Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My journal.

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)

My journal.

Just an online place to log my progress.

Currents... weight (we will see in the am)
    Goals...drop to sub 15% bodyfat.

athletic goals... get in better shape for mma, grappling, kickboxing. I have been around martial arts for most of my life, but I have yet to compete professionally... this is the highest goal of mine. I am almost 33 now, while it's not technically OLD, it is knocking on the door of "I wish I did that when I was younger" ... and I don't want to get any older with that ringing in my mind.

I am staying in Brazil now, for a few months. Going to get in some quality training. I will also log that and some other experiences. I would like to compete professionally within the year or very close to it. Then, who knows... It would be nice to inspire people and collect a paycheck doing something I love and feel the most at home doing someday.

hitting the hay on day one of this blog...
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 05-21-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Mirin'triceps peak? Thanks westside barbell.

Gettin'older, studying MMA in Brazil gonna fight soon, on my own crew.

wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000) wanaBsedated is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think I have finalized the diet for now at least to kick off my weight loss. I am going tobe using a balanced diet with mediterranean influences... lots of olive oil, more fish than is typically consumed and a healthy supply of veggies. I weighed in this morning on wii lmao... i have to find a scale I can use regularly. It is normally very accurate so... oh well. I weighed about 106,5 kilograms or 234.5 pounds. Which is not as bad as I thought I was. However maybe I am speaking too soon as I have been sick lately...(strep, fever, gastro issues)

anyway. at least I have the beginning of the formula. I hope to see 100 kilos (220) soon. It is my first weight goal.

salmon omelet with arugula side salad.
    more later.

...continued day 3

it's ****ed up how getting a little sick can stick with you. I have anazlyzed a few things about my diet plan and while I had planned to do a CKD diet, I think it is best for now that I stick to a more rational plan... I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and when looking to my past it was usually worse when I was cutting carbohydrates. I may in the future trial the plan again, but very carefully. FOr now I want to get my health on track VS just trying to lose pure pounds so that is where I will start.

So, ended up at the gym and could only stomach a few lifts as I am still getting nauseated.

Leg press 5x10-12
    Rows 5x 8-12
    straight arm pulldowns...3x12,10,6
    walk my ass back home shaky and frustrated.

GOnna cook some lean meat spaghetti and meat sauce and do some slow cardio and stretching of some sort. Will update later.

Hopefully I will be able to amp it up tomorrow and return to MMA asap.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 05-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Lightbulb

Damn... unfortunately I've been laid up by some Brazilian Mega throat infection. I thought I was in the clear but I relapsed. I believe I will be able to train in the morning. Lets hope. I'm just sitting here on floor 13 trying to get some rest to fend it off a step further. Lots going through my mind while I stare at the city which amazingly isn't crazy with traffic. Sorry for the slow start but I'm not giving up.

Hey... chilling listening to renato Russo. Do yourself a favor a find it on YouTube.

More good news? Finally an intense day ..well sorta. I definitely burned off fat tissue and took a good step.

Started insanity just for something to help me stay on a schedule every day to motivate everything else in the morning. So yup, did my fit test and it sucked lol. That and later went to the gym and did this...

Speed bench 175 (lighttt) 5x5 no rest then..
    Seated calves 5x8 no rest then...
    one arm rows same protocol as bench.
    rested o.e minute between tri set

Second
    plyo push ups 3x5 then
    Weighted crunches 3x15 then..
    Side neck 3x10

3rd
    Heavier lever bench 3x6
    Machine rows 3x6-8

4th
    Lever incline 3x8
    One arm leverage row 3x6-8

5th did an fts7 thing
    Machine flyes 7x6-10 immediately ...
    Machine bench 7x8 or 10
    Flexed between sets and rested about 40s between as well.

Then as I was short on time I walked my big ass up the rua and back home.

Love the **** out of my gym btw ...more amanha good night sweet princes.

Holy shiot fellas... sorry lol I havent been on in a while as I have been way out of the city, away in a small town called Barao, Brazil. I ended up cheating a bit because it was basically a huge party and get togetherart.. but I lost it all and I am less than when I first started this blog. So that is going well

I started a run schedule and have been tweaking my carbs a bit, but staying out of a long term ketogenic state. I am stronger, leaner and have better wind.

I am about to head to the gym to kill my abs
    Today: 2 mile run I have to work to get that under 15 minutes again. Preferably 13...but I will probably do it in the 17 min range as I am still slow.

I am focusing on hip strength today with my ab workout so...
    hanging leg raises for speed 3 sets
    knee tucks with a dumbell 3 sets
    hip abduction machine for speed 3x
    muay thai knees with heavy ankle weights 3x20 for speed

Grip strength 5 sets of holds, wrist curls 3x
    Light chest work
    light benching 5x5
    incline leverage 3x 8-10
    dips 2xmax

light back work
    leverage rows 5x5
    pull overs 5x 15-20

biceps
    Hammer curls heavy
    straight bar curls 3x10-15

triceps - heavy day
    close bench 3x5-8
    lying extensions 3x5-8
    overhead extensions with barbell 2x 8-10
    pushdowns 2x10-20 rep out last set

push ups 3x

some burns on the exercise bike and a walk home.

Going to throw combinations later tonight also.

For your trouble some pics of Barao

place is amazing. srs. Frm fresh unpasturized milk, cheese and butter... pork and beed from right down the street and fresh baked bread every morning. The twon is also surrounded by mountains just like posted, everyone knows eachother... it's very surreal coming from a life in the US

whatup yo...

easy day.

hour of aerobic style cardio, hour of lifting and I paced up 100 flights of stairs.

I am down to about 228 I believe.

Toying with the idea of being a small heavy

Well, a lot of things have been going on here and I have had some struggles. I cut down to about 225, now I must be 230. We had a friend visit from Denmark and since then I have fell off the horse in Vacation mode and some relationship things have made certain issues difficult, or so I think. Really I need to reward myself with vacations when I accomplish goals and champs don't take holidays from being responsible and the ones that do become former champs fast and or their body starts giving up on them early. So I done screwed up. I am getting too long on this earth for this type of teenage drama... I still want an 8 year career on the side of the other things I am working on (degree and culturing myself through experiences). Yes, I do want to fight pro at some point.

Straight off the bat I am going to admit here for my own sake and for venting in my journal that I have some issues with anxiety and depression that have run me down for some years. I really want to beat them enough to accomplish goals. I may not really be completely free of struggle, but that's ok. I want to stop disappointing myself.

I am going to try to post motivational pics in this thread some days, so when I come here to blog I can fill my mind with a charge from visiualization. It's amazing how something as simple as seeing a picture can speak to your soul. If anyone has input to my motivation or support to offer, even music (classic rock/ metal) please do so.

I also have to address my difficulties in relationships. That seems to be an ongoing thing in my life. I both react negatively or act negatively and cause reactions. That isn't being a man and I am again, too good to keep this habit up and that is something many of us can do, respect ourselves.

On the workout side of things: I am looking into some oldschool lifting programs because I realized it was stupid to spend time burning calories from fat simply by parking on a treadmill. I know volume approaches aren't popular these days in a lot of cases, but hear me out. I have been delving into some stuff from Bill Pearl and Arnold reminding me that I miss also my 18.5"arms and 220 bodyweight along with that running ability. SO I want to transform my exercise habits as well and I will probably be starting a higher volume weight approach to my training along with cardio and classes. Classes of which I need to do more of... not to sound like a jerk, but I have always felt very natural with combat arts. It is something I have done since I was very young off and on... and I want to go back to the USA and un-disappoint my trainer who always wanted me to go pro before I go totally bald.

Lastnight was a rough night for me... so sorry if I am writing my life story, but I need to confront my issues and this is good for me to read in my own writing.

Another things is, I can't wait to go home and see my brothers. I have the positive people to train with. Both are former wrestling champs and one, Travis (someone who I believe could make the Olympics if he tried) just won his first grappling tourny.

SO yeah, here... gonna review some programs and probably build my volume, download some new music for the gym and hopefully kick some serious ass within this next year. Been in this for too long and it's getting too late for excuses.

Time to take my multi and man up.

- Jason.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.

basing a lot of my training on this just to refresh, to go back to my roots when I started lifting (age 14). I will cut, add volume or days as an experiment. http://www.billpearl.com/programs/programs.asp?d=1

Week one starting tomorrow. 3x week full body split, higher reps than a lot of programs. I will be using periodization on my core lifts like bench, deads, cleans. Week one will be only ONE set of 10-15 reps. I will start deadlifts especially light and add weight over the next 3 sessions till it starts to become difficult. I will do all reps with a semi explosive positive (controlled and smooth) and a decent pace negative portion.

weeks 1-4: total body, starting with 10 sets and ending with 24 per workout.
    Deadlifts 1-3 x 10-15 (will start with 15 and end with sets of 10, or try to)
    Bench Press 1-3 x 10-12
    upright row with a wider grip 1-3 x 10-12
    Reverse, close grip pulldowns 1-3 x 10-15 (preference on these, sometimes i like higher reps for lats)
    Overhead ez bar tricep 1-3 x 10-12
    pull overs 1-3 x 10-15
    hammer curls 1-3 x 10-12
    sit ups (yes sit ups) 1-2x 15+
    cable twists 1x 10-15 (my favorite hook trainer)
    leg raises on dip stand 1x up to 30 then weight.

stretch neck and us tension on days off as well as stretching of entire body... simple program of hamstring stretches, neck, shoulder for now. Relying on cardio to hit calves and deads/lat stuff to hit the forearms for the time being. Running at my weight always grows my tibialis and when I switch to chins: forearms as well.

Next month will be slightly more volume and a few heavier sets for chest, leg moves. probably a scheme like 12-10-8-8 by the end, month after will be sets of 10 -3 or 4 x5 and, then peak training for 3 weeks 10-5-5or7x3 last week is a strength test. On fridays of every week I will lower the weights I used to 60% or so and focus on explosive training for my last 2-3 sets on bench, O-lift, squat moves, deads, rows. So if the week calls for warm up x 15, medium x 10, 4x5, 1 heavy set then 3x 5 explosive subtracting the %. My next cycle will probably focus on endurance for part of the first phase using some bodyweight stuff like dips as an accessory. Something like.. Bench or inclines 3x12, then 2 sets of push ups or dips for reps maybe on monday, then speed fridays.

After 2-3 months I will introduce cleans from a hang and other olymp assists, while examining my recovery and volume.

Diet will be 2000-2500 calories per day. Don't make this complicated, get enough of each macro and avoid triggers for bad habits. Which for me are too much caffeine, alcohol (more than one drink a day more than two days in a row) and large meals with fats like pizza...when my anxiety acts up I also want sweets.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-23-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Everything done for friday intro, very easy. Nothing exciting at all. Saturdays will become my cardio training days soon and I may do some local runs here and there.

But today... basically rest/intro

deads 1x10 w/dumbells, bench 1x10 w/ 52kg (like hslf or less working weight lol), upright rows on smith 1x10 20kg plus machine (not balanced), pull overs 1x10/26kg, pulldowns 1x10 55kg, triceps 1x10 26kg, hammer curls 1x10 w/ 16kg, for some reason sit ups with feet high i cant do so i did crunches with a mini sit up, gonna secure feet nxt 1x15, cables 1x10ea, leg raises 1x15.

Basically starting at 40-50% adding weight every workout...On friday I start two sets per exercise and I will use previous weights as my explosive sets probably, as they will remain 60-65% weight days with a focus on explosion.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-24-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Upped the duration.

Sticking to basics on the lifting but cardio got done. Moderate cardio but cardio and I at least burned 1100 Cal's today.

Deadlift easy 52kg x10, 92kgx10
    Bench 50kgx10,90kgx10
    pulldowns 65kgx10
    Upright rows 2x18kg x 10
    Pull overs 30k x10
    DB triceps 30kg x 10
    Hammers 20kg x 10
    Sit ups 15
    Twisted 30x10ea
    Leg raises 15

Restarted running did a recovery, moderate run /walk 5 minute walk, run 5.5ish MPH / 2sets. Fast walk / 6mph run 2sets. Fast walk 6.7mph run...2sets. Duration :hour. Walked around Sao Paulo for about 2h.

Tomorrow I will run uphill at a slow pace for 20" to strengthen running muscles. And some bike plus some boxing work and flexibility, neck.

HI! Well, I have been sticking to the goals daily and I think I have my plan as far as cardio for the week and for gym cardio I am going to be sticking to swim, bike, run and also some circuits... total body cardio. Starting with running as a focus and slowly adding the biking as well as circuit type lifting here and there during my workouts. Still sticking to the same routine on the weights, but I will combine exercises to eliminate rest periods. I will continue to do so as I continue to add volume to the program... I will probably do it in phases however so I don't lose focus on getting power.

Tuesday ended up being a couple moderate runs at 5 minutes and some uphill hiking for an hour... so burned 700 or so's... did some MMA stuff on the side, but nothing crazy... combos, etc. Later however I saved my caloric intake for a night on the town and ended up drinking a regrettable amount... however we were entertaining a guest from England so I just went with it while I did definitely stayed under my caloric maintenance for the day I have got a bit of a headache now... it is bad to combine drinking with an antidepressant lol. Makes me a lightweight. Good for the diet though lol.

Today is ONLY going to be lifting and stretching. I will put together some new moves as well... Probably look over some folkstyle techniques and get some new ideas.

Today: STill keeping it easy-moderate.
    Deadlifts... not sure, back is a little stiff today, I may go light.
    Bench up to 90kgx10
    Reverse pulldowns 75x10
    upright rows 24kg + machine x 10
    pull overs, I have to switch to a bar, they have little dumbells: I will guess a 10kg bar + 25kg.
    Overhead triceps 10kg bar + 25kg:35kg
    Hammer curls 20's + 4kg wrist weights (lol, seriously) x 10 We are really short on DBs at my gym.
    Sit ups: 15
    Cable twists 35x10
    leg raises

Friday is adding some volume and doing explosion.
    Deadlifts warm up + 60kg, 2x10 explosive. (nothing as far as weight but thats not my concern today)
    Bench warm up + 60kg explosive using a medium grip.
    hang pulls 2x10 34kg
    pulldowns 2x10 normal speed
    pull overs 2x10
    tricep 2x10
    hammer curls 2x10
    sit ups 2x15
    twists 1x15
    leg raises 1x
    * combining deadlfts, sit ups, bench press, pulldowns, tricep, twists and leg raises, then pull overs, hammers.

Run schedule:
    monday - no run, uphill walk is an option.
    teusday - Interval run, mile run: 5-10 sets of 1-3"intervals finishing with a timed mile after a recovery period.
    wed - Recovery work...slow run, gym cardio, hike, etc. 30-90"depending on time/feel and intensity.
    th - Longer intervals to build sustained pace. 5+ minute, progressively shorter rest and higher speed as weeks go. I plan on this day becoming my 5k day, then adding distance up to 10k
    fri - NO run, easy bike is an option for now. Then some stair work... starting with 50 stories. (5x10 flights)
    sat Long slow, recovery run or hill work + easy bike. I plan on this day becoming a long distance day, when I do start longer slow twitch work I will have to alternate between high intensity runs and longer runs to try to reduce or eliminate slow twitch fiber conversion. I want to be a balance runner while strengthening all muscle fibers.
    sun Stretch, walk, normal life stuff. Nothing planned.

After 4 weeks I will deload cardio for 1 week and change, add things. After 2 x 4 week programs, I will deload weights as well for one week. Next deload comes after a max lift week. On which I will also alter my cardio plan. to only include one good sprint workout and easier stuff.

Cardio weeks / weights.
    1 above sched /program 1
    2 same + more effort /1
    3 ^ /1
    4 /1,2 starts friday Lower reps of 10-8-6
    5 /2 One day re-feed
    6 /2
    7 /2
    8 /2, nothing friday
    9 / deload both. short sprints on monday, stretching, goals/planning.2 days off diet. Porgram 3 starts on friday (strength phase 10 w-up, 5 w-up 3x5 on bigger lifts)no weekend cardio.

I will be adding Distance and speed to my runs weekly, probably on an alternating schedule. Or something close to it.

Chemical issues: Eliminating caffeine consumption slowly to only include it on days I really need a boost or before a really tough Run but only once a week. Caffeine is an important chemical that can be used as a training aid but only if you're deconditioned to it. SO i gotta do that.. **** I love coffee, but the mental health aspect of my life needs less of it. Also I tend to do a lot better in training if I rarely use it. I think my body has a pretty rough sensitivity to the stuff. I WAS one of those guys who would take ripped fuel and old school hydroxycut/ xenedrine with ephedrine lol when I was younger all the time... so take note people you need to cycle it.

Drinking: up to 7 drinks a week, healthy amount. A drink = 1 beer, glass of wine, 1 shot. this is probably taking my consumption down 30-50%. Depending on time of year.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.

minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great log man. What kind of mma training you doing over there?

Originally Posted by minandmax View Post
    Great log man. What kind of mma training you doing over there?
    Thanks... typical BJJ and MT. It's all they have here really. Lol I am doing my own thing as well. I don't want to forget the sambo, wrestling stuff so I do my own research in techniques.

Back from the GYM... had a great workout despite lastnight. It would have been better and that is really encouraging. I did a lil more weights than planned, but kept it easy going. Did 94kg on bench x10 easy...98kg deads easy... 40kg tricep extensions and pullovers. Both easy which is nice, I still have strong triceps.

Cardio went as follows and I feel amazing physically despite the headache...
    70 minutes parked on the mill (I know, but my weight training volume isn't what I need it to be to sub for easy cardio and its nearly impossible to run in sao paulo because of traffic) 10 minutes flat @ 4mph, 10"2% incline, 4% incline, 6% incline, 8% incline, flat then an easy run ...6-6.5mph, played with the incline a bit did five sets of incline from 1-3%. walked a good 20 minutes easy to cool down and warm up... with the weights I burned 1k cals easy. Chilling now and catching up with people from home... Can't wait till tomorrow.

PS My brother won a grappling tournement last week called king of the mat. Good for him and I Can't wait to go home and get some quality training with the kid.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-29-2012 at 06:12 PM.

minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000) minandmax is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ha, just noticed you're polish. Polksa gura (that's about the extent of what I can write). I'm 100% polish but born/raised in the U.S.

Ha, just noticed you're polish. Polksa gura (that's about the extent of what I can write). I'm 100% polish but born/raised in the U.S.
    LOL, It's all good. I am American also, but I have spent some time in the east, Poland. It's an amazing place. Most of my family is Polish roots and they are still going strong in the USA. I used to be able to speak more Polish myself.

On to the DAY... **** DAY, seriously disappointed. There is sort of a reason but I am no Jon Jones so I won't make excuses. Couldn't properly do my cardio so I ended up just doing my recovery work. I need to sort of my sleep schedule...

Still working on new moves

I am getting impatient about the lifting volume. I still fully intend to use volume as an approach to eliminate some of my less goal oriented calorie burning, but starting out as light as I have been, it is becoming an itch to lift more. Especially since muscle memory is starting to kick in and I can see my legs getting bigger and stronger nearly every day... I may start ramping up the volume a bit more soon by adding a few sets and probably an exercise to start... I also have been reviewing higher volume routines.

WOOO up early going to do my power training for the week... and today begins week 2 of the full body program. Which means I add a set per exercise. Today is going to be power focused, lightening all weights I used previously and focusing on the explosive positive. Obviously I am not going to go ballistic with hammer curls and pull overs, so I am not going to lighten then full 60-65%, but I am going to do them faster so I will take, I dunno, 10-20% off and explode up, lower slow. I am also going to switch out bench today for a leverage machine and fully release the weight on the positive portion. and catch it for a lowering. Its not as hard as it sounds and is safer than doing it on a smith and as I am lifting so light I will be fine. Going to stay in recovery zone for cardio today. My RHR was slightly higher than yesterday at 48bpm, its because of my rest not being adequate... working on it also. The reduction of caffeine over time will help. For now I am cutting all caffeine by 5pm.

Workout - light weights/ explosive
    Deadlifts: 70kg 2x10 explosive.
    Leverage bench with a throw 2x10 explosive
    Pulldowns - quick 2x10/ 55kg
    hang pulls with snatch grip 2x10/ 40kg
    Pull overs 2x10 30kg bell
    tricep 2x10 30kg bell
    hammer curls 2x10 18kg bells
    sit ups 2x15
    twists 1x20/40k
    leg raises 1x20

Recovery cardio: brisk walk

+++update+++ did the lifting in 2 full body circuits with little rest. Good news: I have a higher endurance threshold especially lifting... may do more later. Depends on the recovery
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 08-31-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Boring as **** weekend. GOing to take the weekend and just stay busy with no structured plan and today I am taking in 2,500 calories, tomorrow closer to 2k (very little activity compared to other days) with more protein than usual to aid recovery. I normally do what is recommended by science and take in about .6 - 7g per lb of LEAN body mass... so I just base it on 180 and get about 120-130... but I think a little more when I am doing more may be required occasionally and since I am not going to be using the carbs for a workout ...you know, eat functionally to support the hormones a lil more fat also. Monday I will start with a renewed attitude, as I need to do so. I am also probably going to be altering the program JUST A BIT.... adding in one exercise while keeping the base hypertrophy/strength-speed work.

EDIT: diet is a bit free today, just not in calories. Having a little coke, sausage in french bread and other stuff.

Mon: I am thinking about doing the same program with the difference of adding in jumping squats and swings... but I am also contemplating the fact that I can probably jump straight into something intense... decisions.

One split I am looking at for strength...
    1 full body or chest,legs,tri endurance... 30-50reps
    2 if not full body the rest
    3either rest if split or full body circuits with 8-10 reps...complexes probably
    4 if split full body here if not rest
    5 if split rest or legs,chest,tri POWER 3-6 reps and speed stuff
    6 if not ^ shoulders, biceps, back power 3-6 reps
    7 rest one -2 days

examining the cardio routine I think I will stick to this for the week coming

tues: sprints/walks
    wed: 30"recovery cardio
    thursday 5/5 intervals decending speed
    friday:60"recovery cardio
    saturday Longer run
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 09-02-2012 at 11:17 AM.

What up gais... returning after being busy for a few days. Monday I nailed cardio and did some high rep work as an experiment in between an interlude of trying to figure out a better strength routine for me an my lack of patience. I read programs spanning from 5-3-1 to westside barbell to everything in between and thought about my goals for strength which are:

Increasing my 1-5 rep max and total core power on major movers: great for wrestling explosion
    Increasing my muscle endurance so I need to include that in supplemental lifting
    Increasing carryover to cardio... so hamstrings and explosive training are important as well as flexibility and after some work I settled on a modified 5/3/1 with speed work using O-lifts and I am about to test it for a 4 week run. One thing I am changing on 5/3/1 is yes, I am going to use lighter weights for first sets, however the last set of 5 on 3x5 day will be maybe 2-3 shy of what Ic an do and if I get more than 10 on my last set I am immediately adding weight for my next workout, not waiting. Sorry purists. But I do like the basic workout design and layout...

I like the 4 day rotation 1:bench, shoulder O-lift, 2ff, 3:deadlifts, speed squat O-lift assistant, 4ff, 5: military, speed bench, 6: off, 7-off, 8 squat, cleans, repeat

another option is
    1 bench, military - alternating focus
    Like... Jerks 5 sets, bench 5/3/1, Military 5x8-10, dips weighted, chins or rows OR speed bench 5x, Military 5/3/1, bench 5x8-10, dips-reps, chins/rows...blah blah
    3 deadlift/squat - alternating focus
    Jump squat 5 sets low % Deads 5/3/1, squat 5x8-10, leg press 3x swings, abs, calves OR Cleans 5 sets, squat 5/3/1, snatch grip deads 5x8-10, good mornings 3x leg curls, abs, calves, etc
    5 repeat
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 09-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Ok yeah, back from my workout It was a bench, shoulder day and went swimmingly. I am not feeling well though so I had to skip some of the cardio... I was sweating like crazy and my RHR is 60 today which is 10bpm or so high for me.

SO here.
    Split jerk press 5x5 Light weights only about 105-110 pounds... starting at a low % adding 10% and doing 3's next. (slow progression with o lifts)

Bench press 3x5/1x14... need to go heavier next workout - going above 10 on a power day on a regular bases is pointless to some degree lol (I believe my bench press has degraded to about 260 pounds from barely training for a long time. lol)

Pendlay rows 3x5 (goal range is 5-15) 175 pounds
    This is where I will add wide grip upright rows next workout.
    Dips 3x8 (range is 6-15 weighted) No weight, went easy
    High rep dumbell rows 25, 15 reps (goal of 20-50) about 50 pounds (gym weight is kilos)
    Lying tricep extensions 3x8 (6-12) Easy with about 40kg or 88 pounds
    curls 3x8 (6-12) same as above
    sit ups 3 sets
    Adding cable twists next workout 3 sets
    neck tension
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 09-05-2012 at 07:59 PM.

I love how specific you are..means I can steal your routines. I'll probably try some of the lifts in your volume /explosion routine this week.

I love how specific you are..means I can steal your routines. I'll probably try some of the lifts in your volume /explosion routine this week.
    THANKS... I try to be specific, but it took me a while to find a base routine I am happy with. I am glad I took a couple weeks to get back to lifting and strength work, but after that the slow approach wasn't needed as the muscle memory is coming back. I am going to stick to basics and add in drills when my work capacity increases (that aerobic base work you love)

Still feelings alittle sick so I just burned some calories.

walked around the city a bit and ran for 20 minutes

deads/quads tomorrow

GYM WAS CLOSED... resume monday...****

HEY finally the gym opened up and I just got back from doing a mixed lifting, o-lifting workout. Went great.

Wide grip behind neck push presses - sets of 5 up to 70kg - got better at these as sets went on.
    Speed bench press (westside style) 5x2 - adding a set up to 8x2, only using 50-60% max focusing on form (finding a good arch and press point), pause and explosion.
    Strict standing military 5x8-10 reps (BBB style) 50-60 kilos. Experimented with stance. Trying to get a solid one.
    Dips... total of 30 reps
    Pull ups ... total of 25 or 30 in 6 sets... yes I have ****ty pull ups. I needed a lil assistance also.
    That's it for the strength stuff

I am using a BBB 5/3/1 template with the added dips and chins + olympic lifting and complexes for conditioing only occasional extra assistance work (curls and so on), depends on how I feel.

Then.. barbell complexes using a beginner intensity
    snatch grip deadlifts x 6
    hang cleans x 6
    squat and push press x 6
    good mornings x6
    power snatch x 6 (no attention to form here as the weight was too low)
    barbell rows x6

Did 3 rounds, 90 seconds rest, 30kg. adding a set each upper body day untill I hit 6 sets, then upping weight to 40-50kg, then decreasing rest, then harder exercises or more exercises.

walked home.

Thoughts,, I am going to join a new gym and it's either going to be here: brazilfightclub.com.br I know the guy and his recent record is good or Barbosa jiu jitsu...

Otherwise it's business as usual and tomorrow is squat and O day.

dips for a warm up 2 sets Light
    Push ups... 2 easy sets
    Inverted rows 2 sets
    - Normally I wouldn't do much for chest,ack but I have 3 days in between my bench workout.

Workout:
    Power snatches from the hip - light sets of 2
    Cleans from the hip sets of 2-3
    all done light.

Front squat for my warm up sets for back squat 3x3
    Squat 3x5+
    Overhead squat 5x8-10
    Split squat 2 sets
    calve raises - standing explosive sets 2x10
    calve press on leg press 2x15-20
    Sit ups 3 sets

Sprints on a MILL fun fun... and some practice stuff.

Next 2 workouts

Bench press 3x5+
    Superset with pendlay rows 3x5-10
    Easy split jerks 3x3
    Super set with assisted chins
    Bench press 5x8-10
    High rep DB rows 1 set
    Dips - 40 total reps
    2 dumbell hammer grip decline pull overs superset with curls for 2 sets 10-20 rep

After - complex
    snatch grip deads x 6
    power snatch x6
    hang cleans x6
    squat and push press x6
    good mornings x6
    rows x 6
    push ups x6
    - 4 rounds, 90s rest, 32kg bar

next... heavy O lifting assists (will become heavy clean and jerk, snatch day when I can do them)
    CLean grip hang pull - sets of one, then 2x2 after heavy single
    Jerks sets of 2 (working on form)
    deadlifts with a clean grip 3x5+
    snatch grip deadlifts 3x8-10
    snatch grip RDL 3x8-10
    leg curls 2x10-15
    snatch grip power shrugs 2x10, 1x20
    leg raises 3x
    calves... leg press calve 3x 20-15, 1x no weight for reps

later- easy 5k

I will also do something for neck regularly.
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 09-13-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Good news,

****ing awesome workout today. no lie. Back from my strength session.

Bench 3 warm up sets, 3x3, 3x1 using 531 method then up to 262 and was easy...
    Did a set up pulldowns between every bench set except last 2 singles so 6x8-10,
    snatch grip behind neck press - just extra shoulder hypertrophy work
    with explosive inverted rows 3x8... wanted to do pendlay rows, but my back is too sore and I am being safe.
    ..and rep db rows 1x10 each.. staying at same weight until 50 rep set achieved. Was very hard after the pulldowns to rep these.
    Dips... as many sets as it took to get to 35, forgot how many.
    Close grip incline for bench assistant... 2x8
    Twisting with cables 3x10

FOr some reason i had a massive brain fart and forgot to do my bench hypertrophy sets...

My back has been giving me some difficulty so I need to rest up a bit

whatsup fools... I am still around, I just haven't been on here much as we have been really busy.

Today's workout so far.

Dynamic effort bench press 9x3 with 60 kilos and a doubled band
    military press seated/full rom 3x4-6 with 180,,, its a lot harder when you go down to your chest
    Close grip bench press with band 3x4-5 reps 200 pounds plus the band.
    dips 3x10
    overhead one arm extensions 3 sets of 4-6 reps with a dumbell of about 40 pounds
    explosive sit ups 5x5 with 22 pounds on chest.
    side bends 5x5 alternating, no rest
    rear neck 2x15
    rotator cuff work.

30 minutes of explosive bag work.

Later I have a run for calories. So moderate paced for maybe 45 minutes and I am going to hit some push ups and sit ups.

Tomorrow 6 rounds of this complex with about 96 pounds...
    row, upright row, press, good morning, split squats, squat and press, deadlifts.

then a 5 round run. Run at a pace 3 minutes, increase pace 4th and 5th, one minute rest, repeated 5x

stretching and practice.

wed will be
    max effort squat.... I will do deadlifts this day for a max then 3 more singles at 90% with small plates.
    overhead squats 3x10-20
    hyperextension 3x10-20 supersetted with hip abduction 3x10-20
    leg curls 3x6-10
    heavy rows for a 3 rep max and another 5 reps total.
    one arm pause rows 3x10-15
    rope curls 3 sets
    rear delt 3x10-15
    leg raises and twisting

clean complex power clean to hang clean to hang clean and jerk 10 x on the minute.

kicking bag work and another form of cardio moderate pace
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 11-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.

lol well the gym was closed for another random brazilian holiday wed and yesdterday so I am finally in today and hit max effort bench day.

Nailed a 252 pound close grip with a band... not sure how much the resistance is, but I believe it to be around 80 pounds. ZTried to hit a triple afterwards but 9only got one.
    then did a couple sets of close grip push ups ..30, 20
    then did one arm handle grip triceps overhead for 30 total reps with about 40 pounds
    THEN did a couple high rep sets of pushdowns 20, 17
    chest supported row with a pause 15,15,8,8 reps
    rear delt on cables 3x8
    hands facing leverage press 3x 10,8,6
    rear neck 2x15

back for cardio later

Lifting tomorrow is as follows...
    Dynamic effort lower body.
    bench squat 10x2
    stand on band pulls 8x1
    Bent good mornings ramping to a heavy 5-8
    split squats 3x8-10
    shrugs 2-3x10-20
    leg raises 3x
    weighted knees 3x
    calves
    Last edited by wanaBsedated; 11-16-2012 at 12:00 PM.