yohanceyellock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

two day leg splits..

Have people found two day leg splits helpful for the off season for gaining mass and seperation or do Most feel that one heavy leg day a week should cut it.

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to split hams and quads, but I found that there was always a lingering soreness even thought they were days apart. I am able to give 100% now that I went back to having a single leg day.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

-KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think this is something you're going to have to figure out personally as to what works best for you.

I split when training for shows to really focus on deep contractions.

But off seasons I typically hit them both twice a week. (For a few weeks at least, then rotate something else in twice a week).

I'm not Dr. Science guy though when it comes to training. I don't count calories, I eat when hungry or ill feeling etc.

And if I see muscle group that needs work i'll beat the **** out of it till it comes around, and until it does that's my focus. I don't follow a regimine per se. This has worked well for me, but might not for others.

I'd try both methods for 6 weeks at a time and find what works best.

Just my 2 cents.
    Blog:
    www.kickingtotalass.com

Latest Bull****:
    www.****PeopleSayOn********.com

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My personal preference is to train quads and hams separately. However, scheduling that is sometimes difficult, so I often train them together (at least on my last couple of routines.

If you're doing more of a volume-oriented routine, I think splitting them can be beneficial due to the time/energy factor. And it helps you not have a good excuse to skip calves. I don't know about you guys, but after hitting quads and hams hard, I seem to be creative in my excuses to skip calves.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I train calves on arm day.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

-KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000) -KTA- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
    I train calves on arm day.
    Hah yeah so do I, just seems logical and my arm days are never too exhausting. Can't compare to legs, chest or back anyway.
    Blog:
    www.kickingtotalass.com

Latest Bull****:
    www.****PeopleSayOn********.com

yohanceyellock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    My personal preference is to train quads and hams separately. However, scheduling that is sometimes difficult, so I often train them together (at least on my last couple of routines.

If you're doing more of a volume-oriented routine, I think splitting them can be beneficial due to the time/energy factor. And it helps you not have a good excuse to skip calves. I don't know about you guys, but after hitting quads and hams hard, I seem to be creative in my excuses to skip calves.

Best,
    Ive almost come to the point to where I have given up on my calves..
    Theres a lot of good ideas here which I will be trying out. The training calves on arm day is something I will try before I write them off completely. Thanks!
    There is no such thing as an off season, just a chance to grow.

WNBF Pro Athlete

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I made great gains doing legs two days a week. First time I hit them with heavy weight, Quads, Hams and calves. The second time is the higher rep and set workout. I do calves at the end which is like a vacation after 25 sets for quads and hams...

I learned this from Layne Norton's Power\Hypertrophy split.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^^ I also train calves seperately. They are probably my biggest deficiency. Seems to help out. I was also training them twice a week for a while prior to contest prep and saw gains then.

So, in regard to a leg split...... I was thinking of training legs 2x a week in the off season to bring them up to par (or hopefully above). Does anyone train BOTH hams AND quads twice a week?

I guess there is a lot of overlap when you seperate them and I kind of like that idea. You wouldnt be pounding both muscle groups twice a week, but each group would get its individual pounding, and then the other would still get worked a bit. This would be especially true on quad day as opposed to ham day.

I might give that a whirl!
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AustrianOakJr View Post
    ^^^ I also train calves seperately. They are probably my biggest deficiency. Seems to help out. I was also training them twice a week for a while prior to contest prep and saw gains then.

So, in regard to a leg split...... I was thinking of training legs 2x a week in the off season to bring them up to par (or hopefully above). Does anyone train BOTH hams AND quads twice a week?

I guess there is a lot of overlap when you seperate them and I kind of like that idea. You wouldnt be pounding both muscle groups twice a week, but each group would get its individual pounding, and then the other would still get worked a bit. This would be especially true on quad day as opposed to ham day.

I might give that a whirl!
    I train hams and quads together 2x weekly... once with low reps/heavy weight, then again with lighter weight and more reps/sets.

One of the best ways to train legs in my opinion... most people with find that legs are very frequency-dependent. I've seen many guys really bring up their legs just by hitting them more often.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i train the whole complex twice a week... give or take a day or so due to the rotation... as for calves... whenever they feel recovered, sometimes every other day... just dont skip out on them... calves can be frustrating... i train calves unilaterally, and focus on contraction with very tight holds at the peak... then again I am working on tightening them up... and i train them with volume...
    --->BERG<---

***CSCS***

"for when I am weak, then I am strong"
    --2 Corinthians 12:10

SUNY Cortland '07 Grad - Exercise Science

liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It really depends on a few things, like recovery ability, nutrition, VOLUME, etc. I was doing a 4 day push/pull but will likely switch to 2 days of full legs. I like lifting the legs muscle gropus together because on things like squats you are lighting up a few of them, and I rely heavily on compounds in the off season.

NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NC_Tarheel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Derek just sent me a leg concentrated program b/c I need major work on these toothpicks I call legs..it goes a little like this...

Monday - Legs
    Heavy Compounds
    Leg Ext/Curl
    Lunges
    Calves

Tues - Chest/Delt/Tri

Thurs - Legs
    High Rep Compounds
    Leg Ext/Curl
    Calves

Friday or Saturday - Back/Trap/Bi
    Better Body Sports
    thad@betterbodysports.com

Check out BBS on ******** for daily giveaways!

http://www.********.com/pages/Better-Body-Sports/148301508542835

**My training log with Team Ogre **
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158235303&page=53

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NC_Tarheel View Post
    Derek just sent me a leg concentrated program b/c I need major work on these toothpicks I call legs..it goes a little like this...

Monday - Legs
    Heavy Compounds
    Leg Ext/Curl
    Lunges
    Calves

Tues - Chest/Delt/Tri

Thurs - Legs
    High Rep Compounds
    Leg Ext/Curl
    Calves

Friday or Saturday - Back/Trap/Bi
    I like that split. I may give that whirl once I resume training after my show. You got a good 3-4 days of recovery for the legs, which should be enough as long as the calories/protein are there. The chest/delt/tri day is a bit of a long day, but these are strengths for me, so I think I could probably decrease the volume and increase intensity and be OK.
    "Who the Son sets free is free indeed....."

WNBF Pro Natural Bodybuilder

Check out my CELLUCOR Supplement log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148746693&pagenumber=

3DMJ Athlete

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    2x/week or even 3x/week is the only thing that ever got mine to grow. Soreness is an issue at first but your body adapts (repeated bout effect) and you find that the more frequently you workout the less you get sore

musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    2x/week or even 3x/week is the only thing that ever got mine to grow. Soreness is an issue at first but your body adapts (repeated bout effect) and you find that the more frequently you workout the less you get sore

I have been training for about 7 years now. I train legs every 5 days and still have a problem with DOMS, specifically my hams. They take forever to recover. Even when I train back doing bent over rows or similar exercises, they hinder me. I have found that if I can force myself to do some cardio the following day despite being sore, they loosen up a little better. Either way, I just keep beating them up trying to get them to grow.--Brian

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    and if you worked them more frequently after about 4-6 weeks you'd find they are far less sore

Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Transformer08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    find what works for u.... im currently training my legs 3x a week, thats quads,calves and hams.. and enjoying it. but in the past in the off-season i havent trained legs for like 6weeks and they still stay same size or even grow. right now sitting around 27ins.

musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    and if you worked them more frequently after about 4-6 weeks you'd find they are far less sore
    I have been trying that now. I just began off-season beginning of October. My problem is volume. Told myself I was going to up the frequency and lower the volume a bit. My problem is, I always want to do more. How many total sets would you recommend? I trained legs today and did 17 total sets with the compounds being squats, db walking lunges, and sldl's

BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBLineBacker81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with Layne... I am also a firm believer in the shock and awe method... too many people train upper body to failure and to that absolute max but kind of "whimp out" when it comes to legs... train your legs for that same pump you go for upper body wise, concentrated movements to near failure obviously in as safe a manner as possible... pump them up and they WILL grow... it's easy to get a pump on extensions... go for a pump on squats, on lunges, on rdls, hamstring curls... you've got to go at it hard...
    --->BERG<---

***CSCS***

"for when I am weak, then I am strong"
    --2 Corinthians 12:10

SUNY Cortland '07 Grad - Exercise Science