Registered User Spartanbaziotis's Avatar
    Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000)

I started Paleo before I started lifting, want to know if i should eat differently.

I know i'll probably be flamed for this thread, but **** happens lol. This is not a discussion on whether Paleo is good or bad. I don't need to be told what it is, what the ideas are behind it, or why people do it. I am doing it now, have been for a few months. All I want to know is your ideas on whether or not one can be successful in bodybuilding following such a diet. I just started lifting and want to know if It would be beneficial for me to be eating grains, legumes, and dairy basically. Processed sugar is going to stay out for the most part anyway.
    I'm back?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    Assuming you meet macros it is a fine way to eat
    Unnecessarily restrictive for most people but their is no reason you cant gain muscle eating that way.
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100) rolandszi is not very well liked. (-100)
    skim milk has good casein.

Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000) Spartanbaziotis is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rolandszi View Post
    skim milk has good casein.
    ...ehh thanks?
    I'm back?

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    May I ask you reasoning for choosing Paleo?
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The name of the diet plan you follow has absolutely no relationship to the outcome of a diet.

What determines the outcome of your diet are the actual calories you consume and meeting micro/macronutrient sufficiency.

OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000) OoChadwickoO is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by determined4000 View Post
    May I ask you reasoning for choosing Paleo?
    He's preparing to go back in time to act like a Caveman... Rawr.

Originally Posted by OoChadwickoO View Post
    He's preparing to go back in time to act like a Caveman... Rawr.
    Hey you gotta admit...picking heavy stuff up and putting it back down for an hour does sound kinda caveman-ish doesn't it?

I actually just wanted to get less fat, which I did, lost fifteen or so in a month. But now that i've decided to try and build a physique (Look at the picture, nothing there lol) I am re-evaluating just about everything I do to try and maximize newbie gains.
    I'm back?

Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Spartanbaziotis View Post
    Hey you gotta admit...picking heavy stuff up and putting it back down for an hour does sound kinda caveman-ish doesn't it?

I actually just wanted to get less fat, which I did, lost fifteen or so in a month. But now that i've decided to try and build a physique (Look at the picture, nothing there lol) I am re-evaluating just about everything I do to try and maximize newbie gains.
    You lost weight due to calorie deficit not the diet you were on, now dont get this wrong congrats for sure but 15lbs in a month is pretty quick, i know it feels awesome to get it off (former fatty here) but its not the best way to do it, you could end up losing muscle and having tons of extra skin, neither of which is good.

As for the diet its really up to you but there is no diet that will lose more fat then another.....I lost 64lbs no special diets and i still had so called "cheat foods" and i have abs and no extra skin.

I really wish you the best man and keep up the good work it will pay off
    "Voracious Overeaters Crew" (JasonDB) lol

Starting weight 235 lbs(April 2012) - Oct 29/12 159.1 lbs (FAIL)

Starting weight again 230 -235 lbs May 2015 - Nov 2015.. 211.9

Bulking

NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    About a year ago I've read a lot of negative comments from bodybuilders on Paleo, because the lack of carbs prevents proper muscle gain. Not sure how true is that, and where most of carbs on Paleo come from (as they avoid grains, starches, etc), but it seems to make sense to me. I wouldn't do Paleo, but then I wouldn't do Keto too. I love potatoes.

Originally Posted by Tdiguy View Post
    You lost weight due to calorie deficit not the diet you were on, now dont get this wrong congrats for sure but 15lbs in a month is pretty quick, i know it feels awesome to get it off (former fatty here) but its not the best way to do it, you could end up losing muscle and having tons of extra skin, neither of which is good.

As for the diet its really up to you but there is no diet that will lose more fat then another.....I lost 64lbs no special diets and i still had so called "cheat foods" and i have abs and no extra skin.

I really wish you the best man and keep up the good work it will pay off

Hey thanks man haha. Yeah, fifteen in a month is pretty quick. I didn't count calories before last week when I started lifting so I am not positive what my deficit was, i'm sure there was one though because I do eat a bit more now it seems. I like to think a big part of the weight loss was no longer consuming all the processed sugar.
    Former fatty here, too used to be real big. Was 270 at 5'9" at my fattest with about 35% bodyfat...I was basically a piece of furniture.
    I'm actually not worried about losing fat for the time being, just want to see how big i can get;preferably with muscle mass this time instead of fat though ;+D I'll worry about cutting after I get some size on me. Just not entirely sure about what would be most beneficial. I mean I know fruits and veggies have carbs as well, but it definitely seems that most people who are real big get their carbs from grains like pasta, etc. for the most part.
    Just trying to feel it out without sounding too incredibly ignorant haha.
    I'm back?

Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tdiguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NBThing View Post
    About a year ago I've read a lot of negative comments from bodybuilders on Paleo, because the lack of carbs prevents proper muscle gain. Not sure how true is that, and where most of carbs on Paleo come from (as they avoid grains, starches, etc), but it seems to make sense to me. I wouldn't do Paleo, but then I wouldn't do Keto too. I love potatoes.
    Carbs arent needed, your body will convert extra protein or fat into energy, its not as efficient as eating carbs but the body will adjust. Having said that there is no benefit to doing it that way really either unless you would rather not eat carbs for personal reasons....Im like you im keeping my carbs as well lol

op...your body doesnt know carbs from other carbs...those found in fruit dont differ from pop tarts, ice cream, pasta. ect....as far as building muscle carb choices do not matter. Side note fruit of course has better macros and micros then processed stuff however if your getting enough micros else where ie meats and veggies whey shakes ect then having processed sugar is not an issues. If you want to avoid them for personal reasons (ie..food trigger, none filling, feel worse when you eat them ect) then by all means do so
    Last edited by Tdiguy; 12-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Bulking

Carbs arent needed, your body will convert extra protein or fat into energy, its not as efficient as eating carbs but the body will adjust. Having said that there is no benefit to doing it that way really either unless you would rather not eat carbs for personal reasons....Im like you im keeping my carbs as well lol

op...your body doesnt know carbs from other carbs...those found in fruit dont differ from pop tarts, ice cream, pasta. ect....as far as building muscle carb choices do not matter. Side note fruit of course has better macros and micros then processed stuff however if your getting enough micros else where ie meats and veggies whey shakes ect then having processed sugar is not an issues. If you want to avoid them for personal reasons (ie..food trigger, none filling, feel worse when you eat them ect) then by all means do so
    Alright, thanks for the info mate. It's hard to get out of the mindset of "this makes you fat; this doesn't" haha.
    Think i'll start adding some stuff back in slowly.
    I'm back?

Alright, thanks for the info mate. It's hard to get out of the mindset of "this makes you fat; this doesn't" haha.
    Think i'll start adding some stuff back in slowly.
    No i hear you for sure...i had the same issue when i first started, then i spent the last 3 months of my cut trying things out and eating ice cream/pasta/pop tarts while getting proper micros/macros and working out and i actually had more progress and better lifting....again that was a mind over matter pacebo effect but still i lost fat, and felt great and actually enjoyed dieting

Bulking

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Congratulations on your weight loss. 15lbs in a month is good way for the start of a new lifestyle. However, from this point on, if you want optimal results, start counting your Macros (whether you are Paleo or not). This will ensure you are getting the proper amounts of fats and protein, and it will also ensure you don't **** with your metabolism and goes to ****. Personally, I would get rid of Paleo because it is too restrictive and I don't believe cutting out grains has any health benefits unless you're gluten intolerant. But you can do whatever the **** you want to do!

NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10) NBThing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, I've seen reports and Lyle's look into the Keto diet, and I think he was the one that mentioned that such diet isn't advisable if one is looking to gain/preserve muscle mass, as Keto is on par with muscle loss because of the lack of carbs.

omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Never been able to cut out carbs completely while dieting personally. It just makes me too weak. Even cutting out too many fats makes you weak. Your body needs a decent mix of macros and micros to function properly. That being said, when cutting less carbs and fats are desirable. Fats are low because the calorie cost per gram (9 vs. 4 for carbs and protein) limits your food intake on a cut and carbs are low because you are trying to maintain LBM and therefore need to spend those 4 calories on protein to meet your macros.

I personally modulate my carbs with my daily effort (i.e. eat more carbs on workout vs. rest days) and I also frame my carb meals around my pre/post workout. Doing this while eating "clean" has allowed me to lose over 25lbs on my latest cut without counting calories. To each his own, but I personally prefer eating "clean" most of the time and just controlling my portions/macros to achieve the bf% I need. Once you get used to eat clean most of the time all the fad diets kind of start to look like "gimmicks" to force you to drop a macro or food group in order to achieve a caloric deficit. From a thermodynamic perspective it's all about calories in vs. calories out and if you are constantly in deficit then you will lose weight even on a $**t diet. Although again, I stress that eating clean has other benefits outside of just weight loss and I recommend eating clean most of the time unless you are some kind of crazy hardgainer.

Started adding stuff back in pretty slowly. I am thinking Dairy is gonna have to stay out, makes me feel like real Crud for a few hours after consuming it. Any recommendations for a milk replacement in protein shakes? I am fine with water, i use that now, just thinking of added macros/micros since i drink them already, might as well squeeze my nutrients out of every source possible.
    I'm back?

Registered User airmansprincess's Avatar
    airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250) airmansprincess has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Started adding stuff back in pretty slowly. I am thinking Dairy is gonna have to stay out, makes me feel like real Crud for a few hours after consuming it. Any recommendations for a milk replacement in protein shakes? I am fine with water, i use that now, just thinking of added macros/micros since i drink them already, might as well squeeze my nutrients out of every source possible.
    Almond milk? Dairy free (sisters lactose intolerant) and it has high protien too!

nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nwalt001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you should be fine, just make sure to get enough fats carbs and protein.

if anything you will just be more healthy.

BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigJoe96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I use to wrestle 195, I ate brown rice. (2Cups most likely)

I mixed it up, brown rice with fish/steak/grilled chicken.

Now I'm 186 going to wrestle 184, I don't eat rice, or almost any thing that has massive carbs.

You should eat carbs before 6, or before you go workout heavy.

Honestly, Pollo Tropical is pretty good in gaining muscle and bulking pretty clean.

Good thing I'm hispanic and I have a home version of PT.