Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Examples of High Intensity Interval Training

Could someone give me some examples of HIIT exercises? I know running sprints is one.

I am about to head to the gym and whenever I use to exercise machines in there (it is an over outside right now in Texas which is why I am working out indoors), I always choose the interval program and I notice my heart rate capping out at around 155-160 BPM. I'm 22 and about 195 lbs. Does my heart rate qualify for the HIIT target?

Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HIIT is about how much effort you put out and not how much effort a machine forces you to put out. If you use an elliptical make your "sprint" effort a 8-9 out of 10 and your jog effort a 3-5. Dont use the machine programs.

uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) uracowman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Pennyw1se View Post
    HIIT is about how much effort you put out and not how much effort a machine forces you to put out. If you use an elliptical make your "sprint" effort a 8-9 out of 10 and your jog effort a 3-5. Dont use the machine programs.
    I thought HIIT was all about your heart rate relative to your age and weight?

Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pennyw1se has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, yeah, but lets assume you are outside, running sprints and have no HR monitor (how many people actually do?). How are you going to calculate your HR? Will you not do HIIT because you dont have a HR monitor?

aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aocilka11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
    I thought HIIT was all about your heart rate relative to your age and weight?
    not really. hiit is traing with your heart rate almosted maxed out for a short period of time and then resting and repeating. for whatever machine your on, warm up then go hard 30 secs then back off but keep moving for 30 secs and repeat about 8-10 more times
    Current/Goal:July 18th (17th birthday)
    Bench- 235/315
    Squat- 330/400
    Deadlift- 325/450

Originally Posted by aocilka11 View Post
    not really. hiit is traing with your heart rate almosted maxed out for a short period of time and then resting and repeating. for whatever machine your on, warm up then go hard 30 secs then back off but keep moving for 30 secs and repeat about 8-10 more times
    does the amount of resistance matter at all or just going at it really hard?

The higher the resistance the harder it will be to keep a high level of intensity for 30-60 seconds. Try it out different levels and see what you can handle.

bsfln has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    does the amount of resistance matter at all or just going at it really hard?
    HIIT is a cardio exercise, doesn't make sense you add weight
    Weight:
    Actual: 169 lbs - Goal: 150 lbs

^ For elliptical machines you can up the resistance level. On treadmills you can increase the angle (blanking out on the term).

Originally Posted by bsfln View Post
    HIIT is a cardio exercise, doesn't make sense you add weight
    I just asked because generally when resistance is increased, heart rate increases.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you raise the resistence on say an elliptical or raise the elevation on a treadmill your sprinting pace and "jogging" pace will be slower is all. Meaning if your sprint is ordinarily 7mph (just throwing a random number out), if you raise the elevation your sprint might be 6.5mph or less. It still counts as HIIT.

But for simplicities sake, most people keep the elevation flat on a treadmill, and don't raise the resistence on the elliptical or bike too much. However, if you're outside you can't really control the terrain but it could be an extra challenge to find some hills.

The higher the resistance the harder it will be to keep a high level of intensity for 30-60 seconds. Try it out different levels and see what you can handle.
    I don't think it's a good idea. It's likely to burn more muscle instead of fat.
    Weight:

Whats not a good idea? Adding some resistance to an elliptical, for example? While adding TOO much resistance may not be a good idea there is no way in hell that I would be able to do HIIT at 0 on an elliptical. You need some resistance, even if its low. Im sure not all elliptical machines are the same but when I do HIIT (rarely) I set it to 10 (I think, since its been a while), but no less than 8.

Whats not a good idea? Adding some resistance to an elliptical, for example? While adding TOO much resistance may not be a good idea there is no way in hell that I would be able to do HIIT at 0 on an elliptical. You need some resistance, even if its low. Im sure not all elliptical machines are the same but when I do HIIT (rarely) I set it to 10 (I think, since its been a while), but no less than 8.
    Due his posts, I don't think he's used to do High Intensity exercises. Would be better if get used before adding resistance.

I was talking about weight not resistance, cuz sounds he was thinking about do HIIT at some unusual way.
    Weight:

critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Man, you're seriously saying stuff I totally disagree with, to put it mildly. If he turns up the resistance and burns his muscles for 30s. he's not gonna self-catabolize. Burning your muscles up, stressing them, is just a matter of lifting the weight resistance. That's not my approach to hit, personally, but it's certainly one approach. It'll get his heart rate up, too.

Due his posts, I don't think he's used to do High Intensity exercises. Would be better if get used before adding resistance.

I was talking about weight not resistance, cuz sounds he was thinking about do HIIT at some unusual way.
    I don't agree. That's the equivalent of saying you should lift 5lb dumbbells when you start lifting weights because you have never lifted in your life. There is no reason not to push yourself when you first start.

Originally Posted by critterbug View Post
    Man, you're seriously saying stuff I totally disagree with, to put it mildly. If he turns up the resistance and burns his muscles for 30s. he's not gonna self-catabolize. Burning your muscles up, stressing them, is just a matter of lifting the weight resistance. That's not my approach to hit, personally, but it's certainly one approach. It'll get his heart rate up, too.
    You might be right. But that's not a kinda stuff I would when cutting.
    Weight:

I don't agree. That's the equivalent of saying you should lift 5lb dumbbells when you start lifting weights because you have never lifted in your life. There is no reason not to push yourself when you first start.
    Lift 5 lbs dumbbells is not a High Intensity exercise. In the other Hand, HIIT is. Can't compare them.

(I might be sounding rude, don't take me bad. English is not my first language)
    Weight:

porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) porsche11 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by aocilka11 View Post
    From personal experience, if your doing HIT cardio correctly, you will not be able to recover from a 30 second HIT bout with only 30 seconds of rest. You will need more along the lines of a minute and a half to two minutes to recover. The longer your session goes, the longer your rest periods will need to be.

Lift 5 lbs dumbbells is not a High Intensity exercise. In the other Hand, HIIT is. Can't compare them.

(I might be sounding rude, don't take me bad. English is not my first language)
    No worries. No rudeness found in your tone...but I still disagree. You argue that since he is not conditioned for HIIT that he shouldn't add resistance (resistance can come from different sources). I argue that you can and should add resistance when first starting out, just not too much. When you first start (HIIT, cardio, weights) you need take some time to figure out what you can do and maybe go a step higher than that. You should not feel too comfortable when you work out. You need to push yourself if you want to succeed.

No worries. No rudeness found in your tone...but I still disagree. You argue that since he is not conditioned for HIIT that he shouldn't add resistance (resistance can come from different sources). I argue that you can and should add resistance when first starting out, just not too much. When you first start (HIIT, cardio, weights) you need take some time to figure out what you can do and maybe go a step higher than that. You should not feel too comfortable when you work out. You need to push yourself if you want to succeed.
    When we start out is very likely we make expectations beyond our capability. Which leads to failure and lost of confidence. Most people can't deal with that, so them give up. Just check the Fat log, and see how many guys couldn't do they're extreme diets. Or look around at your gym and see how many guys will give up in the first month.

I'm not saying we shouldn't push ourself, that's absurd! Pushing ourselves is great, but you've to get confidence first.

HIIT by itself is a grueling exercise. If he is comfortable doing it ordinarily, he might be doing it wrong. Once and again, I've nothing against adding resistance, just think you don't need when you're starting -- unless he's a runner or anything like that.
    Weight:

Clearly we have two different opinions. I know what works for me and adding resistance worked. I didnt quit when I added resistance.
    In all honesty, I no longer do HIIT. Not because I can't handle it but because I find that dieting and lifting is enough for me to lose weight....and I hate cardio. But I digress.

Just got done with the workout

I did a 30 minute HIIT session. It takes me about 5-6 minutes to run to the gym and when I got there my heart rate according to the elliptical was 125 bpm so I got my heart rate up to 160 before I started. I did a one minute high intensity session followed by three minutes of rest and repeated it. I think I got 7 high intensity sessions in.

According to the heart rate monitor, my heart rate did not fall below 166 bpm during rest and was between 176-188 BPM during the high intensity portion. All workouts were done on a 10% incline on a level eight resistance (whatever level eight resistance is).

How do those figures fair?

"GO BIG OR GO HOME" 208-need-175's Avatar
    208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 208-need-175 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For me, HIIT on the tredmill is walk for a min on 3.5, sprint for a min on 10.0. Rinse,wash, n repeat. Do for 20 mins.

You can also do the same on the stair master which I prefer.
    "Your not your ****ing khaki's."

"If your not growing your stagnating."

An optimal HIIT routine is usually 30-60 seconds sprint and the same amount of time jog. I guess what you did is OK to start but a real HIIT session will last 15-20 minutes total and should leave you hating life.
    I would worry more about the effort you put in than your HR figures but if you really want to use the HR figures go here and plug in your numbers: http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htm (part of bb.com)

An optimal HIIT routine is usually 30-60 seconds sprint and the same amount of time jog. I guess what you did is OK to start but a real HIIT session will last 15-20 minutes total and should leave you hating life.
    I would worry more about the effort you put in than your HR figures but if you really want to use the HR figures go here and plug in your numbers: http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htm (part of bb.com)
    crap I guess I'll have to do that one minute on, one minute off for 20 minutes tomorrow.

You can try the Little Method: 60 seconds intense and 75 seconds of rest. Repeating 8 up to 12 cycles.

HIIT is not suppose to be easy.
    Weight:

Update

I did the one minute on, one minute off for 20 minutes program today on a 4% incline and it was pretty tough. I felt pretty dead for about 2-3 minutes right after the workout and I felt a bit uneasy in the stomach after my ab workouts after the HIIT session. With this in mind, I won't be doing it again tomorrow because I will be lifting but it didn't leave me in a state where if I wanted to, I could do it again tomorrow.

Should I increase the difficulty the next time I do it? Would increasing the incline or adding more time be a more effective strategy? I noticed my heart rate was right where it was yesterday after the high intensity session, but my resting heart rate during the one minute off was higher and didn't fall below 174. I am assuming this is so just because my rest sessions were a minute rather than three minutes.

^ Its recommended that you do a max of 3 HIIT sessions a week. How people can do leg work and HIIT on the same day (even the next day) is beyond me. Either they arent doing HIIT hard enough or leg work hard enough. HIIT is brutal.

Oh, and as for upping the incline, you can use that as progression but I wouldnt do that this week. Maybe next week. And definitely dont go over 20 minutes. If you can do more than 20 minutes then you need to up resistance (incline) or sprint harder.

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Update

I did the one minute on, one minute off for 20 minutes program today on a 4% incline and it was pretty tough. I felt pretty dead for about 2-3 minutes right after the workout and I felt a bit uneasy in the stomach after my ab workouts after the HIIT session. With this in mind, I won't be doing it again tomorrow because I will be lifting but it didn't leave me in a state where if I wanted to, I could do it again tomorrow.

Should I increase the difficulty the next time I do it? Would increasing the incline or adding more time be a more effective strategy? I noticed my heart rate was right where it was yesterday after the high intensity session, but my resting heart rate during the one minute off was higher and didn't fall below 174. I am assuming this is so just because my rest sessions were a minute rather than three minutes.

You got to stop worrying about your HR. Yes, it's part of the equation but it's not everything. If you pushed as hard as your body would let you, you're on the right track.

The sickness you spoke of is a good thing, IMO. It means you worked your ass off and pushed your limits. Good Job. Just don't hurt yourself. lol

I would keep the difficulty level where it's at for a few more sessions and then increase your high intensity intervals for a few more seconds.

...also, 20 min of HIIT is long. Does this 20min session include warm up and cool down? Most recommendations i've seen are 15min.

btw, are you training for something, why so much HIIT?

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..