Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation Is Max Rack 3D Squat Rack bad/good? (Pic)

My gym only has 3 squat racks.

Out of the 3, 2 of them are these Max Rack 3D machines/racks.

The other rack is a standard rack, but does not face a mirror (just out in space) so I can't really do a good squat workout on this because (a-I can't watch my form) and (b-I think it's dangerous (i.e. reracking weights,etc) ).

My question is simple:

Is using this machine/rack bad for my workouts/squats?

While these squat racks/machine do not assist in reps, the DO offer support in case of failure/spotting.

A lot of people use these for bench/etc, but not me. Just squats, and the other night for straight leg deadlifts, because the other was being used.

Appreciate any comments/advice offered.

GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First and foremost, if I see anyone benching in a power rack and I need that station, they better gtfo STAT.

I've never used that rack before but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine for squatting. Personally I prefer a rack that has just one set of BB rests that are adjustable. Judging by the picture it looks a little flimsy/cheap but I'm sure it gets the job done. My gym has several of these which I LOVE.

us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/hdpr
    ██ █ ★ █ ██ Combat Veterans Crew ██ █ ★ █ ██
    <<<***Boston misc crew***>>>

Victory always starts in the head. It's a state of mind. It then spreads with such radiance and affirmation that destiny can do nothing but obey.

laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000) laughin_man is just really nice. (+1000)
    is that like a smith machine? if it is and you're not injured, drop it and squat in the regular rack. Its not dangerous . . . also, you can video yourself to check your form

TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TOMaHULK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GtG-Army View Post
    First and foremost, if I see anyone benching in a power rack and I need that station, they better gtfo STAT.

I've never used that rack before but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine for squatting. Personally I prefer a rack that has just one set of BB rests that are adjustable. Judging by the picture it looks a little flimsy/cheap but I'm sure it gets the job done. My gym has several of these which I LOVE.

us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/hdpr
    Yes, these look nice. And in my opinion would be optimal, but looks like mine has a contract with StarTrac equipment.

The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_Dear_Hunter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have no idea how people can squat in those things. I feel so weird trying to squat on that. I know it keeps the bar going straight up and down, but my natural squat has some play in how the bar moves on the X and Y axis.

It's basically a Smith machine right?

GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50) GtG-Army will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by laughin_man View Post
    is that like a smith machine? if it is and you're not injured, drop it and squat in the regular rack. Its not dangerous . . . also, you can video yourself to check your form

what the deuce, ya I didn't see that rail. You're right. ditch that machine bro.
    ██ █ ★ █ ██ Combat Veterans Crew ██ █ ★ █ ██
    <<<***Boston misc crew***>>>

Victory always starts in the head. It's a state of mind. It then spreads with such radiance and affirmation that destiny can do nothing but obey.

Not a smith machine. Has a rail system as reinforcement for guiding a re-rack though.
    Last edited by TOMaHULK; 02-03-2010 at 08:38 AM.

MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MWheatley has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does it have a guided path like a smith machine? If so i say stick to free weights. Also, doing presses on this is really bad for your shoulders its not a natural ROM.

However, doing front squats on one of those has worked well for me.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It looks like it might be a smith that allows for horizontal movement. I'm not sure.

OP, what is so petrifying about squatting without a mirror? Besides, looking directly at yourself while squatting doesn't allow you to accurately judge when you hit parallel anyways. It is actually rather deceiving. Nor can you see if your back is properly arched, or if your body is following the proper line during your descent/ascent. Just squat, and use a camera to correct form.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MWheatley View Post
    Does it have a guided path like a smith machine? If so i say stick to free weights. Also, doing presses on this is really bad for your shoulders its not a natural ROM.

However, doing front squats on one of those has worked well for me.
    No-no guided path. It's "3D" which means that the bar can go 360 degree in any direction.

I'd NEVER do bench press in this thing, but squats seem about the same.

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    It looks like it might be a smith that allows for horizontal movement. I'm not sure.

OP, what is so petrifying about squatting without a mirror? Besides, looking directly at yourself while squatting doesn't allow you to accurately judge when you hit parallel anyways. It is actually rather deceiving. Nor can you see if your back is properly arched, or if your body is following the proper line during your descent/ascent. Just squat, and use a camera to correct form.
    The reason I want (feel the need) for a mirror is because I'm coming back from a back injury (3 torn discs in my back) and haven't been doing squats for a couple of years due to this injury. Thought the mirror would help with confidence/technique and form. You disagree?

Appreciate the comments so far guys.

Originally Posted by The_Dear_Hunter View Post
    I have no idea how people can squat in those things. I feel so weird trying to squat on that. I know it keeps the bar going straight up and down, but my natural squat has some play in how the bar moves on the X and Y axis.

It's basically a Smith machine right?
    No guys, it's not a Smith machine. It's 3D, so the bar can move in any direction.

Talking

LOL-rep'd for awesome avatar. Just noticed that

MK636 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MK636 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MK636 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MK636 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MK636 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The only difference is this rack will not allow the bar to tilt side to side. In other words, if you were not directly under the center of the bar, it would not matter.
    Mike V
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TOMaHULK View Post
    The reason I want (feel the need) for a mirror is because I'm coming back from a back injury (3 torn discs in my back) and haven't been doing squats for a couple of years due to this injury. Thought the mirror would help with confidence/technique and form. You disagree?

Appreciate the comments so far guys.
    I can understand your uneasiness. HoweverI will say, the mirror won't help. As i said, you can't see your arch or anything. THe only way you could, is if the mirror was on yoru side, then it wouldn't be smart to turn your head while doing the squat.

I'd say just start out kind of light, and just work your way up, making sure you use proper form. If you are worried, then film yourself doing some lower weight sets and put on here for critique if you are unsure.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    that thing is atrocious.

i tried using it once and only once because it seriously sucks that much. it's like they took the worst thing about a smith and combined it with the worst thing about free weights or something.

i understand the goal was to make it feel more natural by allowing greater range of motion while still giving you the support and safety of a smith but it just ends up feeling very strange. as stated above if they've accomplished anything in developing that machine it seems to be the opposite of their intention.

i think i actually heard my knee call me an idiot for even stepping under the bar to begin with!

gotta be the worst thing since barbell squat on top of a ball.
    Last edited by Jack_Lupino; 02-03-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

Talking

Originally Posted by Jack_Lupino View Post
    that thing is atrocious.

i tried using it once and only once because it seriously sucks that much. it's like they took the worst thing about a smith and combined it with the worst thing about free weights or something.

i understand the goal was to make it feel more natural by allowing greater range of motion while still giving you the support and safety of a smith but it just ends up feeling very strange. as stated above if they've accomplished anything in developing that machine it seems to be the opposite of their intention.

i think i actually heard my knee call me an idiot for even stepping under the bar to begin with!

gotta be the worst thing since barbell squat on top of a ball.
    Wow-I didn't think anything beat the barbell squat on the top of a ball...which I thought was a myth/joke, that is...until I actually saw a personal trainer doing it a few days ago with an EZ Curl bar. I was gonna say something, but I was like "I'm gonna enjoy this..." (srs)

Wow-I didn't think anything beat the barbell squat on the top of a ball...which I thought was a myth/joke, that is...until I actually saw a personal trainer doing it a few days ago with an EZ Curl bar. I was gonna say something, but I was like "I'm gonna enjoy this..." (srs)
    There is one (count...one ) video of the barbell swiss ball squat exercises that I do respect. I'll see if i can find it.

edit: I can't find it. Maybe soemone else can. it was of a black dude with a barbell (I think he had 135lb...can't remember) and would hop on a few swiss balls with it, and squat on them. That video was actually impressive.
    Last edited by chazzy1864; 02-03-2010 at 09:27 AM.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry guy, I bench in the rack all the time, you would just have to wait your turn.

To OP, you are better off learning to squat without looking in the mirror. When you watch yourself it can be distracting as well as being somwhat deceptive as to depth and what not.

Unhappy

There is one (count...one ) video of the barbell swiss ball squat exercises that I do respect. I'll see if i can find it.

edit: I can't find it. Maybe soemone else can. it was of a black dude with a barbell (I think he had 135lb...can't remember) and would hop on a few swiss balls with it, and squat on them. That video was actually impressive.
    But...why...? Just...why...?

But...why...? Just...why...?
    I dunno, but that dude was BA.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Only 3? Try gyms in the UK - you're lucky to find one!

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    so you can do curls?

nothing wrong at all with benching in a power rack

Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000) Aries21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    no way man, any guided rack is bad for the knees, squatting is a natural movement you dont want to mess with it

bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10) bforrester is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think its so bad, being able to move for and aft and all. Might be a good confidence builder. Only real problem I see is not having to balance the bar side to side will not allow for as much natural core activation, possibly leading to injury or imbalance in the long run. I don't think there is really a "good" replacement for a free squat, just a supplement.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Only 3? Try gyms in the UK - you're lucky to find one!
    Wasn't the point I was attempting to make. Just stating that there was 3 to indicate that only one of them was a standard rack and the other 2 were the MaxRack 3D, for reference. Yes I know we're spoiled, etc...

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post
    so you can do curls?

nothing wrong at all with benching in a power rack
    Was waiting on this to happen. And now..

Originally Posted by Aries21 View Post
    no way man, any guided rack is bad for the knees, squatting is a natural movement you dont want to mess with it
    Definetely a consideration, which is why I posted this thread.

Originally Posted by bforrester View Post
    I don't think its so bad, being able to move for and aft and all. Might be a good confidence builder. Only real problem I see is not having to balance the bar side to side will not allow for as much natural core activation, possibly leading to injury or imbalance in the long run. I don't think there is really a "good" replacement for a free squat, just a supplement.

Good points.
    Last edited by TOMaHULK; 02-03-2010 at 02:01 PM.

BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My knee just got raped on the smith machine (well not smith it is one of those 3d max racks). This happened a month ago and I thought it was bad form. I have been using the regular squat rack knee pain free. So today the regular squat rack was taken so I figured i would try the 3d rack again. Not even two sets in feel a pain in the front of my knee. Could not do any more reps. Knee is killing me now. I am never using the smith or 3d rack to squat ever again!! Free squat only from here on out!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BK89 View Post
    My knee just got raped on the smith machine (well not smith it is one of those 3d max racks). This happened a month ago and I thought it was bad form. I have been using the regular squat rack knee pain free. So today the regular squat rack was taken so I figured i would try the 3d rack again. Not even two sets in feel a pain in the front of my knee. Could not do any more reps. Knee is killing me now. I am never using the smith or 3d rack to squat ever again!! Free squat only from here on out!
    Wow, very relevant. Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=MWheatley;444747351]
    [QUOTE=laughin_man;444746241]
    [QUOTE=GtG-Army;444745311]
    [QUOTE=chazzy1864;444747811]
    [QUOTE=MK636;444753341]

REP'D

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

Out of the 3, 2 of them are these Max Rack 3D machines/racks.

The other rack is a standard rack, but does not face a mirror (just out in space) so I can't really do a good squat workout on this because (a-I can't watch my form) and (b-I think it's dangerous (i.e. reracking weights,etc) ).

My question is simple:

Is using this machine/rack bad for my workouts/squats?

While these squat racks/machine do not assist in reps, the DO offer support in case of failure/spotting.

A lot of people use these for bench/etc, but not me. Just squats, and the other night for straight leg deadlifts, because the other was being used.

Appreciate any comments/advice offered.
    Its always better to squat freeweight when you can. If circumstances limit your ability to do so doing something is better than doing nothing.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=MWheatley;444747351]
    [QUOTE=laughin_man;444746241]
    [QUOTE=GtG-Army;444745311]
    [QUOTE=chazzy1864;444747811]
    [QUOTE=MK636;444753341]

REP'D