Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000)

Tough Mudder Training Tips

I just finished completing the first Tough Mudder race here in the US and it definitely lives up to the title. www.toughmudder.com. If your not familiar with this event, it's an endurance obstacle course race of about 7 miles or more (depending on which race you do) testing all aspects of fitness. The first race was held in Allentown, PA at the Bear Creak Mountain Resort on May 2nd. Temperature for the race was about 85 degrees. I decided to write this article because this is a new event that is gaining popularity and when I first started to train for it I could barely find any useful tips on how to train so I had to experiment on my own and after the race the following is what I came with.

How long should I train?
    If your planning to do this event you want to give yourself a good 8-12 weeks with about 4-5 days a week of training.

What should my training split be?
    You want to get in 2 long gym sessions with about 3 long runs. A recommended split would be, Monday/Wednesday - Gym workout, Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - Long run.

How should I train for my runs?
    You should try and find yourself some trails with good elevation changes and increase how many miles you do each week. First week of training try for 2 miles each run, next week try for 2.5 or 3. Just keep increasing to get your cardio up and use to running. For this particular race it was 7 miles total. Being able to do 5 miles comfortably would be sufficient.

How should I train in the gym?
    Assuming you have a gym membership, You want to keep your gym sessions as close to what you'd be doing to the race. At first you should be in there for an hour with 45 second rest between sets. As the weeks progress, Try for 1.5 hours with 35 second rests and eventually the final weeks, 1.75 hours with 30 seconds rest between sets.

What are the main muscles I'll be using in the race?
    I'll list the order of importance from top to bottom for the particular race which had a lot of mountain and uneven terrain.
    1) Quads
    2) Calves
    3) Biceps
    4) Forearms
    5) Back
    6) Abs

Secondary muscles were
    7) Hamstring
    8) Shoulders

Lastly are muscles that you should train but not nearly at the level of importance are
    9) Chest
    10) Triceps

What are some key exercises I should focus on?
    When your in the gym, these are the exercises you should train hard that will really help in your race.
    1) Stairmaster/Step Machine - This will emulate the hills and are a key component in your training.
    2) Deep Squats - If your race has black diamond mountains (extremely steep) This will help give you the power to dig into those hills and push up and onward.
    3) Calf raises/Seat calf raises - Focus on alot of reps to get your calves conditioned.
    4) Pullups - The most important upper body exercise you will need for this race. Will build your back, biceps and forearm strength.
    5) Bicep curls - After each rep try and do a static hold for 5 seconds to build good endurance.
    6) Ab circuit - Try and do a 10 minute ab routine that contains a variety of movements with no rest

For most of these workouts use your body weight and just keep increasing the reps. If you feel you get stuck at some points, incorporate a heavier weight and try and get the reps up to where they were and keep on pushing.

What's a good sample routine?
    Warm up on the eliptical for about 10 minutes, Proceed by doing a upper body routine,
    Pullups - 5 sets
    Dips - 3 sets
    Chinups - 3 sets
    Pushups - 3 sets
    Shoulder press - 3 sets
    Bicep curls - 4 sets
    Stairmaster - 20-30 minutes
    Ab routine - 10 minutes
    Inclined jog on treadmill - 5 to 10 minutes
    Warm down stretch.

What Should I wear for the race?
    Lycra/spandex style clothing (under armour style gear) will keep you dryer than cotton and more maneuverability. Trail shoes you can wear with no socks. Try and wear items that will cover your knees and elbows to protect from scrapes.

What Should I eat before the race?
    Last few days before the race try and eat salty foods or foods you like but add some salt. You want to keep a high sodium diet to help retain a lot of water so you wont get as dehydrated for the race. Try and eat carb heavy foods the night before and in the morning try and do a light breakfast, a bagel or some oatmeal 3 hours before the race is a good example. Drink plenty of water and gatorade the day before the race.

Last point I can make is during the race remember to keep a good pace, if you need to take a walk break then definitely do it but keep moving. I witnessed too many people try and run up the hills to only be seen by a medic needing oxygen half way up and having to get pulled from the race. People were gassed by the time to got to certain sections and couldn't finish. If you pace yourself and push through the pain you will finish.

I have a training journal up but I would take a look at it just to see all the different things I tried in preparation for this event. I wouldn't really follow it too much because I wasn't sure what to do like I said before and it was all experimentation. It's only after the race that I know now what I should've done and concentrated on. My last few workouts though I felt I was pretty spot on. Hope this was a helpful article to any future tough mudders out there looking for some insight on what to expect.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123084423

LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LivinUnlucky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice post man very detailed on how to train up

m6amba has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was also in this race, and I agree with matrixsleeper's recommended training tips.

I also agree with the statement that, you need to keep moving!
    my teammate and I took several long walk breaks, but we never stopped moving, and as a result we finished in much better time than we had planned (we are both overweight, and out of shape, but too stubborn/stupid to quit)

congrats matrixsleeper!!
    will you be doing the November edition?

matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000) matrixsleeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by m6amba View Post
    I was also in this race, and I agree with matrixsleeper's recommended training tips.

I also agree with the statement that, you need to keep moving!
    my teammate and I took several long walk breaks, but we never stopped moving, and as a result we finished in much better time than we had planned (we are both overweight, and out of shape, but too stubborn/stupid to quit)

congrats matrixsleeper!!
    will you be doing the November edition?
    I know a lot of guys at my job that want to do the November race but I'm really not an endurance runner and enjoyed the race way more than the training for it. It was nice to try something different but I really hate endurance training. I'm all about heavier weights less reps.

djfal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice

Hi,

Great post. I really liked your review of the course on your training blog. I am doing the 12 mile Tough Mudder in NJ this Sat and I am starting to feel a bit nervous. I just ran a half marathon in September so I spent my summer running 4-5 days a week and did little strength training. Since September I have been doing the recommended Tough Mudder work out twice a week, running 3 miles at least once a week, and cross-training once a week. However, I can't do a pull up with out using the machine where you can counter your weight. My legs are pretty strong but my upper body is not as strong. Do you think I will be able to make it over the obstacles?

Also any recommendations about what to do this week before the race? I am not sure if I should take it easy and do some light cardio workouts, do strength training, rest??

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.
    Last edited by djfal; 11-16-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Jgray1319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jgray1319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like fun

tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Really interesting post - people should write like this more often as it's really tough knowing what to expect with this kind of thing! Repped.
    Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Originally Posted by tse View Post
    Really interesting post - people should write like this more often as it's really tough knowing what to expect with this kind of thing! Repped.
    Thanks! Are you planning on entering an upcoming tough mudder race?
    Amateur Arm Wrestling Training Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134884721

Tough Mudder prep and race journal (May 2nd 2010)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123084423

TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10) TonyMuscoli is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by matrixsleeper View Post
    I know a lot of guys at my job that want to do the November race but I'm really not an endurance runner and enjoyed the race way more than the training for it. It was nice to try something different but I really hate endurance training. I'm all about heavier weights less reps.
    I HEEEARD THAT! I'll be at Tough Mudder this weekend and the only training I've been doing is the lifting. Everybody knows that is all that really matters.
    Gettin' Huge, End of Story.

terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) terry917 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

This is solid!

I've been asked about this program and knew little. Matrix has put together a darn good informative thread. This provides a good understanding and background of the event and what it takes to prepare. Thanks man for taking the time with this. God bless!

I just finished completing the first Tough Mudder race here in the US and it definitely lives up to the title. www.toughmudder.com. If your not familiar with this event, it's an endurance obstacle course race of about 7 miles or more (depending on which race you do) testing all aspects of fitness. The first race was held in Allentown, PA at the Bear Creak Mountain Resort on May 2nd. Temperature for the race was about 85 degrees. I decided to write this article because this is a new event that is gaining popularity and when I first started to train for it I could barely find any useful tips on how to train so I had to experiment on my own and after the race the following is what I came with.

How long should I train?
    If your planning to do this event you want to give yourself a good 8-12 weeks with about 4-5 days a week of training.

What should my training split be?
    You want to get in 2 long gym sessions with about 3 long runs. A recommended split would be, Monday/Wednesday - Gym workout, Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday - Long run.

How should I train for my runs?
    You should try and find yourself some trails with good elevation changes and increase how many miles you do each week. First week of training try for 2 miles each run, next week try for 2.5 or 3. Just keep increasing to get your cardio up and use to running. For this particular race it was 7 miles total. Being able to do 5 miles comfortably would be sufficient.

How should I train in the gym?
    Assuming you have a gym membership, You want to keep your gym sessions as close to what you'd be doing to the race. At first you should be in there for an hour with 45 second rest between sets. As the weeks progress, Try for 1.5 hours with 35 second rests and eventually the final weeks, 1.75 hours with 30 seconds rest between sets.

What are the main muscles I'll be using in the race?
    I'll list the order of importance from top to bottom for the particular race which had a lot of mountain and uneven terrain.
    1) Quads
    2) Calves
    3) Biceps
    4) Forearms
    5) Back
    6) Abs

Secondary muscles were
    7) Hamstring
    8) Shoulders

Lastly are muscles that you should train but not nearly at the level of importance are
    9) Chest
    10) Triceps

What are some key exercises I should focus on?
    When your in the gym, these are the exercises you should train hard that will really help in your race.
    1) Stairmaster/Step Machine - This will emulate the hills and are a key component in your training.
    2) Deep Squats - If your race has black diamond mountains (extremely steep) This will help give you the power to dig into those hills and push up and onward.
    3) Calf raises/Seat calf raises - Focus on alot of reps to get your calves conditioned.
    4) Pullups - The most important upper body exercise you will need for this race. Will build your back, biceps and forearm strength.
    5) Bicep curls - After each rep try and do a static hold for 5 seconds to build good endurance.
    6) Ab circuit - Try and do a 10 minute ab routine that contains a variety of movements with no rest

For most of these workouts use your body weight and just keep increasing the reps. If you feel you get stuck at some points, incorporate a heavier weight and try and get the reps up to where they were and keep on pushing.

What's a good sample routine?
    Warm up on the eliptical for about 10 minutes, Proceed by doing a upper body routine,
    Pullups - 5 sets
    Dips - 3 sets
    Chinups - 3 sets
    Pushups - 3 sets
    Shoulder press - 3 sets
    Bicep curls - 4 sets
    Stairmaster - 20-30 minutes
    Ab routine - 10 minutes
    Inclined jog on treadmill - 5 to 10 minutes
    Warm down stretch.

What Should I wear for the race?
    Lycra/spandex style clothing (under armour style gear) will keep you dryer than cotton and more maneuverability. Trail shoes you can wear with no socks. Try and wear items that will cover your knees and elbows to protect from scrapes.

What Should I eat before the race?
    Last few days before the race try and eat salty foods or foods you like but add some salt. You want to keep a high sodium diet to help retain a lot of water so you wont get as dehydrated for the race. Try and eat carb heavy foods the night before and in the morning try and do a light breakfast, a bagel or some oatmeal 3 hours before the race is a good example. Drink plenty of water and gatorade the day before the race.

Last point I can make is during the race remember to keep a good pace, if you need to take a walk break then definitely do it but keep moving. I witnessed too many people try and run up the hills to only be seen by a medic needing oxygen half way up and having to get pulled from the race. People were gassed by the time to got to certain sections and couldn't finish. If you pace yourself and push through the pain you will finish.

I have a training journal up but I would take a look at it just to see all the different things I tried in preparation for this event. I wouldn't really follow it too much because I wasn't sure what to do like I said before and it was all experimentation. It's only after the race that I know now what I should've done and concentrated on. My last few workouts though I felt I was pretty spot on. Hope this was a helpful article to any future tough mudders out there looking for some insight on what to expect.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123084423
    Terry Hill MSE Physiology/CPT/Sport Nutrionist-AFPA

"Quality of life depends on the amount of willingness in the effort!"

Originally Posted by djfal View Post
    Hi,

Great post. I really liked your review of the course on your training blog. I am doing the 12 mile Tough Mudder in NJ this Sat and I am starting to feel a bit nervous. I just ran a half marathon in September so I spent my summer running 4-5 days a week and did little strength training. Since September I have been doing the recommended Tough Mudder work out twice a week, running 3 miles at least once a week, and cross-training once a week. However, I can't do a pull up with out using the machine where you can counter your weight. My legs are pretty strong but my upper body is not as strong. Do you think I will be able to make it over the obstacles?

Also any recommendations about what to do this week before the race? I am not sure if I should take it easy and do some light cardio workouts, do strength training, rest??

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.
    You seem like a seasoned runner so I'm sure you'll do good. As far as the upper body training goes you might have a hard time on some of the obstacles and I wouldn't start any upper body training this close to the race. Right now you should be resting up so your at your best this Saturday. BUT there are a few things you can take to help push through some of the more physical obstacles. Purple Wraath, Purple Intrain, or Extend are very good products that allow you to push your body even further during a training session and can apply to this type of race.

If you really want to go nuts and attack the sh!t out of the course for the first half then I would even take a pre-workout supplement like Jack3d 30 minutes before the race and see about getting some kind of portable water bottle you can keep on your hip that you can sip the other stuff (purple wraath, etc).

Jack3d will give you a big boost of energy and focus and you'll feel great and then drinking Purple Wraath or one of those other supplements during the race will help you to keep going strong and fight fatigue. Purple Wraath I've used personally and everyone that I know thats tried it love it. A guy at my job was training for the Tough Mudder we did and was having a hard time getting to 3 miles. Once he starting drinking Purple Wraath he told me he was able to do 4 miles easy and felt great afterwards. GOOD LUCK!

Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Biohazardous22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I ran something similar called the Mud Run, just so happened to be Twin Cities Mud Run where I was, a race to raise money for MS. Anyways definatly one of the most physicaly demanding races I have ever done. Good write up I suggest anyone who is wanting to challenge themselves should do at least one.

ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghaklar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck to my fellow bb.com Tough Mudders this weekend. I can't wait to compete this weekend.

bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bethtwenty4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Tough Mudder rocks! I did the NorCal last month and am gonna get the season pass for 2011!! The obstacles weren't hard and having a team makes it easier/way more fun. We are doing the SoCal together in May. First day as a team, second day racing each other. Altitude was the toughest part so if that's a factor where you will be racing DEFINITELY try to train for that. HAVE FUN!

savagereed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the training tips. I've done a handful of mud runs this past year and the Tough Mudder (Socal) looks to be the most strenuous of the bunch. I'm starting my tough mudder training come January, my goal is to be in the top 5%.

tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tse is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks! Are you planning on entering an upcoming tough mudder race?
    Well I'm from England but was hoping to do a tough guy or something similar, like assault course/ run soon. How's the training coming on?
    Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Originally Posted by tse View Post
    Well I'm from England but was hoping to do a tough guy or something similar, like assault course/ run soon. How's the training coming on?
    Actually I switched gears completely. been getting into arm wrestling and have been training for that. My workouts have been getting stale but once I started to train for arm wrestling my motivation has gone through the roof. I've always wanted to get into it but never was sure how but I did some research and it's been great. I even train with a group of experienced pros about once a week.

I might think about doing another tough mudder race if I can get alot of people together for it.

mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good tips, plan on being at the Indiania one in 2011.
    It stresses team work. Can you give me a clue as to why? A buddy will be doing it with me so we want to plan our training accordingly.

Originally Posted by mlandis View Post
    Good tips, plan on being at the Indiania one in 2011.
    It stresses team work. Can you give me a clue as to why? A buddy will be doing it with me so we want to plan our training accordingly.
    The whole teamwork aspect I think is geared more towards motivation. If you're doing the race with a friend and train for it, the last thing you want is to not finish and having somebody there to push you to keep on going can really help. It can also work well if your into friendly competition. I did the race with 2 other friends but wanted to keep pushing because I didn't want to appear to be the weak link so I kept on pushing but it was great to share the experience with people and make it more fun.

mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mlandis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The whole teamwork aspect I think is geared more towards motivation. If you're doing the race with a friend and train for it, the last thing you want is to not finish and having somebody there to push you to keep on going can really help. It can also work well if your into friendly competition. I did the race with 2 other friends but wanted to keep pushing because I didn't want to appear to be the weak link so I kept on pushing but it was great to share the experience with people and make it more fun.
    Thanks. I'm keeping an eye on the schedule to see when there will be one close to Ohio. Looking forward to the challenge.

DocHyg8404 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

GA Tough Mudder

Hey every1 enjoyed the thread on the training journal thnax for the help matrixsleeper. I plan on running the tough mudder in GA in March. My only concern is they will not let me run it cuz i have a prostetic leg. Is there ne word on quick medical evaluation and did you see ne1 with a medical impairment such as a prostetic leg or of sorts? and will the give me my money back if they do not allow me to run in it. Well either way i plan on running it even if i have to bring my own waiver saying nething that happens is becouase of my own fault haha see yall in GA. Ne1 else goin
    Doc Hyg, Oh hey i got 1 leg haha but the other 1 still aint worth ****

Originally Posted by DocHyg8404 View Post
    Hey every1 enjoyed the thread on the training journal thnax for the help matrixsleeper. I plan on running the tough mudder in GA in March. My only concern is they will not let me run it cuz i have a prostetic leg. Is there ne word on quick medical evaluation and did you see ne1 with a medical impairment such as a prostetic leg or of sorts? and will the give me my money back if they do not allow me to run in it. Well either way i plan on running it even if i have to bring my own waiver saying nething that happens is becouase of my own fault haha see yall in GA. Ne1 else goin
    That would be pretty dumb of them to not let you run the race due to a prostetic leg. They make you sign a death waiver saying they're not responsible if you die so I don't get why they would then all of a sudden think they have the right to say what you can or can't do physically. I didn't see anyone with a medical impairment on the race and am not sure of a quick medical evaluation but I would fight it and do whatever you can to show them that your capable of running the race. I really hope they let you run the race because that would be awesome. I think that's what training and working out is all about. Pushing your body to limits you never knew you had, accomplishing goals and being able to be proud of what you can do. Pushing passed what other people would see as limiting and just going for it. Keep us posted and good luck!

dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dirtyjerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'll be there for the Allentown, PA race. i'm in pretty good shape now, strong legs/back. and have good wind from lots of metcons (think crossfit) gotta get my legs use to the pounding though, gonna wait till about 4 weeks out to start the distance running to save my shins.
    New Jersey: 201
    ★ BlackBerry Messenger Misc Group ★
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

All lifts are 100% raw. (old stats are old)
    Squat: 375x5, 385x3, 415x1
    Front Squat: 315x5, 335x3
    Deadlift: 515x5, 525x1
    Clean: 305
    Bench: 275x6, 290x3, 305x1

Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
    i'll be there for the Allentown, PA race. i'm in pretty good shape now, strong legs/back. and have good wind from lots of metcons (think crossfit) gotta get my legs use to the pounding though, gonna wait till about 4 weeks out to start the distance running to save my shins.
    Cool. you will have to post afterwards and tell us how it was.

I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in Logan Ohio in June. Figure that will be a good judge of what I need to work on for the Mudder.

cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnparong has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mlandis View Post
    Cool. you will have to post afterwards and tell us how it was.

I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in Logan Ohio in June. Figure that will be a good judge of what I need to work on for the Mudder.
    Just finished the Warrior Dash here in FL and i'm hooked. Looked into Tough Mudder for the ATL location, figuring out if 37 days is enough to train for this! I'm so amped in doing all these mud runs! They are so much fun

Originally Posted by cnparong View Post
    Just finished the Warrior Dash here in FL and i'm hooked. Looked into Tough Mudder for the ATL location, figuring out if 37 days is enough to train for this! I'm so amped in doing all these mud runs! They are so much fun

That is great. Do the ATL one! Just finishing shows you kicked ass.

I've done the Men's Health Urbanathalon the last two years, but I have a feeling the mudder will make that seem easy.

HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HollisterHB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Possibly looking at the Vermont one in May. A couple of my former roommates have signed up already but I'm bulking until April so Im not sure if I'll have the time to train for this. Looks pretty sick though.

Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000) Autodidactic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Stumbled across this thread after doing a search for training tips. Very helpful thread BTW.

I have kind of a unique situation. I had a few small surgeries on my hip in the last year which stopped me from training at all and, to say the least, I've fallen off of my training pretty hard.

I got the OK to exercise again on February 1st and decided to sign up for the Tough Mudder in Allentown on April 9th. I figured I would train harder if I had a tangible goal to reach.

After all of that, my question is, how much running distance should I be comfortable covering before the race? I'm thinking 8 comfortable miles + PWO supps + scenery + team = me getting through the race fairly easily. I haven't been doing much distance yet because I feel like I shouldn't go too hard on my hip yet, but I have been running steep hills. Think rural Pennsylvania, grassy hills.

I am a firm believer in muscle memory and I feel like that will help me in the end. I was in the military for 4 years, amateur powerlifter, and, until recently, have always been generally fit.

Thanks, and great thread.
    Anti Anti Hover Crew

schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) schmack has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for sharing, I'm doing the one in Vermont if all goes well.
    Instagram= lighteyedhapa

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness. Po

Originally Posted by Autodidactic View Post
    Stumbled across this thread after doing a search for training tips. Very helpful thread BTW.

I have kind of a unique situation. I had a few small surgeries on my hip in the last year which stopped me from training at all and, to say the least, I've fallen off of my training pretty hard.

I got the OK to exercise again on February 1st and decided to sign up for the Tough Mudder in Allentown on April 9th. I figured I would train harder if I had a tangible goal to reach.

After all of that, my question is, how much running distance should I be comfortable covering before the race? I'm thinking 8 comfortable miles + PWO supps + scenery + team = me getting through the race fairly easily. I haven't been doing much distance yet because I feel like I shouldn't go too hard on my hip yet, but I have been running steep hills. Think rural Pennsylvania, grassy hills.

I am a firm believer in muscle memory and I feel like that will help me in the end. I was in the military for 4 years, amateur powerlifter, and, until recently, have always been generally fit.

Thanks, and great thread.
    The Allentown PA race should be about 7 miles total if I'm not mistaken but has a lot of elevation changes. If you can do 5 miles comfortably then you'll have what it takes to finish strong. The steep hills will require leg muscle endurance more than running endurance and there's a few breaks when waiting for some of the obstacles. As far as PWO supps go I can't speak highly enough about Purple Wraath to take for the race. It's more of an intra supp but for a long race like this it will help big time. Good luck on the race!