Thread: Cold Cuts diet

jacobin1949 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cold Cuts diet

I'm thinking of going on a diet of nothing but cold cuts. I figure I can spend about $35 a week so thats about a pound of meat a day. that should keep me full and give me calories, fat and protein for weight training and aerobics. Except for creatine carbs will be eliminated. I dont know thats about 5 slices of meat each meal hope it enough to keep me full.

I was orignially thinking of an all nuts diet. But they are incredibly high in fat, calories and arent great 4 carbs.
    Maybe beef jerky or canned fish/meat?

Anyone know cheap meat/fish products cheaper than cold cuts?

dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500) dsizzle is not very helpful. (-500)
    why do you need a gimmick diet?

learn how to eat right man

toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) toasty will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    canned tuna, large quantities of chicken breast. wouldn't suggest either diet to be honest. why not just eat a balance of both? eating nothing but those will cause you to hate the foods you love
    PSU

TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheScientist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    dude please dont do this, cold cuts depending on which you buy are full of processed substances and are often high in fat and cholesterol, why not just stick to a healthy 40/40/20 breakdown monitoring what you eat? Its alot easier to maintain in the long term, rather than a all coldcuts diet.

user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So wait. You are going to go on a nothing-but-cold cuts, minimal carb diet? Are you going to get any carbs at all? That's not the best idea man. Why cold cuts?
    On the individual:

His responses grow intelligent, or gain meaning, simply because he lives and acts in a medium of accepted meanings and values. Through social intercourse, through sharing in the activities embodying beliefs, he gradually acquires a mind of his own. The conception of mind as a purely isolated possession of the self is at the very antipodes of the truth.

- John Dewey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher.

~Ambrose Bierce

blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000) blastdoors is just really nice. (+1000)
    Someone likes sodium...

Diet and Exercise

One of the problems of modern living is the way in which we have departed from the things we did as we evolved. Diet is one of those things, and I believe that diet and the lack of the right exercise are the main reasons for the widespead prevalence of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
    I have always liked meat the best of all foods, and as a child I never wanted to eat my vegetables, other than the usual starchy things like bread and potatoes. As I grew out of my teens my weight suddenly shot up from 125 pounds to 186 in about six months. I was out on my own and trying to eat on the cheap, which naturally resulted in a rather carbohydrate-rich diet. (I once tried vegetarianism for about 6 months, but I felt like my body was dying, so I abandoned that trip). I was absolutely freaked at the sight of my stomach lying on the bed next to me. I went on restricted calories and lost weight down to about 150, but it was very difficult to get below that. When I became interested in ballet, and started to take classes, I found the extra weight a liability, but was unable to lose and still eat enough to have the energy for the strenuous exertions of ballet. I think that there are very few types of athletic activities with the demands of ballet training.

One day I picked up a magazine, since defunct, called Collier's, and there was an article about a way to control one's weight through diet, and the diet was one high in fat and low in carbs. The article was a review of a book titled Eat Fat and Grow Slim by an English physician, Dr. Richard Macarness. I was able to locate a copy of the book and found the theory sounded right, as I had always felt that veggies, which are almost entirely carbohydrates, weren't really food, at least not in the sense that meat was. As a kid I had the idea that we ate veggies because meat was expensive and rationed (which it was during the war).

Eat Fat and Grow Slim had as its basis the writings of an arctic explorer and anthropologist Vilhalmur Stefansson. Macarness was also familiar with the traditional "cure" for diabetes, which was to place the patient on a diet with virtually no carbohydrates. If there are no carbs in the diet, the body doesn't need the ability to make insulin, so the disease was no bother (other than the discomfort of the dietary discipline). Since we did not evolve eating carbs in the modern constant-intake fashion, our pancreas is subject to failure from over work, and perhaps it is sometimes destroyed by our own immune system due to the damage the constant flow of insulin does to the blood vessels. Remember the immune system is there to find and destroy the source of damage to our body. Diabetics, once the pancreas quits, suffer severe and rapid damage to their bodies from the high levels that injected insulin produces. Macarness also referred to a diet known as the "Blanding diet" used traditionally for the reduction in weight of very obese people. I went out and bought Stef's book and read it with growing excitement. The year was 1958....

The book by Stefansson was in its third edition in 1961, the date on the copy I now have, and this may have been the end of the publishing run, for I have not seen any copies later than this. The title is The Fat of the Land. An earlier version of the tale is called Not by Bread Alone. The Macmillan company has gone though a lot of changes since the time of the publication, and now no one at the firm seems to know anything about the book. Recently I have heard that there is a doctor in Hollywood who is putting entertainment people on this basic meat diet and getting phenomenal results in rapid weight reduction. The nice thing about this diet is that the human body does not seem to be able to store fat that is eaten in the food, so the fat you eat must be burned up. On the other hand, the body is totally unable to directly burn carbohydrates for energy, but must first convert them to fatty acids. (Guess where most of this fatty acid winds up!)

This information seems to have gotten lost in the translation, as many people think that carbs are "energy food". Nothing could be further from the truth, but since insulin is highly simulating, the insulin rush feels like "energy" to the person who has just taken in some sugar. Actually the insulin stimulates all the fat storage cells in your body as well as your brain and the little buggers start to work overtime to remove the excess glucose from the blood as quickly as they can. It is one of the ironies of life that glucose, required by the brain in small, but constant amounts, should be deadly poisonous at a higher level! (Diabetic coma).

The female hormones seem cause a strong craving for carbs, as the female body isn't fertile without a layer of fat. This makes this diet very hard for women to follow. Traditionally the women are the gatherers of fruits and (starchy) roots, while the men are the hunters. This is shown today in the different ways men and women go about buying things. The gals "shop" which is a trip through the entire store or mall in search of things to buy. They may not actually buy (gather) anything. The guys on the other hand know what they are after, and then seek it out (hunts it down) and buys it, usually then taking it home right away.

The meat diet in its purest form is similar to the diet of the stone age Eskimo, and contains no vegetables at all. That this is a healthy diet is not in dispute as the Eskimo, most of whom no longer are living the traditional life, never showed any signs of deficiencies. I have eaten this way for 39 years, perhaps not all those years as strictly as I should have, but my body is very much like it was when I was 30, about 2 inches thicker in the waist, but I don't have the kind of body that others my age have.

One of the things which we as hunters/carnivores have as a very real lifestyle requirement, is a high degree of physical activity. As hunters we had to be fit to chase and overcome our prey. Today many people do not continue a good exercise routine past teenage years. Almost all kids are almost excessively active, it is the natural thing to do, you must learn to be lazy, and I assure you the societal pressures are there to do just that. I was very active as a kid, and then when at 23 I started on with ballet, I found that the exercise was the only thing that kept my head clear. I later was into running and continued dance in various forms (good Ol' Grateful Dead!). Eventually I realized that it wasn't enough, that there had to be a more strenuous, challenging sort of physical activity in the mix, as I was losing strength and didn't like the way I looked. I was 55.

I don't think that the weight training was as hard to do at the beginning as the ballet was, but so much time had passed that I could be mistaken. Anyway the weights were HARD work at first, (and boy, were my joints and muscles sore!) but the results were fantastic. After the first few months had passed I felt great, better than I had in years. I had all sorts of people tell me things like: "you can't grow muscles after 40" (a doctor said this!). "Don't push yourself too hard, you're not a kid anymore." Then there were the guys who for some indecipherable reason were convinced that you couldn't possibly grow any muscles if you didn't eat a lot of carbs (they were fat, of course - well muscled, but fat). When I started to grow more muscles than I had ever in my life had, and pretty quickly at that, the voices were silent. I cannot understand why a muscle, which is almost purely protein, should need carbohydrates to grow, and in fact it doesn't. It does, however need fats, so if there isn't enough of them you are in trouble. Straight protein (no carbs, no fat) is not good for you, and in fact can prove quite toxic. I recommend no more than 5 grams a day of carbs, more than that seems to defeat the fat-burning stimulation of the diet.

At this point I should say something about fats. There are basically three types of fatty acids, saturated, which are the principle kind you have in your body; monounsaturated, like linoleic found in macadamia nut oil and olive oil; and the polyunsaturated kind, found in a lot of vegetable oils. These three types of fatty acids are combined (esterified) with glycerine in nature to form triglycerides, but the ones in your body fat will be the saturated kind, since that is what your body synthesizes. The best type for fuel is the saturated kind, it burns clean, not surprising since this is the kind that you are carrying around with you. There are some of the so-called Omega-3 fatty acids in all animal fat, not only in fish. The monos are good, in fact there are health benefits from having a certain amount of them in your diet. The dangerous ones are the polys. Polyunsaturated fatty acids have double bonds in the carbon chain which oxidize to form organic peroxides. These compounds are the most highly reactive of the so called "free radicals" which are associated with aging of the skin and other organs. The reason many people are taking high doses of vitamin C and E is to try to neutralize the free radicals. The joke is that they are probably creating the radicals faster than they can destroy them by consuming polyunsaturated oils in their diet.

There is a remarkable book by Uffe Ravnskov, a scientist-sceptic who has compiled a lot of information on the fat and cholestrol vs good health controversy. The books' title is "The Cholesterol Myths", and it is available through Amazon.com if not at your local bookseller. It is very enlightening, and unlike many of its genre, it has extensive references you can check. As you would guess from my mentioning it, he says fat is good for you and cholesterol has naught to do with heart disease.

There are still a lot of people who will tell you that you must "replenish" the glycogen in your muscles after exercise, even though the most rigorous experiments indicate that the glycogen levels in the muscles don't change during exercise. In fact the experiments show that the source of energy for muscular contractions is free fatty acids in a protein complex (acetylcarnitine), which is the energy source for the translation of the adenosine diphosphate back to triphosphate. The enzymes used in the muscles as they work don't originate there, but come from the liver, a good reason not to consume alcohol, which dramatically reduces the liver's ability to supply these enzymes. I have added nearly 30 pounds of muscles to my body in the last 7 years, no too bad for an old dog. You see most older guys in the gym using light weights, and they don't look so great. I didn't believe that I had to treat my self any differently at my age than anyone else. I found that I needed to have a longer period between workouts to recover, but the exercises needed to be done with the same intensity as everyone else. I currently take two days off between workouts and I try to hold the workouts down to around an hour each time (exclusive of the aerobic warm up, which is necessary to bring the liver online and provide cardiovascular health..

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jacobin1949 View Post
    Ummm.... I think you are missing the boat... UNprocessed meat != Processed meat. The former being the preferred kind.

In the spirit of full disclosure ...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16361276
    Sodium nitrite helps prevent the growth of Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism in humans and is also used alone or in conjunction with sodium nitrate as a color fixative in cured meat and poultry products (bologna, hot dogs, bacon). During the cooking process, nitrites combine with amines naturally present in meat to form carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds. It is also suspected that nitrites can combine with amines in the human stomach to form N-nitroso compounds. These compounds are known carcinogens and have been associated with cancer of the oral cavity, urinary bladder, eso****us, stomach and brain.

Research in Sweden found that Swedes who ate on average three ounces of processed meat each day had a 15 percent greater chance of developing stomach cancer than those who consumed two ounces or less. Results of a study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and the University of Southern California reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (2005;97:1458-65) of 190,000 people, ages 45 to 75, for seven years state that those who ate the most processed meat (bacon, ham, cold cuts) had a 68% higher risk of pancreatic cancer than those who ate the least. ?Most? was defined as at least 0.6 ounce processed meat, one ounce beef or 0.3 ounce pork per 1,000 calories consumed.

Dieticians suggest that you can help reduce the possible cancer-causing effects of sodium nitrite by consuming protective antioxidants before meals, such as vitamin C and vitamin E. But, remember, no vitamin offers 100% protection.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Unleash Your Beast! Super Scoop's Avatar
    Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Super Scoop has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This should be interesting. You got to run a log of this with before and after pictures. I think I may have heard of everything. A cold cut diet. You should look for a rival company of Subway, like Jared.
    Beast Sports Nutrition Representative
    "Unleash your Beast!"
    www.beastsports.com
    superscoop@BeastSports.com

Our Bodybuilding.com Store Page:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/beast/beast.htm

Beast Sports Nutrition: Past, Present, and Future
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=96207801#post96207801

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion only. It does not represent the official opinion of Beast Sports and should not be taken as medical advice.

drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drifterswank has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, post that up in the keto subforum. it's a good read, but i'm not sure there are many people here that would agree to you.

i do think there is too much sodium content in cold cuts meat though
    99% fat free??? The only thing I want fat free is the missus!!!!
    Keto-er for life

soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) soyse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You might as well go on Atkins, or try keto

Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Honestly, when I see someone's post start with "I'm going to eat nothing but...." I think it's a bad idea. You need a vareity of things. I lost a 121 pounds. Yes, I had cold cuts. Not daily, but weekly for sure. I just don't think of them as a staple.

But....good luck to you.

stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10) stevenapryor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    With the types of filler they put in meats now, I'd avoid eating high volumes of processed meats to begin with.

Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ignoring everything else wrong with this diet, 1 lb of turkey breast is 5-600 calories?

Try 4 lbs of meat a day. (Unless you're eating ****ty meats like salami...in which case, too many nitrates)

papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm thinking of going on a diet of nothing but cold cuts. I figure I can spend about $35 a week so thats about a pound of meat a day. that should keep me full and give me calories, fat and protein for weight training and aerobics. Except for creatine carbs will be eliminated. I dont know thats about 5 slices of meat each meal hope it enough to keep me full.
    Creatine monohydrate has no carbs.

Since January I have went from 190 lbs to 142 lbs. Im currently on a fast to cure a cold. I found some real cheap Cotta salami that is like $1 a lb. So i can live on under $4 a day. my cold is dying down so tomorrow I'll try experimenting with the salami diet and do some light weight lifting and maybe short light run.

I'll eat 2 packages a day. 16 slices. 60 calories each. So thats over 2000 calories a day. But near zero carbs. Only exception is the creatine drink which is packed with carbs.

jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10) jessekib is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good luck on your journey............to nowhere.

Dude these guys are telling you what you should be doing and why its bad to go on these "im gonna eat nothing but....... diets" In the bodybuilding community (which is what forums your on btw) A balanced diet with a variety of foods is not only easy but ideal. Listen to these experienced guys and you will be far better off.

Maybe im missing your point and if i am i apoligize, Maybe your doing keto or atkins or something of that nature. but cutting carbs out completly will leave you drained and feeling ****ty. CARBS ARE OUR FRIENDS!!!!!!
    OBESSION IS A WORD THE LAZY USE TO DESCRIBE DEDICATED!

WHO DAT!!!!

papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Since January I have went from 190 lbs to 142 lbs. Im currently on a fast to cure a cold. I found some real cheap Cotta salami that is like $1 a lb. So i can live on under $4 a day. my cold is dying down so tomorrow I'll try experimenting with the salami diet and do some light weight lifting and maybe short light run.

I'll eat 2 packages a day. 16 slices. 60 calories each. So thats over 2000 calories a day. But near zero carbs. Only exception is the creatine drink which is packed with carbs.
    If you are willing to be committed to a diet, do one that ... works. Check out the Derek Charlebois contest prep section and check out the variety of cutting diets that they have, in convienent e-book form.

And, why don't you attain some creatine monohydrate. No carbs, no fillers, just creatine. What are you using now?