Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Shoulder Exercises For Bad Shoulders

Guys/Gals

I frequently receive shoulder pain, when performing any over head press. Seated or otherwise. Especially behind the neck press. The pain is in my joint and this severely limits my weight where my joint gets sore way before my muscle does. I find this really makes it hard for me to train my delts. Also my bench but that is another post.

Any suggestions on non overhead shoulder exercise that will work my front delt. Or a routine to work the delts that is for the shoulder sensitive?
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause"- Teddy Roosevelt

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've been plagued with a bad shoulder my whole life, so I feel your pain (no pun intended).

Only thing I've been able to do as a workaround for getting a shoulder workout without doing any overhead presses is to do lateral dumbbell raises and/or lateral raises with a cable pull. But you won't build much size with these exercises, as they are primarily for shaping. You can do them out to the side of your body to work the side delt, and out to the front of your body to work the front delt.

Some of the machines out there like Hammer Strength may allow you to do some heavy presses without putting as much strain on your shoulder, though.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Front raises to shoulder level are a great anterior delt exercise, also can try high pulls, upright rows, pushups, chest flys.

As far as the shoulder pain, I would look into using foam rolling, rotator cuff exercises, and mobility work to help correct the issue. If you want some exercise ideas let me know.
    Last edited by crazy4health; 01-09-2010 at 01:33 PM.
    Got Pain? Lacking results? Check out my Thera-Strength program and manuals, it's the missing link in your training program http://Thera-Strength.com , Also follow me on my blog/website for even more helpful information http://TheStrengthDoctor.com

Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skinnier will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks guys, as you said it stinks most of the excercise that are not too painful are just for shaping. As for foam rolling and mobility work? I am not familiar with these and would love to use any excercises you can suggest. I roll in BJJ 3 times a week and shoulder strength and flexibility is important in preventing injuries, which unfortunately I am limited in both. So any tips would be awesome.

Also has anyone ever had this problem? If I stretch my shoulders before I lift I find I have less shoulder strength and more pain. Does that make any sense?
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause"- Teddy Roosevelt

crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crazy4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I updated my last post ans included a few more exercises. The high pulls and upright rows are more mass movements, but will have to see if they irritate or not.

As for the stretching, you should never do that before working out, only after. Think of cold taffy, when you pull on it cold it breaks. But if it is warm it will stretch for ever. Same with muscle cold stretching will injure you. It also calms the nervous system, causing you to be temporarily weaker.

Foam roller ( or rolling with a ball) and mobility work will prepare the muscle for exercise and improve performance. I would try and use a tennis ball and roll circles on your chest and anterior shoulders. Then use a foam roller on the back and posterior shoulder before your workout. Leave the stretching for afterward.

I don't want to be a salesman, but I have a manual on all this that explains everything better. Even if you don't want that, I will give you some more ideas if you would like.
    Got Pain? Lacking results? Check out my Thera-Strength program and manuals, it's the missing link in your training program http://Thera-Strength.com , Also follow me on my blog/website for even more helpful information http://TheStrengthDoctor.com

is in love with Tom Platz DaveBriggs's Avatar
    Location: shropshire, england, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what kind of range of movement have you got on your shoulders?

i have had shoulder surgery and lots of physio, at one point i could not lift my arm at all lol
    Natural Physique Ascossiation South East Britain lightweight champion

NPA Mike Williams Classic 3rd place Novice and Best First timer of tournament
    NPA National Finals 5th place Novice
    NPA Midlands Lightweight 2nd - best poser award
    NPA South East Lightweight Champion
    UKDFBA (british INBF arm) Bantams 4th
    NPA Mike Williams Classic Lightweight 2nd
    Natural Physique Assocciation British Finals - 5th

http://www.unleashedbeasts.com/beasts/david-briggs-talks-to-us/

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you perform lightweight rehab style work?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Awesome I will check out the manual and see some of your ideas. As for range of motion. I can get my arms over my head then thats about it.

is in love with Tom Platz DaveBriggs's Avatar
    Location: shropshire, england, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaveBriggs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    started off just lifting the weight of my right arm, was hit by a car while out jogging my entire shoulder structure was destroyed, they fitted a new rotary cuff and used a metal pinn to attach the bone of my right upper arm to it.

took about a year or so till i could pick things up properly with it, ached real bad till i started bodybuilding properly though.

the key in getting bad shoulders to work right is a very gradual increas in weight on all movements. its vital to strenghen all 3 heads of the deltion even.

also strong trap muscles help support the shoulder and allow you to use good amounts of weight in overhead presses.

i take 1000mg of glucosamine sulphate daily aswell alot of fish oils. this helps in keeping the machinery moving lol
    Natural Physique Ascossiation South East Britain lightweight champion

NPA Mike Williams Classic 3rd place Novice and Best First timer of tournament
    NPA National Finals 5th place Novice
    NPA Midlands Lightweight 2nd - best poser award
    NPA South East Lightweight Champion
    UKDFBA (british INBF arm) Bantams 4th
    NPA Mike Williams Classic Lightweight 2nd
    Natural Physique Assocciation British Finals - 5th

http://www.unleashedbeasts.com/beasts/david-briggs-talks-to-us/

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DaveBriggs View Post
    started off just lifting the weight of my right arm, was hit by a car while out jogging my entire shoulder structure was destroyed, they fitted a new rotary cuff and used a metal pinn to attach the bone of my right upper arm to it.

took about a year or so till i could pick things up properly with it, ached real bad till i started bodybuilding properly though.

the key in getting bad shoulders to work right is a very gradual increas in weight on all movements. its vital to strenghen all 3 heads of the deltion even.

also strong trap muscles help support the shoulder and allow you to use good amounts of weight in overhead presses.

i take 1000mg of glucosamine sulphate daily aswell alot of fish oils. this helps in keeping the machinery moving lol
    +1
    Start light.
    Progressive increase in weight.
    Give your joints time to get used to a weight before you move onto the next even if you can handle it with ease.
    Side laterals and front raises are not "shaping" exercises, they are mass building exercises.
    They may not work for the powerlifter but a bodybuilder doesn't need much else.
    Heavy presses are overrated for bodybuilding IMO.
    Front and side raises are done with a light weight but that's just because you only use the muscle intended, and it gives it's all so it grows.
    It doesn't get worked any harder if you do presses, it gets support from the triceps and it's an easier ROM because the weight is much closer to the body.
    If big delts is all you need and you can do front, side and bent-over raises you're pretty much done.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I didnt read all the posts so I apologize if I'm redundant.
    Use machines.
    I have had shoulder issues for a long time because of overuse. Machines make it possible for a good shoulder sesh. Yes I know, free weights will work the stabilizers and overcome the deficiencies. There is a point where this is not valid. If it hurts dont do it. Machines have been my salvation with bad shoulders. At some point we must face our realities in training
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    I didnt read all the posts so I apologize if I'm redundant.
    Use machines.
    I have had shoulder issues for a long time because of overuse. Machines make it possible for a good shoulder sesh. Yes I know, free weights will work the stabilizers and overcome the deficiencies. There is a point where this is not valid. If it hurts dont do it. Machines have been my salvation with bad shoulders. At some point we must face our realities in training
    Will this help with shoulder tendonitis?
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    The OP's issue may not be an RC strength/weakness but rather impingement or possibly an AC joint issue.

Most of the responses in this thread don't even take that into consideration.....

Improved mobility and posture in the shoulder girdle is almost 100% of the time not contraindicated, but RC exercises can be depending on the problem.

If you're not very educated about shoulders please don't give you opinion or your experience unless you know it may directly pertain to the OP. Sigh.

starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    look up rotor cuff exercises and do them (light weight).. also do rev pec dec, side raises and front raises.. then after a month or so, then try the presses and mass bassed exercises
    MMC 2009 Conan

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by punxnotdead309 View Post
    Will this help with shoulder tendonitis?
    Absolutely.
    We take the RC out of the equation with most machines and this allows us to train around the problem until it heals. Bottom line is never train something when it hurts and always look for execises that allow you to train without pain.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by braindx View Post
    The OP's issue may not be an RC strength/weakness but rather impingement or possibly an AC joint issue.

Most of the responses in this thread don't even take that into consideration.....

Improved mobility and posture in the shoulder girdle is almost 100% of the time not contraindicated, but RC exercises can be depending on the problem.

If you're not very educated about shoulders please don't give you opinion or your experience unless you know it may directly pertain to the OP. Sigh.
    even if that is the case rotor cuff exercises wont hurt...
    MMC 2009 Conan

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Absolutely.
    We take the RC out of the equation with most machines and this allows us to train around the problem until it heals. Bottom line is never train something when it hurts and always look for execises that allow you to train without pain.
    glad that the machines have helped you.

Have to comment this though, machine do not take RC out of the equation. the RC stabilizes and holds the shoulder joint in place when performing any exercise. when ever you lift or rotate your arm you use the rotator cuff muscles. But agree you should never train through a lot of pain.

I have also seen people who exclusively use machines hurt their shoulders. A lot of machines, especially older ones are not well designed for how the body actually works. Don't get me wrong some machines are good and I use some in my therapy/fitness treatments with my patients/client, but they are not always the answer.

Tendinitis is an inflammation of the muscle tendon, usually with shoulder it is not the RC muscles that are the problem, more likely biceps or pec tie in on anterior of shoulder.

Sephiravixen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi I was interested in the exercises you have for injured body parts, ex bad shoulders, knees etc...

Where would I get the info? Can you send it to me?

Thanks,

Szilvia

Originally Posted by crazy4health View Post
    I updated my last post ans included a few more exercises. The high pulls and upright rows are more mass movements, but will have to see if they irritate or not.

As for the stretching, you should never do that before working out, only after. Think of cold taffy, when you pull on it cold it breaks. But if it is warm it will stretch for ever. Same with muscle cold stretching will injure you. It also calms the nervous system, causing you to be temporarily weaker.

Foam roller ( or rolling with a ball) and mobility work will prepare the muscle for exercise and improve performance. I would try and use a tennis ball and roll circles on your chest and anterior shoulders. Then use a foam roller on the back and posterior shoulder before your workout. Leave the stretching for afterward.

I don't want to be a salesman, but I have a manual on all this that explains everything better. Even if you don't want that, I will give you some more ideas if you would like.

trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trankwil is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    behind the neck presses are terrible for shoulder impingement. I would do shoulder press and back off to light weights and work back up. Also flat bench presses might be the bigger culprit here as it was for me.