Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000) dogg74 is just really nice. (+1000)
    seems to be progressing quite fast Beast..with 465 feeling like a cakewalk..you must be doing something right..well..you arent called the beast/guru for nothing
    Staying healthy and injury-free has also been a plus..keep it that way!!
    "Shadow X-Factor"
    Play Time is Over...This is "SHOWTIME"
    Destiny Soon Awaits!..."LIGHT'S OUT"!
    Team Norton/Team Scivation
    Mercerless Muscles Training
    No Excuses...An Excuse is like an A$$hole...No one wants to SEE IT...HEAR IT...or SMELL IT!

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by davemcmullan View Post
    thanks for the reply guru
    Happy to help out. Feel free to post questions in here.

Originally Posted by dogg74 View Post
    seems to be progressing quite fast Beast..with 465 feeling like a cakewalk..you must be doing something right..well..you arent called the beast/guru for nothing
    Staying healthy and injury-free has also been a plus..keep it that way!!
    Thanks Dogg!

My best lifts recently are:
    Bench 345 X 1
    Deadlift 545 X 1
    Squat 405 X 1

Old PR's (2005-2006)
    Bench 365 X 3-5
    Deadlift 600 X 1
    Squat 585 X 3

My bench isn't far off from my old PR nor is my deadlift, but my squat is still a ways off. I am thinking about trying out the Smolov Squat routine, which involved squatting multiple times a week, to get my squat up. Lower back hasn't been giving me any issues lately so I am ready to hit some heavy weights!... in a smart, controlled fashion
    Last edited by Beast; 01-13-2012 at 07:44 AM.

hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Derek, what routine do you think I should go on while cutting to make the best strength gains? And what are your thoughts on intermitting fasting? Keep up the good work

beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefyfan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by hamplition View Post
    Hey Derek, what routine do you think I should go on while cutting to make the best strength gains? And what are your thoughts on intermitting fasting? Keep up the good work
    At 5'6 and 145, what the hell are you going to cut? Why don't you eat like a horse and train your arse off before wasting anyone else's valuable time with these absurd questions.

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Happy to help out. Feel free to post questions in here.

Thanks Dogg!

My best lifts recently are:
    Bench 345 X 1
    Deadlift 545 X 1
    Squat 405 X 1

Old PR's (2005-2006)
    Bench 365 X 3-5
    Deadlift 600 X 1
    Squat 585 X 3

My bench isn't far off from my old PR nor is my deadlift, but my squat is still a ways off. I am thinking about trying out the Smolov Squat routine, which involved squatting multiple times a week, to get my squat up. Lower back hasn't been giving me any issues lately so I am ready to hit some heavy weights!... in a smart, controlled fashion
    Those are some serious numbers there Beast....prior and present....I'm sure you'll get back there soon enough!
    RDF

The pain that greets me, is the stick that beats me...

My Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151219463

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by beefyfan View Post
    At 5'6 and 145, what the hell are you going to cut? Why don't you eat like a horse and train your arse off before wasting anyone else's valuable time with these absurd questions.
    While Beefyfan's comments are a bit blunt he is right. At 17 years old focusing on eats healthy and gaining lean mass and strength. Check out my Daily Bulking Trainer program on the supersite.

I am not a fan of intermittent fasting.

Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
    Those are some serious numbers there Beast....prior and present....I'm sure you'll get back there soon enough!
    Thanks Robert! If I can get my squat strength up I will be happy

1/15/12- Squats

I worked up to 405 X 1 today on squats. I could probably get 425 X 1. Right now I feel like tight hip flexors and hip adductors are holding back my squat strength, so I am really going to focus on foam rolling and stretching those. I am pretty happy with my bench and deadlift strength, but I want my dang squat to go up!

1/16/12- Bench Press
    Having done heavy singles with squats and deadlifts over the past two weeks I was curious to see what my bench press max is. Today I did:
    135 X 10
    185 X 5
    225 X 3
    275 X 2
    315 X 1
    335 X 1
    355 X 1
    375 X 1 NEW PR!
    The heaviest I have ever bench pressed was 365 for 3-5 reps, so 375 is the heaviest I have ever benched. 355 went up quick and easy! 375 went up slow but steady. I was not sure if I would be able to bench 375, so I did not attack the weight with as much confidence as I did 355. When I benched 355 in my mind I knew I would complete it. When I benched 375 I was unsure, which I truly believe did hamper my performance. Your mental mindset plays a big part in lifting!

So my current 1-rep maxes are:
    Bench 375 X 1
    Squat 405 X 1
    Deadlift 545 X 1

My goals for these lifts are:
    Bench 405 X 1
    Squat 495 X 1
    Deadlift 585 X 1
    If I can hit those numbers I will be EXTREMELY happy!

bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you have a video on how you rigged Elite Strong Bands up to Leg Press?
    “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” - Michaelangelo

Originally Posted by bilestyle View Post
    Do you have a video on how you rigged Elite Strong Bands up to Leg Press?

FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get on that soft tissue and mobility work and then come back up in here with that 5 plate squat sir .
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144101461
    Best meet lifts: 424/303/551 (93kg)
    Best gym lifts: 420/290/565

Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
    Get on that soft tissue and mobility work and then come back up in here with that 5 plate squat sir .
    Soft tissue work with foam roller and lacrosse ball on tap for today!

1/18/12

Deadlift Day!

For today's workout I did:
    425 X 5, 5, 5, 4, 3

I feel like my body is still recovering from last week's workout of 455 X 3 for 5 sets as 425 felt pretty heavy. I have tried out various loading patterns over the past couple of months and one thing I really haven't done is implement set deload weeks. I have weeks/workout targeting 5, 3, 1 rep sets figuring that I could just rotate those, but no matter how you organize things the body is still getting beat up. I almost feel like doing a deload week is HARDER to do than taking a week off of the gym because you are in the gym purposefully NOT training as hard as possible, which goes against the mentality of always performing at your best. So I will keep playing around with my setup and perhaps try implementing some planned deload time

boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50) boatnerjg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you or have you ever regularly used pre workouts Beast, and do you buy into the whole adrenal fatigue/burnout thing?

I have been using 2 scoops of novem (400 mg caffeine) 4 times a week for a month. I don't take any other stims, not even coffee, and plan to take a week off every 3-4 weeks of use. My tolerance hasn't gone down at all, and I take supps for adrenal health just in case. I also steer clear of 1,3 as that stuff stims me out of my mind lol.

I don't see them as a crutch because while I know I have good workouts without them, I have much better strength and muscular endurance with them, and over time that should equate to better gains.

Do you think there are any risks with there use, or is it fairly benign, and more of a personal/money thing?

Originally Posted by boatnerjg View Post
    Do you or have you ever regularly used pre workouts Beast, and do you buy into the whole adrenal fatigue/burnout thing?

I have been using 2 scoops of novem (400 mg caffeine) 4 times a week for a month. I don't take any other stims, not even coffee, and plan to take a week off every 3-4 weeks of use. My tolerance hasn't gone down at all, and I take supps for adrenal health just in case. I also steer clear of 1,3 as that stuff stims me out of my mind lol.

I don't see them as a crutch because while I know I have good workouts without them, I have much better strength and muscular endurance with them, and over time that should equate to better gains.

Do you think there are any risks with there use, or is it fairly benign, and more of a personal/money thing?
    I use pre-workouts on and off, though right now I am addicted to the flavor of Berry Novem + Grape Xtend so I have been using it daily LOL.

I think when you are just dealing with caffeine before your workouts there shouldn't be much of a concern. What I have been reading lately it appears that adrenal burnout is more due to overall stress in our lives and obviously weight training can play a part in this. This is a topic I want to look into more before giving a FIRM answer, but I think using caffeine 4X a week is perfectly fine.

1/20/12

I have been focusing on Chin-Ups lately and have really grown to love the movement. Today I ramped up doing sets of 5 reps until I hit BW+55 X 5. After that I did some static holds for 30 seconds, 20 seconds, and 10 seconds. New goal is to get up to BW+90 X 5!

1/21/12

Squat day. Squats have been my nemesis as of late. This is the one lift I want to increase as I am way below what I used to do. I need to be content with making slow, consistent progress though and not get ahead of myself. Today I hit 365 X 5 and then 375 X 3. I had been stuck at 365 X 3 for a while, so it is great to beat that number. The next logical step is 375 X 5, not 405 X 5 as much as I would like it to be LOL.

beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beteasta1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good workout regiment
    Pain is temporary Pride is forever

Originally Posted by beteasta1 View Post
    good workout regiment
    Thanks Beteasta!

1/24/12
    Today starts my journal to bench 405! It has been a LONG time goal of mine to bench 405 lbs so it is time to get to work. I hit a PR of 375 X 1 on bench press last week, so I am only 30 lbs away from my goal. Today I hit 315 X 4, 3. Each week I will progressively lift more by either lifting heavier or performing more sets. After bench press I did 105's for two sets of 10 on flat DB press along with some back thickness work. 405 will be mine!

Swollking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How often do you incorp the resistance bands on bench, squat etc....

hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hamplition is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've noticed you don't take sesamine. Any reason? Or is it uneeded

MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000) MASSMADETOLAST is just really nice. (+1000)
    1/24/12
    Today starts my journal to bench 405! It has been a LONG time goal of mine to bench 405 lbs so it is time to get to work. I hit a PR of 375 X 1 on bench press last week, so I am only 30 lbs away from my goal. Today I hit 315 X 4, 3. Each week I will progressively lift more by either lifting heavier or performing more sets. After bench press I did 105's for two sets of 10 on flat DB press along with some back thickness work. 405 will be mine!
    You already have this and you know it bro!! Leg training domination this Sunday, LET'S GO!!!!!
    x xTraining Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136977983

Originally Posted by Swollking View Post
    How often do you incorp the resistance bands on bench, squat etc....
    Not often. I haven't done any consistent band training in a little bit. One thing to remember is that raw lifters (no equipment) are usually stronger at the top of the movement. Bands (reverse band setup) increase the amount of weight/tension at the top of the movement. So you are strengthening the top of the movement more than the bottom where most our weakest. The reverse band setup can help you with your explosiveness since the weight is lighter at the time of the movement.
    I don't recommend using reverse band setups continuously, but rather occasionally (in 2-4 week blocks) as a way to provide a different overload stimulus from time to time.

I've noticed you don't take sesamine. Any reason? Or is it uneeded
    I used it for a while and then stopped using it and noticed no difference, so I simply stopped taking it. Some people love and swear by Sesamin though.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am really digging the goals you have set, a 4 plate bench is a nice feather in the cap.

I also found no use for sessamin during the off season. When i get into prep i think the concentrated fats of high quality are important since fat is limited a bit more.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

Swollking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking thanks for the info

Would you suggest using straps on occasion also for deads. Should I concentrate on dead stop deads or touch and go.

Not often. I haven't done any consistent band training in a little bit. One thing to remember is that raw lifters (no equipment) are usually stronger at the top of the movement. Bands (reverse band setup) increase the amount of weight/tension at the top of the movement. So you are strengthening the top of the movement more than the bottom where most our weakest. The reverse band setup can help you with your explosiveness since the weight is lighter at the time of the movement.
    I don't recommend using reverse band setups continuously, but rather occasionally (in 2-4 week blocks) as a way to provide a different overload stimulus from time to time.

I used it for a while and then stopped using it and noticed no difference, so I simply stopped taking it. Some people love and swear by Sesamin though.

Originally Posted by Swollking View Post
    Would you suggest using straps on occasion also for deads. Should I concentrate on dead stop deads or touch and go.
    If you have aspirations of competing in powerlifting I would not rely on straps for deadlift training. Even if you have no plans on competing on powerlifting I would only use straps on your heaviest sets of deadlift. I don't recommend bouncing on deadlifts. Always stop, reset, and ensure your form is 100%.

Diet Update

My current diet is as follows:

Meal #1
    1.5 Scoops Scivation Whey
    1 Cup Oatmeal
    20g Raw Almond Butter
    10g Raw Honey
    8 oz. Unflavored Almond Milk

Meal #2 (PWO)
    1.5 Scoops Scivation Whey
    1 Cup Oatmeal
    10g Raw Honey
    1 Cup Raw Whole Milk

Meal #3
    6 oz. Grass Fed Beef
    2 Slices Ezekiel Bread
    2 oz. Sweet Potato Fries
    15 Almonds/Cashews

Meal #4
    6 oz. Free Range Chicken
    4 oz. Sweet Potato Fries OR Brown Rice Cakes
    15g of fat from Coconut/Coconut Oil (usually cook the chicken in this)

Meal #5
    4 Whole Free Range Eggs
    2 oz. of whatever meat I have cooked
    4 Slices Ezekiel Bread or 8 oz. Potato (Or a mix of both)

Macros Totals (if you plug everything into a calorie counting program):
    Protein = 250g
    Fat = 90g
    carbs = 330g

Training 1/26/12
    Deadlifts 495 X 3, 2, 1

Followed that up with some leg curls and other posterior chain work. I had wanted to get 495 X 5, but that wasn't happening today.

Training 1/27/11
    Chin-Ups
    BW X 8
    BW+25 X 5
    BW+50 X 4
    BW+75 X 3
    BW+100 X 1

Followed that up with some shoulder pressing, shrugs, and BB curls.

annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) annemarie_DJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey Beast! Nice to see the regular posts and stellar work here. Looks like the new year has begun! Gotta say the pic of the leg press machine with resistance bands made me wince ! ouch! And I'm jealous of your chin ups. But I'm slowly working up the wide grip pull ups to where they once were. (Always easier after a cut when I weigh less! )
    anne-marie

Scivation contest prep forum:

Spring 2011 contest prep: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=604035473#post604035473
    Spring 2010 contest prep: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=433766611#post433766611
    Spring 2009 contest prep: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=604035473

www.twitter.com/annebrugger

bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10) bilestyle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How does your cheat meal protocol differ from in-season and off-season?
    “The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” - Michaelangelo

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    I am really digging the goals you have set, a 4 plate bench is a nice feather in the cap.

I also found no use for sessamin during the off season. When i get into prep i think the concentrated fats of high quality are important since fat is limited a bit more.
    Thanks Paul!

Originally Posted by annemarie_DJ View Post
    Hey Beast! Nice to see the regular posts and stellar work here. Looks like the new year has begun! Gotta say the pic of the leg press machine with resistance bands made me wince ! ouch! And I'm jealous of your chin ups. But I'm slowly working up the wide grip pull ups to where they once were. (Always easier after a cut when I weigh less! )
    Thanks Anne-Marie. I remember when I was at my contest weight pull-ups were EASY! It felt like I was pulling up nothing. I am sure you will regain your pull-up strength.

Originally Posted by bilestyle View Post
    How does your cheat meal protocol differ from in-season and off-season?
    For me personally I think I am ok to keep the cheat meal in for a while during my prep, but when the contest gets closer I need to remove it. In the offseason, I say one meal of whatever you want is fine. I personally don't eat any fried food. I usually just eat 1/2 a pizza

NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NaturalPursuit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IN for this!!! Loving that diet!!!!
    advertising not permitted

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast