Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

working out on an empty stomach

Just wondering what happens when you work out (lift weights) on an empty stomach? Friend of mine says that it burns more fat but also burns muscle. In that case, which does it burn more of? Dont really know which forum this belongs in.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dtru View Post
    Just wondering what happens when you work out (lift weights) on an empty stomach? Friend of mine says that it burns more fat but also burns muscle. In that case, which does it burn more of? Dont really know which forum this belongs in.
    It's going to depend on the length and intensity / energy system being used.

In general, ATP-CP, Glycogen, Muscle, Fat.

onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onelifetolive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been told if your main goal is to cut, work out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, cardio and weights alike.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by onelifetolive View Post
    I've been told if your main goal is to cut, work out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, cardio and weights alike.
    You're obviously a gullible fool. I was told this. I believe it too.

Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Burn muscle??? First of all, you are burning muscle glycogen not muscle.
    Are you starving to be buring muscle...no.
    This myth about buring muscle because you skipped a meal or worked out on an empty tummy is a load of crap.
    You know when you start to burn muscle, it is when you don't eat for weeks.
    It is when you body runs out of glycogen, and proteins (amino acids).
    You get your glycogen from the carbs and proteins you consume everyday.

:: 6'3 256lb Endo :: MasterJedi's Avatar
    MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Cardio I would suggest doing it but as far as lifting, you are asking for muscle loss.
    \m/ Hook'em Horns \m/

"The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas are upon you all the live long day ...

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, you cannot get away ...

Do not think you can escape them at night or early in the morn ...

The Eyes of Texas are upon you 'till Gabriel blows his horn ."

\m/ hook'em horns \m/

Short term goal is to weight 230lbs....

Long term goal is to weight 200lbs....

I am at 256lbs. Started at 286lbs at the middle of August 09.

Registered User muscleheadmike6's Avatar
    muscleheadmike6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Need proteins pre and post to really build muscle.

I wouldn't suggest working out without some protein and simple carbs in your system. You're asking for a mediocre workout, your body needs fuel to perform. Eat a plain protein such as chicken or fish and supplement with a simple carb as a fruit or a vegetable and drink an 8 ounce of skim or 1% milk. That is something that will give you energy yet still keep you lean. If I didn't eat at least 30 minutes prior to a workout I wouldn't be able to put the same kind of intensity into it. Don't deprive your body of something that important because someone who really doesn't know what they're talking about gives you poor advice. Consult a nutrionalist and I'm sure they would tell you the same thing.

seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you are working out you are using energy which is got from food you intake. So working on empty stomach dosen't seem rite.
    Check out my progress and how I went from 157lbs to 191lbs in 9 months..

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.org

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you have the energy to maintain intensity to get an effective workout, go for it.

There's plenty of muscle glycogen available to fuel weight lifting unless you're glycogen depleted, which you could be depleted if you do a lot of high intensity work or low carb dieting. However, if you are depleted, you're not going to use any protein for energy at all because you won't even be able to lift the weights. Without glycogen, your body can not produce the ATP required for the intense muscle contractions to move the weights in the first place.

The easy test is to just try it and if you can't finish the workout or you can't do the intensity you wanted, you'll need a little carb intake before working out.

:: 6'3 256lb Endo :: MasterJedi's Avatar
    MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000) MasterJedi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by seems View Post
    When you are working out you are using energy which is got from food you intake. So working on empty stomach dosen't seem rite.
    Hence why it rules for LI cardio!
    \m/ Hook'em Horns \m/

"The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas are upon you all the live long day ...

The Eyes of Texas are upon you, you cannot get away ...

Do not think you can escape them at night or early in the morn ...

The Eyes of Texas are upon you 'till Gabriel blows his horn ."

\m/ hook'em horns \m/

Short term goal is to weight 230lbs....

Long term goal is to weight 200lbs....

I am at 256lbs. Started at 286lbs at the middle of August 09.

DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000) DiMattia43 is just really nice. (+1000)
    whats up...

i have been doing this for months...

i have been trying to bulk up and take Animal Stak and Pump before i go to the gym, i take them as soon as i wake up, 20mins apart..

I am having nice gains.... Stronger and bigger....

I also did this with BSN products, NO-Xplode and cellmass... I had awesome results...

I see nothing wrong with working out on empty stomach in the morning..

It is working for me, and many other people i know from the gym and on here..

richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10) richy_boi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    a quick answer to that is: it only makes your workouts weaker.

Although, I would suggest that immediatly after working out that you consume around 60gr of carbs (both simple and complex - fast and slow uptake) to replinsh the lost glycogen in your workout. Your muscles can't grow without them having energy and protien to repair.
    What is wrong with roids anyways?

LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    eh generally, aerobic uses carbohydrate fat **protein.
    anearobic uses carbohydrate and **protein
    **protein is only used when fat or carbohydrate sources arent available
    dont worry by the time you wake up and exercise, unless you have been starving for a long period of time say a few days or longer you should still have atleast muscle glycogen left and usually the body uses its own fat stores to replenish those stores and is converted to use as energy. your own proteins are pretty much last resort, thats why we have fat stores so we dont have catabolize
    behind every great woman...is a man checking out her arse

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing & saying booya

If at first you don't succeed you're not Chuck Norris

When Chuck Norris wants an egg he cracks open a chicken

shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50) shanedidwhat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Hasshman View Post
    This myth about buring muscle because you skipped a meal or worked out on an empty tummy is a load of crap.
    what he said.

Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hasshman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glycogen is not only stored in your muscles, it is also stored in your liver. When you run out of glycogen from not eating carbs, your body turns to amino acids (protein) to turn into glycogen.

If you consume more fat then protein and very little carbs, your body will start to go into ketosis where fatty acids will be turned into ketones for engery...This is good because it will spare your protien intake...this protein intake will only be used for muscle growth.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Glycogen is not only stored in your muscles, it is also stored in your liver. When you run out of glycogen from not eating carbs, your body turns to amino acids (protein) to turn into glycogen.

If you consume more fat then protein and very little carbs, your body will start to go into ketosis where fatty acids will be turned into ketones for engery...This is good because it will spare your protien intake...this protein intake will only be used for muscle growth.
    In the morning, your liver glycogen is relatively low which is a trigger for cortisol elevation to mobilize substrate for gluconeogenesis (i.e. muscle).

Cortisol is not the devil, but the conditions that cause its elevation typically are. And this is why it's not the best idea.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dtru has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thank you all for the posts. i actually forgot about making this thread. I was just curious to see if their was a way to burn fat with just lifting weights, not too worried about building muscle. I have no problems with work out intensity when on a empty stomach. I just didnt know if my pre workout meal was hurting my fat loss or not. As of now i just mix 1 scoop of protein with a cup of coffie 15min pre w/o and it helps keep focus.

musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musky hunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried it and almost fainted. No thanks.

Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I used to eat 6 meals a day and have a meal before the workout to "fuel" the workout. I won't do that anymore. I think that eating before a workout only messes things up.

Now I undereat for up to a dozen hours before training and the workouts are better than ever. It's a lie to me when people say that you will lose muscle without breakfast. Also I now think that breakfast is just a marketing sceme to sell people more and more food throughout the day.

I overeat after the workout and I have had the best results the last few months than ever before after training on and off for 10+ years.

I am not calling anyone wrong who eats before a workout. A year ago I thought it was a good idea. It's not IMO. I started doing the Warrior Diet and it's the best thing I have ever tried in the eating/lifting part of my life. The Warrior Diet sounds totally different from general recomendations for fat loss but those mainstream approaches don't work.

Quote From Ori Hofmekler:

In summary, pre-exercise meals may rob the brain and muscle from energy (due to digestion). Eliminating the digestion effect of pre-exercise meals may only make things worse. Eating meals made from fast releasing proteins and cabs, before exercise, can cause a profound cortisol elevating effect during and after exercise. This may severely compromise ones ability to build muscle and burn fat.

In conclusion, DO NOT EAT before exercise, instead eat right after exercise.

Originally Posted by Bo DeLone View Post
    I used to eat 6 meals a day and have a meal before the workout to "fuel" the workout. I won't do that anymore. I think that eating before a workout only messes things up.

Now I undereat for up to a dozen hours before training and the workouts are better than ever. It's a lie to me when people say that you will lose muscle without breakfast. Also I now think that breakfast is just a marketing sceme to sell people more and more food throughout the day.

I overeat after the workout and I have had the best results the last few months than ever before after training on and off for 10+ years.

I am not calling anyone wrong who eats before a workout. A year ago I thought it was a good idea. It's not IMO. I started doing the Warrior Diet and it's the best thing I have ever tried in the eating/lifting part of my life. The Warrior Diet sounds totally different from general recomendations for fat loss but those mainstream approaches don't work.

Quote From Ori Hofmekler:

In summary, pre-exercise meals may rob the brain and muscle from energy (due to digestion). Eliminating the digestion effect of pre-exercise meals may only make things worse. Eating meals made from fast releasing proteins and cabs, before exercise, can cause a profound cortisol elevating effect during and after exercise. This may severely compromise ones ability to build muscle and burn fat.

In conclusion, DO NOT EAT before exercise, instead eat right after exercise.
    dont know how much i believe this... when i bulk i usually eat a large apple and take 1scoop of protein b4 and a home made weight gainer after w/o and i gain really fast

PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeteCraig is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lol at these idiots.

Weight training is catabolic enough as it is, The ammount of muscle u LOSE from doing a fasted workout would be greater than what you stimulate because your body is ALREADY in a catabolic state in the morning, since it's had a/ no water b/ no protein and c/ no carbs for 8 odd hours. The second you subject your body to high intensity weight training it will IMMEDIATLEY start tearing up muscle inpaticular glutamine for use within the immune system because of the demands placed on it. Also how the **** are you ment to train with 100% intensity and focus in a fasted state? It's the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GTmauf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PeteCraig View Post
    lol at these idiots.

Weight training is catabolic enough as it is, The ammount of muscle u LOSE from doing a fasted workout would be greater than what you stimulate because your body is ALREADY in a catabolic state in the morning, since it's had a/ no water b/ no protein and c/ no carbs for 8 odd hours. The second you subject your body to high intensity weight training it will IMMEDIATLEY start tearing up muscle inpaticular glutamine for use within the immune system because of the demands placed on it. Also how the **** are you ment to train with 100% intensity and focus in a fasted state? It's the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
    lmfao....Brosciense ftl.

If you would do your research you would find that fasting actually increases mental clarity and the production of Catecholamines. Which are also produced during the "fight-or-flight" response. Alot of people doing this sort of lifting find themselves being able to focus harder on the task at hand and lift harder.

Just in-case you're too lazy to look them up, and most likely have no idea what they are/do.
    Catecholamines cause general physiological changes that prepare the body for physical activity (fight-or-flight response)

Everything you said is completely foolish.
    Last edited by GTmauf; 10-10-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    "A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself" - The One and Only

Originally Posted by PeteCraig View Post
    lol at these idiots.

I dont believe i ever said i work out in the morning either... i work out after work.

uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uday1583 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I dont think it maeks any big difference as a whole... I feel working out empty stomach with more intensity and time may burn extra fat but may have some side effects too.. there should be a right balance if i am not wrong...
    Check out my progress and how I went from 157lbs to 191lbs in 9 months..

http://www.bodybuilding.com

MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000) MoonWalker0 is just really nice. (+1000)
    this seems to be the best post in the thread.

what do you guys think? fat loss = working out on an empty stomach?