Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Skinny guy trying to gain weight

Hello all, first post, so here goes.
    I'm now 36 years old, and I'm finally tired of being skinny my entire life.
    I am married with 2 young children, and have recently had talks of a divorce, after some things that have happened lately.
    We are going to counseling now, and things seem to be improving, but it's a work in progress.
    Due to all of this, I managed to lose about 13 pounds during the course of about a month. Going to the bathroom all of the time from anxiety and not wanteing to eat much pretty much did it to me.
    I was skinny to begin with, so that didn't help things.
    I'm about 5' 8" or so.
    I'm embarrassed to say that I got down to about 106. Yeah, I know I'm a thin guy, and after seeing that, since I know that 119 was skinny before, I said to myself, this is enough.
    I got online, and order some optimum nutrition serious mass 6 lb. vanilla. I wanted to see if I liked the taste first before I got a 12 lb container.
    I have plans to go to a local gym (kind of expensive at $43 a month, but I will get reimburred $300 by my employer at the end of the year.
    I purchased a pull up bar that has multiple exercises, and a pair of dumbells at walmart.
    I have been keeping an eye on what I eat as well. Before, I was a junk food junkie, and I'd drink about 1 or 2 beers a night after dinner, if I felt like it. I cut that out of my diet, since I was put on anxiety meds by my doctor.
    I have been buying these things lately, that I had not before:
    Peanuts, baby carrots, whole milk, and have cut the snack cakes and junk food completely out. I only drink one pepsi a day now, and drink alot more water.
    I am drinking a 24 oz. shake with 3 scoops of ice cream, and fresh berries in the shake every night after dinner, when I work out. I also got some optimum nurtition creatine (the small 300 one) and I've only tried that in one shake the other night.
    I can say that I've gained about 6 pounds back so far in a week and a half,and I feel that my arms and shoulders are feeling more solid already. I'm also no longer in the bathroom all of the time, for the past week or so.
    I'm looking for some advise on what I should be eating, and any other tips that would help me. I don't want to getting into having to eat a bunch of raw eggs, and what not, but I would like to try to get some fast results, and maintain my personal fitness.
    I know getting into a gym would be a huge step.
    My ultimate goal has been to weight 150 pounds. I know that's not alot, but for me it is.
    Thanks in advance,
    DJ

Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bruins2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Did I mention that I have a super fast metabolism? lol

zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Weight control is about 80%/90% diet: Calories in vs Calories out

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Increase calories to gain 1-2 lbs / week.

Weight Lifting Routine:

All Pro's 'Simple Beginner's Routine'
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

OR

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (Google it)

Diet and Weight Loss:

Check out 'How to lose fat for Noobs':
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

For diet and calorie calculating info be sure to read:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Basically, just read the stickies and soak up all the great information

Good luck!

joedemo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5x5 training

Get the Starting Strength book By Rippetoe as stated above well worth the Money. He explains in detail the how and why.
    Another you can get online for free is stronglifts.
    You need to eat alot all the time. Try the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day)system. I used to be 5'9 138..I now way 220.

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow man that is a lot of stress. You have the right idea by cleaning up your diet. But take the time to build a proper bodybuilding diet. You will need to eat a lot, but eat a lot of the right foods. Check out the links provided above and read the stickies.

Good luck! You CAN do this.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zodzod View Post
    Weight control is about 80%/90% diet: Calories in vs Calories out

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Increase calories to gain 1-2 lbs / week.

Weight Lifting Routine:

All Pro's 'Simple Beginner's Routine'
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

OR

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (Google it)

Diet and Weight Loss:

Check out 'How to lose fat for Noobs':
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

For diet and calorie calculating info be sure to read:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

Basically, just read the stickies and soak up all the great information

Good luck!
    ^^^do this and keep consistent.

Try to eat as much real food as possible to get your daily protein (chicken, beef, pork, fish, eggs, cheese). Start off with one of the simpler lifting programs and build from there. Try to focus on compound movements like Bench press, Squats, Dead Lifts, Bent Over Rows, Shoulder Press, Pull Ups, etc. There’s really no need to go out and buy anything else. $43 bucks a month sounds pretty expensive for gym dues but if you’re locked in, then just ride it out and shop around when your times up.

Get familiar with this website, there's a ton of good information right here and it's free.

Good luck man.
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

Tyreedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyreedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyreedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyreedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tyreedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From personal experience, I was not gaining the mass that I wanted, no matter how hard I trained. I realized from this site, that I was not eating the amount needed to gain the mass that I wanted. I found this book that completely changed the way I ate, and so far the results have been that I have gained 8lbs of muscle within 4 weeks of training. I am hoping to gain another 8lbs by the end of this month, with the help of this diet. It may be a little confusing in the beginning, but keep on reading it and measure your foods till you get used to the plan. Also stop drinking soda, it is nothing but bad chemicals your body does not need. Save that for your free day!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lobliner25.htm

If the link does not work, do a search for the lean mass diet on this site.

jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrmannonIII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You've got to eat a LOT. Even when you're not hungry, you've got to force yourself. You also need to be lifting heavy weight. Don't go and try to bench press 300 lbs, but you need to focus on heavier weight, proper form, and slow, methodical reps. From lifting heavy, you'll find that your appetite will increase. I am 6'6", and I was 165 in college. I have always been a hard gainer. I now weigh 290, and I'm still gaining. I don't drink any soda or eat any junk food, but I'm not super strict about eating clean right now since my goal is to bulk up. Just eat what you can get your hands on, avoid excessive sugars, maybe add a creatine supplement and remember to get some protein immediately after you lift. Lift heavy, but keep proper form. Gaining weight for people like us takes hard work and dedication. You've got to push yourself to eat and lift. But don't overtrain! I do each bodypart once a week, except for calves, which I do twice a week. I'm in the gym 4 days a week for about 2 hours at a time.

I hope this helps....this is what has worked for me. Eat and lift to grow!

Joey

Thank you guys...
    I just purchased my 2nd bag (I got a 6 lb container to try it first) of ON Serious Mass Vanilla. I mix it with whole milk, breyers 3 flavor ice cream, and 1 whole banana. Good Stuff. This is after I work out a bit at night, and of course, after dinnertime.

I was looking online, and thought about getting a home bench, since my pull up bar doesn't do much for my legs.
    I can't post links yet, but at Sears dot com, I can get this:
    Weider Weight Bench Pro 390 L
    Impex Weight Set 300lb Olympic bar

I could have all of this for $400.

I think I could get a good start, and then I wouldn't have an excuse on why I shouldn't work out. I have a finished basement, so there is plenty of room, year round.
    I know it's about the same price as the gym membership, but I could also use it when my wife works her schedule.

I will be sure to check out all of the links too!

Thank you again for the links, and positive attitude.
    DJ

candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I'd agree with all above - eat way more, and there's some great creative ways to sneak extra food in without even knowing it.

First, if you only eat 3 square right now, move that up to 5 meals (6 if you can manage it). Do this by starting early (shouldn't be a challenge for you since you have kids!!) with say 3 boiled eggs coated in a good virgin olive oil at around 6.30am, followed by your first shake at some time within 2 hours of that. That leaves you free to be productive at work for a few hours before you prepare perhaps a few cans of flavoured tuna for yourself around 10.30am. At lunch, around 1pm or earlier, you'll have what you normally are having. That's 4 meals already. Then shoot for a 3.30pm snack of protein again (nuts, more eggs or tuna if you can handle it, perhaps a protein bar?), and on the drive home, maybe some trail mix or some other nut snack. That leave dinner around 7.30pm and that will be another normal meal. And finally, half an hour before bed, squeeze in either some more eggs, or a shake again. TOTAL = 8 small to medium meals, every 2-3 hours.

Obviously these are just meal suggestions, and rough timings only. You have to fit it to your lifestyle and timings. There will be days when you'll only manage half this, but half of 8 meals is 4 - and that's one more than you're probably having recently?

Best of luck - oh, and be patient. You can't fail if you eat enough.
    Witness the Fitness - one hope, one quest.

▪█───█▪ ▪█───█▪

tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tranck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you eat a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I promise you, you'll gain weight.
    Pitt Panther Fan!!!!

Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Cool

Eat sleep eat would be the way to go if you did not have kids and a bride that you want to hold on to.
    If I were you don't worry about cutting out everything as you need the calories.
    If you dont and you throw yourself into the gym you may go down to 98 pounds and end up in the hospital.
    By the way with the great kickback from the boss with the gym membership why not check out a family plan as the last thing you need is to spend time away from your family.
    Please remember that a healthy and a great body is admirable but to be known to be a DAD and a great husband and to live with honor is so much more

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bruins2011 View Post
    Did I mention that I have a super fast metabolism? lol
    You don't, seriously.

Metabolism is proportional to muscle mass, unless you are running marathons all the time, eating the house, and still small.

A big 300lb strongman who is packing away 6000 Calories(kcal) a day, and who's weight hasn't gone up or down for the last month, has a metabolism burning at a rate of 6000kcal per day.

If you are eating 2000kcal, and your weight is now steady, your metabolism is one third of his.

At such low bodymass, I suspect you are eating a lot less than that, and your metabolism is like that of a hibernating tortoise.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    You don't, seriously.

Metabolism is proportional to muscle mass, unless you are running marathons all the time, eating the house, and still small.
    Not sure I agree with this.

Reason I say is up the age of 25 I weighed 150 lbs and no matter what I ate or how much of it, there was no weight gain. Even went to a Dr who put me on high protein diet and there was no change. Then all of sudden 3 months before my 26th b-day I started gaining weight for no apparent reason....nothing changed diet wise or in my homelife at all. Put on 50 lbs in exactly 2 months.

he could very well have a high metabolism that simply hasn't slowed down yet.

Question

Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
    Not sure I agree with this.

Reason I say is up the age of 25 I weighed 150 lbs and no matter what I ate or how much of it, there was no weight gain. Even went to a Dr who put me on high protein diet and there was no change. Then all of sudden 3 months before my 26th b-day I started gaining weight for no apparent reason....nothing changed diet wise or in my homelife at all. Put on 50 lbs in exactly 2 months.

he could very well have a high metabolism that simply hasn't slowed down yet.
    My brother told me that my metabolism would slow down when I hit about 32. It didn't stop there. I hit 35 and it didn't slow down any yet either. I've done cereal in the morning, the Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, yogurt, and a little debbie at morning breaktime, full lunch, and a snack at 2pm break and still ate dinner, and nothing.
    I was not working out, but I thought I should have at least been getting a little bit of a gut.
    Nothing!
    The last 16 days, I have been on a anti-depressant called Pristiq, which supposedly curbes the appetite in some people. I have at the same time, changed my diet, and I am going off of this Pristiq. I stopped using it since last night, because I was going into Rage mode, and saying the worst things I could think of to my wife, and keep in mind, we are trying to make it work. I have read many online threads and posts about drastic stuff people have done when on this med.
    Anyway, back on topic...

I have been using about 2 teaspoons of creatine.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/crea.html the last few days with about 5 20 oz. bottles of water. When I've been doing my home workouts.
    I have also been doing a nightly weight gainer shake of Optimum Nutrition's Serious Mass (it says 1250 calories, but I round the scoops, I don't do the heaping ones...too much powder on the counter!), but I use whole milk, 3 scoops of ice cream, and sometimes a whole banana. I sometimes add 2 or 3 heaping table spoons of Jif peanut butter.
    I do this in addition to my meals and food that I eat all day. I average between about 3000 and 3300 calories a day or so. I did have a day where I had over 3700 calories last week.
    I gained 3 pounds this week. I need to stop weighing myself every mornig and night I think!

Last thing.
    What is the difference between what I have which is the NI Serious Mass weight gainer.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/sm.html, and a Whey Protein, like bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
    ?

Thanks in advance!
    DJ

candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50) candyflip69 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I gained 3 pounds this week. I need to stop weighing myself every mornig and night I think!
    Absolutely!! Once a week should be fine.

3 pounds a week is a huge amount (if it was lean body mass), but its going to be mostly fat I'm betting.... Still, weight gain is weight gain for your current purposes. If you add 3 pounds a week for 10 weeks only, do the math...
    Witness the Fitness - one hope, one quest.

▪█───█▪ ▪█───█▪

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    You don't, seriously.

Metabolism is proportional to muscle mass,
    Not true. Yes, Muscle mass burns more calories than fat for example (7 calories power lb per day vs 3 calories power lb power day) but your metabolism is affected by many things, chiefly your pituitary and thyroid. What you easy can affect your metabolism to a small degree as well. Its well documented that ppl with a very fast metabolism may need as much as 1000 calories a day more than same weight peers.

T hat said, many ppl over estimate how much they actually eat.

Smile

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Not true. Yes, Muscle mass burns more calories than fat for example (7 calories power lb per day vs 3 calories power lb power day) but your metabolism is affected by many things, chiefly your pituitary and thyroid. What you easy can affect your metabolism to a small degree as well. Its well documented that ppl with a very fast metabolism may need as much as 1000 calories a day more than same weight peers.

T hat said, many ppl over estimate how much they actually eat.
    I think the diffrence is that they last 2 weeks, I've actually tried to write everything down. And I have an APP called MyFitnessPal which knows alot of the foods calories and nutrients, so that makes it a bit easier. I've missed a few days of using the app, but I write down things, and make sure that I've been bringing the same things for snacks and breaktime at work. I also make sure to do the shakes at night.
    I just need to work out more, and I'm only doing the chin up/pull up bar along with dumb bells right now. Gotta have something, whether it be a cheap planet fitness membership, or drop $400 on weights and a combo bench.

Oh yeah, did anyone know the difference betwenn whey protein, and weight gainer, and what would serve me best?
    Thanks,
    DJ

I think the diffrence is that they last 2 weeks, I've actually tried to write everything down. And I have an APP called MyFitnessPal which knows alot of the foods calories and nutrients, so that makes it a bit easier. I've missed a few days of using the app, but I write down things, and make sure that I've been bringing the same things for snacks and breaktime at work. I also make sure to do the shakes at night.
    I just need to work out more, and I'm only doing the chin up/pull up bar along with dumb bells right now. Gotta have something, whether it be a cheap planet fitness membership, or drop $400 on weights and a combo bench.

Oh yeah, did anyone know the difference betwenn whey protein, and weight gainer, and what would serve me best?
    Thanks,
    DJ
    I see my dr. Tuesday about this med I've been taking, and I may ask him to check my thyroid.
    SICK OF BEING SKRAWNY!

On a side note, is Planert Fitness really that bad? It's cheap, but I've read about this lunk alarm, and there is no grunting. Sounds kind of absurd to me. I grunt sometimes when I take my keys out of my pocket while sitting down. lol
    Don't want to get the boot for dumb ####.
    Last edited by Bruins2011; 05-30-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Cool

Originally Posted by Tyreedge View Post
    From personal experience, I was not gaining the mass that I wanted, no matter how hard I trained. I realized from this site, that I was not eating the amount needed to gain the mass that I wanted. I found this book that completely changed the way I ate, and so far the results have been that I have gained 8lbs of muscle within 4 weeks of training. I am hoping to gain another 8lbs by the end of this month, with the help of this diet. It may be a little confusing in the beginning, but keep on reading it and measure your foods till you get used to the plan. Also stop drinking soda, it is nothing but bad chemicals your body does not need. Save that for your free day!

bodybuilding.com/fun/lobliner25.htm

If the link does not work, do a search for the lean mass diet on this site.
    Thanks Ty, I will look into this, and when I do sign up for the gym, I will ask the trainer, or at least let them take a look at it to see how they can help me learn those excercises.
    Thank,
    DJ

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks,
    DJ
    For now go with weight gainer. It has lots of carbs and protein. I was in your shoes in october of 2009. It takes time.

Does anyone here go to Planet Fitness?
    If so, what are your thoughts?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does anyone here go to Planet Fitness?
    If so, what are your thoughts?
    ... and how much protein should one eat and are deadlifts & squats bad for your back & knees?

edit: PF-- depends on your goals. mass is mass, gravity is gravity. PF has its personality like most places. If it's PF or nothing, I'd do PF, but that's about the only condition.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Soundtrack Always Playing DanceDiva's Avatar
    DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanceDiva will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A grown man with internet access that is 5'8", 119 lbs, on anti-depressants and asking about Planet Fitness.

If this is not trolly, then it smells like it requires live, in-person intervention.
    -- Keep the Faith Baby (Adam Clayton Powell)

-- "If Plan A is to take multiple .338 shots to the back, you really need to come
    up with a Plan B."

Originally Posted by DanceDiva View Post
    A grown man with internet access that is 5'8", 119 lbs, on anti-depressants and asking about Planet Fitness.

If this is not trolly, then it smells like it requires live, in-person intervention.
    Not on the anti depressants anymore. I quit them Saturday!
    Anyway, I did the old search feature, and some of their rules seem a bit much to me. I wasn't planning on screaming or throwing stuff, but damn, it sounds like working out a church group.
    I may need an intervention. I have looked into Anytime Fitness, but the price is around $42 a month. I can't decide on doing that, or buying about $400 worth of at home equipment.
    I could have my 4 year old son spot me.

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO, whether you go with a home gym or Planet Fitness depends on what kind of lifting and 'program' you are going to run. In my case, the local YMCA has everything I need and doesn't complain about me grunting a little or using chalk as long as I clean up after myself. Since deadlifts are a staple to me I couldn't be restricted in this sense like it sounds like planet fitness does. If I couldn't have that I'd build my own home gym as well.

As to using Whey or weight gainer -- I'd go with whey and add your own natural 'weight gainers'. I don't know what kind of crap they're using these days but I bet it isn't as healthy as putting in some raw walnuts or almonds with some plain yogurt and blueberries. Need more calories? Extra virgin olive oil. You won't taste it but it'll add quality calories to your protein shakes.

Good luck man!

TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Be careful of "what" you eat as you eat more (I think I read ice cream a couple of times in your posts!?!?!).

I was malnourished w/severe COPD when I started working out. I ate everything is sight, including what I thought was good stuff like granola cereal 2x day. I gained, seriously, 45 pounds in about six months after quitting smoking. It wasn't a clean 45 pounds though and I've struggled for the first time in my life with dieting. I'm about 20% body fat now and getting closer to my goal of 17% and hope to see some abs.

Read the articles, eat the 'right' foods in the right quantities at the right times and you'll grow at a much better rate and results than I did. Best wishes and happy training!!
    Be well and breathe deep.

Originally Posted by TooSlow View Post
    Be careful of "what" you eat as you eat more (I think I read ice cream a couple of times in your posts!?!?!).

I was malnourished w/severe COPD when I started working out. I ate everything is sight, including what I thought was good stuff like granola cereal 2x day. I gained, seriously, 45 pounds in about six months after quitting smoking. It wasn't a clean 45 pounds though and I've struggled for the first time in my life with dieting. I'm about 20% body fat now and getting closer to my goal of 17% and hope to see some abs.

Read the articles, eat the 'right' foods in the right quantities at the right times and you'll grow at a much better rate and results than I did. Best wishes and happy training!!
    Thanks man...Yeah, the ice cream is something I add to the shake to make it a bit colder, and I don't eat it without the shake.
    I sometimes substitute the ice cream for peanut butter, in which case I can't put any of it back in the freezer, because the pb gets nasty imo.
    I am eating very well, and no little debbies, snack cakes, and I even gave up my beloved bud light all together. It's been almost 20 days since I've cracked one of those open. It coincided with the medication, and I am alllowed to have maybe one per night with what I was on, but I never did. Plus I heard or read somewhere that alcohol kind of worked against what I was trying to do, health wise.
    I usually have Wheaties fuel when I wake up at 5 with a cup of tea *instead of coffee. I have a teaspoon of sugar and some fr.van. coffeemate.
    Breaktime, at 8:45am, I have a small ziplock of honey roasted peanuts, a cheese stick, a banana and a pudding. The stores around here stopped stocking breyers fruit on the bottom yogurt. This weekend, I picked up a few dannon brand, and some store brand yogurt.
    Back while I'm working (in a factory) I am usually about to finish bottle number 2 of my h20. It's a 20 oz. bottle.
    Lunchtime is at 11:30am, I have a normal lunch, usually a turkey and cheese sandwhich with a small bag of carrots and a vitamin water or gatorade.
    At 2pm break I have a pudding, or carrots, depending on what I didn't eat earlier. I'm usually finishing bottle #3 of h20 at this time too.
    3pm, I get out, and sometimes stop on my way home to make a small weight gainer shake to tide me over before dinner. I then go get the kids.
    We usually eat around 5:30pm.
    I either do my workout when I get home, if the weather is bad. It's finally sunny the last few days, so I may switch to the morning at 5am.
    I then make my big shake before the kids go to bed at 7:30pm, and drink off of that the rest of the night.
    When I do my workout, I have a 20 oz. of h20 with a teaspoon of creatine with it.
    I'm not sure if my workouts are at the right time of day, or if I am doing things really wrong.
    I just know that I've given up Pepsi at lunch, snak cakes during the day, and no beer at night.

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Planet Fitness has a reputation around here. A bad one. If it's all you have, then it's all you have. It's better than nothing. I'd look for a local YMCA as well. I lifted at the Y for a couple of years and liked it just fine.

If you're serious about this, join Planet Fitness or the Y and start hitting the weights.

Then, scour Craigslist for sweet deals on a power cage, some olympic weights, and some dumbbells. If you live in an area where it gets too cold to do cardio outdoors, also keep an eye on some kind of cardio machine that you enjoy. Buy the stuff locally so you can see/try before you buy, and avoid shipping hassles.

I purchased my home gym almost entirely on Craigslist, for probably 25% of what it would cost new. Now I have everything I need.

850 lbs of Olympic weights

Ez Curl Bar

Super Ez Curl Bar

2 Olympic Barbells
    Power Cage w/Lat Pulldown/Row attachment

Bench

Leg Press/Hack Squat

Spin Bike

Elliptical Machine

Dumbbells from 10 lbs up to 65 lbs

Now I work out in my own basement, wearing what I want, when I want, listening to my own music and grunting however I see fit.

I'm so noisy (it's involuntary) that I wouldn't last more than 5 minutes at Planet Fitness.

AtlasMugged has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As Many said on here, you clearly need to eat more AND keep lifting or your gains will make you skinny-fat.

The best news is, as a begginer, if you eat right and stay motivated in the gym or at home lifting, your gain will come REAL fast. I had a "fast metabolism" when I started at 158lbs but 6'2" tall. Within 7 months I was 180. THe last 6 pounds have come much slower, but have sped up since a long plateau as I added even MORE quality calories taking into account my maintenance increased along with my weight. I am back to gaining a pound a week. You should gain at least that much each week for the foreseeable future if you are at least 500 cals over maintenance each day.

Ohh.. minimal cardio.... don't burn your gains. Your stress will drop as you see results and realize YOU must take care of YOU before you are any use to your wife/kids. Make time for YOU.