Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50)

No Energy During Workouts?

My Workouts have become so lazy the last few times i've gone to the gym. After a couple sets, i hit a wall, get a headache and struggle to get through the rest of the workout. I eat about 40g of carbs, 38g of protein, and about 20g of fat usually 15-60 minutes before. Are any of these possibilities the cause?

- Not working out at a regular time
    Being a student, I go to the gym when I can. Somedays I go at 10:30 am, other days I go at 3:00 pm, Noon, 5:00pm, it depends, but it is never the same time.

- Diet change
    The last 2 weeks, I have added more fat and cut back on carbs, but still am getting roughly the same macro's.

-New Workout
    2 weeks ago, I started a new workout. I workout each muscle group twice per week instead of once like I was doing before. Still lifting 4 days per week though.

Mental Outlook/Motivation
    - I have some frustrations at home and with relationship stuff. These things always come in my mind when I am in the gym.

Would any of these be the possible cause? This is very frustrating. Thanks

Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by adambannon View Post
    My Workouts have become so lazy the last few times i've gone to the gym. After a couple sets, i hit a wall, get a headache and struggle to get through the rest of the workout.
    Dehydrated? Not eating enough calories? Taking sets to failure too often and have suffered CNS burnout? Poor routine?

Tons of possibilities. There's a few to consider.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142702151

adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Cy4 View Post
    Dehydrated? Not eating enough calories? Taking sets to failure too often and have suffered CNS burnout? Poor routine?

Tons of possibilities. There's a few to consider.
    I am constantly drinking, maybe calories are too low, ill adjust after weekly weigh in tomorrow. I am wondering what CNS burnout is?

Any ideas on what an ideal routine should be for me? (Days, excercises, sets, reps). I get bored of a routine fast and find myself changing too often. Looking for the perfect one to stick to for awhile.

jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonnycook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    - Diet change
    The last 2 weeks, I have added more fat and cut back on carbs, but still am getting roughly the same macro's.
    By roughly the same macro's, do you mean roughly the same calories? Why did you change your diet? Some people function better on carbs, others on fats - maybe change back to what you were doing. Are you currently cutting, maintaining or bulking and for how long?

Do the headaches come after doing a high-exertion set/rep? (look up "exertion headaches")

When's the last time you did a deload? What caused you to change your workout two weeks ago?

If you've increased your volume, and especially if you've got other stuff going on in your life, it's possible that your recovery is just not up to the job. You should be looking forward to going to the gym and doing your workouts. If not, it may not be the workout for you, or you might be overtraining (or starting to become overreached). If this is the case, then no program change or supplement will help - you just need to let your body recover.

There's an excellent series on overtraining by Lyle McDonald:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ind...s=overtraining
    It's also discussed in the book "Beyond Brawn", which lists symptoms of overtraining - lack of motivation being one of the them.

Originally Posted by jonnycook View Post
    By roughly the same macro's, do you mean roughly the same calories? Why did you change your diet? Some people function better on carbs, others on fats - maybe change back to what you were doing. Are you currently cutting, maintaining or bulking and for how long?

Do the headaches come after doing a high-exertion set/rep? (look up "exertion headaches")

When's the last time you did a deload? What caused you to change your workout two weeks ago?

If you've increased your volume, and especially if you've got other stuff going on in your life, it's possible that your recovery is just not up to the job. You should be looking forward to going to the gym and doing your workouts. If not, it may not be the workout for you, or you might be overtraining (or starting to become overreached). If this is the case, then no program change or supplement will help - you just need to let your body recover.

Ya I mean the same calories. I changed my diet because I was not getting enough fat so I increased that and cut back on some carbs. I am bulking and have been for about 9 months. I've gained 25 lbs and am now at about 151. I want to get to 170-180 so ill be bulking a while longer. The headaches usually come after a hard exercise like chin ups or squats. I try to aim for 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I don't know if I have ever deloaded. Is it good to do even when bulking? I changed my workout because I was bored of it and had ran it for 2 plus months. Thanks for the help and the article.

sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sur4j has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You say you have started training different times, I noticed I cant get the same intensity on a workout on the night after college as I would in the morning sya at 10am, some people do better at night than the morning its all about how you react to it, but I think of it this way, you workout at night and get no food to recover the muscles over the night, you workout in the morning, it is intesne and your day feels better and all the food that goes into your body after that is helping the muscle recover.
    Also like said above, carbs are needed for more energy, some people react badly when they lower there carbs thats why I keep my fats higher on rest days and on workout days I up my carbs and drop my fats.
    Try it see how it works for you, dont be scared to experiment, we are all different.

ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try a deload week and see how it goes after that.

Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am wondering what CNS burnout is?
    CNS is an acronym for the central nervous system. When it suffers burnout/fatigue, the ability to produce force through voluntary muscle contractions is diminished. The body can also respond with increased feelings of exhaustion and other warning signs such as headaches and general malaise.

Which sounds a lot like:
    |
    |
    V

After a couple sets, i hit a wall, get a headache and struggle to get through the rest of the workout.

akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akius has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hows your sleep, lot of times when I'm getting good restful sleep my pre workout shakes have more effect.

qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500)
    try not to eat so much before working out.

you'll get energy if lifting on an empty stomach, once u start lifting

you can also try doing less volume and more intensity. I don't spend more than 5 minutes on a muscle group

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    To me, it sounds like you're just not having fun training. A training partner and a specific set of goals could help focus your training so that your mind is excited to do the work. Without the focus, you'll just go through the motions and not get much in the way of results.

qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500) qeynos is not very helpful. (-500)
    kind of annoyed at these posts when they don't post their routine and whine about being tired

Originally Posted by akius View Post
    Hows your sleep, lot of times when I'm getting good restful sleep my pre workout shakes have more effect.
    I try to get 8 every night. Some nights I get 7 hours and change though

Originally Posted by qeynos View Post
    kind of annoyed at these posts when they don't post their routine and whine about being tired
    Sorry, here it is

Workout 1

Flat Bench Presses - 10-12 Reps
    Incline Flyes - 10-12 Reps
    Chins - 10-12 Reps
    One-Arm Rows - 10-12 Reps
    Standing Barbells Curls - 10-12 Reps
    Concentration Curls - 10-12 Reps
    Crunches - 20-30 Reps
    Leg Raises - 15-20 Reps

Workout #2

Squats - 12-15 Reps
    Leg Extensions - 12-15 Reps
    Lying Leg Curls - 15-20 Reps
    Standing Calf Raises - 15-20 Reps
    Seated Calf Raises - 15-20 Reps
    Shoulder Presses - 12-15 Reps
    Lateral Raises - 12-15 Reps
    Dumbell Shrugs - 12-15 Reps
    Triceps Pushdowns - 10-12 Reps
    One-Arm Cable Pushdowns - 10-12 Reps

I do each workout twice per week.

MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe not the best fix if you've got other issues going on but if you're not currently on a preworkout pick one up. They work wonders for my energy and motivation.

Originally Posted by MaiArrendersi View Post
    Maybe not the best fix if you've got other issues going on but if you're not currently on a preworkout pick one up. They work wonders for my energy and motivation.
    Do you mean creatine?

Sorry, here it is

Workout 1

Chins - 10-12 Reps
    Crunches - 20-30 Reps
    Leg Raises - 15-20 Reps

Workout #2

Squats - 12-15 Reps

# sets?

btw the routine kind of looks like garbage, i dont know what your goal is tho
    Last edited by qeynos; 02-25-2012 at 11:48 AM.

konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your routine you're following does look garbage.. You could be over training. Try a push/pull/legs workout.... Or a classic, chest/bis, tris/back legs/core etc...... It could be that you are working you're WHOLE body too much. If you really feel ****ty going to the gym try a simple amino acid blend, before and during your workout. Make sure you're eating enough vegetables and fruits. No SODA or CHIPS. Amino Acids are the building blocks of proteins, and will help you push along with your workout, has worked so far for me.. Whenever I hit the gym or have hockey games, I seem to forget about all the "drama" or problems I have going on, working out is like rehab for me : ) . Just try to focus and not think about ****s that bothering you.

Workout 1

Chins - 10-12 Reps
    Crunches - 20-30 Reps
    Leg Raises - 15-20 Reps

Workout #2

Squats - 12-15 Reps

How many sets for each exercise?

Edit: Just noticed qeynos asked too.

MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MaiArrendersi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do you mean creatine?
    Check out the bodybuilding.com store for supps like MusclePharm Assault, Jack3d, NO Explode, 1MR, SuperPump, etc. I'd post links but I'm on my phone and it's too hard but do a quick search and youll find them. Guarantee they'll help you.

Originally Posted by MaiArrendersi View Post
    Check out the bodybuilding.com store for supps like MusclePharm Assault, Jack3d, NO Explode, 1MR, SuperPump, etc. I'd post links but I'm on my phone and it's too hard but do a quick search and youll find them. Guarantee they'll help you.
    Or he could save himself a lot of money and drink milk instead.

patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10) patcazza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    are you eating too soon before your workout? i know that if i have something within an hour of hitting the gym i usually feel pretty sick.

Your anger and stress should be put to good use at the gym. get angry, but don't lift more than you can. controlled aggression is the key - you can get a lot more out of your workouts this way.
    "Disregard Females, Acquire Aesthetics"

"What Doesn't Kill You Makes You More Aesthetic"

Aussie Aesthetic Legends:
    - Ben Cousins
    - Lance Franklin
    - Aziz Shavershian

If you Rep me, I will write your name and current rep power on a list I have in notepad and I will rep you back when I have the same amount or similar Rep power.

Same goes for negs.

cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50) cjscore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You need a better routine. Check out the stickies and pick a routine that might fit you. I usually drink coffee before I workout. It is a lot cheaper than any pre workout drink you will find.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep and make sure your nutrition is in check.
    People do not get huge on accident.

Lift, Eat, Rest!

Reps Ginger Kids on sight.

Originally Posted by patcazza View Post
    are you eating too soon before your workout? i know that if i have something within an hour of hitting the gym i usually feel pretty sick.
    I usually eat about 30 mins before my workout. Sometimes I eat right before though. I don't ever feel sick though. Just lazy and tired sometimes.

Originally Posted by Cy4 View Post
    How many sets for each exercise?

Edit: Just noticed qeynos asked too.
    Sorry, I do 3 sets for every exercise. It seems a lot of you think the routine isn't very good. I'll read the stickies for sure but how do you tell good routines from bad ones?

Originally Posted by qeynos View Post
    # sets?

btw the routine kind of looks like garbage, i dont know what your goal is tho
    3 sets each. Goal is bulk

Sorry, I do 3 sets for every exercise. It seems a lot of you think the routine isn't very good. I'll read the stickies for sure but how do you tell good routines from bad ones?
    well

when they have 6 sets for biceps and no deadlifts they are garbage

i think a routine with 24/30 sets in 1 day is garbage, and ones that hit the same muscle group too many times that it just fatigues you and ****s up your later lifts

plus the rep range isn't gonna build muscle

all pros or starting strength is a lot better than the routine
    a fullbody routine that has just 1 set and 2-3x a week is also better than this routine
    Last edited by qeynos; 02-25-2012 at 08:57 PM.

I think I have now found a much better routine. I got this from another website.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...ut.html?page=1

Anyone think it looks decent?

nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10) nakolody is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone think it looks decent?[/QUOTE]

Depending on your lifting stats that may or may not be the best routine for you. If you squat 400 lbs, and it takes you five days to recover from it then yea. But if your lifting numbers are relatively low (i.e. Squat < 225 lbs, unable to bench your body weight), you probably can make better progress on a program that's design to increase your strength and muscle (more than likely a full body routine, three times a week, although an upper/lower routine works too). In a very general sense of the word Novices benefit more from a full body work out three times a week, as oppose to hitting once major muscle group once a week (major as in: chest, back, and legs). The definition novice has nothing to do with years working out in the gym, but how much a person can lift. Just my 2 cents.

I think I have now found a much better routine. I got this from another website.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...ut.html?page=1

Anyone think it looks decent?
    nope