Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Switching my career to personal training, need some advice

Hello,

I have just decided to switch my career to being a personal trainer/wellness & fitness coach and I was just hoping that I could get some input from some experienced trainers. First a little background about myself...I am 25 and have been working out since I was 15 because of high school football. I've kind of fallen out of the habit of working out lately due to the pressures of work and that is part of the reason why I want to switch fields. When I started my freshmen year in college I had in mind majoring in kinesiology and being a personal trainer, but unfortunately I listed to money and switched my major to accounting. After six years in school I graduated with honors and a BBA and Master's in business/accounting. I took a full time job at the largest accounting firm in the world and even though the pay was great I hated the job...bottom line was I didn't care about my work at all and it didn't feel meaningful. So I quit that job about a month and a half ago and have since been thinking about all my options.

I have decided that I want to go into health & fitness for a number of reasons: throughout my life I have always been at my best (just feel so much better) when I work out consistently; once I get back into it I am really passionate not just about working out but also nutrition; I want to do a job that I truly love and I'm passionate about; and lastly I cannot think of a better and more personally fulfilling job than helping people get in better shape and feel better.

Anyway I am planning on ordering my ACE review course and get ACE certified for personal training as soon as possible (plan to start studying on Jan 2). After that I'll probably get the health coach certification too. I also want to get some type of nutrition certification and possibly go back to school at some point (longer-term) and take more psychology classes to better understand how to motivate clients. For now I'm probably going to start applying at gyms and health clubs even if it's in a more administrative position just so I can get my foot in the door, besides, my degree should help me. I have also gotten in touch with my friend's dad who is the CEO of a few YMCA's in Illinois and I'll be talking to him after the new year.

What do you guys think about my situation? What should I do or what would be the best way to make this transition? Should I worry about my lack of a college degree in a health-related field (although I have spent countless hours on this forum in the past and I've read numerous nutrition and workout books) or would having my business degree actually play out to my favor when it comes time to run my own business?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have decided that I'm going to do this, I just need to figure out the best way to transition into the field and mitigate the financial hardship that I'm fully prepared to endure in the meantime.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BadgerDave View Post
    I've kind of fallen out of the habit of working out lately due to the pressures of work and that is part of the reason why I want to switch fields.
    This will continue if you change to being a PT; 80% of PT happens from 6-9am and 6-9pm, you'll be getting up early and staying up late, running around doing household stuff in between PT, so the work-training clash will continue. All that will change is that there'll be less travel from work to gym as you'll be working in a gym, though many trainers prefer to work out at a different gym so nothing changes! The work-training clash, like any pair of competing priorities in life, is just something that has to be managed.

What do you guys think about my situation? What should I do or what would be the best way to make this transition? Should I worry about my lack of a college degree in a health-related field (although I have spent countless hours on this forum in the past and I've read numerous nutrition and workout books) or would having my business degree actually play out to my favor when it comes time to run my own business?
    You don't need a university degree to be a PT. 90% of the job is teaching correct movement to beginners. To do that you need to understand correct movement, and you need some basic musculoskeletal anatomy - the three muscles of the hamstrings, their origins and insertions and thus actions, etc. Thirdly you need some communication skills, to help you demonstrate competence, establish trust and rapport.

I imagine a business degree would help in becoming self-employed, I work for someone else so others will be able to advise on that better.

BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for your input Kyle. You're exactly right about the work hours and I have considered this. Still a step up from working 70-80 hours a week in public accounting sitting behind a desk. Besides, being a PT would be enough motivation to stay in shape, I've always believed in leadership by example. Regarding anatomy, I did take AP anatomy back in high school and I know that the ACE review covers anatomy basics for fitness, though I might eventually enroll in additional anatomy courses at my local community college.

Honestly my biggest concern at this point is getting my foot in the door. I'm willing to go through all the classes/learning that I need to to be successful.

ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've kind of fallen out of the habit of working out lately due to the pressures of work
    I'm going to stop right there and say you will be a terrible PT. How can you possibly believe you are qualified and able to motivate others, when you can't even self-motivate? Spend a few years getting your own house in order first. I work 60 hours/week - minimum - and I get my workouts in every single day, on time and on schedule. And believe me, when I was doing 2-a-days it meant getting up at 4am for a brutal workout, then going to work for 12 hours, and coming home - not to relax and unwind, but to do another brutal workout. And all I had to look forward to the next day - was the exact same thing.

No, just no. I really can't stand the local gym PT-types that are there just punching the time card (so to speak). And that sounds like where you are headed. You're looking at fitness as a series of classes to take. That isn't fitness - that's just being a pencil-pusher in a different job setting.
    100% Raw / Natural
    July 2009 - 273 pounds - PL Total: 540
    July 2010 - 255 pounds - PL Total: 775
    July 2011 - 221 pounds - PL Total: 1065
    July 2012 - 228 pounds - PL Total: 1240

Latest physical test results - rested heart rate of 48 bpm

COTA/SDI - MMA Fighter - Semper Fi
    ***reps back***

Originally Posted by ArizonaEli View Post
    I'm going to stop right there and say you will be a terrible PT. How can you possibly believe you are qualified and able to motivate others, when you can't even self-motivate? Spend a few years getting your own house in order first. I work 60 hours/week - minimum - and I get my workouts in every single day, on time and on schedule. And believe me, when I was doing 2-a-days it meant getting up at 4am for a brutal workout, then going to work for 12 hours, and coming home - not to relax and unwind, but to do another brutal workout. And all I had to look forward to the next day - was the exact same thing.

No, just no. I really can't stand the local gym PT-types that are there just punching the time card (so to speak). And that sounds like where you are headed. You're looking at fitness as a series of classes to take. That isn't fitness - that's just being a pencil-pusher in a different job setting.
    Ok maybe I said it wrong when I said that I've kind of fallen out of the habit of working out. I've still found a way to stay fit and eat well, I've just backed off from full-on bodybuilding type workouts 6 days a week that I used to do. While I understand why you would have said that, I ask that you not judge me and jump to a conclusion that I'd be a "pencil-pusher" based on that. I'm not making excuses, but I averaged 80 hours a week in public accounting and always at hotels which made it that much tougher. I didn't even feel like myself during that time due to having backed out from working out as much as I used to, which was unacceptable to me in and it's why I'm not only going back to it, but trying to make it my career. So please don't question my dedication or passion, I just had to sort a few things out first and see where my true priorities lied in life (passion for fitness vs corporate type job with financial security).

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just check out the guys below, as if anyone would want to be trained by some fat fck who obviously doesn't train himself. What would these guys know?

Thanks Eli, we've only heard "ZOMG, look at all the fat trainers out there lolz!" only three or four thousand times before on this forum. Please tell us again.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Just check out the guys below, as if anyone would want to be trained by some fat fck who obviously doesn't train himself. What would these guys know?
    Well, I'm far from a fat **** who doesn't train himself, as I said before, I still managed to stay active enough to stay in good shape and healthy, I just had to figure out where my priorities in life lied first. I have no doubt about my motivation and passion to stay fit and help others do the same - I don't want to be a PT because it's a "fun" job, I want to be a PT because it's something I love, very much part of my life (as I felt out of tune when I cut back) and I want to inspire and help others to do the same.

Anyway, any more advice as far as how to get my foot in the door? I've talked to people at my gym but I want to get as much knowledge and advice as possible. I also just started reading this book (http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Gui.../dp/1598692275). Honestly, I can't remember the last time that I felt this excited about something work-related.

I didn't say you were a fat fck. The point is, it wouldn't matter if you were. Nobody cares. Potential clients don't care what results you got for yourself, they care what results your clients got.

schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I made almost the same transition. I served/bartended through school, got an accounting job with the government, got fat and hated life and quit 2 years later. Went back to bartending and serving until I got my NASM and a job. I'd recommend trying for a serving job if you could; great customer service skills, better hours, good pay and more freedom to study but I know that isn't likely. Just suck it up during death season, pass your ace, get a job and happily turn in your two weeks.

Plenty of "big" trainers have 4 year degrees or no degrees in health and fitness and are doing more than fine.
    Lift big, get skinny. Lift big, get big
    Lift-Big.com

Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    I made almost the same transition. I served/bartended through school, got an accounting job with the government, got fat and hated life and quit 2 years later. Went back to bartending and serving until I got my NASM and a job. I'd recommend trying for a serving job if you could; great customer service skills, better hours, good pay and more freedom to study but I know that isn't likely. Just suck it up during death season, pass your ace, get a job and happily turn in your two weeks.

Plenty of "big" trainers have 4 year degrees or no degrees in health and fitness and are doing more than fine.
    Thank you schmedes. I have thought about a serving job since I have been a server before, though I figured I'd first try with health clubs (hence contacting my friend's dad CEO of a few YMCAs). It sounds as if getting certified and having good client relationship skills are way more important than any four year degree so that's good.

Kyle, I see what you mean. By the way, I just noticed your signature...."personal training is about getting the first 50%"...so true and interesting to think about. That's why I want to eventually go back to school and take more advanced psychology classes. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like that's almost as important if not more than the actual exercise science.

I don't think you need advanced psychology to help PT clients. Ordinary empathy and an open mind will do it. People have different personalities, which are reflected in the sorts of training they enjoy. Some people want to be smashed, some want more explanation and perfection of technique, and so on.

SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just my two cents but ever since I owned my own gyms ice never worked out less. Hours are killer and there's always something more productive to be doing. Owning a or business is just like any business, time consuming if you wan it successful.
    http://sagefit.wordpress.com/
    Becoming A Success In The World Of Fitness
    Learn how to make a six figure salary in the world of fitness. Tips for personal trainers, fitness business owners and more.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

Owner of Sage: Exclusive Fitness Center in Whitestone, NY and Sage Studios in Astoria, NY.
    www.sagefit.com

Originally Posted by SageFit View Post
    Just my two cents but ever since I owned my own gyms ice never worked out less. Hours are killer and there's always something more productive to be doing. Owning a or business is just like any business, time consuming if you wan it successful.
    Absolutely true. At least you own a business that you're passionate about and really care about as opposed to doing it just for the money.

Kyle - Thank you for your input again and good points. I know you don't need advanced psychology, but it's something I'd like to pursue eventually. Understanding human behavior better can't hurt though

SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) SageFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Absolutely true. At least you own a business that you're passionate about and really care about as opposed to doing it just for the money.

Kyle - Thank you for your input again and good points. I know you don't need advanced psychology, but it's something I'd like to pursue eventually. Understanding human behavior better can't hurt though
    Excuse the retard typing. Doin this on my phone
    Learn how to make a six figure salary in the world of fitness. Tips for personal trainers, fitness business owners and more.

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

Owner of Sage: Exclusive Fitness Center in Whitestone, NY and Sage Studios in Astoria, NY.
    www.sagefit.com

On a separate note I'm planning to order my review materials tomorrow or Wednesday. But after a simple search for "ACE" and "NASM" in this forum I'm questioning which way to go. Seems like they're both great nationally-recognized certifications. So far it seems as if many people here prefer NASM or NSCA. It seems like gyms prefer NASM too (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm actually starting to lean towards NASM now because it seems like they structure their prep better. I'm going to keep doing some research on this forum since I know this has already been debated a lot, but if anyone has an opinion on this topic feel free to share.

On a separate note I'm planning to order my review materials tomorrow or Wednesday. But after a simple search for "ACE" and "NASM" in this forum I'm questioning which way to go. Seems like they're both great nationally-recognized certifications. So far it seems as if many people here prefer NASM or NSCA. It seems like gyms prefer NASM too (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm actually starting to lean towards NASM now because it seems like they structure their prep better. I'm going to keep doing some research on this forum since I know this has already been debated a lot, but if anyone has an opinion on this topic feel free to share.
    Acsm or nasm. Sports medicine sounds really good and both highly regarded

BS Exercise Physiology
    BS Nutrition
    ACSM Certified PT

www.sagefit.com

ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Thanks Eli, we've only heard "ZOMG, look at all the fat trainers out there lolz!" only three or four thousand times before on this forum. Please tell us again.
    Who called him fat, Mr. Straw Man? I don't engage in your type of bully-posting. He asked for opinions, I gave him an on-point reply.

Ok maybe I said it wrong when I said that I've kind of fallen out of the habit of working out. I've still found a way to stay fit and eat well, I've just backed off from full-on bodybuilding type workouts 6 days a week that I used to do. I just had to sort a few things out first and see where my true priorities lied in life (passion for fitness vs corporate type job with financial security).
    That was sort of my point. If the passion is in you, it's in you. You get up at 4am, and you go again at 11pm. Whatever it takes - not because you want to, but because you need to. It doesn't seem like it's in you. To me anyway. But you'll do whatever you want and I wish you the best.
    Last edited by ArizonaEli; 12-24-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    100% Raw / Natural

***reps back***

Originally Posted by ArizonaEli View Post
    That was sort of my point. If the passion is in you, it's in you. You get up at 4am, and you go again at 11pm. Whatever it takes - not because you want to, but because you need to. It doesn't seem like it's in you. To me anyway. But you'll do whatever you want and I wish you the best.
    Thanks Eli, I do see where you're coming from. I actually did get up at 4:30 to go workout for a while when I was working in Chicago but excess travel and hours made it too hard to keep up. Anyway I'm not trying to change your opinion, but I will use that as motivation.

Got my NASM materials ordered now. Could not be more excited about this switch!

Thanks Eli... Got my NASM materials ordered now. Could not be more excited about this switch!
    Repped for being a good sport. My GF threatened to break up with me over my quest to fight in a sanctioned cage/MMA event - as I am 38 and have no prior experience (no wrestling, boxing, anything in my background). It just motivated me to train harder. That's what I mean about desire - if it's in you, you'll take the criticism and use it to make yourself better.
    100% Raw / Natural

***reps back***

akotz15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This isn't going to help you, but I'm kind of glad I ran into this thread. Thinking about switching my career path as a major in accounting (in the middle of my junior year right now) to a PT as well. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who originally thought money was everything and then came to realize doing what you love may be more important after all

MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MAC250 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No intention of thread jacking but,

I'm good friends with the head personal trainer at my gym. He's helped me a lot to get in shape and stronger and asked if i would be interested in being his assistant working over the summer and helping out set up, run, instruct, and clean up from his class personal training system.

Now long term i want to try to work as a PT in college as a part time job at the school gym or local gym and do that instead of typical boring part time jobs.

MY QUESTION IS: Would NSCF be a reputable certification obtain this summer since it has no prerequisites?

I have no question I will be capable of learning the info and applying it to myself and clients.
    I should run a marathon backwards so I can see what second place looks like -
    Royce da 5'9

Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm thinking about switching my career path as well. I'm looking to get into the personal training field. Working out is becoming my passion that is changing my life and I would like to help others realize this. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I know they say you shouldn't choose a career for the money (which I'm not), but money is a factor in all career choices. I've been reading up all over for information in regards to earning potential. From what I've gathered it really all depends on your knowledge. Any insight for this?

2. I'm looking to start school at NPTI that is near me. It looks like it is the way to go as far as getting my foot in the door. How credible do you think this schooling is?

Thank you in advance!

Maynard311862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maynard311862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Forgive me if I repeat anything that was already mentioned.. but after the dig about overweight trainers and lack of motivation to work out, I kind of stopped reading other people's posts.

I'm actually overweight still. I was a line cook for 7 years at Chili's. I was about 300 pounds and I hated it. I hated myself as well. So I decided to do something. I started eating healthier and I exercised 5-6 times a week and I lost 100 pounds. I went from 300 pounds to 179.

I was certified in August and was hired Oct. 1st. I was chosen before other people because of my NASM cert.. so they are a reputable company. (I have a referral card for you if you'd like that will give you 20% if you decide to go with them btw.)

SINCE I DECIDED TO BECOME A TRAINER..

I have gained back about 35 pounds. I was hired during a very slow season, and my gym was without a general manager for 3 months, so I couldn't even get commission on sales, new clients, or anything else needed to survive in this field.

With that being said.. one thing with commercial gyms is that you only get paid PER SESSION. No hourly wage. Sometimes I have clients at 6am and 6:30 am. My next clients are at 8, 8:30, and 9. From there, my clients book anywhere between 10, 11 and 12. I don't get paid for being at the gym from 6-noon, i only get paid for the actual sessions. Just something to prepare yourself for.

Furthermore, I have had trouble motivating myself to work out. My gym is a half hour away. If my first client is at 6am, I'm up at 4:30 to make sure I have time to eat and prepare myself and get to the gym before my client does. Sometimes my last client is from 7:30pm - 8. Then I'm home around 9 and back up early again. It's mentally draining, as well as physically.

As for not wanting to work out in the gym that I work at, I felt ashamed for feeling that way, but after seeing the percentage of trainers that feel the same way, I feel a little bit better. It just seems like ALL eyes are on me when I work out. I do an exercise, I look up and I have 6 pairs of eyes on me. Also, members will come up and try to talk to you, ask you questions, and just converse with you. I treat them all excellent and go out of my way to help (even stopping my exercise to show them proper technique and introduce something new to them) but it definitely affects your workout.

Another thing, is that I am seriously financially strapped. Like I said, I didn't have a GM so I couldn't obtain new clients. I've been trying to survive on the same handful of clients that I took over when the last trainer left. Like I said, we are paid per session, and during the week of Christmas I had 5 clients on vacation. There goes my paycheck. That makes eating healthy EXTREMELY hard. I do my best.. I keep granola bars, protein bars/shakes, nuts, and fruit around 0e at all times but it's very hard to go grocery shopping for healthy food on my budget.

Understand, this is just the start of my career. I have a new GM who is incredible and we both make sales now. With New Year's resolutions, and the rapport I've built with existing gym members, I am 150% positive that things are going to turn around sooner than later. But I wanted to be fair and mentally prepare you for some of the things you will encounter.

During this down time, I've done exactly what you're thinking of doing. I have gotten my Continued Education Units for the year. I already have 2.5. I took NASM's weight loss specialist course, as well as a few other CEU's for group fitness, program design, stretching for athletes before exercise, etc.

This field is tricky when you first start out. Until you get situated and have a solid client base, you can expect a rough transition while you adjust to the new schedule, fitting a workout in, adjusting your diet and meal times, things like that.

It WILL work itself out tho. If you really want to do it, do it man. It's a lot of fun, I love what I do for a living, I love my clients and I plan on doing this for plenty of years to come.

This is just my 2 cents, so I'd appreciate it if the "walk in the gym with a gallon of fruit punch creatine, eat 7,000 calorie a day, squat 500 pounds" trainers don't bash my post.

I just wanted to share my experience so you know what to expect, as nobody prepared me for the transition.

I didn't have a GM so I couldn't obtain new clients.
    You can't get your own? If someone walks up and asks for training, you're supposed to say "see the GM"? Or...?

Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000) Suprabuc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Maynard311862 View Post
    Forgive me if I repeat anything that was already mentioned.. but after the dig about overweight trainers and lack of motivation to work out, I kind of stopped reading other people's posts.

I'm actually overweight still. I was a line cook for 7 years at Chili's. I was about 300 pounds and I hated it. I hated myself as well. So I decided to do something. I started eating healthier and I exercised 5-6 times a week and I lost 100 pounds. I went from 300 pounds to 179.

I was certified in August and was hired Oct. 1st. I was chosen before other people because of my NASM cert.. so they are a reputable company. (I have a referral card for you if you'd like that will give you 20% if you decide to go with them btw.)

SINCE I DECIDED TO BECOME A TRAINER..

I have gained back about 35 pounds. I was hired during a very slow season, and my gym was without a general manager for 3 months, so I couldn't even get commission on sales, new clients, or anything else needed to survive in this field.

With that being said.. one thing with commercial gyms is that you only get paid PER SESSION. No hourly wage. Sometimes I have clients at 6am and 6:30 am. My next clients are at 8, 8:30, and 9. From there, my clients book anywhere between 10, 11 and 12. I don't get paid for being at the gym from 6-noon, i only get paid for the actual sessions. Just something to prepare yourself for.

Furthermore, I have had trouble motivating myself to work out. My gym is a half hour away. If my first client is at 6am, I'm up at 4:30 to make sure I have time to eat and prepare myself and get to the gym before my client does. Sometimes my last client is from 7:30pm - 8. Then I'm home around 9 and back up early again. It's mentally draining, as well as physically.

As for not wanting to work out in the gym that I work at, I felt ashamed for feeling that way, but after seeing the percentage of trainers that feel the same way, I feel a little bit better. It just seems like ALL eyes are on me when I work out. I do an exercise, I look up and I have 6 pairs of eyes on me. Also, members will come up and try to talk to you, ask you questions, and just converse with you. I treat them all excellent and go out of my way to help (even stopping my exercise to show them proper technique and introduce something new to them) but it definitely affects your workout.

Another thing, is that I am seriously financially strapped. Like I said, I didn't have a GM so I couldn't obtain new clients. I've been trying to survive on the same handful of clients that I took over when the last trainer left. Like I said, we are paid per session, and during the week of Christmas I had 5 clients on vacation. There goes my paycheck. That makes eating healthy EXTREMELY hard. I do my best.. I keep granola bars, protein bars/shakes, nuts, and fruit around 0e at all times but it's very hard to go grocery shopping for healthy food on my budget.

Understand, this is just the start of my career. I have a new GM who is incredible and we both make sales now. With New Year's resolutions, and the rapport I've built with existing gym members, I am 150% positive that things are going to turn around sooner than later. But I wanted to be fair and mentally prepare you for some of the things you will encounter.

During this down time, I've done exactly what you're thinking of doing. I have gotten my Continued Education Units for the year. I already have 2.5. I took NASM's weight loss specialist course, as well as a few other CEU's for group fitness, program design, stretching for athletes before exercise, etc.

This field is tricky when you first start out. Until you get situated and have a solid client base, you can expect a rough transition while you adjust to the new schedule, fitting a workout in, adjusting your diet and meal times, things like that.

It WILL work itself out tho. If you really want to do it, do it man. It's a lot of fun, I love what I do for a living, I love my clients and I plan on doing this for plenty of years to come.

This is just my 2 cents, so I'd appreciate it if the "walk in the gym with a gallon of fruit punch creatine, eat 7,000 calorie a day, squat 500 pounds" trainers don't bash my post.

I just wanted to share my experience so you know what to expect, as nobody prepared me for the transition.
    During this down time in which you were making this transition, did you have a second job to help you with bills or were you basically living a thin line? Thanks for the insight. You offered some great information.

Maynard311862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Maynard311862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The way my gym operates, only the General Manager, Assistant Manager, and District Manager can access payment information and put credit cards into the system. So at the time, I didn't have any manager.. so basically it was exactly like that. If any of my clients wanted to upgrade their package and get more sessions per month, or a new client wanted to purchase a package, I had to write it into my District Manager's schedule and he would come down a couple days later to meet with people. I don't want to say always, but I'm sure the majority of personal training sales are emotional buys. Once they leave and say they'll be back, there's a very high chance of them changing their minds.

As for surviving, I couldn't find work right away so I actually attended a bartending class for a couple weekends and got TIPS certified so I could try to bartend on the side for extra money, but I wasn't able to find work with that either. Unfortunately I don't live in a highly populated area at the time, so trying to find work is quite a challenge. I moved back in with the family. Thank God I have such a great family. I have had to borrow so much money since I started working at this job lol.

This is a tough trade. Unless you already train clients unofficially right now that are going to stay with you once you're certified, there's going to be a rough transition period. Maybe my story is somewhat unique, but nonetheless, until you have a solid client base there is going to be a lot of unpaid hours working the floor and building a rapport with the members of the gym.

Honestly, since you have a background in finance and business, I would try to find a personal training company that needs a GM or an AM. They usually pay salary plus commission. My GM works a minimum of 44 hours a week. That's enough to pay the bills and between noon and 4pm you could study for your CPT.

Good stuff. I currently work graveyard full time right now. I was thinking of doing the schooling and keeping this job until I build a good client base. Basically finding a healthy balance between the two.

Yeah it's hard man. I was working graveyard full time when I first started studying for my NASM cert. They cut my hours and eventually ended up letting me go about 2 months before my test. So I moved home, finished studying and got certified.

Like somebody else said though, it gets tough because most clients want to work out between 6 & 9 am, and then again between 6 & 9pm. So working full time graveyard is going to suck at first... when you get off of work and have clients right away, sleep, and then have clients again before work. Obviously you enjoy working out too, so this may pose a challenge for you as well. I'm not saying you can't do it. By all means, get money and make the transition if this is what you want to do for a career.

Just be prepared to work. Sometimes it gets discouraging. There's a VERY high burn-out rate for trainers, and I won't lie, I was burnt out for a little bit too. I'm ok now.. but first getting my foot into the door with no experience, no other trainers at my gym and no managers to turn to for answers.. I was kind of left dead in the water for a while there during a dead season.

I'm thankful for it tho. My very first day I had 8 clients back-to-back-to-back-to-back. I didn't have very well-kept records and there were no documentations of any illnesses or special conditions. One of my clients came in and was a victim of a stroke 2 years ago, had a torn rotator cuff injury in the past, arthritis, carpelltunnel, bursitis in the hip, and high blood pressure. 2 hours later I had a program drawn up for a VERY ACTIVE client which involved jumping rope, explosive lunges and walk-out pushups. Then she walks in and introduced herself and she was 8 and a half months pregnant lol.

Dude.. there's nooooo way to prepare for that kind of stuff. But most trainers don't have problems like that for at least 6-8 months. I had it all happen on the first day. I think it's great. I had a crash course on special populations, altering program design during a session, semi-private and partner sessions, plus building rapport with a pissed off client base on my first day.

Originally Posted by Maynard311862 View Post
    The way my gym operates, only the General Manager, Assistant Manager, and District Manager can access payment information and put credit cards into the system.
    That's utterly stupid. Processing payments is a thing that reception staff ought to be able to do. If nothing else, they should be able to simply fill in a form and have it processed later. So long as it happen by the next direct debit date it's all good.

This is one of the reasons the typical gym only recovers 95% of its costs annually, ie makes a 5% loss. It's amateur hour all-round.

Oh I completely agree. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Especially since I am the product you're selling. But my Personal Training company works out of a seperate gym. The only employees we have are me (the trainer) and my manager. That's it.