Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Lean ladies with mass

Ok. I have read until it feels like my eyes are bleeding. I'm not new to cutting cardio and lifting. I am however at a loss as to how to bulk and stay as lean as possible like some of you ladies. I know (think I know) the technical part of bulking. But I tell ya as a woman adding weight goes against everything you grow up learning. I want to add muscle mass very bad. It's a craving and I believe way sexier than skinny. And I see all of you ladies that are still lean but with great muscle gains. How can I follow in your footsteps?
    As of now I lift heavy 6-10 reps and started hiit instead of marathon cardio.
    What i had been Doing is 7 days of 45-60 cardio, 5 days lifting and way undereating according to my bodymedia band. So trying to repair that damage.
    Anyway, I know all you lovely ladies have plenty to do but seriously any advice is much appreciated. I want the squat booty!!!! And if I have to gain weight well then I just have too.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    We don't all stay lean when gaining muscle, some can and do if they have a lot of time to take it slowly. And a lot of it has to do with your genetics and how well you distribute and carry any extra fat. I'm lucky that I distribute fairly well so I can carry a lot of extra weight better, but I still got to looking really fluffy on my last bulk (I have progress pics all over my BodySpace for proof).

So, to gain, you'll just have to accept the fat gains whatever they may be. Just go slow is about the only way to minimize them.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I kept my fat gains while bulking reasonable, but I went a lot slower with a much smaller surplus than many here.

I ate *around* (stopped logging)'and extra 200 a day for a year. Some weeks a little more, some a little less.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's impossible (or nearly) to gain exclusively muscle. I've heard some people have had good success with eating a zigzag diet, with a surplus on lifting days and a small deficit on non-lifting days, with an overall surplus that is relatively small. I'm not sure I could handle such micro-managing of calories, and anyways, that just slows down muscle growth. It's already so slow as it is! I'm in favor of just bulking on less - a daily surplus, but I'd keep my gains to no more than 1/2 lb per week. Considering that the most muscle an avg woman can gain realistically is around 1/2 lb per month, it just doesn't take a ginormous surplus to feed that. Extra is just going to go to fat.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I actually lowered my body fat % on a bulk by eating at a small surplus for pretty much a whole year, and just adjusting my diet to account for more/less cardio. So long as the energy balance is right, you won't gain fast. And if you don't gain fast, you will minimise fat gains (since the body can only increase muscle mass at a slow rate, so any excess calories will then be used to increase your fat).
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155881453

FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50) FoxBlossom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    It's impossible (or nearly) to gain exclusively muscle. I've heard some people have had good success with eating a zigzag diet, with a surplus on lifting days and a small deficit on non-lifting days, with an overall surplus that is relatively small. I'm not sure I could handle such micro-managing of calories, and anyways, that just slows down muscle growth. It's already so slow as it is! I'm in favor of just bulking on less - a daily surplus, but I'd keep my gains to no more than 1/2 lb per week. Considering that the most muscle an avg woman can gain realistically is around 1/2 lb per month, it just doesn't take a ginormous surplus to feed that. Extra is just going to go to fat.
    Agree with this ^^ Not only as it makes sense, but this method has worked better for me rather than allocating myself individual 'phases' for bulks and cuts. Everyone is different though so it depends on how well you think you'll handle a bulking period; from your post your in a similar mindset as I was, meaning it went against all my inner thoughts to actually put weight on, even though this is assuredly a method to bulk. The problem is, for a lot of women it's hard to accept that mentality, and they end up bulking for a couple weeks, then panic cutting after putting a few pounds on, so slow and steady (akin to recomp) may work best for you, albeit it will take longer than a bulk and cut.
    -= If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail =-

"Don't be disappointed with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do."

cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000)
    All good advice here. I came to the same conclusions you are getting from the others here- eat at a modest surplus for as long as you can handle (I'm planning on all of 2013) while lifting heavy. Some do bulk more aggressively but I'm not convinced that would do anything but lead to more fat to clean up after later. You can only gain so much muscle at a time, so 200-300 extra a day seems reasonable to me. I'm speaking from logic, not experience, so take it for what it's worth, lol.

cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    I actually lowered my body fat % on a bulk by eating at a small surplus for pretty much a whole year, and just adjusting my diet to account for more/less cardio. So long as the energy balance is right, you won't gain fast. And if you don't gain fast, you will minimise fat gains (since the body can only increase muscle mass at a slow rate, so any excess calories will then be used to increase your fat).
    Hi there,
    Curious about your experience: what was your pre-bulk wt and bf compared to your post-bulk wt and bf? How much over maint. did you eat?

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cmg1976 View Post
    All good advice here. I came to the same conclusions you are getting from the others here- eat at a modest surplus for as long as you can handle (I'm planning on all of 2013) while lifting heavy. Some do bulk more aggressively but I'm not convinced that would do anything but lead to more fat to clean up after later. You can only gain so much muscle at a time, so 200-300 extra a day seems reasonable to me. I'm speaking from logic, not experience, so take it for what it's worth, lol.
    Basically yes. A more aggressive surplus (combined with proper training) would definitely lead to quicker gains across the board, in strength, muscle, and fat. So my thinking was, I could go that way ^^^^ and then struggle cutting it all, just to have to repeat in a few measly months? No thanks. I lived in a tropical climate at the time, where bikinis were nearly considered appropriate office attire. (okay, slight exaggeration, but still) I kept it slow and steady so I never completely lost my abs or didn't feel comfortable in a bikini at all times.

I struggle cutting, I really do. The thought of having to do it several times in the same year is more than I can bear.
    For what I don't know

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Basically yes. A more aggressive surplus (combined with proper training) would definitely lead to quicker gains across the board, in strength, muscle, and fat. So my thinking was, I could go that way ^^^^ and then struggle cutting it all, just to have to repeat in a few measly months? No thanks. I lived in a tropical climate at the time, where bikinis were nearly considered appropriate office attire. (okay, slight exaggeration, but still) I kept it slow and steady so I never completely lost my abs or didn't feel comfortable in a bikini at all times.

I struggle cutting, I really do. The thought of having to do it several times in the same year is more than I can bear.
    Well, you are ripped so I'd say you know what you are talking about

Are you currently bulking or cutting? How long is/was your bulk and how much did you gain? I'm starting without much muscle so I'm aiming for a slow and steady yr, figuring I might be 15-20# heavier at the end but look better than I did in the 140's with no weight training. I expect I'll have to clean up a few pounds of fat afterwards, but not as much as if I gained it in 3 months. At least that is what I'm hoping for, won't really know until I see!

And I hear you on the cutting, those thoughts are not invited to occupy my brainspace right now. I really hate being hungry.
    My training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150928103

Well, you are ripped so I'd say you know what you are talking about

Are you currently bulking or cutting? How long is/was your bulk and how much did you gain? I'm starting without much muscle so I'm aiming for a slow and steady yr, figuring I might be 15-20# heavier at the end but look better than I did in the 140's with no weight training. I expect I'll have to clean up a few pounds of fat afterwards, but not as much as if I gained it in 3 months. At least that is what I'm hoping for, won't really know until I see!

And I hear you on the cutting, those thoughts are not invited to occupy my brainspace right now. I really hate being hungry.
    I hired Kimm4 and she worked out my calories and macros for me.

I started at 108 and topped out at 120 by the 13th month. That was in 2010-2011.

I got back down to 114-115 ish in about 6 months by just small and slow dietary changes, nothing like a real "cut." Because, with the new added muscle, I really didn't look all that horrible at 120. Nothing like "Oh my god I have to get this fat off me!"

Now, I am in a real honest-to-goodness cut, started 2 weeks ago, and hoping to reach 107-108 by the end of March.
    For what I don't know

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    I hired Kimm4 and she worked out my calories and macros for me.

I started at 108 and topped out at 120 by the 13th month. That was in 2010-2011.

I got back down to 114-115 ish in about 6 months by just small and slow dietary changes, nothing like a real "cut." Because, with the new added muscle, I really didn't look all that horrible at 120. Nothing like "Oh my god I have to get this fat off me!"

Now, I am in a real honest-to-goodness cut, started 2 weeks ago, and hoping to reach 107-108 by the end of March.
    Nice! I've heard good things about her And I just saw your cal counting thread. 7# in about 10 weeks sounds reasonably humane...

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi there,
    Curious about your experience: what was your pre-bulk wt and bf compared to your post-bulk wt and bf? How much over maint. did you eat?
    Pre: 93lbs, 23% fat. Breaks down as 73lbs lean mass, 20lbs fat.
    Post: 116lbs, 19% fat. Breaks down as 94lbs lean mass, 22lbs fat.

As you can see, I benefitted from being new to lifting and I also seem to have genetics which rock for bodybuilding.

I ate barely over maintainence. Some days under, probably. I didn't actually aim for any number, just ate when I was hungry and bc I was underweight, that brought me up to a healthy place. My average cals were around 2200/day. Range would be about 1800-3500 depending on hunger. Protein was very high and I ate almost 100% clean (bc that's what I enjoy). I also did quite a bit of running through my bulk, idk how much impact that had.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155881453

As you can see, I benefitted from being new to lifting and I also seem to have genetics which rock for bodybuilding.

I ate barely over maintainence. Some days under, probably. I didn't actually aim for any number, just ate when I was hungry and bc I was underweight, that brought me up to a healthy place. My average cals were around 2200/day. Range would be about 1800-3500 depending on hunger. Protein was very high and I ate almost 100% clean (bc that's what I enjoy). I also did quite a bit of running through my bulk, idk how much impact that had.

I also ran (and run) almost daily.
    For what I don't know

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice! I've heard good things about her And I just saw your cal counting thread. 7# in about 10 weeks sounds reasonably humane...
    I've used her as well with great results If you are interested in hiring her, she comes highly recommended.

Good for you- you must feel great!

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    I've used her as well with great results If you are interested in hiring her, she comes highly recommended.
    Good to know thx

Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hunnybee324 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thanks ladies!!

Good to know thx
    So based on my body space progress
    Pics...what route do you ladies think would give me the best results by summer? Bulk or cut a little more. I'm holding some fat on inner thighs saddlebags BUT my reason for wanting to bulk is to add some mass back in the rump. Or maybe that's the wrong way to go about it?