other stuff happening in my job) so I lost my motivation and didn’t go to the gym for almost 2 months. I started again at the end of Oct and decided to do Simply Shredded again as I loved it. I’m on week 6 at th moment and my WO are like that
    Leg day Quad
    3x6-8 Squat
    3x6-8 Reverse lunges
    3x6-8 Leg press (single leg)
    3x6-8 Leg extension
    3x6-8 Leg curls

Back day
    3x6-8 Pull up (assisted)
    3x6-8 Dip (assisted)
    3x6-8 cable pull down
    3x6-8 Lateral raise
    3x6-8 OH extension

Abs

Leg day Hamstring
    3x6-8 DL
    3x6-8 Glute bridge
    3x6-8 Leg press (single leg)
    3x6-8 Leg extension
    3x6-8 Leg curls

Chest day
    3x6-8 BB Bench
    3x6-8 BB row
    3x6-8 Incline DB press
    3x6-8 Cable row
    3x6-8 Biceps curls

Abs

I take 60s rest between each set and I feel like I really push myself. I total with warming and stretching it takes me 45-50min to complete my WO.
    I was determined to go through the whole program like that but the other day a PT came to talk to me and after a chat he said that I should take shorter rest break or even no rest and superset things by adding more exercises. His example was for the my squat day he would superset squats (3-4x6-8) with the abductor/adductor machine for sets of 15-20. He was really surprised when I said that I didn’t do the abductor/adductor machine (I saw on the board here that they are not the best).
    I’m not sure what to do now, should I stick to the program or add more exercises with shorter rest pause? I tried his way and it is more challenging but I could put as much weight for the squat with almost no rest between sets.
    The thing is that PT seems to know his stuff... so I’m confused. Sorry for this lengthy pots... I guess I wanted to give as many details as possible!!! Any advice would be welcome!

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Stroumphette View Post
    I was determined to go through the whole program like that but the other day a PT came to talk to me and after a chat he said that I should take shorter rest break or even no rest and superset things by adding more exercises. His example was for the my squat day he would superset squats (3-4x6-8) with the abductor/adductor machine for sets of 15-20. He was really surprised when I said that I didn’t do the abductor/adductor machine (I saw on the board here that they are not the best).
    I’m not sure what to do now, should I stick to the program or add more exercises with shorter rest pause? I tried his way and it is more challenging but I could put as much weight for the squat with almost no rest between sets.
    The thing is that PT seems to know his stuff... so I’m confused. Sorry for this lengthy pots... I guess I wanted to give as many details as possible!!! Any advice would be welcome!
    Would ignore. But that's because I've seen too many PT's 'upgrade' a program without asking for background info, with the sole purpose of flaunting their skill.

What were his arguments for his adaptations? Did he ask about the set up of your program? Why add the goodgirl/badgirl machine? And what goal were his suggestions geared at? What is your goal? However, if you like his adaptations, by all means, adjust.
    Last edited by Euqinom; 12-18-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stroumphette is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    He said that he sees me training hard but that I don’t seems to get that much results and don’t look completely exhausted when I leave. He thinks that I’m resting too much and not challenging my muscle enough. I have to says that he didn’t ask for my goals, I just said that my lifts don’t go up as fast as I would like them to. His comment about my program was that there was no progression. I said that there was since I move from 3x8-12 to 3x6-8 to 6x4-6 but he doubts that I add enough weight as I reduce the reps...
    I might give it a try but the other thing that make me doubt are his recommendation to use the Smith machine for squat and then his surprise when I didn’t want to use the foam pad for my squat... I feel like I would be better trying to convince my boyfriend to come with me to spot me for squat and bench so I feel more secure and add more weight rather than adding more excercises...

The goodgirl/badgirl machine (love the name!!!) was to build muscles that would help to squat with heavier weight.

Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Euqinom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    He said that he sees me training hard but that I don’t seems to get that much results and don’t look completely exhausted when I leave.
    Nonsense.

He thinks that I’m resting too much and not challenging my muscle enough.
    Nonsense. Except for maybe weight.

he doubts that I add enough weight as I reduce the reps...
    Maybe true. Depends on lifting experience etc. Still, bit blunt without any background knowledge.
    I might give it a try but the other thing that make me doubt are his recommendation to use the Smith machine for squat and then his surprise when I didn’t want to use the foam pad for my squat...
    If you're in doubt, you're right.

The goodgirl/badgirl machine (love the name!!!) was to build muscles that would help to squat with heavier weight.
    Don't like that solution at all. Did he specify what was holding you back on squats? Was it muscular imbalance? If so, I doubt that these machines are the ultimate fix, if he didn't check or tell you, I would not be surprised and not take his advice.
    Last edited by Euqinom; 12-19-2012 at 02:31 AM.
    First time order at iHerb.com? I got this discount code: EKE466. Will give you 10,- off on any order over 40$, 5 on any order under..
    http://www.iherb.com?rcode=EKE466

Blog! [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165643671&p=1324304881#post1324304881[/url]

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Tell him to mind his own business.

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i agree, I'd ignore that. Or just ask him what he thinks that is going to do for you (to see if he even paid attention to or even asked what your goals are). Gym PT's are notorious for loving these high rep circuit thingies and squeezing in a bunch of subpar exercises as opposed to letting you build any strength. It is pretty easy to run yourself out of breath and feel like you got some crazy workout in, but it doesn't mean you accomplished anything more than a sensible session where you are lifting to build.

My adductors are my strongest muscle and never once got on the good girl bad girl machine.

I actually kind of hate everything this guy has to say. Just tell him you already have help on your program and don't need his input. And then come on here for help Sounds like he embodies everything that gives trainers a bad name. Sorry!
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    I was thinking about asking my boyfriend for some PT session for Xmas as the guy seemed willing to help but on the second though and with all you feedback I’m not gonna do it!
    I might try to shorten a bit my rest pause but overall I’ll keep the same layout and keep adding weight to lift heavier if I can rather than adding more exercises. And no good girl/bad girl machine! Believe it or not it’s kind of the only machines where you have to queue to use it!!! Last night both squat racks where free but there were 3 girls waiting for those machines!!!

mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For the way he talked to you, i think you are much better without him. If u are having some doubts, maybe you could talk to some instructor that you trust.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143471063&p=854819153#post854819153
    Cut,cut, cut!

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    I was thinking about asking my boyfriend for some PT session for Xmas as the guy seemed willing to help but on the second though and with all you feedback I’m not gonna do it!
    I might try to shorten a bit my rest pause but overall I’ll keep the same layout and keep adding weight to lift heavier if I can rather than adding more exercises. And no good girl/bad girl machine! Believe it or not it’s kind of the only machines where you have to queue to use it!!! Last night both squat racks where free but there were 3 girls waiting for those machines!!!
    I wouldn't even reduce your rest periods. If you can go again in under a minute, you're probably not lifting enough weight, or doing enough reps per set (there are exceptions to this, but I can't see any reason why, at this point, you'd fall outside of this general rule). So instead of reducing how long you rest for, either add more weight to the bar or squeeze out a couple more reps.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    Gym PT's are notorious for loving these high rep circuit thingies and squeezing in a bunch of subpar exercises as opposed to letting you build any strength. It is pretty easy to run yourself out of breath and feel like you got some crazy workout in, but it doesn't mean you accomplished anything more than a sensible session where you are lifting to build.
    As a gym PT, I agree. Most people will, if you make them puff like a steam engine and finish the workout lying in a puddle of their own sweat, think that was an effective workout. Most people are less impressed that their bench press went from 50 to 60lbs, or their waist dropped 1 inch. Gym PTs thus focus on what impresses people - in the short-term, at least. Thus my own PT team leader sends us out example workouts - 12 different ones with no repeat of exercises through the whole thing. It's pointless past the first 6 weeks off the couch (where anything will make you stronger and with better endurance) but will make the typical gym-goer happy.

The OP's programme is not the sort I like to give out. Nonetheless I would stick with it over the advice this random guy gave you. Almost any programme you stick to will give you better results than changing sht all the time.