Closed Thread
Page 4 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by H1t_V3r4c View Post
    I have a couple of questions,

Does the 4 set scheme mean the 2 warmup sets and the 2 worksets or does it mean 2 warmup sets and 4 worksets?

Is it detrimental to do cardio and abs on the workout days?
    It is 2 warm up and 2 work sets. It is not recommended but you can try if you still have the energy and if nothing will stall on you...
    Steve H. Ngo
    Currently on 12 weeks bulking program.
    Starting at 165lbs with approx 12% BF.

squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squatlover has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sngo - I'm thinking of copying your program you have in your sig:

Is the intermediate program very much the same structure as the beginners program? I would like to add on some pull up/pull down exercise routine as well as upright rows -

Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50) Srsbsns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This was very helpful, thanks!

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dgaughan View Post
    But what if you are struggling on those last few reps and you are tilting or unsteady? The weights will slide off even tho you can finish.
    You would have to be tilting quite a bit (not just a few degrees) for this to occur. I've been lifting for over 25 years, and this has never happened to me. Besides, you should stop before your form goes south, and if you had to choose one or the other, which would you rather experience: accidentally dropping the weights on the floor because you kept going too long with terrible form OR being trapped under weight that could kill you?

KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10) KenChampion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    so i want to get lots of muscle gains. will doing this do so? What is this routine aimed to do. I dont understand

mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mmapcpro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    If you want rows and curls to stall and go backwards then sure have it.
    I'm guilty of doing the same thing this week. I feel like I picked waaay too light of a weight to start with for curls, and i found myself chatting with another lifter in the gym...lost focus, and I did 2 extra sets of curls because it just simply didn't tire me out. Of course, this was on the light day.

You probably get tired of repeating yourself over and over again, All Pro...but when you do as you did right here, it helps me remember that I'm not in a sprint...and that I should follow the program as prescribed.

So basically, even if I did choose too light of a start weight on one exercise, when the other ones stall, I"ll eventually catch up anyway...is that the idea?

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mmapcpro View Post
    I'm guilty of doing the same thing this week. I feel like I picked waaay too light of a weight to start with for curls, and i found myself chatting with another lifter in the gym...lost focus, and I did 2 extra sets of curls because it just simply didn't tire me out. Of course, this was on the light day.

You probably get tired of repeating yourself over and over again, All Pro...but when you do as you did right here, it helps me remember that I'm not in a sprint...and that I should follow the program as prescribed.

So basically, even if I did choose too light of a start weight on one exercise, when the other ones stall, I"ll eventually catch up anyway...is that the idea?
    YUP! The program will balance out the lifts after a few cycles. That's one of the reasons I chose to increase the weight 10% from cycle to cycle. It's very aggressive but it will help even things up very quickly.

dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I just tried squatting for the 1st time in 20 years. It was pretty pathetic. The outside of my arm (just below the shoulder on the outside behind the bicep) really hurt, my knees grinded and shook and my shoulders where the bar rested was killing me. My neck and arm still hurts and that was 10 minutes ago.

Is this normal? I'm going to have to start with a really light weight (90 lbs or less and I weight 170). What is the risk of starting with a weight too light for your work sets instead of the 10RM?

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just tried squatting for the 1st time in 20 years. It was pretty pathetic. The outside of my arm (just below the shoulder on the outside behind the bicep) really hurt, my knees grinded and shook and my shoulders where the bar rested was killing me. My neck and arm still hurts and that was 10 minutes ago.

Is this normal? I'm going to have to start with a really light weight (90 lbs or less and I weight 170). What is the risk of starting with a weight too light for your work sets instead of the 10RM?
    There's no problem with starting lite. Try starting at 50 pounds.

dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dgaughan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There's no problem with starting lite. Try starting at 50 pounds.
    I just tried doing a set with no weight or bar at all and it wasn't easy! My knees are shot. I figured my 10RM is 90 lbs but the form was terrible. 50lbs sounds good - thanks!

wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am about to start week 5 of cycle 2 on Monday. I have been doing ab and cardio on Tu/Th/Sat. Never had any issues until Friday. (my light day) I ran on Thursday and during my workout on Friday I really struggled with my squats and bent over rows. I could feel the fatigue in my legs. I would venture to bet cycle 3 would be almost impossible for me to pass if I kept up my 3 day cardio ab work routine. It's just something I'm going to have to tweak on if I want to keep doing it on my off days. Maybe just run a couple days a week and back down on how long I run.

BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can I add 2 sets of wrist curls? My forearm is really lacking and they dont hinder my progress right?

Originally Posted by BLACKnSILVER View Post
    Can I add 2 sets of wrist curls? My forearm is really lacking and they dont hinder my progress right?
    How many 5 week cycles of this program have you done?

Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sngo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by squatlover View Post
    Sngo - I'm thinking of copying your program you have in your sig:

Is the intermediate program very much the same structure as the beginners program? I would like to add on some pull up/pull down exercise routine as well as upright rows -
    Squatlover,

Intermediate program are different setup but if you are ready i can PM it to you. Intermediate program using (Squat, Bench press, Rows) as the main exercises, you can add as many exercise as you can handle therefore i add all the exercise from the beginner and others.

Honestly, i found myself gain more mass and strength with beginner program and the intermediate are so much harder.
    Steve H. Ngo

Why calf raises? Just to get a full body workout or is there another reason? What are the ramifications if I skip them?

I searched the original thread for an answer to this question but couldn't find one.

Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Akos1712 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a couple of questions,

Does the 4 set scheme mean the 2 warmup sets and the 2 worksets or does it mean 2 warmup sets and 4 worksets?

2 warm up - 2 workset for the first 4 exercise
    then 3 last exercise just 2 workset, no warm up needed

Why calf raises? Just to get a full body workout or is there another reason? What are the ramifications if I skip them?

I searched the original thread for an answer to this question but couldn't find one.
    IMO calf raises is necessary. Imagine you have a 26" thigh but your calf is only 12 or 13" isn't that look kinda odd. Not to mention calf strength help improve your stability when doing squat. You gotta have a foundation to be able to build muscle on top of it.
    Steve H. Ngo

Originally Posted by Akos1712 View Post
    2 warm up - 2 workset for the first 4 exercise
    then 3 last exercise just 2 workset, no warm up needed
    Damn i've been doing all 4 work sets on the last 3 exercises for months. No wonder why i am so tire lol.
    Steve H. Ngo

wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I've wasted the last 3.33 weeks of this program.

I've been doing it like this:

25% weight set
    -squats
    -bench press
    -rest of exercises

THEN

50% weight set
    -squats
    -bench press
    -Rest of exercises

THEN

100% set
    All exercises

THEN

100% set
    all exercises

25% squats
    50% squats
    100% squats
    100% squats
    25% BP
    50% BP
    and so on
    **MISC Cigar Crew**

wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wado66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wills12 View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I've wasted the last 3.33 weeks of this program.

I've been doing it like this:

25% weight set
    -squats
    -bench press
    -rest of exercises

THEN

50% weight set
    -squats
    -bench press
    -Rest of exercises

THEN

100% set
    All exercises

THEN

100% set
    all exercises

25% squats
    50% squats
    100% squats
    100% squats
    25% BP
    50% BP
    and so on
    Finish all 4 sets of each exercise before you move on to the other exercise.

wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wills12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wado66 View Post
    Finish all 4 sets of each exercise before you move on to the other exercise.
    Oh good god...I hope the last 3 weeks hasn't been for nothing.

Thanks for the reply. Repped.
    **MISC Cigar Crew**

BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BLACKnSILVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many 5 week cycles of this program have you done?
    4 cycles

Scamceno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello all new to the building, need to get some strength and size, and read good things about this workout. Only did day 1 yesterday, but I had a question about the plan.

Is there no worry for your abs? Im naturally a small guy(5'7". about 130lbs), so Im toned just from being so skinny and light exercise experience in the past. From what I read I won't have to really worry about the definition as bulk up a bit, but the workout I noticed there are no ab specifics it seems.

Do one or more of these workouts help without me noticing? Or should I add an 8th exercise so that I dont have huge looking arms cuz my stomach was left behind?

Originally Posted by Scamceno View Post
    Hello all new to the building, need to get some strength and size, and read good things about this workout. Only did day 1 yesterday, but I had a question about the plan.

Is there no worry for your abs? Im naturally a small guy(5'7". about 130lbs), so Im toned just from being so skinny and light exercise experience in the past. From what I read I won't have to really worry about the definition as bulk up a bit, but the workout I noticed there are no ab specifics it seems.

Do one or more of these workouts help without me noticing? Or should I add an 8th exercise so that I dont have huge looking arms cuz my stomach was left behind?
    This was something that was posted waaaay back at the beginning of the first thread.

Squats - Target is Quads, but also Gluteus Maximus, Abductor, Hamstrings, Erector Spinae, Obliques and Rectus Ab's

Bench Press - Target is Pecs, but also Triceps and Shoulders

Bentover Row - Target is Back, but also glutes, hamstrings biceps and loads of others.

O/H BB Press - Target is Shoulders, but also triceps

SLDL - Target is lower back, Glutes and Hamstrings, but also Rhomboid, Lats, Quads, Ab's and Obliques

Barbell Curls - Target is Biceps

Calf raises - Calfs

Scamceno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wado66 View Post
    This was something that was posted waaaay back at the beginning of the first thread.

Squats - Target is Quads, but also Gluteus Maximus, Abductor, Hamstrings, Erector Spinae, Obliques and Rectus Ab's

Bench Press - Target is Pecs, but also Triceps and Shoulders

Bentover Row - Target is Back, but also glutes, hamstrings biceps and loads of others.

O/H BB Press - Target is Shoulders, but also triceps

SLDL - Target is lower back, Glutes and Hamstrings, but also Rhomboid, Lats, Quads, Ab's and Obliques

Barbell Curls - Target is Biceps

Calf raises - Calfs
    I figured it had, but there doesn't seem to be a search within a thread function on this site, and that first thread is around 350 pages long..............so forgive the semi laziness haha. Thanks for the answer though bro, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by BLACKnSILVER View Post
    4 cycles
    You can try adding 1 set each of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Do them last or you will have a problem holding on to the weight for everything else.

Registered User CalmAsHinduCows's Avatar
    CalmAsHinduCows has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, All Pro, I'm following your advice on the cycles, reps, and sets; But, I've come up with my own routine to follow it and if you could advise, that would be awesome.

Routine:

Alternating Weeks: ABA, BAB, ABA, etc...

Week A:

Day 1:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Chin-Ups

Day 2:

Squats
    Over Head Press
    Dead Lifts

Day 3:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Pull-Ups

Week B:

Day 1:

Squats
    Over Head Press
    Chin-Ups

Day 2:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Dead Lifts

Day 3:

Squats
    Over Head Press
    Pull-Ups

Off Days:

Abs and Cardio

Originally Posted by CalmAsHinduCows View Post
    Hey, All Pro, I'm following your advice on the cycles, reps, and sets; But, I've come up with my own routine to follow it and if you could advise, that would be awesome.

Routine:

Alternating Weeks: ABA, BAB, ABA, etc...

Week A:

Day 1:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Chin-Ups

Day 2:

Squats
    Over Head Press
    Dead Lifts

Day 3:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Pull-Ups

Week B:

Day 1:

Squats
    Over Head Press
    Chin-Ups

Day 2:

Squats
    Bench Press
    Dead Lifts

Day 3:

Squats
    Over Head Press
    Pull-Ups

Off Days:

Abs and Cardio
    Don't do squats and dead lifts in the same work out. Where is the back work, ie; rows? Use pull downs or pull overs not chin ups or pull ups for the work out. The reason is because you can't use less than body weight and adjusting the weight for those exercises is a pain in the posterior.
    You could use squats, bench press, rows / dead lift, over head press, standing rows to build the core of the program. You've got the right idea. The exercise choice and work out structure just needs some fine tuning.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm going to reread the threads and see how I can rearrange the whole deads and squats thing. Thanks again.

Thinking of just going ahead and doing Rippetoe's Base Novice Program:

Workout A
    Squats
    Bench
    Deadlift
    DIPS

Workout B
    Squats
    Standing Press
    Rows
    PULLUPS/CHINS

But, with the reps, sets, and cycles that you described. Any good?

Closed Thread