Thread: Insulin spike?

bige120 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bige120 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bige120 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Arrow Insulin spike?

I read somewhere that you should eat a piece of fruit to gt an insulin spike right after working out. What does this do?
    LIFT HARD

DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeanCorp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bige120 View Post
    I read somewhere that you should eat a piece of fruit to gt an insulin spike right after working out. What does this do?
    Insulin is a hormone that is produced in the pancreas and its sole job is to regulate the amount of sugar in the blood at any given time. People who are diabetic have trouble producing insulin (either too much or too little) and this leads to unsafe levels of blood sugar (again either too much or too little.)

Therefore by having fruit, after a workout, will help your muscles repair and grow.
    You rep me, I rep you :)

Raw Nats 2014 comeatmebro DDon1996's Avatar
    DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nothing.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159714881&p=1213186101

PowerliftingtoWIN.com

"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

-- Paracelsus

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Absoloutely nothing.

Overall kcals/macros more than dat PWO INSULIN SPIKE BREH

AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AlexRusso has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by bige120 View Post
    What Dean said is more or less correct regardless,good post DeanCorp,but anyways. The reason to spike insuline after a workout (you can spike it with anything you want to including candy is a very good one).
    Im going to go over everything,including what my dude Dean covered.
    Including questions and answers !

What is insulin?

It’s a hormone produced by the pancreas, which is necessary for glucose to be able to enter the cells of the body and be used for energy. Why is insulin important the human body? Well, read the definition. Anyway, on with the science. Whenever you ingest a carbohydrate or insulin, your body immediately releases insulin to regulate your body’s blood sugar levels. Insulin does not let your body drop its blood sugar levels too high or too low. Insulin also transports glucose to the muscle cells. Insulin is very anabolic because it allows for amino acids to be utilized much better and much faster in the human body.
    It is said by experts that the best time to get an insulin spike is after you workout. I totally agree; in fact, I think that when you wake up in the morning and immediately after your afternoon or evening workout are the best times of day to create an insulin spike. Your body is very sensitive in the morning when you first wake up because you just ₓre-charged₝ yourself with sleep, and it also very sensitive after a workout because of all the glucose that your body has used for energy during the intense session.
    How to Cause an Insulin Spike

OK, so how the hell do I create an insulin spike? Easy as butter baby. To create in insulin spike, simply eat foods with a high glycemic index. What this means is foods that have simple sugars in them. The higher the glycemic index that a food is, the more simple the sugars are and the quicker they enter your bloodstream. Studies have shown that insulin replenishes glycogen stores in the liver, stops protein breakdown after a workout, and increases amino acid uptake into the body. Well this all sounds fine and dandy for us athletes, but unfortunately, as everything, there is a downside to our good friend insulin.
    Insulin plays an extremely large role in storing fat. Whenever insulin is released, glucose stores are stored as glycogen in the liver for energy, as stated earlier. This is all gravy whenever your glycogen stores are depleted after a workout, but if they are full, and insulin is released, the extra glucose will be transported DIRECTLY into those fat cells of yours. And what happens when something enters the fat cells? If you don’t know, look at most of America.
    If you’ve read any of my other diet articles you’ll understand why it is bad to eat simple sugars on a regular basis; this is just another reason showing you why it is bad to eat them. When you’re not using your energy for something useful, and consume lots of simple sugars into the body, you get fat. Simple as pie. You think non-fat food is non-fat? Look at the sugar on the ingredient label and then tell me it’s non-fat. Not very hard to understand this concept, but for some reason people just don’t seem to get it.
    Simple Sugars After a Workout

Consuming simple sugars following a workout will bring glucose to your muscle cells and allow for greater uptake of amino acids, which are very good for muscle growth. Simple sugars are very easy to come across. They include honey, cane sugar, sugar, grapes, raisins, dates, maltose (milk sugar), maltodextrin (Gatorade / Powerade), watermelon, etc. pick one of these and eat them along with a balanced protein, carb, and fat meal after your workout and you will create an insulin spike and cause glucose to be delivered to the muscle and the amino acids to be utilized more efficiently. With this, the protein you just ingested will be up taken into the muscle cells better than if you didn’t eat simple sugars following your workout.
    ONLY consume simple sugars like these immediately after your workout to cause an insulin spike. Other than the first thing in the morning and after your workout, simple sugars should be avoided at all costs so that you can fill your body with complex sugars for energy and optimization. Everything clear? Good; now you guys have an extra edge on becoming the best athlete you can be.
    Alex Russo Heart of a Lion

dead lift-525
    bench-315
    powerclean-225x5
    bentoverbarbell row-275x5
    milatary press-225x2

Through God Anything is possible.

Doubt me, hate me, you're the inspiration I need.

"where the mind is, the body follows"

If God sends us on strong paths, we are provided strong shoes."

unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) unstoppabl3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Insulin is anti-lipolytic (stops fats being burned) but also blocks the release of cortisol (a hormone that produces glucose by breaking down muscle tissue and proteins). This means increasing insulin levels should stop you loosing too much muscle when working out but should be timed to 'spike' at the right time as you will tend to store more fat if your insulin levels are elevated too long/often.
    This Is the justification I have found for eating simple carbs pre/post workout anyway, not sure how big/important this effect really is tbh...

Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tonyctattoo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks guys, I was curious sbout what the insulin spike thing was all about also after reading this forum and seeing it mentioned a few times

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by unstoppabl3 View Post
    Insulin is anti-lipolytic (stops fats being burned) but also blocks the release of cortisol (a hormone that produces glucose by breaking down muscle tissue and proteins). This means increasing insulin levels should stop you loosing too much muscle when working out but should be timed to 'spike' at the right time as you will tend to store more fat if your insulin levels are elevated too long/often.
    This Is the justification I have found for eating simple carbs pre/post workout anyway, not sure how big/important this effect really is tbh...
    I am also aware of this, high insulin indeed prevents your body to burn fat... but question is, how the hell can you even tell if your insulin is high or low?? Unless you are a doctor who can take the blood out and examine it himself....

any thoughts on this ???
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

Raw Nats 2014 comeatmebro DDon1996's Avatar
    DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DDon1996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by godsamurai View Post
    I am also aware of this, high insulin indeed prevents your body to burn fat... but question is, how the hell can you even tell if your insulin is high or low?? Unless you are a doctor who can take the blood out and examine it himself....

any thoughts on this ???
    No it doesn't and there is no reason to.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159714881&p=1213186101

PowerliftingtoWIN.com

"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

-- Paracelsus

johnnyj580 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great information in this article guys, thank you.

Registered User WorkoutFreak219's Avatar
    WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Broscience/10.

Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10) Elleon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlexRusso View Post
    What Dean said is more or less correct regardless,good post DeanCorp,but anyways. The reason to spike insuline after a workout (you can spike it with anything you want to including candy is a very good one).
    Im going to go over everything,including what my dude Dean covered.
    Including questions and answers !

It’s a hormone produced by the pancreas, which is necessary for glucose to be able to enter the cells of the body and be used for energy. Why is insulin important the human body? Well, read the definition. Anyway, on with the science. Whenever you ingest a carbohydrate or insulin, your body immediately releases insulin to regulate your body’s blood sugar levels. Insulin does not let your body drop its blood sugar levels too high or too low. Insulin also transports glucose to the muscle cells. Insulin is very anabolic because it allows for amino acids to be utilized much better and much faster in the human body.
    It is said by experts that the best time to get an insulin spike is after you workout. I totally agree; in fact, I think that when you wake up in the morning and immediately after your afternoon or evening workout are the best times of day to create an insulin spike. Your body is very sensitive in the morning when you first wake up because you just ₓre-charged₝ yourself with sleep, and it also very sensitive after a workout because of all the glucose that your body has used for energy during the intense session.
    How to Cause an Insulin Spike

OK, so how the hell do I create an insulin spike? Easy as butter baby. To create in insulin spike, simply eat foods with a high glycemic index. What this means is foods that have simple sugars in them. The higher the glycemic index that a food is, the more simple the sugars are and the quicker they enter your bloodstream. Studies have shown that insulin replenishes glycogen stores in the liver, stops protein breakdown after a workout, and increases amino acid uptake into the body. Well this all sounds fine and dandy for us athletes, but unfortunately, as everything, there is a downside to our good friend insulin.
    Insulin plays an extremely large role in storing fat. Whenever insulin is released, glucose stores are stored as glycogen in the liver for energy, as stated earlier. This is all gravy whenever your glycogen stores are depleted after a workout, but if they are full, and insulin is released, the extra glucose will be transported DIRECTLY into those fat cells of yours. And what happens when something enters the fat cells? If you don’t know, look at most of America.
    If you’ve read any of my other diet articles you’ll understand why it is bad to eat simple sugars on a regular basis; this is just another reason showing you why it is bad to eat them. When you’re not using your energy for something useful, and consume lots of simple sugars into the body, you get fat. Simple as pie. You think non-fat food is non-fat? Look at the sugar on the ingredient label and then tell me it’s non-fat. Not very hard to understand this concept, but for some reason people just don’t seem to get it.
    Simple Sugars After a Workout

Consuming simple sugars following a workout will bring glucose to your muscle cells and allow for greater uptake of amino acids, which are very good for muscle growth. Simple sugars are very easy to come across. They include honey, cane sugar, sugar, grapes, raisins, dates, maltose (milk sugar), maltodextrin (Gatorade / Powerade), watermelon, etc. pick one of these and eat them along with a balanced protein, carb, and fat meal after your workout and you will create an insulin spike and cause glucose to be delivered to the muscle and the amino acids to be utilized more efficiently. With this, the protein you just ingested will be up taken into the muscle cells better than if you didn’t eat simple sugars following your workout.
    ONLY consume simple sugars like these immediately after your workout to cause an insulin spike. Other than the first thing in the morning and after your workout, simple sugars should be avoided at all costs so that you can fill your body with complex sugars for energy and optimization. Everything clear? Good; now you guys have an extra edge on becoming the best athlete you can be.

thanks heaps for the info! just taught me a bunch!!
    What is insulin?
    "What the mind can conceive, the body can achieve!"

Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aeshredded has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DeanCorp View Post
    Insulin is a hormone that is produced in the pancreas and its sole job is to regulate the amount of sugar in the blood at any given time. People who are diabetic have trouble producing insulin (either too much or too little) and this leads to unsafe levels of blood sugar (again either too much or too little.)

Therefore by having fruit, after a workout, will help your muscles repair and grow.
    This is absolutely the pinnacle of useless information trying manipulate endogenous insulin by timing high GI carbs is pointless. Might as well stick some insulin in your butt cheek if you want to talk about insulin.