You look nervous......... jman14's Avatar
    jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000) jman14 is just really nice. (+1000)

How do you complete a protein?

ok, so i have things like whole wheat bagels that have 12 g protein, and i kno that these are incomplete proteins cause they don't have the full amino acid profile (right?). well, how do you complete proteins like this and other things like the protein from nuts. what do u eat with it to get the full amino profile?

LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiL USMC BBer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Two or more incpmlete proteins = complete protein.

Or you can just mix it with a complete source and its ok..

Typically I don't usually count the protein intake from things like oats, breads, nuts or any other non-animal source protein.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and hear all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. ~Henry Rollins

cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cnock has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN View Post
    Two or more incpmlete proteins = complete protein.

Or you can just mix it with a complete source and its ok..

Typically I don't usually count the protein intake from things like oats, breads, nuts or any other non-animal source protein.
    i wouldnt just say it in such a broad general term. You would in fact have to find the amino profile of the food your missing and then find a food that contains the aminos missing and eat both of them together. That or you could just eat a meat which would be much easier. But oyu are right about generaly not counting protien from non animal sources. Basicly anything outside of an animal amno source is basicly worthless.
    You know your a bodybuilder when you stop seeing food and start seeing numbers.

Mass impresses people but conditioning wins competitions.

The difference between me and you is im willing to push it till it breaks and you only push it till it aches.

Meal after meal. Rep after rep. All the while tired and stuffed. Why do i do this? So that one day i can look in the mirror and see something satisfying and complete. All the while knowing i will never be satisfied nor complete.

eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50) eyesonly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by cnock View Post
    But oyu are right about generaly not counting protien from non animal sources. Basicly anything outside of an animal amno source is basicly worthless.
    LOL! I'm a meat eater til I die, but I bet all the vegheads that visit this forum just haaaate hearing stuff like that!
    /
    -----> If something I said amused, informed, or entertained you, click that white scale-ish icon doohickey on the left. Reps are appreciated, and I rep back! <-----

owe reps to: <your name here>

kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kennny d is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by eyesonly View Post
    LOL! I'm a meat eater til I die, but I bet all the vegheads that visit this forum just haaaate hearing stuff like that!
    x2 I count the protein from everything I eat, vegeterians and other sources like milk are widely used

jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    by combining two incomplete proteins you can make a complete protein: combine cereal grains w/ legumes
    examples: beans with tortillas/bread with peanut butter etc...

you can also combine a complete protein with an incomplete protein to increase the protein quality: eating dairy/meat/eggs with grains or legumes...
    "As sure as the world stands, you jf1 shall spend an eternity in Hell in eternal torment..."
    jake24

jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jfla32033 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jman14 View Post
    ok, so i have things like whole wheat bagels that have 12 g protein, and i kno that these are incomplete proteins cause they don't have the full amino acid profile (right?). well, how do you complete proteins like this and other things like the protein from nuts. what do u eat with it to get the full amino profile?
    just make sure u are getting another good protein source along with that bagel, maybe a 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese or a big wad of fat free cream cheese.....and to make life easier on yourself just count half the bagel's protein and move on to the next meal
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus

silverb5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am curious if someone can help determine what would make oats complete when I look at their amino profile here
    hxxp://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21U4.html
    ( just fix the prefix I wasnt sure If I am allowed live links)

The only amino's I do not see listed there are , glutamine, ornithine and taurine Is that correct ? If so would simply supplementing these proteins allow your oats to "become" a complete protein and be able to count their value for your daily intake or is it not that simple. Has more to do with the percentage of each amino acid ?

I am having trouble finding the exact profile of a protein with ratios of all aminos involved as well or is ti simply one to one of each ?

silverb5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just found this list elsewhere how accurate does this look to be ?

Sources of Complementary Proteins
    Grains Legumes Nuts/Seeds
    Barley Beans Sesame seeds
    Bulgur Lentils Sunflower seeds
    Cornmeal Dried peas Walnuts
    Oats Peanuts Cashews
    Buckwheat Chickpeas Pumpkin seeds
    Rice, Soy products Other nuts
    Pasta,
    Rye,
    Wheat

Combinations to Create Complete Proteins
    Combine Grains and Legumes / Combine Grains and Nuts/Seeds / Combine Legumes and Nuts,Seeds

Peanut butter on whole-wheat bread
    Whole-wheat bun with sesame seeds
    Humus (chickpeas and sesame paste)
    Rice and beans
    Breadsticks rolled with sesame seeds
    Trail mix (peanuts and sunflower seeds)
    Bean soup and a roll
    Rice cakes with peanut butter
    Salad with chickpeas and cornbread
    Tofu-vegetable stir-fry over rice or pasta
    Vegetarian chili with bread

source:hxxp://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm
    Last edited by silverb5; 05-30-2007 at 10:50 AM.

depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50) depositio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by silverb5 View Post
    I am curious if someone can help determine what would make oats complete when I look at their amino profile here
    hxxp://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21U4.html
    ( just fix the prefix I wasnt sure If I am allowed live links)

The only amino's I do not see listed there are , glutamine, ornithine and taurine Is that correct? If so would simply supplementing these proteins allow your oats to "become" a complete protein and be able to count their value for your daily intake or is it not that simple. Has more to do with the percentage of each amino acid ?

I am having trouble finding the exact profile of a protein with ratios of all aminos involved as well or is ti simply one to one of each ?
    No, that is not correct. Those are not essential amino acids (which alone constitute a complete protein). Your whole understanding of what makes a protein complete for humans seems like a "stab in the dark." You can google "complete protein" or search wikipedia to educate yourself on this topic.

Nutritiondata provides you with a crude tool to "complete" proteins. Scroll down to the "Protein Quality" table. Below it, you will see "Protein Complements" with a link that will generate a list of other sources which are especially rich in the missing key amino in the food you are trying to balance. The tool is not failsafe. But it provides a good starting point or gives you a sense of whether indeed you are eating something else (at some point during the day) that balances the protein in your oats (for example). It is not necessary to complete the protein in your mouth or in a single meal. Think of the completion of incomplete proteins instead in relation to each daily feeding/metabollic cycle. You do want to fuel up with complete proteins around your workouts if you are bodybuilding of course. And it is best to aim to complete a protein within 4 hours (as a ballpark figure)--otherwise the incomplete protein will be denytrogenated and converted into carbs/fats. As others have suggested, it's a good idea to always buffer any incomplete protein with at least a little bit of complete protein (e.g. milk).

There's absolutely no reason not to count all of the protein you consume from plant and animal sources if you eat a balanced diet full of variety.
    Last edited by depositio; 05-30-2007 at 11:11 AM.
    "To [(de)bunk],or not to [(de)bunk], I there's the point." Shakespeare (1603).

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    supplement with EAA's