hemms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sets and Reps for Bulking Up

Does anyone know how many sets and reps you should be aiming for to build muscle and bulk up?

Thanks.

tarrant65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can anyone answer this???

I'd like to know too. Seems that these days people are doing less and less sets

Registered User whatsyourexcuse's Avatar
    whatsyourexcuse has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whatsyourexcuse has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whatsyourexcuse has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whatsyourexcuse has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whatsyourexcuse has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i would say work up to a max of 3-5 reps for your bench and for your squats i would work up to a max of about 5-7 then every 3 or 4 weeks do 20 rep squats.you cant keep doing the same thing thou, do one chest workout using alot of weight and low reps, then do your next chest workout using lower weight and high reps. search for a "workout plan caled westside for skinny bastards" if you are serios about gaining weight and bulk up it will work.

Can we post links??

Here goes anyway..(on the right menu)

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm

blinkingbuddha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm...2CAF854&locID=

this should answer your question about sets and reps, although keep in mind that i'm just a beginner. but this advice is straight from the doctor.

CycoTron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CycoTron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i use 3 sets of 8, heavy weight, and once i get 8x8x8 move up 5lbs next time.

go to failure at the last set every time, even if it takes you past 8 reps.

been working great for my bulking..

Is this for compound only? What about isolation exercises?

I heard that the more isolation exercises you do the less sets for each exercise you should do. for example If you were doing 1 isolation exercise you would do maybe 3 or 4 sets. if you were gonna do 3 isolation exercises then you would do only 1 or 2 sets per exercise.

doer20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    6-12 reps are best for building. you must be going to failure or you will not be hitting the 2b fibers which you need to be if you want to make big gains

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by doer20
    6-12 reps are best for building. you must be going to failure or you will not be hitting the 2b fibers which you need to be if you want to make big gains
    ?
    failure is not required to gain mass

doer20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kane Fan
    ?
    thats true but if you dont go to failure you will not make very big gains

Hit it hard or go home jonestod's Avatar
    jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jonestod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally think it depends on the person... I gain from high reps in legs and only 1 or 2 sets, for instance, i make better gains doing say 315 on squats for 25- 3- reps fpr 1 set than doing 405 for 3 sets of 8....
    But, my chest grows better doing lower reps... I do a lot of rest pause and static contration w/ chest and arms... i do lower reps to ultimate failure. but shoulders and back for me again, grow better w/ higher reps and less rest between sets... But that is me.... if you have any questions on my workouts please feel to ask me...
    Attached Images

Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey matey. A good starter program involves 3 days around the three major lifts: EXAMPLE: Benchpress, deadlift and squats (5x5 or 4x6). And, 1 assistance exercise per muscle group at 3x8 (example, on bench your assistance muscles would be front delts and triceps). Don't do too much, the 5x5 takes a good chunk out of the hour.

AllenSlewa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by Kane Fan View Post
    ?
    True. IMO though, I would recommend doing 4 sets of 8 with heavy weight. **BUT** weight that you rarely hit. (85-90% max) Keep in mind when you're bulking don't even think about going heavy if your form is ****ty. If you got form down then by all means. Lol take my opinion or not. As the hodge twins say "DO WHATEVER THE ****! YOU WANNA DO!"

Some Assembly Required BalyunPex's Avatar
    BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BalyunPex has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AllenSlewa View Post
    I would recommend doing 4 sets of 8 with heavy weight. **BUT** weight that you rarely hit. (85-90% max)
    • Strong 9-yr bump
    * Strong concept of using what is a 3-5 rep max ... for 4x8 reps."Rarely hit", indeed.
    Cy8 5/3/1 SQ:255 - BP:235 - DL:345 - OHP:150

Action Figure Sold Separately