Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fstigre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can I grow my skinny legs

Hi,

I have always wanted to get a personal trainer but it's too expensive and today I starting searching on the web trying to find a forum where I could get some advice and I thing I found the right one.

One of the things I always wanted to improve are my legs, I have skinny legs so I don't usually wear shorts because that embarrass me and I always wonder if I could do some exercise to gain leg muscles or it's simply the way my body is and there is nothing that can be done?

Can someone help me with some routine exercises that could help me grow my legs?

I'm currently going to the GYM, so these can be exercises with typical equipment.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I would love to be able to show my legs and wear shorts, help please!

Thanks a lot!

Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) Amplifiedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would highly suggest a full body routine where your squatting 3x a week.

In the very least, I would still suggest squatting.

Squat or remove thy self caerus13's Avatar
    caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squat and eat...a lot.

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Last edited by Kirra; 02-22-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: link added
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

Thank you all for your comments!

Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squat and eat lots of food for sure bro. I've been only doing squat for a week and I can see and feel the different. It will also help with your upper body workout too. Try it, you'll like it.

Ok, so far it looks like squatting is the way to go so, I will try to follow some techniques found in this forum to do it right.

As far as eating a lot, I usually eat a lot but the thing is that it goes to the wrong parts of my body, belly and cheeks and nothing to my legs. Is there some sort of food that could help to gain leg volume?

Thank you all very much for your help!

Registered User noaddedhormones's Avatar
    noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    squat 10set of 10 and watch your legs expand
    OL R&D
    NoChit

jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is it your upper leggs or like your ankles/calves.. you say u dont wanna wear shorts so im assuming its your lower extremities. Im in the same boat with not wanting to wear shorts.. i have very above average quads and hams but the skinniest calves and ankles in existence.. It drives me insane because no matter how much i squat/deadlift/calf raise,press,etc. my upper legs keeps growing and my lower legs dont budge.. Dont really have any advice in that department unfortunatly nothing seems to work for me, maybe it really is genetics but i just dotn belive that sh*t.. IF its your upper legs (quads/hams) then squat and deadlift your heart out, they will grow fast.

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Squat/DL you will hear repeatedly. Do some more reading here because you have indeed found the right place for information.

However, don't just go in and start squatting. Get on a program and after reading you'll learn that if your weight is going to your belly/cheeks etc., what you are eating is probably not the right nutrition. So, sort out your nutrition as well. You won't grow muscle if you don't eat enough and eat right.

Check these out. Figure out what your caloric intake should be and research what your diet should be composed of.

Routines
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115643271

Nutrition
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Well, I think is upper leg but I think is more pronounced in my ankles. Thank you for the advice, I guess I have to start somewhere and see if see some improvements.

Would 10sets of 10, three days a week will be a good starting point?

Thank you for the links emp1acur

Thanks a lot

jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jst1225 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    10 sets of 10 3 days a week would be the epitome of OVERKILL. Try something along the line of 3x5 2x a week or look up one of the beginner programs in the stickies and follow those routines

Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Drew1105 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have skinny legs as well...VERY skinny legs and I just started a a leg routine 2 weeks ago...i cant explain how mad I am at myself not incoorperating legs from the get go. Be forewarned that 2 days after you do squats you will be barely be able to walk. loves it!
    —Layin off the sauce since 1983–
    ⌨Miscing While Working Crew⌨
    ⌨Audi RS4 Crew (Lone Member)⌨
    ⌨Misc Crypto Crew⌨

kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kags31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its funny, b/c i just started my leg rehab b/c i had tendinitis. I just started like 2 weeks ago, and have already seen some pretty good gains. For me, the big thing is using my own body weight, before using external resistance. I can do at least 100 weightless squats now, and I feel I am ready to start getting into resistance trainging. Dont get me wrong, 100 weightless squats is not a pre-req for anything, but that just what I did. First day back in the gym doing weight squats, i was repping 225 for 20, after starting off with 95lbs for 10x, 115lbs for 10x, 135lbs for 10x, 185 lbs for 10x, then 225 for as many as possible, but i stop at 21, b/c my knees started to feel a little weird. I went on to leg press, hack squats, leg extensions, leg curls, hip adductors, and hip abductors, and calfs.

idk if it will work for you, but thats how im doing it. hope that helped any

Thanks a lot for your help!

XgunslingerX has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kags31 View Post
    Its funny, b/c i just started my leg rehab b/c i had tendinitis. I just started like 2 weeks ago, and have already seen some pretty good gains. For me, the big thing is using my own body weight, before using external resistance. I can do at least 100 weightless squats now, and I feel I am ready to start getting into resistance trainging. Dont get me wrong, 100 weightless squats is not a pre-req for anything, but that just what I did. First day back in the gym doing weight squats, i was repping 225 for 20, after starting off with 95lbs for 10x, 115lbs for 10x, 135lbs for 10x, 185 lbs for 10x, then 225 for as many as possible, but i stop at 21, b/c my knees started to feel a little weird. I went on to leg press, hack squats, leg extensions, leg curls, hip adductors, and hip abductors, and calfs.

idk if it will work for you, but thats how im doing it. hope that helped any
    That's a TON of volume regardless of who you are, but for someone who's just getting into training, such high volume is going to be counterproductive. Start with your core lifts that target large groups of muscle (squats, deads, rows, etc.) and focus on building a foundation (check out routines for beginners here as well as doing some investigating into PROVEN training methods). You can never go wrong with basic lifts and methods that have proven track records.

Thank you all very much!

Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000) Silmarillion is just really nice. (+1000)
    Really a good guideline is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, his workouts target legs enough due to Squats and Deadlifts. By personal experience I can only recommend this.

If you're a novice to the iron game, even better for it.
    reps 4 life: Gif_brah

noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fstigre View Post
    Well, I think is upper leg but I think is more pronounced in my ankles. Thank you for the advice, I guess I have to start somewhere and see if see some improvements.

Would 10sets of 10, three days a week will be a good starting point?

Thank you for the links emp1acur

Thanks a lot
    once a week maxx...you may be sore for more than a week the first time you do it, but its a great way to to start a trainer who trained MR australia 2009 uses this technique with all his clients with great success
    OL R&D
    NoChit

BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BIGSTTNJFF is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi,

I have always wanted to get a personal trainer but it's too expensive and today I starting searching on the web trying to find a forum where I could get some advice and I thing I found the right one.

One of the things I always wanted to improve are my legs, I have skinny legs so I don't usually wear shorts because that embarrass me and I always wonder if I could do some exercise to gain leg muscles or it's simply the way my body is and there is nothing that can be done?

Can someone help me with some routine exercises that could help me grow my legs?

I'm currently going to the GYM, so these can be exercises with typical equipment.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I would love to be able to show my legs and wear shorts, help please!

Thanks a lot!
    Leg presses in the 20 rep range. And squats in the 8 to 10 range bro. Also only train legs once a week. It takes forever for them to recover.
    Force Factor Rep!!!

www.forcefactor.com

Questions or comments. Please PM me.

Disclaimer, all post by me do not necessary reflect the opinions of Force Factor or any of it's affiliates.

ToneLoke88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same exact problem. I've been lifting for about a year now taking breaks every now and then for wrestling; every part of my body grows over time as i continue to lift but i still have chicken legs! I squat, deadlift, leg press, calf raise, etc but they dont seem to respond. One thing i have noticed, though, is running for increased cardio in wrestling. I would run 2-3 miles and my shins would be killing me. Over a period of 3 months i started to see a huge difference in my calves. I would always incorporate smith machine calf raises and that didnt compare at all to what running did for my calves. I found a hill by my house that i would sprint up and walk down, rinse and repeat. At first, your legs are gna be sore as hell but you'll find that itll get easier and easier. For me atleast, this has been the best way to go about gaining calf muscle. hope this helps

Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kwazziee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ToneLoke88 View Post
    I have the same exact problem. I've been lifting for about a year now taking breaks every now and then for wrestling; every part of my body grows over time as i continue to lift but i still have chicken legs! I squat, deadlift, leg press, calf raise, etc but they dont seem to respond. One thing i have noticed, though, is running for increased cardio in wrestling. I would run 2-3 miles and my shins would be killing me. Over a period of 3 months i started to see a huge difference in my calves. I would always incorporate smith machine calf raises and that didnt compare at all to what running did for my calves. I found a hill by my house that i would sprint up and walk down, rinse and repeat. At first, your legs are gna be sore as hell but you'll find that itll get easier and easier. For me atleast, this has been the best way to go about gaining calf muscle. hope this helps
    My situation is pretty much the same small calf no matter how hard I try. I remember running up and down the the bleachers during physical ed. in high school and you can really feel it in your calves and thighs. Gonna try this for sure.

grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) grantashley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Cool

[QUOTE=emp1acur;634219113]Squat/DL you will hear repeatedly. Do some more reading here because you have indeed found the right place for information.

However, don't just go in and start squatting. Get on a program and after reading you'll learn that if your weight is going to your belly/cheeks etc., what you are eating is probably not the right nutrition. So, sort out your nutrition as well. You won't grow muscle if you don't eat enough and eat right.

Check these out. Figure out what your caloric intake should be and research what your diet should be composed of.

great info!

Im gonna start the squats also then! hahaha
    I stopped smoking, so can you:
    www.relief-mallorca.com
    Dejar de fumar mallorca con relief.
    Hipnosis no funciona.

21.02.11:
    Weight - 77.4 kg - BF - 14%

Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok, so far it looks like squatting is the way to go so, I will try to follow some techniques found in this forum to do it right.

As far as eating a lot, I usually eat a lot but the thing is that it goes to the wrong parts of my body, belly and cheeks and nothing to my legs. Is there some sort of food that could help to gain leg volume?

Thank you all very much for your help!
    There's not a lot of control you have over where fat is stored on your body. There are certain hormones that alter where fat is deposited, like cortisol and estrogen, and there are foods, supplements, and/or hormones that affect fat storage around the waist, like green tea. I'm no expert on that, so I can't offer too much advice in that area. But I suggest that you get in shape instead, so that fat deposition isn't a problem on ANY part of your body.

I can tell that your main goal is appearance. I have no idea whether you're a man or woman, and I don't know whether you're currently skinny / average / overweight; but if I knew, I'd probably be giving advice to help your overall appearance instead of just your legs. With that said, you should get on a full-body routine no matter what, and it should definitely include squats no matter what, and it could probably use some stiff-legged deadlifts (a.k.a. SLDL's) as well. If you're a man, definitely eat more as well, which will help your legs grow and get stronger. If your workout routine is good, your body should be firmer rather than flabby, despite the excess calories, just make sure that you are getting A LOT of protein (1 gram per pound of bodyweight each day). Look in the stickies of this workout programs section for some good programs. Also, make sure you stick around bodybuilding.com and keep reading and learning.

Also, make sure your form is good on every exercise. You might want to go to the exercise section and check-out the stickies to study good form on the major lifts.

Originally Posted by noaddedhormones View Post
    squat 10set of 10 and watch your legs expand
    :-/ that sounds a little unconventional. 10 reps seems tolerable for adding mass, which is what we're going for here, but 10 sets just seems crazy.

Originally Posted by BIGSTTNJFF View Post
    Leg presses in the 20 rep range. And squats in the 8 to 10 range bro. Also only train legs once a week. It takes forever for them to recover.
    ? Once a week doesn't sound right to me. Every beginner program seems to call for full-body every other day. I'm sure there's some 3-day splits for intermediates that only call for working legs once a week, but I don't think that's what's called-for here.

Originally Posted by jst1225 View Post
    Is it your upper leggs or like your ankles/calves.. you say u dont wanna wear shorts so im assuming its your lower extremities. Im in the same boat with not wanting to wear shorts.. i have very above average quads and hams but the skinniest calves and ankles in existence.. It drives me insane because no matter how much i squat/deadlift/calf raise,press,etc. my upper legs keeps growing and my lower legs dont budge.. Dont really have any advice in that department unfortunatly nothing seems to work for me, maybe it really is genetics but i just dotn belive that sh*t.. IF its your upper legs (quads/hams) then squat and deadlift your heart out, they will grow fast.
    It seems that people have varying mechanical advantages in calf lifts, I think because of different-lengthed calcaneuses or whatever. That makes it so if you calf-raise X, it doesn't stimulate your muscle the same as if someone else calf-raises X. Just train your calves with the principles of a hypertrophy progam.

:-/ that sounds a little unconventional. 10 reps seems tolerable for adding mass, which is what we're going for here, but 10 sets just seems crazy.

? Once a week doesn't sound right to me. Every beginner program seems to call for full-body every other day. I'm sure there's some 3-day splits for intermediates that only call for working legs once a week, but I don't think that's what's called-for here.

buddy have a few cups of concrete n harden the F*ck up and try it before dissing it is my response to your first statement

and to your second i dare you to give try n work your legs for a second time in a week after doin that workout
    OL R&D
    NoChit

Ain't nothin but a peanut Kevin204's Avatar
    Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kevin204 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have 26" thighs and I'd like to thank deep squats (5reps) and romanian deadlifts (5reps). Plus diet.

now I just need to get my calves to grow... good luck brah
    Dumbbell chest press all day

Iamatripod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try cycling uphill in addition to squats.

Registered User transformerchad's Avatar
    transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000) transformerchad is just really nice. (+1000)
    eat at a calorie surplus , hit legs twice a week , train with super high intensity , as heavy as u can go with as perfect form as possible
    DEEP SQUATS is key! imo

jev12b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

u tellum

Originally Posted by noaddedhormones View Post

buddy have a few cups of concrete n harden the F*ck up and try it before dissing it is my response to your first statement

and to your second i dare you to give try n work your legs for a second time in a week after doin that workout
    Thnx noadded, I did just that "10×10's", didn't sound crazy to me and ur right the next few days are gonna be tender tippie toes "WoW"!! But that's exactly what I was looking for in a leg workout.

Many laughs with that cup of concrete line.
    If you want massive feathered thighs from a workout that's painless and easy "Fantasy land gyms" just a hop skip and a jump from Santa's workshop. And could you pick me up a choo choo on your way back.

wadea198 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wadea198 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wadea198 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wadea198 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wadea198 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Go to Kuwait

Hi,

Thanks a lot!

Ali Musawi is a bodybuilder since 1978 from Kuwait [see the website liaqti], somewhere in one of his videos he said that (from personal experience) to make your legs grow you have first to workout high rep (3*20) for three months, then to start hitting the weights.

I tried it and it works!!!